Urban Village (30th and Leavenworth)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

They have dug up the street along Leavenworth this past week, that will add some more green space and a bike lane.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Brad wrote:They have dug up the street along Leavenworth this past week, that will add some more green space and a bike lane.
That's awesome!  I figured it was just for utility work, but if they add curb bump-outs and a bike lane, that will make that corner so much nicer.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

All buildings that have a Certificate of Occupancy are 100% leased.  Rent for $700 - $1800 per month.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Brad wrote:All buildings that have a Certificate of Occupancy are 100% leased.  Rent for $700 - $1800 per month.
Wow, I knew they'd be popular, but I didn't expect them to fill that fast!
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Since I got back into town this week I've been able to see the new curb and sidewalk construction.  I think the bump-outs are really going to improve the corner.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

This development is one of the brightest things to happen to eastern midtown in my memory.  Clearly MTC helped facilitate this project, by stabilizing the general neighborhood.  Park Ave. is becoming trendy once again.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

nativeomahan wrote:This development is one of the brightest things to happen to eastern midtown in my memory.  Clearly MTC helped facilitate this project, by stabilizing the general neighborhood.  Park Ave. is becoming trendy once again.
Check Urban Village's facebook.  Lots of pictures of the renovations here.  They look amazing!  Also I didn't realize they are including a community garden here.

Also recently announced a mural concept for the back wall of Avanza.  This would be really cool.

I know it has been said before, but this company is doing some of the most important urban development work in the city.  The impact of their two dozen projects all over midtown cannot be overstated.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

The reverse diagonal parking is now installed, gives you a taste of how 16th should work in a few years.  Although maybe there needs to be some public knowledge on how it works, of the 12 or so cars parked along the stretch today 3 were in their stalls the wrong way.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote:The reverse diagonal parking is now installed, gives you a taste of how 16th should work in a few years.  Although maybe there needs to be some public knowledge on how it works, of the 12 or so cars parked along the stretch today 3 were in their stalls the wrong way.
I wondered when we were working on the plans for this how long it was going to take to catch on.  Its simple once you know what to do.

Did they put up the sighs that explain it?

Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

The company I'm working with in Canada requires everyone to back into parking spaces in their regular perpendicular parking lot.  It's actually encouraged by Canadian provincial workplace safety administrations.  It makes a lot of sense, as it's generally safer to do the more risky backing when you first park and other traffic can see you.  Then, when you leave, you pull out with very good visibility, versus pulling in when you have to back out with very poor visibility when surrounding traffic doesn't know you plan to start moving.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I think UP employees when in UP vehicles are required to back in too.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

New sign going up on one of the retail bays here, I couldn't make out what it would say though.  Green something or other.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

On the mural underway.

http://www.ketv.com/news/local-news/Loc ... index.html
In the coming weeks, a new mural is going up near Park Avenue and Leavenworth Street -- an area prone to graffiti, and it's being paired with artwork from local children.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

A news story about a mural with no picture.  I'm not impressed with KETV on this one.  They also don't even describe where it's going; I would gather it's going to be on the back of the Avanza/Thrift World?  My wife recently remarked that the Park Ave and Leavenworth corner is looking amazing except for the ugly back end of Avanza; hopefully this will spruce it up a bit.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Seth wrote:A news story about a mural with no picture.  I'm not impressed with KETV on this one.  They also don't even describe where it's going; I would gather it's going to be on the back of the Avanza/Thrift World?  My wife recently remarked that the Park Ave and Leavenworth corner is looking amazing except for the ugly back end of Avanza; hopefully this will spruce it up a bit.
Update from the facebook page yesterday.

Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Ahh, that does make sense.  Thanks for the pic!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Photo Update 7/31/2012

the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Wow. Dramatic difference since my time near this hood. Great project.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Wow. Nice!
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

That is an amazing transformation!   Great photos too! It would be fun to see "before and after" shots from the same angles.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Two thumbs up.  Way up!
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

The brick of these buildings is beyond amazing. How gorgeous.
FrontlineOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by FrontlineOmaha »

These guys were on grow omaha a few months back...they were talking about getting into single family home rehabilitation because they have a lot of tenants that want to buy a home but cant find anything that meets the caliber of what they're living in now, in that area of town.  At the time, I think they said every unit they had available was rented.  Its really quite the undertaking.  

Their story is worth listening to if you havent heard it.  Its in the archives somewhere back around april or may.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

Thanks, Urban Village.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Wow, amazing pics!  For full disclosure, my wife and I live 3 blocks south of there, so we've been extra excited about this project.  We bought our house before this project was announced (when it was still boarded up and abandoned), and this project really has me convinced we made the right decision.  As I always joke, now we can actually give people directions to our house that are easy to follow (rather then sending them on a long, meandering route through Field Club so it doesn't look like our neighborhood is so sketchy, lol)
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

iamjacobm wrote:New sign going up on one of the retail bays here, I couldn't make out what it would say though.  Green something or other.
http://omahype.com/2012/08/greengo-coffee-deli/

The cafe exclusively features coffee roasted at Grey Plume, which like most artisan roasted coffee is a step above the usual blackened corporate bean.
mchine73
Home Owners Association

Post by mchine73 »

I think they misspelled it Gringo.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

I will definitely have to check this place out.
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

From the photo it looks like it might say "green30" like maybe a play on beer30.
My old signature got too old. So old it was getting almost as old me as me. Yeah, it was up there in years.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

Plain as day now  :mrgreen:
My old signature got too old. So old it was getting almost as old me as me. Yeah, it was up there in years.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.omahabydesign.org/2012/08/ur ... od-leaf-2/
Their company, Urban Village Development, is the recipient of Omaha by Design’s 2012 Neighborhood Leaf. Presented annually, the award recognizes an individual, organization or business that has worked to preserve and enhance the metropolitan area’s residential neighborhoods.
Their latest effort is The Portlands, a series of three-bedroom, three bathroom townhomes on Park Avenue that opened June 30. The completion of this project brings Urban Village Development’s presence in midtown to about 360 units in about 25 buildings.
Midtown Maven
New to the Neighborhood

Avanza Mural - STart Lab Omaha

Post by Midtown Maven »

iamjacobm wrote:
nativeomahan wrote:This development is one of the brightest things to happen to eastern midtown in my memory.  Clearly MTC helped facilitate this project, by stabilizing the general neighborhood.  Park Ave. is becoming trendy once again.
Check Urban Village's facebook.  Lots of pictures of the renovations here.  They look amazing!  Also I didn't realize they are including a community garden here.

Also recently announced a mural concept for the back wall of Avanza.  This would be really cool.

I know it has been said before, but this company is doing some of the most important urban development work in the city.  The impact of their two dozen projects all over midtown cannot be overstated.
Hi guys!  I just wanted to say how cool it was to read this forum this morning!  I am the Creative Director for Urban Village Development :) I recently started my own small organization called STart Lab Omaha "START-ing col-LAB-orations".  We are responsible for the mural on the back wall of AVANZA as well as the small mural in front of PARK AVE GROCERY and the Recycled wood Community Garden on 30th Marcy (behind the Art Deco Buildings).  Read more about us here: http://www.facebook.com/SartLabOmaha?ref=hl
Midtown Maven
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Midtown Maven »

Hi guys!  I just wanted to say how cool it was to read this forum this morning!  I am the Creative Director for Urban Village Development  I recently started my own small organization called STart Lab Omaha "START-ing col-LAB-orations".  We are responsible for the mural on the back wall of AVANZA as well as the small mural in front of PARK AVE GROCERY and the Recycled wood Community Garden on 30th Marcy (behind the Art Deco Buildings).  Read more about us here: http://www.facebook.com/SartLabOmaha?ref=hl
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Looks like this project is already being felt down the street.  An old apartment building a few blocks south is getting a major renovation right now.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

Probably the best part about these guys is that they are willing to help others figure out how to make the same types of things work.  They know that they need help to make these neighborhoods turn around.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

This may not be a part of this project, but it is almost behind the Art Deco Buildings at 30th and Mason:

SaveOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by SaveOmaha »

S.L. Jensen is behind this particular rehab.
Last edited by SaveOmaha on Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Just so happens that 1011 South Ave LLC (Larry Jensen) is asking for TIF on this project which is being turned into 15 one, two and three bedroom units, on a building which the city had scheduled for demolition.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

I've been watching this building for a while (I live nearby) and was hoping it would get the proper treatment.  It's great to see other developers taking advantage of the potential in this neighborhood.