Capitol District (NWC 10th & Capitol)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Re: Official: Capitol District

Post by Brad »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:I going to try and get down there this weekend and maybe snap some pics..

Hopefully the weather will be a bit less dreary this Sat/Sun...
I here you there. The weather has been terrible for taking update photos this month.
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

I can't seem to find the article, but one of the local news stations did a story about the Marriott doing a jobs fair to hire a bunch of staff. The GM was quoted as saying they're on track for a "June or July" opening. To me, this is implying that they're trying to lower expectations that they'll be ready for the CWS in mid-June, which was always their intended opening date...

Did anyone else catch this?
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

mahaboy wrote:Well, according to http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/o ... -district/ , the downtown Marriott will be opened in August of 2017.
Just checked the website again....it looks like they did update the opening to July 2017.
Spatial77
Home Owners Association

Post by Spatial77 »

Looks like they are pulling the top part of the construction elevator on the hotel. They need to start dismantling it to finish the south side of the building. Probabably just removing the top section so they can finish the "brow", then pull the rest later.
"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." -- Niels Bohr
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Downtown Omaha Marriott website is really coming along:

http://www.downtownomahamarriott.com/
Taco
Human Relations

Post by Taco »

The windowless face of the apartment building looks a lot better with the offices to hide it. Here's to hoping those get built soon.
schumatt
Home Owners Association

Post by schumatt »

Looks like the Marriott also has some interior construction photos on their Facebook page and Instagram account. The Meeting Space Guide from the website also has a floor plan of the event spaces. Looking good!

omahahawk
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahahawk »

Thanks for posting the pics and floor plans. One thing though...the room mock up is interesting. It looks like the room has laminate wood flooring. I wonder if that is really going to be the case for some or all of the rooms or if they will have the typical carpet throughout.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

I find it odd that any official rendering releases by this group seems to go back and forth between the original and updated office component design. I'm fairly certain the updated version is the one they're going with, regrettably, but I'm longing for the original design.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Very nice schumatt..

Thanks for sharing those pics :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Thanks schumatt! :yes:
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Dumb question, but are a lot of the proposed bars and restaurants for the entertainment part of the district housed in the yet to be started office buildings?

Greg
EricHaley
Human Relations

Post by EricHaley »

Looks like the construction elevator on the hotel is coming down this morning.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

RNcyanide wrote:I find it odd that any official rendering releases by this group seems to go back and forth between the original and updated office component design. I'm fairly certain the updated version is the one they're going with, regrettably, but I'm longing for the original design.
I'm not sure what you mean as far as the updated office design, and I'm having trouble finding them. Can you post the images?
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Greg S wrote:Dumb question, but are a lot of the proposed bars and restaurants for the entertainment part of the district housed in the yet to be started office buildings?

Greg
I don't believe there have been any tenants publicly announced yet. I think the first phase for commercial is going to be centered around the 2 story retail structure on the north end of the square though.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Garrett wrote:
RNcyanide wrote:I find it odd that any official rendering releases by this group seems to go back and forth between the original and updated office component design. I'm fairly certain the updated version is the one they're going with, regrettably, but I'm longing for the original design.
I'm not sure what you mean as far as the updated office design, and I'm having trouble finding them. Can you post the images?
I'm not able to right now, but the original is the sleek eight story buildings with a skybridge, and the other is a single six story Building that looks like the paclife Building in aksarben.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I was wondering what they were doing under 480 south of the CenturyLink Center, but it appears it is surface parking for the Capitol District. Good use of the space since it previously was just a grassy area that didn't get used.
Spatial77
Home Owners Association

Post by Spatial77 »

The next few weeks are going to see some major changes to the Capitol District. They will be placing the last of the pre-cast on the garage, pulling the plywood off the ground floor of the apartments, installing the last of the glass on the hotel, and the restaurant/shops building is starting to go verticle. I am still not sure the hotel will be set to go by July, but then again...
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Garrett wrote:
It was a bit of a pain but I found the other design for the office portion. So does anyone know which one they're going with??

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1456/247 ... 78587f.jpg

The Bride
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I wouldn't get to hung up on any office designs now, b/c I really don't see that part moving forward soon.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

iamjacobm wrote:I wouldn't get to hung up on any office designs now, b/c I really don't see that part moving forward soon.

Honestly wouldn't surprise me to see those office buildings converted to shorter retail buildings like the one that is currently under construction. Maybe have a few more apartments on top, or maybe a SMALL office component.
No posts exist for this topic
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

MadMartin8 wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:I wouldn't get to hung up on any office designs now, b/c I really don't see that part moving forward soon.

