Capitol Rows (24th and Davenport)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

ShawJ wrote:Thanks for the pictures. It's impressive how fast this thing got going after it was announced.

nice to see indeed, (as opposed to a couple of weed parks downtown).  I saw those funky blocks as well, but apparently didn't get a shot of them.  Perhaps something to do with the foundation?  Look like they were pouring concrete.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

A lot of progress going on with this project. It looks like the shell of one of the buildings is almost complete.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Wow, I didn't realize this was progression so quickly.  I'll have to swing by sometime when I'm biking to North Downtown.
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

Need picture updates!  :mrgreen:
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Bosco55David wrote:Need picture updates!  :mrgreen:
Its getting harder and harder with it being dark by 7:30 now...  I will get there one of these days.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

quick and dirty from saturday...

StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Excellent!
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

They added the walls to the third story today. They've also started to put wood up for one of the buildings on 24th street.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

They are making some serious progress on this. Makes the area look very dense.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Cool design.  I was just thinking I hope they build more of that boxy condo look in Omaha, with those sharp, square windows, and a facade alternating with brick, stucco, and even ribbed metal (tin).  I've seen that in other cities, and just looks very sharp and urban and modern.  They have that kind of design over in Ak-Sar-Ben Village I've noticed.
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

RockHarbor wrote:Cool design.  I was just thinking I hope they build more of that boxy condo look in Omaha, with those sharp, square windows, and a facade alternating with brick, stucco, and even ribbed metal (tin).  I've seen that in other cities, and just looks very sharp and urban and modern.  They have that kind of design over in Ak-Sar-Ben Village I've noticed.
To be honest, I'm thinking thats what people thought in the 50s and 60s. 30 years down the road that style of architecture may look like |expletive|.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Bauhaus or bust

Post by ricko »

Actually, most of the major buildings constructed in Omaha in the past decade remind me of 50's and 60's mid-century modernism.  What's up with Omaha's green glass fetish? I personally think it's butt-ugly. I thought it was all very "cool" (another 50's slang comeback) when I was 10----I'm not really warming up to it this time around.
Garrett
County Board

Re: Bauhaus or bust

Post by Garrett »

ricko wrote:Actually, most of the major buildings constructed in Omaha in the past decade remind me of 50's and 60's mid-century modernism.  What's up with Omaha's green glass fetish? I personally think it's butt-ugly. I thought it was all very "cool" (another 50's slang comeback) when I was 10----I'm not really warming up to it this time around.
Well, once its 100 years old it becomes "very cool" again.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

I see what you guys are saying.  However, certain designs do hold up their value over time.  Usually, I think of the architecture examples that are best of a certain era are usually appreciated through the decades following it.  Good design is good design.  Some people say that term "timeless architecture" to describe what I mean.  For example, the Empire State Building in New York is considered "timeless" by many, because that striking art deco skyscraper holds up even today as a great building, or masterpiece of architecture of that era.  I mean, who argues the ESB is not a great building, or example of architecture?

I think anything not too eccentric, or too "out there", and designed well with nice lines, pretty much holds up over time.  These boxy condos, with their nicely-spaced square windows, and alternating materials on the facade, will likely hold "design value" over time, I would think.  In the 60's and 70's, you saw squarish and boxy architecture.  Same with the modern white homes built in the 80's.  Throughout the 90's, and last decade, again, we see this boxy form here and there.  

The green glass:  See, I'm a fan of that green glass.  I really like that suburban office block out in West Omaha with the green glass, and rigid, grid lines.  Makes me think: "retro." I also like the UP building downtown's glass.  I guess it shows we all have different tastes, and that is normal.  :)
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

They're installing glass on one of the buildings. I'll try to get pictures soon considering I drive by everyday.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

They remind me of this cool complex in Chicago:  

Condos like these are really cool, I feel, but I'm not sure they will hold their design value in time as much as something a little less busy:  

Here are the ones built in the Aksarben Village development.  Very nice & sharp, if I may say...

I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

They started laying bricks last week. It's kind of a gray(ish) color which at first worried me, but I think it's going to look pretty good.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

Short update. Wanted to get more but got cold!

justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

Pretty!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Those look great!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

They looked huge coming back from the Creighton game tonight too.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

iamjacobm wrote:They looked huge coming back from the Creighton game tonight too.
They definitely have a nice presence.

I can't remember if it has already been posted, but the official site is: http://capitolrows.com. A lot of floor plan options.

They also have a webcam of the construction.  http://capitolrows.com/construction.shtml
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Wow, these really are looking great! I love the cladding. Thanks for the photos!
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

They're very close to having all of the exterior work done. I'll try to get some pictures soon.

I really hope we start to see more projects like this around western downtown.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Anybody have any quotes on 2br/1ba?
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

Linkin5 wrote:Anybody have any quotes on 2br/1ba?
$1200 for 2br, $829 for 1br, but it looks like all the two bedrooms are full.

http://creightonian.com/search_ResultsD ... tol%20rows
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Whoa! Way too expensive,  but whatever. I guess if they rent, they rent. There just needs to be better options for lower-rent apartments, especially in that area.
justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

Dear God!
They cray cray.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

It's no coincidence that all of the two bedroom units are full with Creighton right next door. I think they'll have a lot of trouble selling the one bedroom units at that price.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

This group is also looking at doing a couple of apartment buildings nearer the market.  I hope they get it done!
city11
New to the Neighborhood

Post by city11 »

Maybe they could use the hole that is already at 12th and Jackson  :D
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Ended up by here today.  These are looking good!  Great addition to the 24th street scape.  Shouldn't be long until move in day.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

These ended up looking awesome!  They wont get much public notice being out of the way, but they should be great for future housing on Capitol.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

I don't about that. They have pretty good visibility from 480, I check them out almost every day driving by.
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

Anyone have any idea if they have a tenant lined up for that corner yet?  I'd assume this is intended to be some sort of commercial tenant space.  

A coffee shop would be nice here, not just to serve tenants, but Creighton's close enough that they should get plenty of foot traffic from campus...
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

Picture updates?  :mrgreen:
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Bosco55David wrote:Picture updates?  :mrgreen:
I was downtown shooting photos today and totally spaced it off...
mr. omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by mr. omaha »

crane coffee is looking at this location
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Photo Update:

Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

Thanks Brad! Those look really cool.