Rosenblatt Site

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Rosenblatt Site

Post by Brad »

Do we not have a thread dedicated to the Rosenbatt Site anywhere?

When will Rosenblatt come down?

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110215/N ... -come-down
Maggie O’Brien WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:The demolition of Rosenblatt Stadium could happen as soon as this summer now that the Omaha City Council is scheduled to decide if it should take up selling the ballpark to the Henry Doorly Zoo.

On Tuesday, for the first time, the council will consider an ordinance to declare Rosenblatt as surplus property. The measure also would allow the city to sell the city-owned property and 35 acres of land to the zoo for $12 million.
DeWalt
Human Relations

Post by DeWalt »

I thought the sale of Blatt, to the zoo, was already an accomplished fact.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Finished, No.   But they did sign a memorandum of understanding back in 2008.
DeWalt
Human Relations

Post by DeWalt »

Brad wrote:Finished, No.   But they did sign a memorandum of understanding back in 2008.
How "legally binding" is a memorandum of understanding?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Not sure?  Why does it matter?  Its not like something is going to change...
DeWalt
Human Relations

Post by DeWalt »

Brad wrote:Not sure?  Why does it matter?  Its not like something is going to change...
I wondered if you knew something about MoU's that I don't (which is very little, actually).  My understanding is that a Memorandum of Understanding is basically a slightly more formal Gentleman's Agreement.  I was just a bit surprised, because I thought the sale of Rosenblatt was a long-since done deal.

Are you going to be getting pictures of the stadium coming down?  Hope so!
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

If the Zoo would stop being cute about getting the deal done it would be nice.  Trying to stick the City with extra bond payments.  Trying to get the entire zoo zoned commercial.  Refusing to participate in typical development approval processes.  Those guys are really very cooperative.  

Wouldn't it be fun if the whole thing went out for bid for something besides a parking lot for the zoo ?   :music:
chaoman45
Home Owners Association

Post by chaoman45 »

I hope the zoo can at least put the land to good use. It's always a shame that historic sites get covered up with no physical evidence on site of their existence. Living proof - Peony Park.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

chaoman45 wrote:I hope the zoo can at least put the land to good use. It's always a shame that historic sites get covered up with no physical evidence on site of their existence. Living proof - Peony Park.
Well they are building the park with the mini Rosenblatt replica.
chaoman45
Home Owners Association

Post by chaoman45 »

Ah, that's good. I actually haven't read through the zoo plans recently, though at least there'll be SOMETHING.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

cdub wrote:If the Zoo would stop being cute about getting the deal done it would be nice.  Trying to stick the City with extra bond payments.  Trying to get the entire zoo zoned commercial.  Refusing to participate in typical development approval processes.  Those guys are really very cooperative.  

Wouldn't it be fun if the whole thing went out for bid for something besides a parking lot for the zoo ?   :music:

Parking is part of it but have you read the Zoo's long term plan?  As for the Zoo holding things up.... Really?  I think the process is just working this way and I remember hearing that it would not transfer until after they were 100% sure that the new playground was ready in case they needed a place to put the CWS.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

chaoman45 wrote:I hope the zoo can at least put the land to good use. It's always a shame that historic sites get covered up with no physical evidence on site of their existence. Living proof - Peony Park.
Peony Park was a gross misuse of the land. It was not mixed-use, there was parking up front, and the covered portion of the roller coaster had ample room for bottom floor retail, mid-level office, and upper level residential.

Poor, poor planning across the board and I, for one, was glad to see it go.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

blol  

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

chaoman45 wrote:Ah, that's good. I actually haven't read through the zoo plans recently, though at least there'll be SOMETHING.
Found it.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20100610/NEWS01/100619989
The space will feature a replica of Rosenblatt's familiar blue peaked roof as well as its infield, cut down to Little League size. The base paths from base to base will be 60 feet rather than the current 90 feet.

But home plate will sit exactly where home plate is today.
The stadium's foul poles will be retained where they are, which will put them in parking areas.
chaoman45
Home Owners Association

Post by chaoman45 »

S33 wrote:
Peony Park was a gross misuse of the land. It was not mixed-use, there was parking up front, and the covered portion of the roller coaster had ample room for bottom floor retail, mid-level office, and upper level residential.

Poor, poor planning across the board and I, for one, was glad to see it go.
Really? Hm, apparently I went there when I was 2 but I don't remember it. That's part of the reason I wouldn't know/would like to know more about it.
iamjacobm wrote:
chaoman45 wrote:Ah, that's good. I actually haven't read through the zoo plans recently, though at least there'll be SOMETHING.
Found it.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20100610/NEWS01/100619989
Thank you.
omaja
Library Board

Post by omaja »

Speaking of Peony... why not utilize some of the Rosenblatt land to open up an amusement park side of the zoo?  Even if a sizeable chunk is left to parking, there would be a lot there to work with.  Stop needlessly sending everyone to Adventureland or Worlds of Fun for their amusement fix.  Families especially would love the one-stop shopping for a zoo and amusement park experience.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

that's a good idea, but i think that, at one time, Brad posted something showing the difference in size of worlds of fun vs the rosenblatt site (maybe a year or 2 ago).  It was something like 3 rosenblatts could fit inside of 1 worlds of fun.

Point is: even though it seems big, there really isn't that much room (especially when you factor in parking).
Go Cubs Go
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

these are the plans the zoo put out last year:

http://www.ketv.com/download/2010/0604/23793626.pdf

Gives you an idea of what's going to happen with all the land.  I couldn't find the picture of the rosenblatt land area vs an amusement park, though.
Go Cubs Go
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Maybe things will be happening sooner rather than latter with the Demo at the Blatt.

Sometime between driving by at 5:30 this AM and noon today there are three semi box trailers parked end to end in front of the main entrance to the stadium.  They are Kiewit trailers.  There is also what looks to be some construction site fencing going up in by the trailers.  Will get a better look as I pass by tonight on the way home.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

They are probably going to move the Road to Omaha statue soon.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote:They are probably going to move the Road to Omaha statue soon.
Very likely but looks like  alot of staging for that only.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

That statue would be moved on a single flat-bed trailer. They are probably removing appliances, equipment or any other materials to be sold at auction somewhere, similar to what goes on in most buildings before demo.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Its weird because the Kewit trailers make a semi circle around the statue blocking it from the roads.  They also had security next to it last night about sunset.

I would guess that they don't want photos of it being removed?  Why else would the lineup trailers back to back blocking it from public view?
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Brad wrote:Its weird because the Kewit trailers make a semi circle around the statue blocking it from the roads.  They also had security next to it last night about sunset.

I would guess that they don't want photos of it being removed?  Why else would the lineup trailers back to back blocking it from public view?
No idea but, if that is the case, they are terribly overestimating the importance of that statue. I mean, they do the same thing with Warner trailers when Air Force One sits on Epply's tarmac...
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Brad wrote:Its weird because the Kewit trailers make a semi circle around the statue blocking it from the roads.  They also had security next to it last night about sunset.

When the lights were accidentally left on last fall and 3 people grabbed photos of that (me, Brad and an OWH guy), there was a fair amount of ZOMG going on at MECA because they wanted to do a big "reveal" with the lights, and media and all that.  Presumably when the lights were burnt in a couple weeks ago.  My guess is they're not taking any chances with the moving of the statue.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Probably more to do with keeping people away as the foundation under it is removed.  They don't want people around it during the off hours when it is not as stable as it should be.  avoid the lawsuit.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Council OKs Rosenblatt sale

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110308/N ... blatt-sale
The Omaha City Council voted 6-0 Tuesday to approve the sale of Rosenblatt Stadium to Henry Doorly Zoo for $12 million.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

In the last few days they have put up a chain link fence around the entire stadium.  The parking is accessible for the most part.  Looked to be completely circled when I drove by last evening.
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

nebugeater wrote:In the last few days they have put up a chain link fence around the entire stadium.  The parking is accessible for the most part.  Looked to be completely circled when I drove by last evening.
Well that could just mean they are getting ready for the CWS at the Blatt. :lol:
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

cp jay 07 wrote:
nebugeater wrote:In the last few days they have put up a chain link fence around the entire stadium.  The parking is accessible for the most part.  Looked to be completely circled when I drove by last evening.
Well that could just mean they are getting ready for the CWS at the Blatt. :lol:

If that's the case it's a LOT smaller circle than last year!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

There was a couple trucks inside the construction fence yesterday afternoon.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote:There was a couple trucks inside the construction fence yesterday afternoon.
Saw them there too.  There were some electrical enclosures open too when I passed by so that leads me to guess that they are getting ready to power down the stadium as step 1.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Hopefully step 2 is to auction off everything in there that is collectible.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote:Hopefully step 2 is to auction off everything in there that is collectible.
Agree, they will really miss the big one if they don't do some of this.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110331/N ... e-makeover
Carol Bicak WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:He doesn't see the stadium coming down until late next year. Most of the stadium's furnishings — seats, scoreboard, press box — are untouched. The zoo will inventory what's there, and eventually Rosenblatt fans will be able to buy some of it in a sale or auction.
It sounds like demo is still a ways off.  Glad they mentioned something about a sale/auction though.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

A second inning for big screen

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110405/N ... big-screen
Jonathon Braden WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:A high-tech gadget from Omaha's Diamond on the Hill will find a new home in a high school football stadium this fall.

The Omaha school district plans to disassemble Rosenblatt Stadium's scoreboard and video board, transport them to Omaha Burke High School and put them back together again in time for this fall's high school football season.

Omaha Public Schools officials hope Rosenblatt's scoreboard and the 27-foot-high, 56-foot-wide video board will keep the Nebraska state track and field championships at Burke for many years to come.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

That would have to make the scoreboard, once at Burke, one of the largest scoreboards for any high school in the nation.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

skinzfan23 wrote:That would have to make the scoreboard, once at Burke, one of the largest scoreboards for any high school in the nation.
I would assume that too.  It was the Largest Scoreboard in all of minor league baseball last year.
OmahaBen
Human Relations

Post by OmahaBen »

skinzfan23 wrote:That would have to make the scoreboard, once at Burke, one of the largest scoreboards for any high school in the nation.
I'd be willing to bet it wouldn't crack the top 10 in Texas.