HDR Aksarben Office

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, Omaha Cowboy, Brad, nebugeater

mgoett
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:45 pm

Re: HDR Aksarben Office

Postby mgoett » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:55 pm

OH nice to know. :D

User avatar
OmahaJaysCU
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1984
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:00 pm

Re: HDR Aksarben Office

Postby OmahaJaysCU » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:07 pm

Louie wrote:
OmahaJaysCU wrote:
nativeomahan wrote:
mgoett wrote:Well it is all good in my opinion. Omaha is booming and another ten years Douglas county should be full. Maybe not north but prolly to the Platte. Awe heck prolly North too.


Umm. Not hardly. Douglas County won't run out of developable land during the lifetime of anyone on this forum.

The last MAPA number I saw was 30-40 years of land supply left in DC at the current pace.

Does this number take into account what gets built in sarpy instead of Douglas?

It was at a presentation from Mapa officials that I saw and frankly I couldn't tell you where it was. The number was more alluding to absorption specifically in Douglas county. I would assume it was extrapolating a trend of acres absorbed per year then compared to the gross number of developable acres left. There was a Sarpy County number too but it was huge, maybe 80-100.

I'll see if I can find the slide show somewhere.

User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 20627
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Three floors down
Contact:

Re: HDR Aksarben Office

Postby Coyote » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:52 pm

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (148.34 KiB) Viewed 2133 times

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (214.14 KiB) Viewed 2133 times
Image

User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 6181
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: HDR Aksarben Office

Postby Omaha Cowboy » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:12 pm

Just imagine this building downtown..and about 15 stories taller.. Sigh..

*height obsession noted* ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!

User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 20627
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Three floors down
Contact:

Re: HDR Aksarben Office

Postby Coyote » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:14 am

Tree and flag up on building!
Image

buildomaha
Home Owners Association
Posts: 187
Joined: Tue May 31, 2016 7:06 pm

Re: HDR Aksarben Office

Postby buildomaha » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:48 pm

Coyote wrote:Tree and flag up on building!

Is this a thing for construction? What does it mean? I see it all the time!

User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 8857
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Midtown

Re: HDR Aksarben Office

Postby iamjacobm » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:51 pm

buildomaha wrote:
Coyote wrote:Tree and flag up on building!

Is this a thing for construction? What does it mean? I see it all the time!


Topping out tradition.

User avatar
Brad
City Council
Posts: 28477
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
Contact:

Re: HDR Aksarben Office

Postby Brad » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:07 pm

Fire Truck with lights going, fire captain SUV, MUD, and OPPD all by the north gate right now.
Image
Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
http://www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
http://www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
@bradwphoto on Twitter
Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce Member

User avatar
Brad
City Council
Posts: 28477
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
Contact:

Re: HDR Aksarben Office

Postby Brad » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:38 pm

As posted above, building was topped out today. While I only live about mile from Aksarben, I really haven't photographed the progress much. With a 6 month old at home, I just don't have the time. It felt great to get out after work today and capture a few images before the sun set.

1. My favorite
Image

2. Wider view from the above angle
Image

3. Traditional Tree and Flag
Image

4. Looking South
Image

5. Looking North East
Image
Image
Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
http://www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
http://www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
@bradwphoto on Twitter
Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce Member

hatwate
Home Owners Association
Posts: 150
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:25 pm
Location: Aksarben Village

Re: HDR Aksarben Office

Postby hatwate » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:35 am

iamjacobm wrote:
buildomaha wrote:
Coyote wrote:Tree and flag up on building!

Is this a thing for construction? What does it mean? I see it all the time!


Topping out tradition.

I was curious about the tree part of this. Wikipedia says "The practice of "topping out" a new building can be traced to the ancient Scandinavian religious rite of placing a tree atop a new building to appease the tree-dwelling spirits displaced in its construction.[2]"

User avatar
HR Paperstacks
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1702
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:39 pm
Location: Midtown Crossing

Re: HDR Aksarben Office

Postby HR Paperstacks » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:26 pm

Brad wrote:Fire Truck with lights going, fire captain SUV, MUD, and OPPD all by the north gate right now.

What ever happened with this?

User avatar
Brad
City Council
Posts: 28477
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
Contact:

Re: HDR Aksarben Office

Postby Brad » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:26 pm

HR Paperstacks wrote:
Brad wrote:Fire Truck with lights going, fire captain SUV, MUD, and OPPD all by the north gate right now.

What ever happened with this?


Not sure. UNO Security showed up and OPPD was over talking to them. OPPD was also working on a transformer by FDR. Fire Truck was there the whole time I was taking all those photos.
Image
Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
http://www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
http://www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
@bradwphoto on Twitter
Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce Member

FirebirdEngineer
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:26 pm

Re: HDR Aksarben Office

Postby FirebirdEngineer » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:21 pm

Brad wrote:
HR Paperstacks wrote:
Brad wrote:Fire Truck with lights going, fire captain SUV, MUD, and OPPD all by the north gate right now.

What ever happened with this?


Not sure. UNO Security showed up and OPPD was over talking to them. OPPD was also working on a transformer by FDR. Fire Truck was there the whole time I was taking all those photos.


I wonder if it had anything to do with the power outage that hit PKI around 11 that same day? Had a bunch of classmates that were working in one of the labs when the breaker flipped, wiping everything they'd been working on the past hour.

User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 8857
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Midtown

Re: HDR Aksarben Office

Postby iamjacobm » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:24 am

Great stuff Brad! I don't get to A/V hardly at all anymore, but was there a few weeks ago and this project dramatically changes the feel of the area. Feels really dense and almost cavernous.

User avatar
Brad
City Council
Posts: 28477
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
Contact:

Re: HDR Aksarben Office

Postby Brad » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:44 am

iamjacobm wrote:Great stuff Brad! I don't get to A/V hardly at all anymore, but was there a few weeks ago and this project dramatically changes the feel of the area. Feels really dense and almost cavernous.


Thanks! Sure does. It will be interesting to see the view from center street / park when the building next to Pac Life goes up.
Image
Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
http://www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
http://www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
@bradwphoto on Twitter
Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce Member

User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 20627
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Three floors down
Contact:

Re: HDR Aksarben Office

Postby Coyote » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:42 pm

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (173.94 KiB) Viewed 1044 times
Image

User avatar
Brad
City Council
Posts: 28477
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
Contact:

Re: HDR Aksarben Office

Postby Brad » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:45 pm

Did you move in to Pinhook?

Looks like they have made a lot of progress on the foundations to the east.
Image
Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
http://www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
http://www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
@bradwphoto on Twitter
Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce Member

User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 20627
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Three floors down
Contact:

Re: HDR Aksarben Office

Postby Coyote » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:54 pm

Brad wrote:Did you move in to Pinhook?

I know people!
Image

Weeg
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:12 am
Location: Winnipeg, MB

Re: HDR Aksarben Office

Postby Weeg » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:43 am

Hello, I work for Sotawall, and we are supplying the majority of the curtainwall frames for this building. I was responsible for laying out the sloped corner frames at the NorthWest and SouthEast corners, and today is a happy day for me as the installer sent a picture showing the top corner frame installed at the NorthWest corner. I have attached a couple of other pictures if anyone is interested.
Attachments
HDR1.JPG
HDR1.JPG (165.27 KiB) Viewed 820 times
IMG_0927.JPG
IMG_0927.JPG (209.44 KiB) Viewed 820 times
IMG_1185.JPG
IMG_1185.JPG (165.94 KiB) Viewed 820 times

Glasshole
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:05 pm

Re: HDR Aksarben Office

Postby Glasshole » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:03 am

Hey Weeg, I happen to work for the company installing your curtainwall. Sota is definitely the premiere curtainwall manufacturer in the world. We've been using you guys for years

User avatar
nebugeater
County Board
Posts: 6082
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: HDR Aksarben Office

Postby nebugeater » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:08 am

Weeg wrote:Hello, I work for Sotawall, and we are supplying the majority of the curtainwall frames for this building. I was responsible for laying out the sloped corner frames at the NorthWest and SouthEast corners, and today is a happy day for me as the installer sent a picture showing the top corner frame installed at the NorthWest corner. I have attached a couple of other pictures if anyone is interested.



Thanks for sharing!!!
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!

hatwate
Home Owners Association
Posts: 150
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:25 pm
Location: Aksarben Village

Re: HDR Aksarben Office

Postby hatwate » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:44 pm

We just noticed this evening a video camera on the east side of the roof of the building that Dudley's is in. It is pointed towards the HDR building.

User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 20627
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Three floors down
Contact:

Re: HDR Aksarben Office

Postby Coyote » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:23 pm

hatwate wrote:We just noticed this evening a video camera on the east side of the roof of the building that Dudley's is in. It is pointed towards the HDR building.


That has been three for a while... We can't find the feed...
Image

User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 20627
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Three floors down
Contact:

Re: HDR Aksarben Office

Postby Coyote » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:36 pm

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (157.79 KiB) Viewed 668 times
Image

User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 20627
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Three floors down
Contact:

Re: HDR Aksarben Office

Postby Coyote » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:37 pm

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (168.37 KiB) Viewed 668 times
Image

MadMartin8
Planning Board
Posts: 2136
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:48 pm
Location: Beyond Thunderdome

Re: HDR Aksarben Office

Postby MadMartin8 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:13 am

Gotta say, the glasswork and framing around that glass (and just the building in general really) looks way better on the photos/real life than in the rendering.
No posts exist for this topic

MSizlack
Home Owners Association
Posts: 146
Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 7:52 pm

Re: HDR Aksarben Office

Postby MSizlack » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:42 am

Rendering drawings rarely give an accurate depiction of what the final product will present like. Sunlight, shadowing, variations of surface texture (gloss, matte, smooth, rough) surrounding buildings, internal/external lighting, etc. all play a role that no drawings can reflect. I think this building looks great and fits the Aksarben complex wonderfully with its modern, straight lined looks. As for a rendering that looked MUCH BETTER than the finished building, just look at the Capital district Marriott.

