Downtown office vacancy rate

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

How big is the lot that was formerly supposed to be the Wall Street Tower?
No posts exist for this topic
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

MadMartin8 wrote:How big is the lot that was formerly supposed to be the Wall Street Tower?
An entire city block.
iamjacobm
City Council

Re: Downtown office vacancy rate drops to 23%

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.colliers.com/-/media/4FC164E ... A341A.ashx
At the top end of the office market, vacancy in Class A buildings ended the quarter at 5.4 percent, a
significant decrease of 70 basis points from the prior quarter primarily due to the Gavilon and
Nebraska Wesleyan transactions. In the suburban market, the overall vacancy in Class A buildings is
an incredibly low 4.6 percent; down 30 basis points from the prior quarter. To put this in perspective,
for the second quarter in a row there are currently only five non-medical buildings in the suburban
office market which have 10,000 square feet or greater available today. In addition, vacancy rates in
Class B buildings in the suburban office market increased slightly to 15.5 percent from 15.3 percent
in the prior quarter, and the vacancy rate for Class C buildings decreased to 20.5 percent from 21.7
percent, a 120 basis point decrease primarily due to the leases at 127th & “I” Street.

The CBD market continued to perform well with 140,366 square feet of net absorption due primarily
to completion of Gavilon’s building, resulting in a 9.8 percent vacancy for the CBD, a decrease of 60
basis points from the prior quarter.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I think we need to update the thread heading.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Stargazer wrote:I think we need to update the thread heading.
Yeah! Done.
iamjacobm
City Council

Re: Downtown office vacancy rate

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.colliers.com/-/media/Files/M ... Office.pdf
At the top end of the office market, vacancy in Class A buildings ended the quarter at a vacancy rate
of 4.3 percent, a significant decrease of another 110 basis points after a 70 basis point reduction in
the fourth quarter of 2013. In the suburban market, the overall vacancy in Class A buildings is an
exceedingly low 3.6 percent; down 100 basis points from the prior quarter. To put this in perspective,
for the third quarter in a row there are only five Class A non-medical buildings in the suburban office
market which have 10,000 square feet or greater available today. As impressive, vacancy rates in
Class B buildings in the suburban office market decreased to 14.0 percent from 15.7 percent in the
prior quarter. The vacancy rate for Class C buildings decreased slightly to 20.6 percent from 20.8
percent.

The CBD market continued to perform well with 44,734 square feet of net absorption due primarily
to the Union Pacific and Regus transactions, resulting in an 8.6 percent vacancy rate in the CBD, a
decrease of 90 basis points from the prior quarter.
Those vacancy rates are seriously impressive.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

City- 12.1% vacancy
CBD- 8.2%
West Dodge Corridor- 5.1% best in city

This year will be a big one with even more office space well on the way along West Dodge and two major projects to finish this year in Midtown. Think and PacLife are in the midtown market according to the breakdowns. Those two could get the Midtown numbers close to 10%, that market will almost certainly have the most absorption this year.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

Great news for the city! Perhaps the relatively low vacancy rate will spur the construction of new office buildings downtown.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

daveoma wrote:Great news for the city! Perhaps the relatively low vacancy rate will spur the construction of new office buildings downtown.
We will see. I wish there was a little more trust in the market to get spec space built, right now nothing moves forward without a major tenant committed. Westroads Office Park building 4 was one of the few pure spec builds recently and is already 94% full.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Is it just me or is downtown development at about it's slowest in years? Even during the downturn in the economy we still have some large projects moving forward downtown.

Greg
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Greg S wrote:Is it just me or is downtown development at about it's slowest in years?  Even during the downturn in the economy we still have some large projects moving forward downtown.

Greg
May be for office projects, but residential is still booming.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Which are the larger residential projects?

Greg
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Greg S wrote:Which are the larger residential projects?
Here is the Larger Projects I stole out of the "1 Billion in Development" Thread http://eomahaforums.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16435" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Under Construction:
Blue Barn: $7 Million
Butternut: $20 Million
DoubleTree Renovation (I80): $6 Million
KETV Burlington Station: $22 Million
Old Power Plant (NuStyle): $30 Million
Flatiron:

Not to mention all the stuff that just finished... 1501, Jones 13, Limelight, The Wire, The Highline and that other one on Capitol by the civic.

Then if Shamrock, Lanoaha, and Tetrad get going, its going to be insane.
Varsity
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Varsity »

A few more ongoing projects to add off the top of my head:

Power Plant
Midtown Triangle
Rochester (NoD0)
Nichol Flats (North Downtown)
34th and Harney Apartments
The Conrad (36th and Leavenworth)
A few smaller projects in Blackstone
Hotel Omaha (24th and Farnam)

and 2 more than are in the very early stages
Highline 2.0
Burlington Postal Annex

Obviously not all of these are huge projects or in the CBD.. but for the size of Omaha and the slow but steady population and job growth here, I'd say there's a lot of really good infill and plenty to watch! Still have my fingers crossed for the big time projects like Shamrock, Lanoha, and Tetrad, not to mention see some action on all of those empty lots near midtown crossing, but I'm still feeling pretty good about the development that's going on. Fun to watch!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I deleted all those when I cut and past from that other thread, we were just talking about downtown.
Full List:
http://eomahaforums.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16435" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

You can always consult the map too. ;-)
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Garrett wrote:You can always consult the map too. ;-)
What Map?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brad wrote:
Garrett wrote:You can always consult the map too. ;-)
What Map?
Garrett & Company's eOmahaForums Urban Development Map
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Thanks, I forgot about that thing.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

I need to update it about... Also... Coyote, two t's in my name. ;-)
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Garrett wrote:I need to update it about... Also... Coyote, two t's in my name. ;-)
Corrected. Sorry.
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

Given today's article about ConAgra's start to their moveout to Chicago, it got me thinking about downtown office space, vacancies, and all of the proposed projects.

Even if a major new tenant (like HDR, or someone of that size) comes downtown, aren't we already a bit saturated, nevermind all of the proposed new projects that also include some sort of office component?

Vacant/soon to be:
2 ConAgra buildings
Central Park Plaza has lots of vacant space too, if I remember correctly...

Proposed/discussed projects, with no anchor tenant:
additional ConAgra campus infill
Capitol District office space
Lanaha
Downtown Library site
Civic site

What does this mean for occupancy rates? What about delays in getting proposed structures built? Clearly banks will take all of this into account when underwriting loans on these projects... Doesn't feel good about much of the proposed stuff getting built anytime in the near future, without firm commitments from a major tenant, which will be hard to come by.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Ben wrote:Given today's article about ConAgra's start to their moveout to Chicago, it got me thinking about downtown office space, vacancies, and all of the proposed projects.

Even if a major new tenant (like HDR, or someone of that size) comes downtown, aren't we already a bit saturated, nevermind all of the proposed new projects that also include some sort of office component?

Vacant/soon to be:
2 ConAgra buildings
Central Park Plaza has lots of vacant space too, if I remember correctly...

Proposed/discussed projects, with no anchor tenant:
additional ConAgra campus infill
Capitol District office space
Lanaha
Downtown Library site
Civic site

What does this mean for occupancy rates? What about delays in getting proposed structures built? Clearly banks will take all of this into account when underwriting loans on these projects... Doesn't feel good about much of the proposed stuff getting built anytime in the near future, without firm commitments from a major tenant, which will be hard to come by.
I agree. I wonder about the Capitol District office space being built. I can see that being put on hold indefinitely.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.colliers.com/-/media/files/m ... office.pdf

According to this report the CBD has a vacancy rate of 8.4% which is pretty strong. Says CPP added over 12K SF of office users with DTO absorbing over 33K total. It looks like Landmark had a strong user move in that took almost 20K SF in Q1 as well.

DTO has new office builds like Alvine and Boyd Jones that will help the vacancy rate.

Overall yes there will be work to do with ConAgra's openings, but think people don't really realize that the majority of deals aren't the 300K SF HDRs, but the smaller transactions by companies most of us have never heard of.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I will agree that spec space seems not terribly likely, which is too bad. I think some spec space would do well DT. Lots of users don't want whole blocks of floors, but would like a floor to occupy. Kind of a catch 22 where open space is attractive to users b/c it offers flexibility and options, but then that hurts the lending market.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Very good overview of the DT market in this article.

http://www.omaha.com/money/after-big-lo ... 9ddb9.html
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

DT obviously took a big hit in 2016 with ConAgra and Gavilon. Still really strong showing city wide.

