The Yard (15th & Cuming)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

The Landscaping is going in now.  If you go by today, you can also see the bio retention cells full of water.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110611/N ... eball-fans
Banks, with NewStreet Properties LLC, notes that drivers can park in the Yard, a new 414-stall, privately owned parking lot at 14th and Cuming Streets, a block from the stadium.

For $40, he said, drivers can arrive in the morning, tailgate, go to the game — or games — and retrieve their car in a fenced-in, guarded lot until 3 a.m. They also can reserve a spot in advance for $10 more a day.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

So let's be generous and say that every single spot is pre-reserved at $50 for every possible day of the CWS, including the two "maybe" days.  Best case scenario that's 11 days X 414 stalls * $50 per stall = $227,700 per day in revenue.  (FYI: $40 per stall per day for a nine-day CWS is $149,040.)

How many other days per year is there possibly going to be demand at that level?  Four Nighthawks games?  Half a dozen concerts?  Let's again be generous and double the amount of events that can fill that parking lot so you're up to $455,400 in revenue per year (and I think I'm really being generous on these numbers, btw.

So, we're looking at seven years (ten if you use the second set of numbers) before revenue remotely breaks even with build cost, and I haven't even factored taxes, insurance, operations and theft.  Yikes.

Then again, maybe the thing will be hugely successful and reestablish the parking market so MECA can justify raising the price of parking at the Qwest Center to the $40 range.

We can only hope, right?
Stable genius.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Introducing "The Pool":

http://omaha.com/article/20110614/NEWS0 ... ing-spaces
Water bubbling up out of storm sewers has put more than 200 parking spaces in Lot D near TD Ameritrade Park out of commission for the College World Series, officials said Tuesday.
God hates tailgaters.
Stable genius.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

They could turn it into a fountain like the one next to the bridge. On a hot summer day you will get hundreds of CWS people wading there. Charge a $5 fee.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Coyote wrote:They could turn it into a fountain like the one next to the bridge. On a hot summer day you will get hundreds of CWS people wading there. Charge a $5 fee.

Charge extra for the sewage
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

After they visit shantyville they will not know the difference.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

The State Patrol is threatening to cause some trouble for this joint depending upon how they handle their alcohol procurement.  They do not have a SDL and so can not sell liquor technically.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Yesterday they put up miniature red towers like the red towers at 10th and Cuming.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

Brad wrote:Yesterday they put up miniature red towers like the red towers at 10th and Cuming.

At the base of the "towers" is signage that says the "the yard".  It looked as they were installing electrical components for illuminating the words.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

as far as parking lots go, it's not bad.  It ties in well and actually seems like they thought it out.  as much as i'd like to see it turn into something more, like everyone else, at least they didn't leave it as a shitty gravel lot.
Go Cubs Go
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

The Yard was one giant frat party yesterday.  I saw multiple people puking and passing out in cars, and that was before the keg showed up.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote:The Yard was one giant frat party yesterday.  I saw multiple people puking and passing out in cars, and that was before the keg showed up.
I saw to guys pissing on the bike rack between Green Streets and the Slowdown building... Disgusting!
Professor Woland
Library Board

Post by Professor Woland »

Brad wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:The Yard was one giant frat party yesterday.  I saw multiple people puking and passing out in cars, and that was before the keg showed up.
I saw to guys pissing on the bike rack between Green Streets and the Slowdown building... Disgusting!
Too bad they can't electrify that thing, though I suppose that would limit its utility as a bike rack.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Professor Woland wrote:
Brad wrote:
Too bad they can't electrify that thing, though I suppose that would limit its utility as a bike rack.
Great Idea!  They could electrify it for two weeks...
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Pee and Puke forever!!!!