User avatar
Brad
City Council
Posts: 28477
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
Contact:

Re: HDR Aksarben Office

Postby Brad » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:57 am

MadMartin8 wrote:Gotta say, the glasswork and framing around that glass (and just the building in general really) looks way better on the photos/real life than in the rendering.


I agree, its looking great.
Image
Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
http://www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
http://www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
@bradwphoto on Twitter
Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce Member

User avatar
GetUrban
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1856
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:07 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: HDR Aksarben Office

Postby GetUrban » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:11 pm

MSizlack wrote:Rendering drawings rarely give an accurate depiction of what the final product will present like. Sunlight, shadowing, variations of surface texture (gloss, matte, smooth, rough) surrounding buildings, internal/external lighting, etc. all play a role that no drawings can reflect. I think this building looks great and fits the Aksarben complex wonderfully with its modern, straight lined looks. As for a rendering that looked MUCH BETTER than the finished building, just look at the Capital district Marriott.


I have to disagree to an extent. Many rendering programs do let you select all of those factors such as accurate settings for sunlight and shadowing based on date, time, location. They also let you select color temperature, texture, reflectivity, etc. for each material in the model. It's a matter of taking the time to tweak all of the settings to get the look you want, which may reflect the mood you want to convey or the part of the design you want to emphasize. In many rendering programs such as Enscape, you can set the "camera" focal length, exposure, light sources etc. Some of the high-end programs such as MODO are indistinguishable from real photographs. Not sure if any architecture firms are using MODO, which is more of a product design and animated movie-making tool. More than likely, HDR is using REVIT for the 3D model with a rendering plug-in such as Enscape, or some other plug-in.

It is also possible that some of the actual material selections used in the real building may have changed since the rendering was created.

The building is looking quite nice though.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.

MSizlack
Home Owners Association
Posts: 146
Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 7:52 pm

Re: HDR Aksarben Office

Postby MSizlack » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:31 pm

I certainly don't know as much about rendering programs as you do, and certainly agree that there are some that do picture like quality. Being able to have seen some of the recent UNMC buildings renderings early in the design process and then seeing the final product, they are very accurate. My point which I failed to make is that the renderings are often "dolled up" to make the proposed project look it's very best (like the capital Marriott). The HDR renderings of their HQ were what I can only describe as flat or 2 dimensional appearing. They certainly dont do the actual building justice. Again, I think it's a good looking design.

User avatar
GetUrban
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1856
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:07 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: HDR Aksarben Office

Postby GetUrban » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:00 pm

MSizlack wrote:I certainly don't know as much about rendering programs as you do, and certainly agree that there are some that do picture like quality. Being able to have seen some of the recent UNMC buildings renderings early in the design process and then seeing the final product, they are very accurate. My point which I failed to make is that the renderings are often "dolled up" to make the proposed project look it's very best (like the capital Marriott). The HDR renderings of their HQ were what I can only describe as flat or 2 dimensional appearing. They certainly dont do the actual building justice. Again, I think it's a good looking design.


Looking back at the renderings posted earlier in this thread, I have to agree with your assessment of their quality. They look flat and lack any reflections and are not very photo-realistic. Not sure what program they might have used. Maybe SketchUp, Rhino, or 3DS Max. SketchUp can be made to look very photo-realistic with the right plug-ins like Maxwell Render, V-Ray, Enscape, or Light-up, and taking the time to tweak the settings.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.

User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 20627
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Three floors down
Contact:

Re: HDR Aksarben Office

Postby Coyote » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:34 pm

The late afternoon Sun reflex room is going to be brutal! The sidewalk in front of the Kiewit (formerly Gordman's) building lights up the sidewalk and right into Herbe Sainte.
Image

User avatar
Brad
City Council
Posts: 28477
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
Contact:

Re: HDR Aksarben Office

Postby Brad » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:01 pm

Coyote wrote:The late afternoon Sun reflex room is going to be brutal! The sidewalk in front of the Kiewit (formerly Gordman's) building lights up the sidewalk and right into Herbe Sainte.


I noticed that too. There were several people in the waiting area of the salon or one of those bays just to the north of Herbe and they were holding up their hands trying to block the reflection coming in on them. While this is new to these business, its no different than any other urban setting where certain times of the year you just have to lower the shades and deal with it for 10 min a day.
Image
Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
http://www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
http://www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
@bradwphoto on Twitter
Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce Member

Linkin5
County Board
Posts: 3821
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:59 pm

Re: HDR Aksarben Office

Postby Linkin5 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:48 pm

Brad wrote:
Coyote wrote:The late afternoon Sun reflex room is going to be brutal! The sidewalk in front of the Kiewit (formerly Gordman's) building lights up the sidewalk and right into Herbe Sainte.


I noticed that too. There were several people in the waiting area of the salon or one of those bays just to the north of Herbe and they were holding up their hands trying to block the reflection coming in on them. While this is new to these business, its no different than any other urban setting where certain times of the year you just have to lower the shades and deal with it for 10 min a day.


Some buildings can obviously be worse than others with sun glare, this may be something HDR gets complaints about and will need to tweak things. The Shard in London had to place shades in windows due to cars literally melting.


Return to “Urban Omaha Development”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests