Jones13

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Re: Jones13

Post by Brad »

Here is a crappy zoom in. I was shooting super wide today so those other shots I posted were already cropped to begin with. I will shoot a close up next time I am down there.

iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Another accident here? 3 fire trucks and some police cars on site.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote:Another accident here?  3 fire trucks and some police cars on site.
Gas Leak. They got it shut off now.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

They started putting the dark gray siding on on the east facing wall. It's not quite what I was thinking it was going to look like, but I'm waiting to see it mixed with the other materials to make a judgement.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Photo Update

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I'm going to have to see these in person before making a judgment... The textures just...
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Coyote wrote:I'm going to have to see these in person before making a judgment... The textures just...
IMO the black/grey finishes look really cheap.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

I think that woodish looking stuff nearish the corner looks like śhìt.
15-17, 26, 32
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

I dont mind the balck and gray or even the wood so much. its the trend in design that has a portion a a building framed out in some contrasting box, like what the black does on this building. first there were buildings designed with the helicoptor pad look (north downtown hotels), and now this. it isnt an ugly building but i wish there were some more original designs in progress.
Go Cubs Go
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

I foresee a time in the not too distant future where building like this will be seen as horribly dated, but not in the "cool old-timey" way.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Not my favorite design, but it's not the worst looking building downtown. Way better than a carwash and a parking lot. Looks a lot better than the OPD building.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

The boxed-frame look is becoming architecturally cliche', much like the small curved metal roof appendages applied to many building in the 90s & 00s. I'm wondering how long some of the cladding materials used on that building will hold up over time. There are also many joints between all of the different materials that will need to be kept watertight, unless it's designed as a rain screen system to drain away water behind the cladding. Also, the black surfaces will get blasted by the sun. ........But overall, I like it and find it an interesting addition to the area.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

bigredmed wrote:I foresee a time in the not too distant future where building like this will be seen as horribly dated, but not in the "cool old-timey" way.
That's pretty much the problem with all cutting-edge architecture. You have the same problem with people "updating" their houses to whatever the trend of the year is. Mark my words, the glass mosiac tile everyone's loves in their kitchens and bathrooms today is going to seem as gaudy in 10 years as the pink and green tile that was all the rage in the '60s.

I think the best architecture is based on classic styles and establish proportions and materials, while still allowing some room to innovate. I think the Midtown Crossing buildings are a good example. They're clearly new, but are still a bit reserved, and fit in with Mutual's existing buildings that span over 50 years of construction.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

They have installed the sign on the north side of the building and are working on the one on the east side as I type this.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

15-17, 26, 32
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Thanks for the update photo!

Looks like they ended up with 4 signs on the place.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Thanks MTO! I guess I shouldn't complain too much about the siding. It's a nice building for that spot.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I think the exterior looks cheap, particularly the south and west sides of the building. All the other buildings surrounding them are a version of red brick. Couldn't they have least matched those older buildings in terms of quality?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Photo Update:

iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Landscaping in and the first residents move in on the 15th. This one is wrapping up.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

They installed the decorative street lighting yesterday. Almost complete.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

skinzfan23 wrote:They installed the decorative street lighting yesterday.  Almost complete.
Does it match?
15-17, 26, 32
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

It could be just the lighting, but the exterior of this building looks a lot brighter than I thought it would be with gray and black all over.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
OmahaOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by OmahaOmaha »

I'm still not a fan of this building at all. Those wood panels suck, and I hate that corner roofline. I think the design will date itself real fast.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

OmahaOmaha wrote:I'm still not a fan of this building at all.  Those wood panels suck, and I hate that corner roofline.   I think the design will date itself real fast.
I don't mind the building, it definitely looks better than a carwash and a storage facility. The only part I think looks tacky is the overhang. When you are viewing it from the west looking east, it looks like a strong wind could rip it right off. Not to mention it only covers that one section of the building.
OmahaOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by OmahaOmaha »

I think it would have looked better if they just made both sides of the building look the same.....either put the overhang on both sides or don't have the overhang on both sides. I think the way it is, it just looks odd. It does look better than a car wash though.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

I agree, it does look strange. I like the way they did 1501 Jackson. There's enough variation to the roof and facade to make it interesting. This one fell a little flat.

The Bride
SaveOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by SaveOmaha »

Am I the only one who prefers this design layout to 1501 Jackson's?
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Design layout you mean the courtyard and building map?
15-17, 26, 32
SaveOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by SaveOmaha »

Just design in general.
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

I prefer 1501.
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Apparently over 95% occupied.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

iamjacobm wrote:Apparently over 95% occupied.
Good to hear. That has to be great news for further development of apartments downtown if they can fill up that quickly.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

skinzfan23 wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:Apparently over 95% occupied.
Good to hear.  That has to be great news for further development of apartments downtown if they can fill up that quickly.
I would be interested to see of their pervious L14 project still had a strong occupancy rate.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

A few years ago during the cusp of the current apartment boom I went to the bank apartments building to tour the place and they said they filled up in a matter of months, including the model. After that all of these other apartment projects including the highline and the wire began. If this momentum keeps going for another decade downtown Omaha just might be crowded with residents 24/7! I'm so happy the demand for these apartments is still strong.
Varsity
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Varsity »

Last summer I moved and was looking into apartments downtown. I called just about everyone, (seriously, 15+ places) and just about everyone was filled up or only had 1 or 2 units coming open in a month or two or three, often which there was already a waiting list for. It was frustrating as someone who was set on downtown living, but very encouraging for urban development. For instance, just off the top of my head... The Wire was pre-booked 3 or 4 months in advance as it opened one floor at a time, The Highline and Midtown Crossing only had 1 or 2 of the most expensive units left, Slate was full, Orpheum only had 1 or 2 opening up a few months out, same with Old Market Lofts.

You almost need to book something 3 months in advance or get on a waiting list with the understanding that you probably won't get a place for few a months. Unfortunately I didn't have that kind of time.

That being said, I'm confident that these new apartment investments are going to do just fine, and have my fingers crossed for more coming soon. The market certainly appears like it could handle a large scale apartment development. We've had hundreds of unit open up recently and they are all full or near full within months of opening, if not pre-booked out before they are even finished. If only we could get the Capitol District going. As a young professional, that would hands down be my #1 choice for an apartment: new, modern, urban, mixed use, and walkable to the Old Market, North Downtown, and anywhere else I'd want to go downtown....It's been painful to watch.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Varsity wrote: As a young professional, that would hands down be my #1 choice for an apartment: new, modern, urban, mixed use, and walkable to the Old Market, North Downtown, and anywhere else I'd want to go downtown
I might add that it would be perfect for residential (quieter than the Old Market) but like you mentioned still within walking distance to businesses, restaurants and bars.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Hopefully the tight vacancies do keep stimulating new development. I think the "West Market" area and remaining vacant and under-utilitized area between downtown and 480 have huge potential. I think we're starting to see interest in those areas pick up, starting with the redevelopment project of some of the old apartments up that way.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

skinzfan23 wrote:
Varsity wrote: As a young professional, that would hands down be my #1 choice for an apartment: new, modern, urban, mixed use, and walkable to the Old Market, North Downtown, and anywhere else I'd want to go downtown
I might add that it would be perfect for residential (quieter than the Old Market) but like you mentioned still within walking distance to businesses, restaurants and bars.
And is is the easiest access point to the riverfront parks. 10th and Captiol is about the perfect location for urban living down. Equidistant to Old Market, North Downtown, CBD and Riverfront.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »