Capitol District (NWC 10th & Capitol)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Re: Official: Capitol District

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Yes, I had read August too. But perhaps it's been pushed back to September now...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

Spatial77 wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:I wonder how close to complete the Marriott will be by CWS time in 3 weeks.. As Maxwell Smart would say- "missed it by THAT much"...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I checked the Marriott website last week and they are not taking reservations until the end of September.
the website always takes reservations further in advance than true opening. the "soft opening is usually 1-2 months in advance, but does not appear to be open for CWS unless it is a floor or two open.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Omaha_Gabe wrote:
Spatial77 wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:I wonder how close to complete the Marriott will be by CWS time in 3 weeks.. As Maxwell Smart would say- "missed it by THAT much"...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I checked the Marriott website last week and they are not taking reservations until the end of September.
the website always takes reservations further in advance than true opening. the "soft opening is usually 1-2 months in advance, but does not appear to be open for CWS unless it is a floor or two open.
Sounds like September/October it is...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
EricHaley
Human Relations

Post by EricHaley »

Looks like they lost the M off the Marriot sign on the south side of the hotel last night. Must have been knocked off by the storm.
schumatt
Home Owners Association

Post by schumatt »

EricHaley wrote:Looks like they lost the M off the Marriot sign on the south side of the hotel last night. Must have been knocked off by the storm.
If you're talking about M "icon" that would be above the Marriott text, it hasn't gone up yet.
EricHaley
Human Relations

Post by EricHaley »

schumatt wrote:
EricHaley wrote:Looks like they lost the M off the Marriot sign on the south side of the hotel last night. Must have been knocked off by the storm.
If you're talking about M "icon" that would be above the Marriott text, it hasn't gone up yet.
No, I'm talking about the letters that are currently up there. The face of the M came off. The rest is still there.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

You can see it on the work zone cam.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

These buildings are just so incredibly bland and cheap looking.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I think the hotel looks nice, but the apt building is very bland.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

skinzfan23 wrote:I think the hotel looks nice, but the apt building is very bland.
Agreed. It would be much better if it didn't have that massive blank wall on the southern portion of the east side.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Louie wrote:
skinzfan23 wrote:I think the hotel looks nice, but the apt building is very bland.
Agreed. It would be much better if it didn't have that massive blank wall on the southern portion of the east side.
Perfect spot for a giant screen.
No posts exist for this topic
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

MadMartin8 wrote: Perfect spot for a giant screen.
That is a good point, I thought in the early renderings they showed the screen on the hotel building, but maybe it would be better placement to put it on the apt building.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

MadMartin8 wrote:
Louie wrote:
Perfect spot for a giant screen.
Indeed :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

And regarding the "look" of the buildings, I honestly don't care. The Capitol District will serve its purpose well- Specifically providing another mixed used residential/commercial and entertainment option for Omaha area residents and out of towners alike.. While the Hotel component adds 330 rooms right next to CLink.. providing nearly 1000 rooms for the added boost of Omaha being much more competitive in attracting revenue rich conventions to the city..

Would I have liked a bolder, taller look for the development? Sure.. But at this point it is what it is and i'm glad it's finally nearing completion...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

The hotel's original rendering showed a much better version of what we are seeing now. The entertainment district is undoubtedly going to look cheap if they follow the same path they have.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

They removed all the letters for the sign on the hotel.
bmt
Home Owners Association

Post by bmt »

skinzfan23 wrote:They removed all the letters for the sign on the hotel.
Got to wonder if they are going to get larger letters. The old signage was a tad small.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I originally thought there were going to put the Marriott "M" above the wording. Then it wouldn't look so bad, but the letters that were up there were tiny for that building.
EricHaley
Human Relations

Post by EricHaley »

Aaaand the same letters are back up again…

According to the rendering, there will be a large red "M" logo above the lettering that's currently there. Looks like another sign will eventually be placed at the very top right corner of the hotel's east side.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

From the World Herald:

The district’s new 500-stall parking structure, north of 12th Street and Capitol Avenue, will open in time for the first pitch, its developer says, adding to available parking options in and around downtown Omaha for CWS patrons. Access to the new Capitol District parking garage is available off of 12th Street, Moylan said. (The fee has yet to be determined.)

Other main components of the Capitol District project — such as a signature Marriott Hotel and 12-story apartment building surrounding a town square of sorts — won’t open until later this summer. The full-service 333-room hotel is on schedule to open later in July. The 218-unit apartment building will greet its first tenants around that same time.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

That's a perfect view, you can see the status of the two story building as well.

You can also see how much of a hole exists with that surface parking lot that was to be HDR's HQ. Ugh.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

It was also noted that they will have the sidewalk open in front of the Marriott. That is great news, b/c they have the sidewalk closed on the east side of 10th and it would have made walking from the stadium to the Old Market a mess on that intersection.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

The development is moving into the stretch very nicely..

