Capitol District (NWC 10th & Capitol)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

Someone did leave a comment that sounded like one of us...
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

I'm surprised this site isn't plugged more often in local comment sections to get some fresh bodies in here.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Axel wrote:Someone did leave a comment that sounded like one of us...
She replied too stating that Nebraska is cold (apparently all year round).
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

MECA gives new fuel to north downtown Omaha development plan
http://www.omaha.com/article/20130207/MONEY/702079973/

OWH wrote:In addition to the 14-story hotel, the project would include nearly 300 apartments, as well as office and retail space. He said the priority — and the biggest reason for the delay in schedule — was landing a hotel operator in a tough economy.

With that out of the way, Moylan expects his team could begin construction by the end of the year. The hotel and some of the other parts of the development would likely be completed within the following two years.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

So this is considered "north downtown"?..
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

MTO wrote:So this is considered "north downtown"?..
I thought they were trying to brand that area "The Capitol District."
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

OmahaJaysCU wrote:
thenewguy wrote:There was a comment at the bottom of the article by some dum bass complaining about not finding a parking spot.  I wanted to leave a comment to dispute her statement, but she wouldn't have gotten the point anyway.
He's not really the new guy anymore is he?
nah, really not.  just don't visit the site much like i used to and don't feel much like putting in the effort to change the name.  then again, when you do, it's hard to keep track of who's whom.
Go Cubs Go
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

The fact that Shamrock has landed a Marriott Hotel is absolutely fantastic news for the capitol district.  That is the anchor this project needed.  I can't wait to see a tower crane going up.
where the corn meets the concrete
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

S33 wrote:I'm surprised this site isn't plugged more often in local comment sections to get some fresh bodies in here.
Someone just needs to figure out how to do this and broadcast an ad for this site as an emergency alert system message on one of the local channels. Maybe during the Emmy awards or something when viewership is high.

http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2013/02 ... rs-zombie/
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

KETV just teased one of their 10 story lines saying "The reason why an Omaha highrise project is having trouble getting off the ground."  I figured this was the only project that could be talking about.
Tornado
Home Owners Association

Post by Tornado »

Come on....it's Wallstreet Tower,  :D  :D
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

ketv... lol
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

http://www.ketv.com/news/local-news/Cit ... index.html

I guess this is probably the wrong place to post that link, but I'm guessing that's what they were talking about?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

ShawJ wrote:http://www.ketv.com/news/local-news/Cit ... index.html

I guess this is probably the wrong place to post that link, but I'm guessing that's what they were talking about?
So it was WST related.  Word is that it will take 60-90 days for the city to secure the building.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Suttle mentioned that this property would be a 4 diamond hotel, the city's 3rd.
omahahawk
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahahawk »

From Mike Kelly column: OWH
More is planned, including a $200 million development across the street from the convention center and arena where the Bluejays play.

Mike Moylan, a Creighton season-ticketholder and president of Shamrock Development, which is coordinating that hotel-apartments-retail project at 10th Street and Capitol Avenue, said financial arrangements are progressing, and groundbreaking should occur in 2014.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130317/N ... for-future
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

I really stopped following this project after it has seemingly run into financial difficulties (regardless of how they word it), but is this rendering still accurate for how the project is to look in completion?

MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

omahahawk wrote:From Mike Kelly column: OWH
More is planned, including a $200 million development across the street from the convention center and arena where the Bluejays play.

Mike Moylan, a Creighton season-ticketholder and president of Shamrock Development, which is coordinating that hotel-apartments-retail project at 10th Street and Capitol Avenue, said financial arrangements are progressing, and groundbreaking should occur in 2014.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130317/N ... for-future

They still haven't finalized the financial stuff?

Oh good grief. We're doomed.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

MadMartin8 wrote:

I hear they're aquiring financing through the art of song and dance.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Yeah this doesn't look good.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

S33 wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:

I hear they're aquiring financing through the art of song and dance.