Lets hope one of those mystery companies that have toured the ConAgra space pull the trigger and we can get that CBD rate back under 10%.
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

Post by PotatoeEatsFish »

iamjacobm wrote:http://www.colliers.com/-/media/files/m ... office.pdf

DT obviously took a big hit in 2016 with ConAgra and Gavilon. Still really strong showing city wide.

Lets hope one of those mystery companies that have toured the ConAgra space pull the trigger and we can get that CBD rate back under 10%.
I wonder what company is big enough to buy ConAgra...
#SaveTheUglyGrainSilos2024
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

I thought the plan was to demo half of that ConAgra campus for the future projects why are we trying to re occupy it?
15-17, 26, 32
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

It won't be bought, leased out. The Landmark article mentioned a 30K SF user just toured it, need a couple of those to start moving in.

And no they won't or at least shouldn't tear down perfectly good high quality office space.
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

I think we should get rid of some of the buildings on the campus. Waste of perfectly good downtown space. We have suburban offic parks for a reason.
#gohawks
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I would love to see some of those buildings razed and 4-6 story mixed used buildings in their place. Also would love to see the street grid return to normal down there, it could be a whole new extension of the Old Market.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Sadly, it is good quality office space available for lease. Definitely not the repurposing we hope for, but occupancy affects the whole of downtown/midtown and if this space isn't available, maybe that will spur another company to find an innovative downtown solution.
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

skinzfan23 wrote:I would love to see some of those buildings razed and 4-6 story mixed used buildings in their place. Also would love to see the street grid return to normal down there, it could be a whole new extension of the Old Market.
Yes Please.
#gohawks
aaaron
New to the Neighborhood

Post by aaaron »

skinzfan23 wrote:I would love to see some of those buildings razed and 4-6 story mixed used buildings in their place. Also would love to see the street grid return to normal down there, it could be a whole new extension of the Old Market.
I like the idea of an Old Market extension. It could be a canyon of sorts, perhaps for jobbers.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

CBD having a nice bounce back from ConAgra. 58K SF absorbed this quarter and 112K SF YTD absorption. According to the report the CBD was as low as 7.9% vacancy, bounced up to 15.5% with the job losses and is trending back down at 12.7% now.

Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

iamjacobm wrote:CBD having a nice bounce back from ConAgra. 58K SF absorbed this quarter and 112K SF YTD absorption. According to the report the CBD was as low as 7.9% vacancy, bounced up to 15.5% with the job losses and is trending back down at 12.7% now.

Very positive news!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Almost identical news this quarter.
The Omaha Office Market experienced positive absorption for a fourth consecutive quarter and six out of the last seven quarters. The total absorption for the third quarter of 2017 was 68,122 square feet and 225,985 square feet for the year-to-date. Average annual absorption over the last ten years is approximately 250,000 square feet annually and year-to-date absorption is tracking accordingly. The positive absorption in the quarter impacted the vacancy rate resulting in a decrease of 30 basis points bringing the overall vacancy rate to 10.6 percent; the lowest rate in the past 18 years.

For the second quarter in a row, the leasing highlight in the Omaha office market was the Downtown submarket with positive absorption of 46,165 square feet. The Downtown submarket vacancy rate has been on quite a rollercoaster ride the past few years rising from a low 7.9 percent vacancy rate at the end of 2015 to a high vacancy rate of 15.5 percent in 2016. With the positive absorption this quarter, the Downtown submarket’s vacancy rate is now at 11.7 percent, a 100 basis point decrease from the prior quarter and a 220 basis point decrease year-to-date.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Just out of curiosity I went back through previous Colliers office reports. They only go back to 2015, but in the reports available the CBD total office stock peaked at 4,841,639 SF in Q4 of 2015 and is currently 4,577,737 SF. That is a reduction of almost 264K SF. Almost surely a result of office space being converted to residential or any demolitions that have happened.

While those numbers will affect the vacancy rate they are not included in the positive absorption numbers. Still good news that office users are moving into the sub-market.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

CBD lost ~30K SF in Q4, up to a 12.3% vacancy rate. The report shows that Q4 wasn't the best market wide for Omaha office wise.

Report states DT has over 40K sf u/c, they are the Alvine Building and the office building at the Capitol District.