Capitol District (NWC 10th & Capitol)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Fromaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Fromaha »

Professor Woland wrote:I like the Moylan one the most.  Call me crazy but I don't mind extreme architectural juxtaposition, it makes things more interesting.  A city shouldn't be like your living room, where everything "goes together", part of the excitement of a city is how all sorts of different things (people, cultures, building styles) run into eachother and produce something great.
Touche.
Historic Omaha
Home Owners Association

Nexus is Retro 90s!

Post by Historic Omaha »

The Nexus/Noddle entry looks like the two original multi-story office buildings at One Pacific Place.  Way to go Noddle for giving us retro 90s!  The lighting in the rendering makes Omaha look hot and post-apocalyptic.

The Buckingham proposal is quite sad.  Who does sloppy hand renderings anymore?  It looks like more like suburban "Gallup" or those two hotels on Cuming St. than the type of design that is really needed in downtown Omaha.

Shamrock is the front runner by far....
swgiust
Library Board

Post by swgiust »

I like the Shamrock proposal the best. And I think Mike is the guy that can pull it off.

Having the developer LIVE across the street is huge. Stealing from Omaha's saying
"this will be a well done project, done well... :)   "

The 300 or so hotel rooms is huge for the area. Dj's, Nosh, Spencers will all benefit from
that kind of population. Having the 200 or so apartments makes a coffee shop or bagel place
feasible.

I did not see in any of the proposals how many parking stalls they will build. You have got to be
able to park your hotel guest (1 car per room), your apartment tenants (1.5 cars per apartment),
your restaurant guest (150 on a concert night) so that's a pretty good chunk of parking. 750 or so
underground or garage parking. Then the Century link/Meca need to replace the 600 spaces they
loosing.

Overall this is a great project for Omaha. Who would think, in this economy, that ANYBODY would
want to invest 150+ million dollars in a project like this. Other cities across this country would
kill to have this kind of opportunity.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Personally I like the look of number 3 best, but as someone mentioned, it doesn't fit in with the area too well and doesn't look like it promotes much of an active street life around it.

I'm torn between 1 and 2. Number 2 looks like it'll provide the most most urban feel and be the best use of the land, but Number 1 has nicer, more original architectural elements. But then, I'm not very optimistic about either of the "future" buildings being built in the Number 2 plan so I guess, my vote is for Number 1.

I'm really glad two of those plans include a supplemental building next to Farrel's. I've never liked that dead green space.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

swgiust wrote: I did not see in any of the proposals how many parking stalls they will build. You have got to be
able to park your hotel guest (1 car per room), your apartment tenants (1.5 cars per apartment),
your restaurant guest (150 on a concert night) so that's a pretty good chunk of parking. 750 or so
underground or garage parking. Then the Century link/Meca need to replace the 600 spaces they
loosing.
I pretty much agree, except for the restaurant parking.  There are so many empty garage spaces just a block or two away (yes, I know that fat, lazy Americans might find that a long way to walk) outside of 8-5 M-F, that they shouldn't need spaces for full occupancy.  Besides, if most of the patrons are already downtown for a concert, it would be easier for them to leave their car in the Qwest (whoops, Centurylink) lot and walk (probably closer than their car anyway).

Don't MECA's long-term plans include a parking garage on the north side of the Centurylink Center on what is now a surface lot?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

In terms of the size of the garage I would love to see a 750-1000 stall garage.  I would much rather park my car in the garage at this location then the north end of Lot D for a Creighton or UNO game.  The more parking that they can tuck underneath or right next to the interstate the better off all of the future development will be in north downtown.

MECA was mandating that the 510 stalls must be replaced either in the garage on this lot or in new surface parking in a "reasonable" walking distance of the CenturyLink Center.  Why not get all of it in a garage under/by the interstate rather than paving more of north downtown?
Fromaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Fromaha »

iamjacobm wrote:In terms of the size of the garage I would love to see a 750-1000 stall garage.  I would much rather park my car in the garage at this location then the north end of Lot D for a Creighton or UNO game.  The more parking that they can tuck underneath or right next to the interstate the better off all of the future development will be in north downtown.

MECA was mandating that the 510 stalls must be replaced either in the garage on this lot or in new surface parking in a "reasonable" walking distance of the CenturyLink Center.  Why not get all of it in a garage under/by the interstate rather than paving more of north downtown?
If, for some reason, its not feasible to put more parking under/around the interstate, wouldn't it be possible to put up some tastefully designed parking structure north of the CLC? I can't think of any currently in Omaha that I would emulate, but maybe someone is aware of one in another city that would look more like an actual building from the outside. From my time in Chicago, I recall several garages in the loop that you couldn't tell were garages from the street. Might be an option - though it may also be cost prohibitive. ALTHOUGH, at $6 a car, it seems it could be paid for fairly quickly.
Tornado
Home Owners Association

Post by Tornado »

How can you not be excited about a project like this? :lol: It looks like finally some of these empty lots are going to be filled around downtown. With planned developments on this site and the proposed Hyatt hotel and the new retail/residential building all on 12th st, two major eyesores look soon to be filled. It's hard to really pick a favorite with such vague details and renderings, however if I had to pick at this time I would say my favorite is the Shamrock development. My biggest complaint on the Shamrock design is the fact that the main hotel entrance is on the North side of the building. I would like to see what Shamrock could work out design wise with a South, SE entrance. I'm just having a hard time with the thought of having, what will end up being the cities second most important hotel, having it's main entrance dang close to being directly underneath an elevated freeway. I don't know if they planned this so they could easily connect to the Hilton or what but to me it makes more sense to have a nice open plaza/entrance on the corner of 10th and Capitol. If the Shamrock design would move the hotel tower directly North toward the Freeway it would allow enough room for a nice, pedestrian friendly entrance  area with a nice view of the CenturyLink Center from the corner and views for the businesses across Capitol. They could do this and still keep the hotel street front on 10th. It would also be nice to go a little more vertical within one tower instead of having the hotel be L-shaped with a lot of sq footage hidden in the back. I really think they could get a 15-20 story hotel in that spot that would just look incredible coming west across 480 or South down Abbott or 10th st. Anyway, I'm really looking forward to seeing which project is chosen and watching this site finally get developed.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

I like 1 and 2 but I've got a feeling its going to go the way of WST
Go Cubs Go
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

thenewguy wrote:I like 1 and 2 but I've got a feeling its going to go the way of WST
I don't think so. Since you don't need commitments to build a hotel, you don't have to haggle with banks for loans. And its more or less the same with apartments. And with this place's location, I think it will be easy to get going quickly.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Shamrock is the winner!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

iamjacobm wrote:Shamrock is the winner!
http://www.omaha.com/article/20111117/N ... -developer
Jeffrey Robb WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Shamrock plans to build a 350-room Marriott Hotel, 280 apartments and space for offices and shops, all by December 2014. At a cost of $176 million, the project would be the next big thing in downtown and north downtown’s developmen
Jeffrey Robb WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:In addition to developing the surface parking lots at 10th and Capitol, Shamrock also plans to develop the smaller, empty city-owned property on the intersection’s southeast corner.
There is a more detailed site plan that someone more tech savvy than I will have to get off the OWH story.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote:There is a more detailed site plan that someone more tech savvy than I will have to get off the OWH story.
I am looking for a better one, but here you go:
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

They do not have anythings posted yet on the Shamrock website.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Well this guys excited.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Awesome Renderings!
ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

Notice they also include a building on southeast corner of the intersection.
Not going to complain but thought this would be an great place for a large art/fountain installation.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Great to see these new renderings.  I am very excited to see the construction start there and continue to infill the North Downtown area.  I am also excited that a local company was chosen as the developer, and they have shown that they can produce great results (The Capitol District, Paxton) as well.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

Wow, that looks fantastic.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Superb!!
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Fantastic news!
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

Happy dance!
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

Seems to be basically in line with the masterplan
Go Cubs Go
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

Wow that is amazing.... is the building on the right a garage? And whats with some of the stuff in the background?
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

overall it looks good but what's up with that building in the first rendering that looks like the Kiewit conference center with a grass roof!?!?
Globochem
Home Owners Association

Post by Globochem »

I was speaking with a friend the other day about the rarity of 4 corner intersections in Omaha.  And although I am truly in awe of the scale and ambition of this project, yet again there are no fully filled in 4.  Just an observation, not a complaint.
Globochem
Home Owners Association

Post by Globochem »

