Capitol District (NWC 10th & Capitol)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

There's a handful downtown, but I can't think of many that don't include at least one parking garage on the corner.
Stable genius.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

Globochem wrote:Also, as Omaha matures, it will become important to find an area for spontaneous congregation.  Seems odd, but I remember when NU won a national championship in 94 the only, and rather pathetic, place that people could think to spontaneously meet and celebrate was 72nd and Dodge.  It is telling of the absence of a civic core.  The rounded decorative street markings on 10 and Capitol make it seem like someone has been thinking about this issue.  There need to be rally points for people.  Who knows, maybe it will move east after 20 years.

Yes, and let's hope.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Globochem wrote:Ok, then imagine standing at an intersection.  A four corner intersection has a building at each CORNER.  4 Corners, 4 Buildings.  11th and Howard is an example.  Now think of another.
13th and Cuming, 16th and Harney, and 11th and Howard would be the big 3 examples for me.
Fromaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Fromaha »

iamjacobm wrote:Any guesses on the final height of the hotel?  It says it will be 14 stories, any chance it crosses 200 or am I being optimistic?  For reference the old FNB building is 14 floors and 212 feet tall.
I have looked into how height might be determined as well - whilst trying to figure out how tall the Riverfront Towers are. I imagine the Marriot will end up somewhere similar to those buildings - 150'-175'. Kudos to all involved in the selection. The right choice was made this time.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

I'm really excited about this!  It's great to see this kind of major development still going through despite the economy and political uncertainty.  I this is possible now, I have even more enthusiasm of what might happen in a few years when (hopefully) economic conditions are more comfortable.
Globochem
Home Owners Association

Post by Globochem »

The height is a great improvement to the area, whatever it may end up as.  But where the real improvement occurs is that the ENTIRE block is put to use.  And if we are to believe the Shamrock plans, there is infill across 11th and even at the SE corner of 10th and Capitol.  That stretches the impact of this project beyond the single intersection.  It helps connect both to the west and to the south.  One can only hope that the parking lots surrounding the Holland become as financially untenable as they are unsightly!  
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

In a weak attempt to stay on topic.
Globochem wrote:The height is a great improvement to the area, whatever it may end up as.  But where the real improvement occurs is that the ENTIRE block is put to use.  And if we are to believe the Shamrock plans, there is infill across 11th and even at the SE corner of 10th and Capitol.  That stretches the impact of this project beyond the single intersection.  It helps connect both to the west and to the south.  One can only hope that the parking lots surrounding the Holland become as financially untenable as they are unsightly!
I was more just curious about the height.

I do believe this will drive the surrounding properties to develop.  This development adds a ton of people to the area, 280 apartments is HUGE in one project.  That will only make the surrounding area that much more attractive.
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

And that apartment building is pretty short too. 4 stories? About 3 of apartments? Unless there are more in the building across the intersection.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Well which building is the apartment building? The building on the west side of the site (fronting onto 12th St.) has some height to it; *edit, I actually just counted and it looks like 13 stories to me.

But exactly right, Axel. That number of apartments in one project is HUGE. And as I've mentioned, it's in addition to the hundreds of other new apartments that will be on the market in Downtown over the next couple years. All in all, that could equate to a Downtown population increase of 1,000 or more people in the next 2-3 years!
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Well which building is the apartment building? The building on the west side of the site (fronting onto 12th St.) has some height to it; *edit, I actually just counted and it looks like 13 stories to me.

But exactly right, Axel. That number of apartments in one project is HUGE. And as I've mentioned, it's in addition to the hundreds of other new apartments that will be on the market in Downtown over the next couple years. All in all, that could equate to a Downtown population increase of 1,000 or more people in the next 2-3 years!
I believe the apartment building is the L shaped one.

(Bottom right corner)

By the way, wasn't the development required to replace the parking?

Although now that you say it you could be right about the west one being some apartments too, but it's difficult to tell without a detailed/legible layout.
Last edited by Garrett on Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

The parking is under the interstate.  Good use of the space although I am curious to see how much they can fit in there.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

280 here.  200 at the NNG building.  Two separate 50 unit buildings.  A 12 unit one.  That alone is almost 600 apartments that don't yet exist DT that will be opening between 2012 and 2015.  And all of these projects have been announced in the past 6 months :shock:.  In this economy that is pretty much as good as it gets.
Globochem
Home Owners Association

Post by Globochem »

I completely agree.  The impact is enormous.  The next few years can add more than 15% to the downtown population, pushing it ever so close to the magic 10,000 mark.  The Downtown Train just seems to keep gaining momentum!  
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

iamjacobm wrote:280 here.  200 at the NNG building.  Two separate 50 unit buildings.  A 12 unit one.  That alone is almost 600 apartments that don't yet exist DT that will be opening between 2012 and 2015.  And all of these projects have been announced in the past 6 months :shock:.  In this economy that is pretty much as good as it gets.
Right, and plus the recently completed "The Bank" in the Farm Credit Building, Capitol Rows, the Bluestone building at 13th and Cuming, and not to mention all the new UV rehabs in Midtown. Also, did we count the recently announced Bluestone building in Little Italy and the other apartment project on S 10th?

Seriously, it's gotten to be too many to keep track of!!!!!

Someone should create a tally of all new (regardless of new construction or rehab) apartment developments with number of units (and information on bedrooms if available) completed or planned between 2010 and, say, 2014. Then we could estimate, with some accuracy, the approx. population increase when all units are filled.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Globochem
Home Owners Association

Post by Globochem »

I know it doesn't help census figures, but the number of hotel guests definitely helps local commerce.  New hotels mean more butts in seats at restaurants, at least.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

Axel wrote:
StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Well which building is the apartment building? The building on the west side of the site (fronting onto 12th St.) has some height to it; *edit, I actually just counted and it looks like 13 stories to me.

I believe the apartment building is the L shaped one.

(Bottom right corner)

By the way, wasn't the development required to replace the parking?

Although now that you say it you could be right about the west one being some apartments too, but it's difficult to tell without a detailed/legible layout.
Could be that some of the smaller buildings would have upper floor apartments.  The hotel looks to be around 16 stories tall, with 13 or 14 usable for rooms.  Depending on the final footprint, it wouldn't be impossible to include some of the apartments in the hotel building, although i don't see that being a probable scenario.
Go Cubs Go
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

Maybe the shorter one is the building with the 80 affordable apartments and the western tall building is the 200 market rate? That would make the most sense to me.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I have had my hopes soar so many times, only to be dashed when announced projects never get built.  I refuse to become excited over this announcement until after the groundbreaking photos are available for viewing online.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Stable genius.
derog
Home Owners Association

Post by derog »

iamjacobm wrote:Any guesses on the final height of the hotel?  It says it will be 14 stories, any chance it crosses 200 or am I being optimistic?  For reference the old FNB building is 14 floors and 212 feet tall.
The old FNB bilding is 22 stories and 295 feet tall. Or do you mean the OOOOOOOOLLLLLDDD FNB building?
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

My guess is that it will be smaller than the TD Ameritrade building in Old Mill. At 12 stories TD will be 230ft but, as previously stated, it depends on the floor height and commercial is far taller per floor than residential.  My prediction is 165ft.
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

almighty_tuna wrote:My guess is that it will be smaller than the TD Ameritrade building in Old Mill. At 12 stories TD will be 230ft but, as previously stated, it depends on the floor height and commercial is far taller per floor than residential.  My prediction is 165ft.
Well, with it's positioning, I would guess they would want in to be taller. It also has that ornamental part on the top so I would guess 200.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Yeah, but the Hilton looks like it would fare better in a bomb blast.
Globochem
Home Owners Association

Post by Globochem »

I really, really want to see a tower crane over downtown Omaha again...
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Globochem wrote:I really, really want to see a tower crane over downtown Omaha again...
If you miss cranes you could always make the trek down to Lincoln, there is plenty of cranes in downtown :).
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I have a sneaking suspicion that construction wont start until after the swim trials.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

They're paving a parking lot over by the train tracks. Is this because of the lost parking from this project, or something else completely?
city11
New to the Neighborhood

Post by city11 »

Has there been any action at this site at all?
FrontlineOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by FrontlineOmaha »

city11 wrote:Has there been any action at this site at all?
As far as I understand, Shamrock development as been awarded rights to exclusive negotiations with MECA.  

Before this moves forward there are items that will have to go in front of the city council.  I havent seen anything go in front of city council on this yet, and a quick search of the minutes for the past 2 months doesnt reveal anything either.  They are projecting that they can complete the project by 2014, if thats the case, I would estimate that they need to break ground mid to late 2012 at the latest.  It would not surprise me if they waited to break ground until after the CWS and Swim Trials even if they were ready before then.  

With Moylan's Shamrock Development behind this project I am very excited to see this project move forward.
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

Globochem wrote:I really, really want to see a tower crane over downtown Omaha again...
I agree!  Lets get this amazing project going already.
where the corn meets the concrete
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Perspective will make the hotel building look great from the baseball stadium.  May not have a ton of impact from the south, but from the north the skyline will get a great boost.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Does anyone know when they plan to actually break ground on this project?
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

MadMartin8 wrote:Does anyone know when they plan to actually break ground on this project?
I would think sometime later in the summer after the CWS and swim trials, assuming everything is still on track.
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

So I take it, this will not be breaking ground any time soon?

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120620/M ... hotel-boom
Another full-service hotel, a Marriott Hotel, is proposed for 10th Street and Capitol Avenue. City planner Bridget Hadley said the additional 350 rooms in that project, still in early planning stages, would help fulfill the city master plan's goal for convention rooms in the downtown “event district.”
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Roger Dixon was on 1620 this afternoon.  He said they are still working with Shamrock to get this project under way.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

December 2014 seems pretty improbable now though.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Brad wrote:Roger Dixon was on 1620 this afternoon.  He said they are still working with Shamrock to get this project under way.

In 30-60 days?
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

MadMartin8 wrote:
Brad wrote:Roger Dixon was on 1620 this afternoon.  He said they are still working with Shamrock to get this project under way.

In 30-60 days?
....with a river going through it, light rail, Macy's, Nordstroms, IKEA, housing, retail, restaurants, an amphitheater....all with a European vibe.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

NovakOmaha wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:

In 30-60 days?
....with a river going through it, light rail, Macy's, Nordstroms, IKEA, housing, retail, restaurants, an amphitheater....all with a European vibe.

And theme park.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Don't forget, Apple Store.