Capitol District (NWC 10th & Capitol)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Linkin5
County Board

Re: Official: Capitol District

Post by Linkin5 »

11th floor is definitely going up and glass panels are starting to go on the hotel, looks really good.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Linkin5 wrote:11th floor is definitely going up and glass panels are starting to go on the hotel, looks really good.
Agreed.

Once completed, this development will have quite a bit more "impact" visually downtown than many people realize...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Flickr photo won't embed? Anyway you can see how big of a presence this hotel has on the Iowa side.

Moderator Edit:
Clikc the Share button and then on the window that pops up, copy and past the BBC code.
ImageUntitled by jim jones, on Flickr
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Linkin5 wrote:Flickr photo won't embed? Anyway you can see how big of a presence this hotel has on the Iowa side.

That's a pretty cool photo. I didn't realize how much those buildings do have an impact. It's a shame that we won't see that HDR building too. Kind of.
No posts exist for this topic
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

MadMartin8 wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:Flickr photo won't embed? Anyway you can see how big of a presence this hotel has on the Iowa side.

That's a pretty cool photo. I didn't realize how much those buildings do have an impact. It's a shame that we won't see that HDR building too. Kind of.
Very cool photo Linkin5 :thumb: ..

And MadMartin, I agree completely .. Especially (and sadly) the HDR part :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Nice perspective. Once the other 6 stories are completed, it is really going to fill in the gap from that view between the two first national buildings.
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

What's Storz still doing in that pic? :D
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Echoing others, this will look nice and really add density from the river angle. Mentioned it a bunch before, but a lot of times skylines look impressive b/c of their density not their couple tall ones poking out. This is a great addition to DT both visually and actual impact.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Ha that's how pathetic this city is that we lie to ourselves about a building that won't impact the skyline impacting the skyline.
15-17, 26, 32
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

MTO wrote:Ha that's how pathetic this city is that we lie to ourselves about a building that won't impact the skyline impacting the skyline.

You back to eating paint chips?
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

MTO wrote:Ha that's how pathetic this city is that we lie to ourselves about a building that won't impact the skyline impacting the skyline.

Someone needs a hug. :hi:
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

They have installed some windows on the east side of the apt building.
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

No more floors on the apartment building. They have started adding a half height parapet wall on the northwest corner.

So it looks like it is 12 floors from the northwest corner and 11 floors from Capital street. One floor of retail and 10 floors of apartments.
ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

FYI - they have been working on the pile/foundation for the parking garage.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Monday Photo Update:
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Brad wrote:Monday Photo Update:
Been waiting for another one of these..

Excellent Brad :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Brad wrote:Monday Photo Update:
Brad, excellent shot as always.

For anyone who has the time/want.... is it possible to get a shot from the southeast looking northwest? I'm curious to see more of the "courtyard" area, plus curious to see how it looks from the street level now. Also, I'm still curious when they will start the office buildings.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

MadMartin8 wrote:

For anyone who has the time/want.... is it possible to get a shot from the southeast looking northwest? I'm curious to see more of the "courtyard" area, plus curious to see how it looks from the street level now. Also, I'm still curious when they will start the office buildings.
I wouldn't hold your breath on the office buildings. After CONAgra and the HDR debacle, I don't see why anyone would build more office downtown. I hope I am wrong but I just can't see it.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

MadMartin8 wrote:Brad, excellent shot as always.

Thanks!

I think I have that photo you are looking for from one of my last trips down there. Let me see if I can round it up tonight.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Is that white the final look?
15-17, 26, 32
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Brad wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:Brad, excellent shot as always.

Thanks!

I think I have that photo you are looking for from one of my last trips down there. Let me see if I can round it up tonight.
Awesome! Thanks Brad, no rush or anything. I'm just curious to see.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

choke wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:

I wouldn't hold your breath on the office buildings. After CONAgra and the HDR debacle, I don't see why anyone would build more office downtown. I hope I am wrong but I just can't see it.
What do those have to do with this project?
ShaneofCal
New to the Neighborhood

Post by ShaneofCal »

choke wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:

You'll have to elaborate. I don't see the connection.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

Thanks for the photos Brad!
nebraska0490
New to the Neighborhood

Post by nebraska0490 »