Also, as Omaha matures, it will become important to find an area for spontaneous congregation.  Seems odd, but I remember when NU won a national championship in 94 the only, and rather pathetic, place that people could think to spontaneously meet and celebrate was 72nd and Dodge.  It is telling of the absence of a civic core.  The rounded decorative street markings on 10 and Capitol make it seem like someone has been thinking about this issue.  There need to be rally points for people.  Who knows, maybe it will move east after 20 years.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Globochem wrote:Also, as Omaha matures, it will become important to find an area for spontaneous congregation.  Seems odd, but I remember when NU won a national championship in 94 the only, and rather pathetic, place that people could think to spontaneously meet and celebrate was 72nd and Dodge.  It is telling of the absence of a civic core.  The rounded decorative street markings on 10 and Capitol make it seem like someone has been thinking about this issue.  There need to be rally points for people.  Who knows, maybe it will move east after 20 years.
I agree. Nebraska looks like it could be a serious championship contender in '12 and '13, and I'm going to need a nice civic core to flip some cars.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Any guesses on the final height of the hotel?  It says it will be 14 stories, any chance it crosses 200 or am I being optimistic?  For reference the old FNB building is 14 floors and 212 feet tall.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

iamjacobm wrote:Any guesses on the final height of the hotel?  It says it will be 14 stories, any chance it crosses 200 or am I being optimistic?  For reference the old FNB building is 14 floors and 212 feet tall.
Newer, residential/hotel buildings, you can calculate each floor at roughly 10ft. So, no, no chance. I would guess 150-160' with the lobby and top level service/elevator area.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

S33 wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:Any guesses on the final height of the hotel?  It says it will be 14 stories, any chance it crosses 200 or am I being optimistic?  For reference the old FNB building is 14 floors and 212 feet tall.
Newer, residential/hotel buildings, you can calculate each floor at roughly 10ft. So, no, no chance. I would guess 150-160' with the lobby and top level service/elevator area.
Yeah I googled and it said anywhere from 10-16 so it was a pretty wide margin.  Thanks.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

iamjacobm wrote:
S33 wrote:
Yeah I googled and it said anywhere from 10-16 so it was a pretty wide margin.  Thanks.
Who knows. This is what I found in the past...  http://www.ctbuh.org/TallBuildings/Heig ... fault.aspx
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Yeah I saw that one and I saw this PDF from Scottsdale that had this table.  

Table 6
Typical Eight-Story Hotel
Floor Land Use Floor-to-Floor Height Range
1st Hotel = 15  Feet To 20  Feet
2nd Hotel = 12  Feet To 16  Feet
3rd  Hotel = 12  Feet To 16  Feet
4th Hotel = 12  Feet To 16  Feet
5th Hotel = 12  Feet To 16  Feet
6th Hotel = 12  Feet To 16  Feet
7th Hotel = 12  Feet To 16  Feet
8th Hotel = 12  Feet To 16  Feet
Total = 99 Feet To 132 Feet

Who knows really I was just bored this morning and looked around a little bit.
Dark Eyes
Home Owners Association

Post by Dark Eyes »

If I remember correctly, the original concept at Qwest was for a large high-rise hotel (Marriott?).   They ended up building a much smaller Hilton.  

Then there was griping that the Hilton wasn't big enough, so an expansion was started.   And now, a new Marriott will go up just down the street.

Wouldn't it have been better if the big Marriott had been built in the first place?
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Axel wrote:And whats with some of the stuff in the background?
I was wondering that myself. It looks as if some hypothetical buildings are "ghosted" in.

globochem, what do you mean when you say "the rarity of 4 corner intersections in Omaha"?
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Globochem
Home Owners Association

Post by Globochem »

A "4 Corner" would have a building built to the street at each of the 4 corners at an intersection.  No set backs or parking lots or "green spaces".  Rather common in most urban environments.  Conspicuously absent in Omaha.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Globochem wrote:A "4 Corner" would have a building built to the street at each of the 4 corners at an intersection.  No set backs or parking lots or "green spaces".  Rather common in most urban environments.  Conspicuously absent in Omaha.
I do not follow what you are saying at all.
Globochem
Home Owners Association

Post by Globochem »

Ok, then imagine standing at an intersection.  A four corner intersection has a building at each CORNER.  4 Corners, 4 Buildings.  11th and Howard is an example.  Now think of another.