Urban Village (30th and Leavenworth)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

zschroeder
New to the Neighborhood

Urban Village (30th and Leavenworth)

Post by zschroeder »

Park Ave Square (30th and Leavenworth)

This is an old article, but there is activity on the lots.  Trees have been removed, all the windows have been removed from the long slender apartment blocks on Mason and Park Ave, while it looks like they may be retucking the apartments on Leavenworth and Park Ave.  Good to see things happening.  

http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/7055452.html
furryfriend
New to the Neighborhood

Post by furryfriend »

Urban Village bought a number of buildings on Park Ave both north and south of Leavenworth.  Good news because Urban Village gets stuff done.
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Re: Park Ave Square

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

zschroeder wrote:This is an old article, but there is activity on the lots.  Trees have been removed, all the windows have been removed from the long slender apartment blocks on Mason and Park Ave, while it looks like they may be retucking the apartments on Leavenworth and Park Ave.  Good to see things happening.  

http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/7055452.html
Park Avenue properties going 'upscale'

By Ross Boettcher
WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER
An Omaha developer is working to bring a spark of revitalization to Park Avenue.

Urban Village Development announced Tuesday that it has purchased eight distressed or vacant buildings that it plans to rebuild and turn into “upscale” apartment buildings. The buildings to be renovated stretch from about Mason Street to St. Mary’s Avenue, said Scott Semrad, a partner at Urban Village.

“We started doing this three years ago,” Semrad said. “We buy distressed or vacant buildings and rebuild them from the inside out. The shell is the historic building, but inside you have everything you’d see in new construction — from new framing and plumbing to new electrical and mechanical systems.”
Urban Village has been active in the area, purchasing 15 buildings, mostly within a half-mile of Mutual of Omaha’s Midtown Crossing development at 33rd and Farnam Streets, and turning them into 210 apartment units.

“What we’re really doing is taking the biggest liability on the street and, hopefully, turning it into the biggest asset,” said Semrad, who runs Urban Village with Jerry Reimer.
The area that Urban Village is targeting has been plagued by drugs and crime. Jim Thompson, president of the Leavenworth Neighborhood Association, hopes this project will change that.

“These properties have been an eyesore for too many years,” Thompson said. “Even when they were active with tenants in years past, the living conditions and negative effect on the quality of that part of the neighborhood was horrible.
“The efforts of the neighborhood association and the Omaha Police Department were continually burdened with the nasty lifestyle that permeated these buildings.”
Urban Village’s lofty goals could serve as a trickle-down project from Mutual’s $325 million Midtown Crossing development.
Ken Cook, president of East Campus Realty, the Mutual of Omaha subsidiary that owns Midtown Crossing, said the project has “exemplified a fervent commitment to the midtown neighborhood.”
The first wave of development is expected to be completed and tenant-ready by December, with the entire eight-building project wrapping up by mid-2013.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110706/M ... ng-upscale
justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

Huzzah!
Sounds like a groovy plan, and hopefully all will go well and keep growing the hood.

This reminded me of something though - wasn't the north building of the Twin Towers supposed to be reopened by now? Anything happening with that?
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

justnick wrote: This reminded me of something though - wasn't the north building of the Twin Towers supposed to be reopened by now? Anything happening with that?
The north tower has a different owner than the south tower. I know Blackthorne is managing the south tower and the north is still condemned. Probably doesn't look good for a while, unless there is something I haven't heard, yet.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

I am absolutely thrilled about this project!  Not only because my wife and I live two blocks away, but because those are some impressive buildings that have the potential to be some amazing apartments.  Having lived in one of Urban Village's buildings, I am confident that the renovation will be spectacular.  The other buildings they've redone in Midtown are great, with a good compromise between keeping historic detail and practical changes to make them desirable for modern living.  I've also been impressed with their level of maintenance.  Unlike other renovated buildings, I haven't seen them defer regular maintenance or landscaping.  When we lived in one of their units, they even came by periodically to check the furnace, etc.

When I rode past today, they were hard at work gutting the three long buildings.  It looked like they had all the windows out and were stripping plaster out inside.  They also had some good-sized chunks of brickwork taken off from above the entryways.  It will be interesting to see what style they rebuild it in.  I also saw roofers on the big building on the north side of Leavenworth (I could even see them from the window at my office).
DeWalt
Human Relations

Leavenworth & Park Ave

Post by DeWalt »

I've long wondered if/when somebody might transform these beautiful old buildings into something worthwhile.  I was afraid they'd just be torn down, but it looks like good things are coming!

Park Avenue makeover begins

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110808/N ... ver-begins
Christopher Burbach WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Now, Urban Village is taking on eight apartment buildings along Park Avenue, from St. Mary's Avenue to Mason Street.

Once upon a time uptown chic, the apartments had been allowed to grow increasingly shabby in recent years. Their disrepair brought disrepute and disinvestment to the neighborhood.
Christopher Burbach WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:The projected cost of their Park Avenue redevelopment plan: $10.5 million, according to city documents. Up to $912,000 of that would come from TIF, or tax-increment financing. TIF funds allow builders to use taxes on increased property values to pay part of their costs.

Work started in July on Park Avenue. Urban Village is advertising a Halloween 2011 opening for three of the buildings, "The Art Deco's," at 846 Park Ave.

Rents could range from $695 a month for one-bedroom apartments at The Art Deco's, to $1,100 for a two-bedroom unit in another building and $1,600 for a duplex unit at 806 Park Avenue, according to documents filed with the city.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

This is the most exciting project currently under construction in Omaha.  This will do wonders for a long forgotten area.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

iamjacobm wrote:This is the most exciting project currently under construction in Omaha.  This will do wonders for a long forgotten area.
You are absolutely right. MTC is having a ripple effect.  As we hoped it would.
Bomaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Bomaha »

And the fact that this is just one developer is ridiculously exciting.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Here is a Map of the current Park Ave Project:
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

There should be some nice changes to Leavenworth coming along with this project as well.  Probably a precusor to things to come to the east on the corridor.
UrbanPlanner
New to the Neighborhood

Urban Village Website

Post by UrbanPlanner »

Has been updated with some photos.  I'm excited to have this in my neighborhood.  

"The Art Deco"

Check out the 1930 and 1955 photos!  And this will open at the end of the month?  Pretty amazing.  

http://uvomaha.com/property/the-mason-s ... ween-2011/

Barnard Flats

http://uvomaha.com/property/the-barnard ... rk-avenue/

The Portland

http://uvomaha.com/property/the-portlan ... tmas-2011/
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Looks great, but do those rents seem a little high for that neighborhood?  The price point on the high end isn't too far from what's renting in SoMa.
Stable genius.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Big E wrote:Looks great, but do those rents seem a little high for that neighborhood?  The price point on the high end isn't too far from what's renting in SoMa.
I bet that neighborhood will be worth every penny 5-10 years from now. I wasn't convinced about the development in the area until MTC took off, and the subsequent development since. I am actually impressed. I wouldn't mind a nice, big home to remodel in that area.
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

I spent over an hour last night on the Urban Village Development website looking at all of their projects including the large number of ones they are currently doing on Park Ave.  Amazing company!  These guys are doing it right.  Every project is high quality.  Transforming Midtown, project after project!
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Photo Update:

iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Nice!   :thumb:

This such and amazing project.  I am still a little shocked UV took on this whole thing at once.  This is by far their largest development so far kudos to them!
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

iamjacobm wrote:Nice!   :thumb:

This such and amazing project.  I am still a little shocked UV took on this whole thing at once.  This is by far their largest development so far kudos to them!
I'll agree with that.

Man, I have historically had mixed feelings about UV, but I can't say how delighted I am that they are taking these truly urban gems and bringing them back to life. In almost one fell swoop, that stretch of Park Avenue will be lifted out of ruin.

At the same time, seeing those pictures (and thanks, Brad) reminds us how embarrassing it is that we let our urban heritage sink to such a low (as a city, and more broadly as a nation and a "society").

I definitely see the "second wave" to come after all of UV's remodels will be a host of new infill apartments (like what we're seeing on the periphery of the Old Market and Downtown) and a rash of new home-ownership and private restoration projects (like what S33 mentioned possibly wanting to do himself).
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

They are really moving along on these.  They still have the Deco's listed for opening on Halloween.  The southernmost building appears to be livable, and the north two are getting close.  They were putting landscaping in on those three just over this weekend.  The Bernard is looking good too.  They have almost all of the windows in and are painting the soffits.  That building and the one on the other side of Leavenworth are really going to look sharp when they're done; there is so much detail in the masonry and stonework, and it's impressive how good condition it's in.

They also have the parking lot in in the open space.  It's pretty good sized, but I don't know if it has space for all of the expected tenants.  There is still a decent amount of open area between it and the two townhouses, but I'd guess that will be trees and landscaping (or maybe an enclosed garage in the future: I wouldn't be surprised to see that either).  It is a pretty big gap in the streetscape there with the parking and open space, but UV does pretty good with landscaping, so I'm sure it will look nice.  When you consider how many units are in all those buildings, you really need quite a bit of space for parking.

All in all, I'm excited to see it finished and the effect it will have on the area.  My wife and I will actually be willing to give people directions to our house from Park Ave. soon, lol.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Seth wrote:When you consider how many units are in all those buildings, you really need quite a bit of space for parking.
Seth! You know better.  :;):
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Fromaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Fromaha »

Thanks for the photos, Brad.

