Downtown Interstate

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

bones
New to the Neighborhood

Downtown Interstate

Post by bones »

Hey all, I am new here but frequently use this forum to keep up to date on developments going on in Omaha. I guess I just have a pretty simple question regarding our interstates downtown (I-480 in particular), and that is: what is the plausibility of inlaying the interstates? I feel like I-480 in particular is a major barrier dividing the downtown, not to mention the fact that all the land underneath the interstate is at best limited in its functionality. Not sure if this has been discussed before but was just wondering on why Omaha decided to go that way.
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

Re: Downtown Interstate

Post by PotatoeEatsFish »

bones wrote:Hey all, I am new here but frequently use this forum to keep up to date on developments going on in Omaha. I guess I just have a pretty simple question regarding our interstates downtown (I-480 in particular), and that is: what is the plausibility of inlaying the interstates? I feel like I-480 in particular is a major barrier dividing the downtown, not to mention the fact that all the land underneath the interstate is at best limited in its functionality. Not sure if this has been discussed before but was just wondering on why Omaha decided to go that way.
Forumers have talked about how they could cover it around Midtown with a park. They have something like that in Dallas. I'm not sure why they planned it that way. I think the overhead section into Council Bluffs should have parking garages and parks below it. At this moment theyre seen as a barrier but with a little work it could be seen as an asset.
#SaveTheUglyGrainSilos2024
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

It's definitely a barrier between NDT and downtown. Really the only option to eliminate it as a barrier would be to build a tunneled section through the downtown area that would emerge before the Missouri bridge.

A project like that would most likely be in the possible billions of dollars range, so I don't see anything happening soon.
nebraska
Library Board

Post by nebraska »

Linkin5 wrote:It's definitely a barrier between NDT and downtown. Really the only option to eliminate it as a barrier would be to build a tunneled section through the downtown area that would emerge before the Missouri bridge.

A project like that would most likely be in the possible billions of dollars range, so I don't see anything happening soon.
Why is that the only option?

I think the other option of just making it a six lane boulevard is better. Drop the highway down to street level and only keep 10,13,16,20,24 as cross streets.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Tunneling wouldn't make much sense for this stretch between the very short area it actually goes, the water table is an issue closer to the river and the need to get high enough to go over the river.

Would I would support it demoing it when it becomes no longer structurally sound and instead of rebuilding we make it a well manicured boulevard along the north side of DT. There really isn't all that much traffic on that stretch of 480 and that would really enhance the appearance of DT and IMO would do wonders to make walking from DT to NDT more connected.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

iamjacobm wrote:Tunneling wouldn't make much sense for this stretch between the very short area it actually goes, the water table is an issue closer to the river and the need to get high enough to go over the river.

Would I would support it demoing it when it becomes no longer structurally sound and instead of rebuilding we make it a well manicured boulevard along the north side of DT. There really isn't all that much traffic on that stretch of 480 and that would really enhance the appearance of DT and IMO would do wonders to make walking from DT to NDT more connected.
Tunneling would only make sense if the tunnel continued under the river over to west CB, instead of trying to get back up to the bridge from the tunnel. That might actually be very beneficial to the riverfront all the way from the Kerrey bridge down to HOA and further south. Waterproofing can take care of the water table problem, like tunnels always have to deal with. The problem would be providing enough space to access the tunnel from DT....but maybe it would only need one access point around 17th-19th or 13th-14th. But I think you're right that there isn't really that much through-traffic bypassing DT on I-480. Most I-480 traffic is coming and going to/from DTO, rather than passing through.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Portion of I-480 in Omaha to close for one month

Interstate 480 will soon be closed in some sections for one month.

According to the Nebraska Department of Transportation, I-480 westbound from Dodge Street to 17th Street will be closed started July 5 at 9 a.m. to August 5 at 9 p.m. The 13th and 14th Street ramps to I-480 westbound will also be closed. All traffic on I-480 westbound will need to take Exit 4 and follow Dodge Street to the 17th Street ramp back to I-480 westbound.
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

What a waste of money, tear it down instead
hankdattt
New to the Neighborhood

Post by hankdattt »

I'm thinking the best solution would be some kind of "lid" or "cap" over some of the sections of 480 that split downtown and midtown. This sort of thing is utilized in a ton of cities around the US, citynerd on YouTube has some videos talking about them.
Edit: it's been mentioned here before https://fox42kptm.com/news/local/greate ... g-downtown
Hopefully wasn't a lame April fool's post of some kind lol
Turtle9160
Home Owners Association

Post by Turtle9160 »

Weren't proposals for a lid on part of 480 and the demolition of the viaduct in the most recent downtown plan?
Athomsfere
Planning Board

Post by Athomsfere »

Turtle9160 wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:26 pm Weren't proposals for a lid on part of 480 and the demolition of the viaduct in the most recent downtown plan?
Yes.

The lids were next to MTC. The tearing out and removing the 19th street ramp were both more in the future and less certain from memory.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

3D Model View of I-480 Freeway Retrofit
Athomsfere
Planning Board

Post by Athomsfere »

Coyote wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:51 pm Image
3D Model View of I-480 Freeway Retrofit
It's probably too far into the future to work but: Union Omaha needs a downtown stadium...
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

Fair, but......the land where 480 currently sits would not work for a soccer stadium.
Athomsfere
Planning Board

Post by Athomsfere »

NEDodger wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:23 pm Fair, but......the land where 480 currently sits would not work for a soccer stadium.
You're probably right. But I feel like you could just squeeze one in on 13th, 14th, and 15th with a little luck. Tight squeeze though if you left it at grade.
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

Athomsfere wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:22 pm
NEDodger wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:23 pm Fair, but......the land where 480 currently sits would not work for a soccer stadium.
You're probably right. But I feel like you could just squeeze one in on 13th, 14th, and 15th with a little luck. Tight squeeze though if you left it at grade.

It’s not just the field, though - with the necessary seating, admission gates, etc. it just physically couldn’t fit. Creighton’s field is wider than a city block, and presumably Union Omaha would want more seats than Creighton’s arena.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Iowa DOT announces new construction for those traveling to Council Bluffs

COUNCIL BLUFFS, Iowa (KMTV) — There are some new upcoming closures and detours to be aware of. In addition to the I-480 east-bound closure in Omaha from Aug. 23 until Sept. 23, there will be ongoing construction activities on the I-29/I-480/West Broadway System Interchange. This will lead to temporary lane, ramp and road closures. Officials ask that you plan ahead and follow detours.

skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Anyone know anything about pavement and the overlays that they are using on 480? I hate them, sure they look nice for a year or two but especially on a bridge, I would much rather have concrete.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

6 First Alert Traffic: Ramp from Douglas Street to eastbound I-480 closed

The ramp from Douglas Street to eastbound Interstate 480 will be closed for the next two work weeks.(WOWT)
A major traffic route from Omaha to Council Bluffs will see some traffic disruptions over the next two weeks. The on-ramp from Douglas Street to I-480 eastbound closed Monday morning and will remain blocked off for traffic until the evening hours of Oct. 14. During that time, a good alternate route will be to get on I-480 at 14th Street, then continue east. Traffic along I-480 will not be impacted by this closure.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

What a year for construction on major roadways. Such a pain, I know in the long run it will be good, but seems like everywhere you go there is construction right now.