Post by ricko »

Who says Omaha doesn't have a Mardi Gras?
ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

typical first Day of the CWS, young ones get hammered and they are not to be seen the rest of the week.
Ive' seen it every year
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

cdub wrote:The State Patrol is threatening to cause some trouble for this joint depending upon how they handle their alcohol procurement.  They do not have a SDL and so can not sell liquor technically.
Plan-It Omaha has this down.  You can not sell tickets at a tent that is labeled as a hospitality tent.  So Plan-It Omaha sells the tickets at a storefront on Cass Street, and the person who bought the ticket shows up with their "VIP Pass" at the tent.  Problem solved, the laws are circumvented.  Although the LCB and the State Patrol know it is not right, they have chosen to look the other way.
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Apparently PlanIT Omaha's loophole wasn't quite as subtle as they thought:

CWS hospitality company sues city

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110623/N ... -sues-city

But the court will let them continue operating utnil the case is heard:
Injunction Keeps CWS Hospitality Tent Open

http://www.wowt.com/news/headlines/Inju ... ml?ref=749
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

The are hosting an "Island Party" on the lot the same day as the Buffett concert.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote:The are hosting an "Island Party" on the lot the same day as the Buffett concert.
I heard the owner expects people waiting in line to get in when the lot opens at 8am.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Brad wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:The are hosting an "Island Party" on the lot the same day as the Buffett concert.
I heard the owner expects people waiting in line to get in when the lot opens at 8am.

derog
Home Owners Association

Post by derog »

Brad wrote:
Apparently Buffett fans call themselves "Parrots." I spoke to a couple of "Parrots" and I wouldn't be surprised if people are tailgating the day before, through the night, and the lot is full before 6 am. I also talked to someone in Little Rock (where Buffett was recently) and she said people were tailgating and partying for 3 days before the concert.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

I think you mean Parrotheads.

Maybe they party for three days...but I'd figure that 8 am would be a little too early when the concert is still 12 hours away.  I would think "hungover 'til noon" myself...
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

I recently read an interesting piece in Slate that seemed very appropriate for this thread:

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/tran ... ewed_.html
Globochem
Home Owners Association

Post by Globochem »

Of the missed opportunities in downtown development this one stings the most.  North Downtown will remain a joke until this thing goes away.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Globochem wrote:Of the missed opportunities in downtown development this one stings the most.  North Downtown will remain a joke until this thing goes away.
What are you talking about?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I do like how they at least got a few Hot Shops pieces on the property now.  If they are going to be around a while they could atleast put grass on the far western portion though.  Those dirt patches suck.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote:I do like how they at least got a few Hot Shops pieces on the property now.  If they are going to be around a while they could atleast put grass on the far western portion though.  Those dirt patches suck.
The far west portion is city property.  There are plans for angled parking there.
Coyote
City Council

Re: The Yard (15th and Cuming)

Post by Coyote »

As the CWS approaches, PlanitOmaha is starting to ramp up its advertising for The Pavilion again.
I still don't know what I think about these huge garden parties.
Isn't there going to be another one north of the River City Star?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:Isn't there going to be another one north of the River City Star?
Didn't that one close down after the first three days last year?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

From last year... Didn't hear what happened to Rolling River.
Coyote wrote:Found it: 151 Freedom Park Road. Near River City Star.
I didn't know - Rolling River Inc DBA: River City Star.
This will be in their North Park. They have a special liquor license for the CWS.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Today the OPS graduations were at the Civic and state soccer at CU. They had a guy manning the lot, not a single car was parked there. My vindictive side was quite happy with that.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

iamjacobm wrote:Today the OPS graduations were at the Civic and state soccer at CU.  They had a guy manning the lot, not a single car was parked there.  My vindictive side was quite happy with that.
:clap:

Build something.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

This thread depresses me a bit too much :( Can we just pretend like this parcel of land doesn't exist anymore?
No posts exist for this topic
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Coyote wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:Today the OPS graduations were at the Civic and state soccer at CU.  They had a guy manning the lot, not a single car was parked there.  My vindictive side was quite happy with that.
:clap:

Build something.
Yet again.

CU baseball at TDAP, I know it was probably under 2000 but it is still an event. Nebraska Golf Showcase and the Omaha Bridal Showcase at CLC. There were maybe two dozen cars parked in The Yard.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote: CU baseball at TDAP, I know it was probably under 2000 but it is still an event.  Nebraska Golf Showcase and the Omaha Bridal Showcase at CLC.  There were maybe two dozen cars parked in The Yard.
Don't forget the Bridal Fair that was also at CLCO too. :;):
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Wasn't it the CWS that prevented this lot from being developed? Part of their "clean zone"?

Greg
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Greg S wrote:Wasn't it the CWS that prevented this lot from being developed?  Part of their "clean zone"?
No, and its not "clean" either.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Who owns this lot? They need to be publicly shamed for buying land just to build a fancy parking lot.