Can't wait to see the completed Marriott :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

The big "M" is going up on the south side of the hotel right now.
bones
New to the Neighborhood

Post by bones »

Obviously the Capitol District is just getting underway, but does anyone know if there are long term plans to expand the entertainment district? I know they referenced KCs Power & Lights district frequently in regards to this project, and would love to see Omaha grow an entertainment district similar in size, specifically to the North towards the ball park and C'Link.
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

The apartment building really isn't getting any prettier... But can't wait for this to be done!
#gohawks
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

bones wrote:Obviously the Capitol District is just getting underway, but does anyone know if there are long term plans to expand the entertainment district? I know they referenced KCs Power & Lights district frequently in regards to this project, and would love to see Omaha grow an entertainment district similar in size, specifically to the North towards the ball park and C'Link.
If Lot 2 development ever happens, you will likely see a continuation of the "district" feel. Of note, P&L isn't all that huge in of itself.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

It's the way it's laid out that makes it feel big. If they had went will the Nexus option for this project, it would be had a similar feel.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

The construction fence has now been pushed back and the sidewalk ready for pedestrians during the CWS.
bones
New to the Neighborhood

Post by bones »

MadMartin8 wrote:
bones wrote:Obviously the Capitol District is just getting underway, but does anyone know if there are long term plans to expand the entertainment district? I know they referenced KCs Power & Lights district frequently in regards to this project, and would love to see Omaha grow an entertainment district similar in size, specifically to the North towards the ball park and C'Link.
If Lot 2 development ever happens, you will likely see a continuation of the "district" feel. Of note, P&L isn't all that huge in of itself.
P&L isnt huge, but its a good 8 or 9 city blocks... Capitol is sitting at 2 as is. Lot B would be the ideal spot to grow the district, but with the rate development in Omaha seems to go, that will not happen for about a decade (if at all). Would love to see Omaha get something similar to KC Live but I feel that is just a pipe dream of mine. Image
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

bones wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:
P&L isnt huge, but its a good 8 or 9 city blocks... Capitol is sitting at 2 as is. Lot B would be the ideal spot to grow the district, but with the rate development in Omaha seems to go, that will not happen for about a decade (if at all). Would love to see Omaha get something similar to KC Live but I feel that is just a pipe dream of mine.
Keep in mind that Omaha is 1/3rd (ish) the size of K.C, and we need to temper our expectations just a bit. Lot B (whoops, I called it Lot 2 haha) will eventually happen if the starting Capitol District area proves to be a success. Also keep in mind those are HUGE blocks near the CLink. The key is to getting people down there outside of events, so hopefully those apartments in the Capitol District will sell well.
bones
New to the Neighborhood

Post by bones »

MadMartin8 wrote:
bones wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:
P&L isnt huge, but its a good 8 or 9 city blocks... Capitol is sitting at 2 as is. Lot B would be the ideal spot to grow the district, but with the rate development in Omaha seems to go, that will not happen for about a decade (if at all). Would love to see Omaha get something similar to KC Live but I feel that is just a pipe dream of mine.
Keep in mind that Omaha is 1/3rd (ish) the size of K.C, and we need to temper our expectations just a bit. Lot B (whoops, I called it Lot 2 haha) will eventually happen if the starting Capitol District area proves to be a success. Also keep in mind those are HUGE blocks near the CLink. The key is to getting people down there outside of events, so hopefully those apartments in the Capitol District will sell well.
No for sure, I didn't mean to convey that I think that the Capitol district should equal P&L now or any time in the foreseeable future, but I do think that it is a good model to follow. I think KC in general would be a good model for Omaha to follow due to the many shared similarities of the two cities. But I agree, getting people to the area consistently, not just during the CWS and CU games, is the key. Hopefully we will see that develop with the new apartments.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

bones wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:
bones wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:
No for sure, I didn't mean to convey that I think that the Capitol district should equal P&L now or any time in the foreseeable future, but I do think that it is a good model to follow. I think KC in general would be a good model for Omaha to follow due to the many shared similarities of the two cities. But I agree, getting people to the area consistently, not just during the CWS and CU games, is the key. Hopefully we will see that develop with the new apartments.
I couldn't agree more with the commentary here..

Excellent content guys :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

MadMartin8 wrote:
bones wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:
Speaking of Lot B (or maybe it was the ConAgra site), weren't we supposed to see some proposals after this election? This month if I recall?
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Garrett wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:
bones wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:
Speaking of Lot B (or maybe it was the ConAgra site), weren't we supposed to see some proposals after this election? This month if I recall?
Thought that was either conagra or the Rick's Boatyard site?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (45.38 KiB) Viewed 3332 times
Spatial77
Home Owners Association

Post by Spatial77 »

Anybody notice the the lighted letters on the Marriott Hotel sign spell MITT the last few nights? Coincidental with the CWS!
"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." -- Niels Bohr
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

According to this map, 5 bays have already been leased.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (230.54 KiB) Viewed 2861 times
EastCB
Library Board

Post by EastCB »

Whoopie!!!
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Coyote wrote:According to this map, 5 bays have already been leased.
image.jpeg
This is the first time I'm noticing the office component has been replaced
OMA-->CHI-->NYC