Official: Capitol District

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: nebugeater, Coyote, Omaha Cowboy, Brad

User avatar
OmahaJaysCU
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1975
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:00 pm

Re: Official: Capitol District

Postby OmahaJaysCU » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:38 pm

On KETV last night Mike Moylan said the plaza will have a screen. Maybe they changed their minds.

User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 6069
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Official: Capitol District

Postby Omaha Cowboy » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:57 pm

OmahaJaysCU wrote:On KETV last night Mike Moylan said the plaza will have a screen. Maybe they changed their minds.


Perhaps those who jumped off are now back on the project bandwagon if this news is indeed true :;): ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!

User avatar
Brad
City Council
Posts: 28324
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
Contact:

Re: Official: Capitol District

Postby Brad » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:24 am

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
OmahaJaysCU wrote:On KETV last night Mike Moylan said the plaza will have a screen. Maybe they changed their minds.


Perhaps those who jumped off are now back on the project bandwagon if this news is indeed true :;): ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace


There was a local news story (Sorry, I can't remember where) in the past few days that actually showed renderings of the video screens.
Image
Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
http://www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
http://www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
@bradwphoto on Twitter
Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce Member

User avatar
skinzfan23
County Board
Posts: 5122
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Omaha/Bellevue

Re: Official: Capitol District

Postby skinzfan23 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:34 am

The story on KETV showed some renderings. Looks like a large tv screen not a giant video board. It was also a little confusing because they showed 3 different views of it and they all looked slightly different. In the video below, around the 1:15 mark.


Capitol District nearing completion, new hotel opening

User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 6069
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Official: Capitol District

Postby Omaha Cowboy » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:34 pm

Well, the KETV story does call it a "large video screen".. It doesn't appear to be a Jumbotron, but there appears to be a video screen planned..

After we were lead to believe we would not have it, it's "reappearance" in the plan is a welcome addition...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!

MadMartin8
Planning Board
Posts: 2084
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:48 pm
Location: Beyond Thunderdome

Re: Official: Capitol District

Postby MadMartin8 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:40 pm

What is the difference between a "large video board/screen" and a Jumbotron/Large TV screen?

:shrug:

Edit: I guess it's not as big, that's the difference. I see from the video it's not huge screen.
No posts exist for this topic

MTO
City Council
Posts: 7844
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:49 am
Location: Dundee

Re: Official: Capitol District

Postby MTO » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:38 pm

MadMartin8 wrote:What is the difference between a "large video board/screen" and a Jumbotron/Large TV screen?

:shrug:

Edit: I guess it's not as big, that's the difference. I see from the video it's not huge screen.


No kidding
15-17, 26, 32

Greg S
County Board
Posts: 3571
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am

Re: Official: Capitol District

Postby Greg S » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:28 am

Omaha Cowboy wrote:Well, the KETV story does call it a "large video screen".. It doesn't appear to be a Jumbotron, but there appears to be a video screen planned..

After we were lead to believe we would not have it, it's "reappearance" in the plan is a welcome addition...

Ciao..LiO...Peace



I agree. If they have a permanent one, that will be great. They have the one going in Power and Light a ton. We were just down there a few weeks ago. And every time we went (including Sunday morning) it was on.


Greg

User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 6069
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Official: Capitol District

Postby Omaha Cowboy » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:40 pm

Greg S wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:Well, the KETV story does call it a "large video screen".. It doesn't appear to be a Jumbotron, but there appears to be a video screen planned..

After we were lead to believe we would not have it, it's "reappearance" in the plan is a welcome addition...

Ciao..LiO...Peace



I agree. If they have a permanent one, that will be great. They have the one going in Power and Light a ton. We were just down there a few weeks ago. And every time we went (including Sunday morning) it was on.


Greg


I think that is the key- the large video screen being a permanent addition..as opposed to a part time feature. I've seen the one at P&L and it adds much to the feel of the development.. In a positive way imo...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!

Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations
Posts: 522
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:16 pm

Re: Official: Capitol District

Postby Omaha_corn_burner » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:59 pm

MadMartin8 wrote:What is the difference between a "large video board/screen" and a Jumbotron/Large TV screen?

A TV is different from a monitor or screen in that it has a tuner built in. Otherwise there's no different between a monitor/screen/video board/jumbotron. They are all just video displays.

Jumbotron was trademarked by Sony
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumbotron

User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 8776
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Midtown

Re: Official: Capitol District

Postby iamjacobm » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:46 am

Hotel is supposed to officially open today.

User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 6069
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Official: Capitol District

Postby Omaha Cowboy » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:17 pm

iamjacobm wrote:Hotel is supposed to officially open today.