In response to the office building, I have a friend who is part of the investment team for the Capital District. He mentioned to me this weekend that is it currently on hold and didn't know when it would start (like many of us have guessed). He couldn't even answer how many floors it would be, as so much of it is up in the air. Hopefully the south edge along Capital doesn't sit vacant for too long. They have made some tweaks to the plaza space in the center, since the original plans posted. They are modeling after the plaza in CityCenterDC (by GGN). If you do a quick search, online you can see their precedence at the very least. Hopefully it is close to as successful!
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

I could see the office space being turned into more residential depending on how well the apartments do. Maybe even condo.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

nebraska0490 wrote:In response to the office building, I have a friend who is part of the investment team for the Capital District. He mentioned to me this weekend that is it currently on hold and didn't know when it would start (like many of us have guessed). He couldn't even answer how many floors it would be, as so much of it is up in the air. Hopefully the south edge along Capital doesn't sit vacant for too long. They have made some tweaks to the plaza space in the center, since the original plans posted. They are modeling after the plaza in CityCenterDC (by GGN). If you do a quick search, online you can see their precedence at the very least. Hopefully it is close to as successful!
And that's why there'll be no high rise in the tetrad project.
15-17, 26, 32
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I think in the short term, if they landscape it nicely it should look fine. I am sure with a $200 million development, they aren't going to let it just sit vacant right in the middle of the development.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

On a side note, I am bit disappointed that the southeastern wall of the apt building doesn't have windows. Right now it just looks like a huge wall. Hopefully the finishings are nice or that could end up looking pretty bad. The original rendering looked like it was going to be glass.

Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

skinzfan23 wrote:On a side note, I am bit disappointed that the southeastern wall of the apt building doesn't have windows. Right now it just looks like a huge wall. Hopefully the finishings are nice or that could end up looking pretty bad. The original rendering looked like it was going to be glass.

What is that huge box on top of the apartment building? Are we going to get that much more height added to the top of the building?

Are the office buildings still planned at 8 stories? I forgot they were that big.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I am pretty sure that the design has changed since these renderings. Last I saw, the office buildings were going to be 6 stories, but as just mentioned, they are probably on hold for now. I am pretty sure the apt building is topped out right now.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

We're not exactly talking a huge office square footage here, relatively speaking. It wouldn't surprise me to see a few companies make up the floors. It's not a huge high rise, and look to be similar in size to some suburban offices when you factor in the first floor retail space. I don't think they will sit vacant for long if they do build them (which I hope they do).
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

skinzfan23 wrote:I think in the short term, if they landscape it nicely it should look fine. I am sure with a $200 million development, they aren't going to let it just sit vacant right in the middle of the development.
I Agree with this. The Apartment and the Hotel were the 2 most important pieces to the development. By summer of 2017, they'll both be completed.. I'd expect the office component of Capitol District to be strategically piece-mealed in over the next several years...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

ShaneofCal wrote:
choke wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:

I think HDR downtown would have helped with perception; "Look, HDR relocated 1000 employees downtown, maybe that's where we should be." And then you have ConAgra leave. Well, that's a lot of pretty nice office space up for grabs (parking, green space, Class A) that nobody is interested in. Let me ask you, would you build office space downtown?
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

If you redid the roofs on them so they're flat and gutted the inside, they'd make for for some mean apartments or condos.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

choke wrote:
ShaneofCal wrote:
choke wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:

I think HDR downtown would have helped with perception; "Look, HDR relocated 1000 employees downtown, maybe that's where we should be." And then you have ConAgra leave. Well, that's a lot of pretty nice office space up for grabs (parking, green space, Class A) that nobody is interested in. Let me ask you, would you build office space downtown?
Between Rail and Commerce Building and the Alvine Building there is ~140K SF of office space u/c or soon to be. It isn't a total wasteland.

EDIT: Kiewit is about 60K too I think.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

iamjacobm wrote:
choke wrote:
ShaneofCal wrote:
choke wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:

Between Rail and Commerce Building and the Alvine Building there is ~140K SF of office space u/c or soon to be. It isn't a total wasteland.

EDIT: Kiewit is about 60K too I think.

True. I assume Kiewit and Alvine already have tenants: themselves. I forgot about Rail and Commerce. That is a sweet building. Does it already have tenants?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Boyd Jones Construction and Bluestem Energy moving their offices there taking one floor.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I believe this is a new pdf for the site.

http://x.lnimg.com/attachments/03AC0EE4 ... FEAB9D.pdf

Looking like August is the opening date next year too.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

Today I learned that Werner, TD Ameritrade, West and Valmont all have their headquarters in downtown Omaha.