They're strippers? Looks like the area may be more popular than I thought! :D
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I haven't been able to find a different rendering than that anywhere.  And this timeline sucks, some similarities to WST.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

they still have to build the showroom
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

OWH wrote: Mike Moylan, a Creighton season-ticketholder and president of Shamrock Development, which is coordinating that hotel-apartments-retail project at 10th Street and Capitol Avenue, said financial arrangements are progressing, and groundbreaking should occur in 2014.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Coyote wrote:
OWH wrote: Mike Moylan, a Creighton season-ticketholder and president of Shamrock Development, which is coordinating that hotel-apartments-retail project at 10th Street and Capitol Avenue, said financial arrangements are progressing, and groundbreaking should occur in 2014.
I'll see that and raise you this:
Jeffrey Robb
WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER on April 15th wrote:
The dirt work happening this week at downtown's WallStreet Tower site is not a sign that the long-awaited project is starting.

But the developer said Wednesday that behind-the-scenes work is proceeding.

Jason Townsend, president of developer Townsend Inc., said the project's prospective lender is in the final stages of its “due diligence” in evaluating the project. Townsend said he thinks the high-rise condominium, office and retail development is within 45 days of closing its financing deal, which would lead to construction.

“We believe we're quite literally to the end of the line,” he said.
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

Maybe Shamrocks work on other projects is slowing it down? They have proven themselves in projects before...
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Axel wrote:Maybe Shamrocks work on other projects is slowing it down? They have proven themselves in projects before...
Not on this scale though.
Tornado
Home Owners Association

Post by Tornado »

I love all these optimistic views everyone has. Geez....This is a completely different animal than the Wallstreet Tower project. I think this project has a better than 90% chance of progressing. The key to this develop is the fact that MECA and the city wants and needs that second hotel across the street from the CLC. Everything else in the development might be window dressing but the hotel will be built. If you listen to how the folks from MECA and the city talk about this project I can't see how you can compare it with the Townsend project. It's a whole different vibe with this.
Blade1655
Home Owners Association

Post by Blade1655 »

Very much still a go!  

Some pretty exciting tenants new to the market as well as hotel amenities not seen in Omaha to date.

(yes, calling my shot)
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Blade1655 wrote:Very much still a go!  

Some pretty exciting tenants new to the market as well as hotel amenities not seen in Omaha to date.

(yes, calling my shot)
Do you work for Shamrock or something?
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Slight bit of thread Necromancy,

Anyone want to take bets on whether or not this is complete, or close to it, by the time the Swim Trials return in 2016?
No posts exist for this topic
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

MadMartin8 wrote:Slight bit of thread Necromancy,

Anyone want to take bets on whether or not this is complete, or close to it, by the time the Swim Trials return in 2016?
I'd say within 60-90 days of the trials...
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

NovakOmaha wrote:

I would be a little curious if the city mentioned anything about the hotel here in their bid.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

NovakOmaha wrote:

A certain developer from KC seemed to use those numbers a lot...
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

iamjacobm wrote:
NovakOmaha wrote:

I would be a little curious if the city mentioned anything about the hotel here in their bid.

That's actually what caused my bump. I honestly don't think they did, because they are still unsure it's even going to be built.
No posts exist for this topic
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

It would be nice if someone actively involved in the downtown development market would give us some insight as to why Omaha has such a hard time closing these projects in our current economy, because from everything we are expected to believe, we're back to pre-recession development numbers here locally.

I know you've got to involve these tight-a$$ bankers, but if there's really a market for it...
blueblood
Home Owners Association

Post by blueblood »

Coyote wrote:

Late to the party but what difference does it make that Moylan is a Creighton season ticket holder? Does he like long walks on the beach too?
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

S33 wrote:It would be nice if someone actively involved in the downtown development market would give us some insight as to why Omaha has such a hard time closing these projects in our current economy, because from everything we are expected to believe, we're back to pre-recession development numbers here locally.

I know you've got to involve these tight-a$$ bankers, but if there's really a market for it...
There has been a rebound, but anyone who says we are back to pre recession is either high, or only looking at a small segment of the economy.  I'm sure there are some areas that may even be ahead of 04-05 numbers.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

MadMartin8 wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:
NovakOmaha wrote:

That's actually what caused my bump. I honestly don't think they did, because they are still unsure it's even going to be built.
Well, Suttle did make a comment about Omaha being even more prepared to host in 2016 with the addition a Hyatt and Marriott hotels downtown.  Trouble is that most likely refers to the Marriot Residence Inn already underway.