Yes..

Officially open today..and a welcome/long time coming addition to the downtown accommodation "scene" :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!

swgiust
Home Owners Association
Posts: 143
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:17 am
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: Official: Capitol District

Postby swgiust » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:16 pm

Are there any floor plans available that show were the bars are in the lobby??

EricHaley
Home Owners Association
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:16 pm
Location: Benson
Contact:

Re: Official: Capitol District

Postby EricHaley » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:37 am

Construction elevator on the apartments is coming down today

nebraska
Home Owners Association
Posts: 151
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:12 am
Location: Midtown

Re: Official: Capitol District

Postby nebraska » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:07 pm

Has anyone been in the apartments, and possibly have an opinion of them?

User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 6069
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Official: Capitol District

Postby Omaha Cowboy » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:14 pm

nebraska wrote:Has anyone been in the apartments, and possibly have an opinion of them?


I'd love to hear any opinions on the apartment interior as well.. Interested in any feedback...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!

User avatar
Uffda
Planning Board
Posts: 3027
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:52 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: Official: Capitol District

Postby Uffda » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:14 am

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
nebraska wrote:Has anyone been in the apartments, and possibly have an opinion of them?


I'd love to hear any opinions on the apartment interior as well.. Interested in any feedback...

Ciao..LiO...Peace



In this video on the Marriott they did show a one bedroom apt at about 2:40.

http://www.omaha.com/money/marriott-in- ... de4f7.html

User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 6069
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Official: Capitol District

Postby Omaha Cowboy » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:35 am

Uffda wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:
nebraska wrote:Has anyone been in the apartments, and possibly have an opinion of them?


I'd love to hear any opinions on the apartment interior as well.. Interested in any feedback...

Ciao..LiO...Peace



In this video on the Marriott they did show a one bedroom apt at about 2:40.

http://www.omaha.com/money/marriott-in- ... de4f7.html


I missed that one..

Thanks :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!

User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 20408
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Three floors down
Contact:

Re: Official: Capitol District

Postby Coyote » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:58 am

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (60.69 KiB) Viewed 372 times

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (63.8 KiB) Viewed 372 times

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (63.27 KiB) Viewed 372 times

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (77.73 KiB) Viewed 372 times
Image

nebraska
Home Owners Association
Posts: 151
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:12 am
Location: Midtown

Re: Official: Capitol District

Postby nebraska » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:37 am

Okay, I went into the apartment building. It is nice, but for the price, not among the nicest in the downtown area. At least they didn't cheap out on all the features for the sake of cramming more units. The kitchen has enough cabinetry, actually. The bedroom has a ceiling fan and is carpeted. The bathroom is not cramped.

Personally, I'm considering a 10th floor unit, about $1290/mo. But it comes with a balcony that faces downtown, so that's neat. What I found odd is that the west-facing balcony apartments have living room windows that don't open.

Pros: direct connection to the ballpark, convention center, riverfront, Gene Leahy Mall, downtown library, pedestrian bridge to Iowa trailheads, Old Market, tons of downtown activities, Slowdown and Film Streams.

Cons: no grocery (with Patrick's closing) besides Cubbys, no late-night convenience shopping (such as 24hrs CVS), east facing apartments have a great view of I480, and the higher price, I have to trade my walk-to-work commute for a longer bus ride.

Sorry, I didn't take any pictures of the insides.

User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 6069
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Official: Capitol District

Postby Omaha Cowboy » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:19 pm

nebraska wrote:Okay, I went into the apartment building. It is nice, but for the price, not among the nicest in the downtown area. At least they didn't cheap out on all the features for the sake of cramming more units. The kitchen has enough cabinetry, actually. The bedroom has a ceiling fan and is carpeted. The bathroom is not cramped.

Personally, I'm considering a 10th floor unit, about $1290/mo. But it comes with a balcony that faces downtown, so that's neat. What I found odd is that the west-facing balcony apartments have living room windows that don't open.

Pros: direct connection to the ballpark, convention center, riverfront, Gene Leahy Mall, downtown library, pedestrian bridge to Iowa trailheads, Old Market, tons of downtown activities, Slowdown and Film Streams.

Cons: no grocery (with Patrick's closing) besides Cubbys, no late-night convenience shopping (such as 24hrs CVS), east facing apartments have a great view of I480, and the higher price, I have to trade my walk-to-work commute for a longer bus ride.

Sorry, I didn't take any pictures of the insides.


Thanks for posting those picks Mark..

And also thanks for the feedback nebraska. If I wasn't tied into a mortgage and my west Omaha home, I'd give the Capitol District serious consideration...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!


Return to “Urban Omaha Development”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests