Official: Missouri River Pedestrian Bridge

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Brad wrote:
What is on the very top? A beacon
Its a counterweight that keeps the tower stable in high winds during construction.

So will this be removed once the bridge is complete?  Obviously the rendering in SA's post shows it w/o the counterweight, but I thought I'd ask anyway.
mcarch
Library Board

Post by mcarch »

Will there be any lighting going on at the top at night?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

The first Deck Pour:

Cable size.. I have big hands:
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Great pics Brad, can't wait to see the deck and cables go up. Here's a couple pics I took today.
Tugboat pushing the "floating barge thing" up to the bank. I'm assuming to load a crane onto it to hang deck steel.

Both piers painted. How sweet it is.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Fabulous photo update guys..

Great job..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

They are already pouring the deck on the CB side, the towers are done, and all they have to do is string the cables and hang the deck over the river.  Is it just me, or does it seem like they're further ahead than expected?  I just cant see the rest of it taking a year to complete...
Raraavis
Library Board

Post by Raraavis »

thenewguy wrote:They are already pouring the deck on the CB side, the towers are done, and all they have to do is string the cables and hang the deck over the river.  Is it just me, or does it seem like they're further ahead than expected?  I just cant see the rest of it taking a year to complete...
I imagine that will depend a lot on the weather we have the next 4 or 5 months.  If we have a mild winter I would expect the bridge to be done early.
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

thenewguy wrote:all they have to do is string the cables and hang the deck over the river
that's all huh? :;):

I'm not a bridge builder by any means, but doesn't the hanging of bridge deck and cabling sound like a fairly complicated procedure to anyone else?  God only knows how long this could take.

I agree, they seem to be moving along at a pretty good clip, and I'm optimistic things will get done quicker than expected, but by no means would I call the bridge anywhere near complete.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

Ah heck Ben, i was expecting to get called out, but not by you :P  Actually, looking back at that post, i know it sounds pretty..."Minarded" haha.  I know there's more involved with it than just cables, but hey, i'm playing the role of optimistic guy :)  Anyhow, i'd LOVE to see it done around the middle or end of summer (being WAY optimistic again) so that i can ride my bike across it.  Here's for hopin' ;)
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Streets,

The hill that you don't like.... Most of it is gone now.  It was just for compaction.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Right, but I'm also referring to the slope of the bridge as it circles around on the Omaha side.  It will look nice and everything with the steps up from Riverfront Dr. but it does obscure the view from close up a little bit.

I certainly don't HATE it.  Hate is a strong word  :D .  And I LOVE the overall project.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
midtown charlie
Human Relations

Post by midtown charlie »

I have a minor concern with all of this talk about jamming the baseball stadium next to the Quest addition.  Will that completely obscure the new bridge from peoples view.  (Especially those in North Downtown)  ohhh sure you will still see the spires but will you see anything else??  This will become an iconic structure for Omaha.  I would hate (oops I mean really dislike) :;):  to see it obscured from view unless you are standing right next to it.  Maybe it is a non issue but based on some maps and images I have seen I wonder if they will be eliminating our view of it.
DundeeDude
New to the Neighborhood

Post by DundeeDude »

Speaking of that circular slope leading up to the NE side of the bridge.  One thing I have wondered if they do build a new stadium in Lot D, is whether they could make a spoke of the top of the West side of the circular slope basically dumping into Lot D over Riverfront Drive and the train tracks.  I don't know if they is possible, maybe the slope isn't high enough or maybe there isn't room for the supports.  But if they do build a stadium in Lot D they need to have some kind of bridge from the stadium to the bridge.  As it is now, people would have to walk over a mile to get to the bridge even though it would be only several hundred yards away.  Curious what anyone else thinks about this.  I know Lot D is just a proposal, but it is the Mayor's # 1 choice
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

if they do build on lot d, i'm sure they would address the mile trek to the bridge...though, it wouldn't be so bad, all that walkin' is good for the health :)  I'd like to see some sort of small eatery near the bridge, maybe near the base or just a bit away from it.  At the navy pier, which is pretty much pedestrian only oriented, they've got little snack shops and small resturants all along there.  It'd be a nice addition, and if they can put in a bike shop on the omaha or cb side, on top of the playland park development, we'd have us a nice, very pedestrian bridge!
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

That hill that you don't like.... Most of it is gone now.  It was just for compaction.
Didn't we establish like within a day or two of the "hill" being placed that it was surcharge (i.e. for compaction)?
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

DundeeDude and NewGuy, both of those will be addressed.  There's a riverfront restaurant as part of phase two at Riverfront Place, and there will definitely be a bridge connecting the stadium with the Ped. Bridge, probably from Webster Street.

Charlie,
I wouldn't worry about viewpoints being blocked.  The fact is some areas will have a great view, and others won't.  Webster Street is going to end up being a key street to north Downtown, potentially more so than Cuming.  It'll connect the riverfront, new stadium, Qwest Center, Saddle Creek/Film Streams/Urban Outfitters, and Creighton with more to come.  The master plan for the district was meant to have Webster with a vista to the pedestrian bridge.  It's going to be really cool.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
midtown charlie
Human Relations

Post by midtown charlie »

I realize that the master plan calls for it.  The master plan did not call for the stadium to be in lot D though.  With that and an expanded Qwest, I hope that they don't seal off the ped bridge from Webster street.  At the least visually but even more importantly from accessibility.  I too think that it would be striking when going down Webster st. to see it off in the distance.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Well, Webster is almost directly lined up with the bridge, so as long as they don't relocate Webster, the view will be stunning.  In fact, a Qwest expansion and the stadium in lot D would do well to frame the view, I think!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

DundeeDude wrote:Speaking of that circular slope leading up to the NE side of the bridge.  One thing I have wondered if they do build a new stadium in Lot D, is whether they could make a spoke of the top of the West side of the circular slope basically dumping into Lot D over Riverfront Drive and the train tracks.  I don't know if they is possible, maybe the slope isn't high enough or maybe there isn't room for the supports.  But if they do build a stadium in Lot D they need to have some kind of bridge from the stadium to the bridge.  As it is now, people would have to walk over a mile to get to the bridge even though it would be only several hundred yards away.  Curious what anyone else thinks about this.  I know Lot D is just a proposal, but it is the Mayor's # 1 choice
In the plan:
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Just thought I would throw this out as an example of how lighting could enhance the nighttime viewing of the ped bridge (Normandy Bridge in France)...

"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Wow that fan festival area is small.  So small i bet nike town wont have room to open up for the week.  Plus since they where in the photoshop mood for that bridge picture they should of went ahead and added wallstreet.
15-17, 26, 32
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Nice example icejammer..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

MTO wrote:Wow that fan festival area is small.  So small i bet nike town wont have room to open up for the week.  Plus since they where in the photoshop mood for that bridge picture they should of went ahead and added wallstreet.
Good thing they will have a store just down the road on Webster (not a rumor, just what I want).
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

there are 3 festival zones... i think that once it is done, and everyone looks at, it will end up being the same size or larger than what is outside of rosenblatt, and the houses directed west on 13th street.  I wouldn't be surprised that if they build downtown, shops dont pop up all over down there, especially near/in slowdown, and then the festival area will seem bigger.  Also, take into consideration you can't count the beer garden, because it'll be going away anyway.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

First section of deck going up right now.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Brad wrote:First section of deck going up right now.
Awesome!  I saw that there were a couple truckloads of cable delivered to the site today as well, should be fun to watch it going together, piece by piece.

--William Jennings Bryan
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Is it just me or does it seem like this project is ahead of schedule?
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Stargazer wrote:Is it just me or does it seem like this project is ahead of schedule?
After taking this photo, I thought it was going to go quick...

however after seeing this pice up on the pier, it looks like a little toothpick and is going to take a while to get across.  I shot some photos over lunch that I will post tonight.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I can't tell from the webcam... so I assume we've got some cable strung then ?
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Stargazer wrote:I can't tell from the webcam... so I assume we've got some cable strung then ?
At 1:00 it was just the cables on the crane.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

This should give you some more scale..... THERE IS A GUY IN THE CENTER OF THE PICTURE:

the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

:shock: Freaking sweet! Can't wait to watch this deck steel process go forward. I know you have another pic or 2, break em out. :)
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

the1wags wrote::shock: Freaking sweet! ...I know you have another pic or 2, break em out. :)
Thanks, of course I shot 20 or 30....

Here are a few more:

And a quick rendering:
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Great shots Brad! Thanks for posting them!
SaOmaha
Library Board

Post by SaOmaha »

The Midlands section of this morning Omaha World-Herald had picture of first bridge deck frame being attached to support beam of the Nebraska tower.

Last edited by SaOmaha on Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

Just a couple of observations: that is a big |expletive| crane.  That is also going to be a big |expletive| bridge.  I think that's the first picture i have seen where it shows the whole tower with someone up in a bucket next to it.  I still have to say, it seems to me that it is moving along a lot quicker than they let on...am i the only one? :)  Call me captain obvious, on my observations, haha.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

thenewguy wrote:I think that's the first picture i have seen where it shows the whole tower with someone up in a bucket next to it.
What are you talking about?

POSTED 2 DAYS BEFORE and 2 POSTS BEFORE:

thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

That's what i'm talking about!  I wasn't referring to the one in the paper, i meant the ones you took Brad :)  I just read the posts from the 6th on (i missed them when i was browsing the posts the other night---i didn't notice that you had posted it for some reason).  Work has been tough the last few weeks, not sleeping a lot, etc, and i didn't have a chance.  Come on man, you're always posting good pictures of the bridge, i usually read here first (and usually, only) because i dont get the world herald on a regular basis.  My apologies, i try to keep up where i can :)
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

...even though i did post on the 6th at 5 am.  I didn't check this thread until today :P