Honestly wouldn't surprise me to see those office buildings converted to shorter retail buildings like the one that is currently under construction. Maybe have a few more apartments on top, or maybe a SMALL office component.
Yes, I hear Mike Moylan is running out of cash.
#gohawks
Nick808402
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Nick808402 »

What's going on at that tiny parcel of land across the street front the front of Old Matt?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Nick808402 wrote:What's going on at that tiny parcel of land across the street front the front of Old Matt?
http://eomahaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=14255
admiralArchArch
New to the Neighborhood

Post by admiralArchArch »

Its too bad they're finishing most of the exterior in EIFS, especially on a high rise. It really cheapens it up and it will look like |expletive| in 10 years, I guarantee it. Especially that blank east elevation...my god...so much EIFS.
Spatial77
Home Owners Association

Post by Spatial77 »

admiralArchArch wrote:Its too bad they're finishing most of the exterior in EIFS, especially on a high rise. It really cheapens it up and it will look like |expletive| in 10 years, I guarantee it. Especially that blank east elevation...my god...so much EIFS.
Maybe they can hang a gigantic piece of art on it like the banners that were on the grain elevator on I-80 and 35th. Or better yet, get Christo to hang a giant drape on it!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Photo Update:

MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Brad wrote:Photo Update:

The side of the apartments seen from this angle, I like...it's growing on me. Looks like retail bays all along all sides of it too?

Any shots by chance of any work going on with the third building, the "retail" one?
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Brad wrote:Photo Update:

Excellent pic update Brad :thumb: ..

Finally some decent weather to get some good shots in...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
NeGoofyfoot
New to the Neighborhood

Post by NeGoofyfoot »

I feel like this building is a real missed opportunity to bring something really cool and exciting to omaha...it just feels really bland and ordinary, in contrast to the gleaming Marriot it sits across from! Aside from the height, which is not all that impressive...it's rather unispiring
NeGoofyfoot
New to the Neighborhood

Post by NeGoofyfoot »

:argue:
NeGoofyfoot wrote:I feel like this building is a real missed opportunity to bring something really cool and exciting to omaha...it just feels really bland and ordinary, in contrast to the gleaming Marriot it sits across from! Aside from the height, which is not all that impressive...it's rather unispiring
Ugh...and that parking garage :roll: could it be any uglier and unnecessary...if I'm not mistaken isn't there a YUGE garage directly across the street from this building, and another catty corner from it...again seems like another missed opportunity to do something cool...we instead, bow to the almighty car, once again!
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

NeGoofyfoot wrote::argue:
NeGoofyfoot wrote:I feel like this building is a real missed opportunity to bring something really cool and exciting to omaha...it just feels really bland and ordinary, in contrast to the gleaming Marriot it sits across from! Aside from the height, which is not all that impressive...it's rather unispiring
Ugh...and that parking garage :roll: could it be any uglier and unnecessary...if I'm not mistaken isn't there a YUGE garage directly across the street from this building, and another catty corner from it...again seems like another missed opportunity to do something cool...we instead, bow to the almighty car, once again!

I'd argue it's quite necessary, as it will also be utilized for a regional convention center hotel.
NeGoofyfoot
New to the Neighborhood

Post by NeGoofyfoot »

NEDodger wrote:
NeGoofyfoot wrote::argue:

I'd argue it's quite necessary, as it will also be utilized for a regional convention center hotel.
Point taken, but does it's have to be so parking garagey looking? Hopefully the final product comes out looking a bit more...."discreet"
swgiust
Library Board

Post by swgiust »

Anybody have any idea what is going into the open bays on the bottom of the apartment building?
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I agree, the parking garage does look pretty bland. I wish they would add some finishing touches like some of the other garages downtown (Omaha Park 8 )

In other news, it appears that construction fencing is up for the Capitol Place apts on the southeast corner of 10th and Capitol. I knew a previous article in the newspaper stated that construction was going to start this spring on the six-story building.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Can't help but think that the courtyard area would be a good place for a farmer's market thing. Kinda like the Rivermarket area in KC.
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

Post by PotatoeEatsFish »

MadMartin8 wrote:Can't help but think that the courtyard area would be a good place for a farmer's market thing. Kinda like the Rivermarket area in KC.
That's a great idea, keep it full during the summer/fall.
Isn't the ice rink going in during the winter too?
#SaveTheUglyGrainSilos2024
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

skinzfan23 wrote:In other news, it appears that construction fencing is up for the Capitol Place apts on the southeast corner of 10th and Capitol. I knew a previous article in the newspaper stated that construction was going to start this spring on the six-story building.
I think this broke ground today. We don't have a separate thread for this project do we?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote:
skinzfan23 wrote:In other news, it appears that construction fencing is up for the Capitol Place apts on the southeast corner of 10th and Capitol. I knew a previous article in the newspaper stated that construction was going to start this spring on the six-story building.
I think this broke ground today. We don't have a separate thread for this project do we?
I searched and searched for it a couple months ago with no success.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

It looks like the 2 story retail building has its western wall going up.