Kohll’s Pharmacy (2909 Leavenworth)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/115608499.html
www.wowt.com wrote:The property at 2909 Leavenworth Street is next to Kohll’s Pharmacy which has been open since 1948. Kohll’s says it will use the newly purchased property to expand parking for the pharmacy and update the building.

That means Sheri’s Go-Go Club will have to go. In a news release, Kohll’s says Sheri’s will stay open until September at the latest. Kohll’s says it will improve the image of the Park Avenue Neighborhood with landscaping. A new façade will be added to the current Kohll’s Pharmacy building.
derog
Home Owners Association

Post by derog »

Well, it's a start. Now on to the vacant apartment buildings...
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

derog wrote:Well, it's a start. Now on to the vacant apartment buildings...
No kidding.  Those things could be cool, but they have been empty forever!
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

While next to nobody will lament the loss of the business, I think it's sad another old building is going to become a parking lot. Underneath that horrible reclad is likely another nice old brick building. Keep bulldozing your past Omaha.  :roll:
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

They aren't razing it.  Re-read the article.

(I thought the same thing you did from the snippet on here.)
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Well, heck, now that I re-read again, I think it is totally ambiguous.

Does the new property ALSO have parking included?
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

There's an alley between the two buildings. I'm guessing it's getting the bulldozer.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

the1wags wrote:While next to nobody will lament the loss of the business, I think it's sad another old building is going to become a parking lot. Underneath that horrible reclad is likely another nice old brick building. Keep bulldozing your past Omaha.  :roll:
Josh prefers Shari's building 4 to 1.  Open at noon.
Last edited by almighty_tuna on Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I watched this story on the news a couple times now...

-  Kohl's already has an awesome Brick Front.  Why do they want to cover that up with something else.
-  Kohl's biggest problems are the horrible signs up all over the west side of the building and that nasty blue awning.
-  What about the Sheri's parking behind Kohl's?
-  Is the Gas Station still there just east of Sheri's?

Some Douglas county Images:

Finally, If there is a building in that area that needs to go....  

StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Man, I second Josh. I don't argue with Sheri's closing, but I am pulling my hair out about the loss of another structure for a parking lot. Regardless of how you feel about the business, it was still an active street-level use (I know, I know - the people that hang out there aren't the most savory folks and certainly don't contribute the family-friendly atmosphere - so spare me that lecture - I know).

The owner seems to get that all across the city, people are trying to create better neighborhoods, even citing everything that's going on Downtown and in Midtown. He mentions wanting to help make the area more family friendly.

His contribution: more surface parking

:hammer:
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

As a homeowner just a couple blocks from there, I'm excited to see continued progress in improving the park avenue corridor.  I wish that this were an actual development project, rather than simply leveling an existing building, though.  All things considered, however, If this does clean up that corner, it may be worth sacrificing a small run-down old building, even if it is just for more surface parking.  I hope that they have some real plans for the "landscaping" improvements, though.

Ultimately, if it improves the appearance (and impression of safety, ect), it may make renovation of the vacant apartments more viable.  If that happens, it would surely be a worthy trade.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Seth wrote:I hope that they have some real plans for the "landscaping" improvements, though.
I would assume they will have something.  Right up the street at the Side Door Bar, there is a little garden near the south east corner of the property.  That's a Rain Garden to help treat the water that runs off the parking lot before it gets in to the creek system.  Its either that or a expensive underground system so most people go with the rain garden.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I'll be interested to see the landscaping, as well. Looking on the bright side, the surface parking lot will be much more conducive to infill at some point in the future.

But, speaking totally frankly, this is exactly the kind of thinking that devastated city centers in the past decade: the idea that even businesses in urban areas had to provide parking for their customers in order to survive (and why would that have been?).

It's the American, paradoxical, land-use cycle of death I guess...
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

Well, KETV just said tonight that the former Sherri's building is being converted to a community center. I think thats a good trade and I hope it can do a lot for helping to improve the district
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Axel wrote:Well, KETV just said tonight that the former Sherri's building is being converted to a community center. I think thats a good trade and I hope it can do a lot for helping to improve the district
I think it's a tragedy. Tearing down such an iconic Omaha landmark of the performing arts. Time to get out the spray paint and release my inner youthful "I know everything" spirit.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

New occupant to dress up strip club
Carol Bicak WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:The work, transforming the former strip club at 2909 Leavenworth St. into a community center for the Park Avenue neighborhood, is an InCommon Community Development project. The organization had wanted to create a Park Avenue Community Center for some time but hadn’t found a location.

Kohll’s offered the building to InCommon to use for a temporary community center for at least 12 months. The agreement gives InCommon a place to work with the community and more time to raise funds for a permanent center, said Christian Gray, executive director.
MTO
City Council

Re: Kohll’s Pharmacy (2909 Leavenworth)

Post by MTO »

Some work was being done on their front facade today not sure if it was a broken window or new look.
15-17, 26, 32