The amazing thing about this project is the incredible size. Such a large area will be improved immeasurably. While this will have an immediate impact on the neighborhood, my main concern would be security. This is still a neighborhood in transition, so the criminal elements are still there. I would hope that there would be private security contracted to make sure that this doesn't degenerate back into squalor. It would be tough to keep these units full if cars are getting broken into and graffiti constantly defacing the buildings.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

The three apartment buildings on the south end of the project, I think they are the ones labeled the art decos, used to be the Adelphia Hotel and Apartments.  There was a restaurant in the northernmost building and they advertised as fireproof.  The owner was Mrs. Buck.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

KETV featured this project in a story last night.  They look Awesome on the Inside!

Video at the link
http://www.ketv.com/money/30099099/detail.html
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

A set of grandparents lived on the first floor of the building featured in the story during the 1960's.  I remember the rooms were big and the apartments had tall ceilings.  Most of these buildings were populated by the elderly---especially elderly women on fixed incomes.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

So this development is the devil?
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

Nope.  Just giving you a snapshot of what the neighborhood looked like 50 years ago. Chill out.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

That's great that this kind of project is getting some media coverage.  It's a good sign that the city is doing their part to encourage redevelopment.  Hopefully the momentum we're seeing continues, and from all the new projects we've seen announced recently, it seems like it will.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Some low life piece of |expletive| busted out new windows on  this project...
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Brad wrote:Some low life piece of |expletive| busted out new windows on  this project...
They have surveillance cameras, I hope they catch the guy.
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

I don't understand how people can care so little.  These are such beautiful historic brick buildings and the owner is doing such a magnificent job remodeling them.  I hope they can finish without further incident.
where the corn meets the concrete
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Restoring Omaha
Rhonda Stansberry WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:On Friday night, a reception and tour will give participants a chance to see another kind of overhaul — one that involves eight apartment buildings. A 7 p.m. reception at Barnard Flats will include a tour of some of the apartments rehabbed by Urban Village.

The apartments face east at Leavenworth Street and Park Avenue. Designed in 1902 by John Latenser, they were Omaha's answer to apartment living when the streetcar was the chief mode of transportation.

The buildings are: Barnard Flats (one building), Art Deco (three buildings), Portland (two duplexes), the Unitah (one building) and Selma (one building).

A city bus line serves the area. Tenants will have bicycle parking, off-street parking lots and on-street parking.

Some of the buildings have interior courtyards with fire pits to foster community, but Tracey and Semrad said their plans to build and develop the community of tenants and neighbors will extend beyond the building grounds.

Groundbreaking for a community garden will be in the spring, artists will be invited to paint murals on a neighboring grocery store and driving lanes on Leavenworth Street will be narrowed to create a more pedestrian-friendly corner. Tracey has been studying bus stop shelters that are both functional and vibrant.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

It's great that this project is getting such good press (deserving too, on account of the scale and impact it will have in this neighborhood).  I'm also pleased to hear that there are plans to improve Leavenworth in this area, as it looks pretty shabby, especially in comparison to the new adjacent streetscape improvements by Avanza and on St. Marys.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Just wanted to bump this.  Looking a 1000 times better in that area than it did last fall.  These should push all the other properties on Park Ave to up their game hopefully.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Yeah, the project really has been moving along.  The landscaping looks fantastic and really adds the finishing touch.

There are some nice properties on Park Ave that have been renovated, some recent, some a while ago, and some others underway.  There are a few victorian-era houses that have been maintained pretty well (one next to the southernmost UV building, and a couple more down a few blocks across from Hanscom Park), and there are still a few left that are in recoverable condition.  The three apartment buildings down the block from me are also undergoing various levels of renovation and repair.  It looks like the two on the southwest corner of Park and Harris are being redone to some degree (new windows, interior renovation), while the one on the northwest corner has had a fair amount of maintenance and repair done lately.  They aren't the gentrification-level renos that UV is doing, but are bringing them up to an attractive and livable condition.

It would be great to see this area redevelop with a nice mix of high-end and middle-class affordable projects.  From what I'm seeing now, that appears to be beginning.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Way back when, before any of us were born, Park Avenue was one of the prestige Omaha addresses.  That day may once again be upon us.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

nativeomahan wrote:Way back when, before any of us were born, Park Avenue was one of the prestige Omaha addresses.  That day may once again be upon us.
Might want to rein in that expectation for awhile...  ;)  Unless that Avanza turns into a Whole Foods somewhere along the line.
Stable genius.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Make that a Trader Joe's and my wife will never want to move!
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Seth wrote:Make that a Trader Joe's and my wife will never want to move!
We live a five minute walk from the one in OPP and figure it has added several thousand $ to our home value.  It is certainly worth that much to us to live so close, as we shop there every few days.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

nativeomahan wrote:
Seth wrote:Make that a Trader Joe's and my wife will never want to move!
We live a five minute walk from the one in OPP and figure it has added several thousand $ to our home value.  It is certainly worth that much to us to live so close, as we shop there every few days.
Yeah, my wife often comments that she wishes it was closer to us.  I optimistically tell her that in 5-10 years, there might be demand for a midtown/downtown location.