Capitol District (NWC 10th & Capitol)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

Sampling, drilling or whatever you want to call it took place this week in this parking lot.  If you happen to go by you can see orange cones at sample sites.
I'd say that is a positive development.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

ItsAllAboutMe wrote:Sampling, drilling or whatever you want to call it took place this week in this parking lot.  If you happen to go by you can see orange cones at sample sites.
I'd say that is a positive development.
Anything is good news at this point.  Coming up on a year from the 3 announced proposals now, would love to see this break ground.  Every major announced project(this, Crossroads, both outlet malls, Wallstreet) over the last few years haven't happened yet.  Turning dirt here in 2012 would be awesome!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

It would be really cool to stand between 12th and 13th on Capitol and seeing this development and Gavilon U/C at the same time.  Still hoping this is moving forward soon.
Omahanerd
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Omahanerd »

Can this just happen PLEASE!!!
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Is this is going to die due to lack of funding much like the infamous Wall Street Tower? I have that funny feeling.

I sometimes think there needs to be a requirement about getting funding before even awarding a parcel of land for development. I know it would never work, but just a musing thought.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

MadMartin8 wrote:Is this is going to die due to lack of funding much like the infamous Wall Street Tower? I have that funny feeling.

I sometimes think there needs to be a requirement about getting funding before even awarding a parcel of land for development. I know it would never work, but just a musing thought.
I do think the city has wised up and didn't sell the land yet.  So if it falls through at least they didn't give it away for a buck...
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

David Brown was talking about in on Grow Omaha this past weekend.

Here is what he said:  "He (Shamrock) is making progress.  He is doing everything he can behind the scenes.  Marriott is the name being thrown around."
http://www.kfab.com/player/?station=KFA ... d=22512572
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Brad wrote:David Brown was talking about in on Grow Omaha this past weekend.

Here is what he said:  "He (Shamrock) is making progress.  He is doing everything he can behind the scenes.  Marriott is the name being thrown around."
Comments on Grow Omaha make it sound like there is still a lot of work to do.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

iamjacobm wrote:
Brad wrote:David Brown was talking about in on Grow Omaha this past weekend.

Comments on Grow Omaha make it sound like there is still a lot of work to do.
Or the: "He is doing everything he can" means they are in desperation mode.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Big rumor here.  I heard the apartment tower on the west end is going to be developed by a Denver company and they are looking at making it up to 30 floors.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

that *is* a big rumor!
koberaptor
Home Owners Association

Post by koberaptor »

iamjacobm wrote:Big rumor here.  I heard the apartment tower on the west end is going to be developed by a Denver company and they are looking at making it up to 30 floors.
sounds like the wall street tower
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

iamjacobm wrote:Big rumor here.  I heard the apartment tower on the west end is going to be developed by a Denver company and they are looking at making it up to 30 floors.

with any luck we will see that announcement in 60-90 days.
Go Cubs Go
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

thenewguy wrote:

From that same person the whole development is going to be a collection of developers working on each separate part of the property with Shamrock organizing them all and bringing them together for a common project.

I have no issue with skepticism though.  I am not even betting on anything that scale happening.  I just figured I would share the latest I had heard.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

You forgot to post as a guest.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

NovakOmaha wrote:You forgot to post as a guest.
Haha, really not trolling here.  And I am really not trying to claim it is going to 100% happen either.  Simply what I heard from a person that I have no reason to not believe.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

iamjacobm wrote:
NovakOmaha wrote:You forgot to post as a guest.
Haha, really not trolling here.  And I am really not trying to claim it is going to 100% happen either.  Simply what I heard from a person that I have no reason to not believe.
You have proven to be legit Jacob, everyone trusts ya  :P
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

iamjacobm wrote:
thenewguy wrote:

From that same person the whole development is going to be a collection of developers working on each separate part of the property with Shamrock organizing them all and bringing them together for a common project.

I have no issue with skepticism though.  I am not even betting on anything that scale happening.  I just figured I would share the latest I had heard.

This would be beyond awesome. I hope it comes true!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I have been thinking along the lines of the Marriott branded hotel being connected to this site.  I think it would be awesome and not entirely out of the realm of possibility for it to be JW branded.  Obviously nothing like the new Indy one or the Austin one u/c that both have 1000 rooms.  There are examples of JWs around the proposed 350 rooms at this site.  Atlanta has 360 and Denver has 191.

The one I am really drawing a good comparison on is the one built in Grand Rapids.  It is 329 rooms and is built right near their convention center and obviously sits in a comparable market.
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

I hope you're right but as a former Marriott employee I just don't the JW Marriott brand in Omaha anytime soon. Top of the line Marriott maybe but not JW. but again I hope you're right. That would be a major coup.
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

guy4omaha wrote:I hope you're right but as a former Marriott employee I just don't the JW Marriott brand in Omaha anytime soon. Top of the line Marriott maybe but not JW. but again I hope you're right. That would be a major coup.
Yeah I am just throwing stuff out there with this one.  The only reason for the post was because Grand Rapids has one.  If it were exclusively larger markets I wouldn't of brought it up.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

We were at the Grand Rapids JW in July and were not impressed.  I have been to nicer Holiday Inns.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

One year since Shamrock was picked.  It would be nice to see or hear anything on this property.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

iamjacobm wrote:One year since Shamrock was picked.  It would be nice to see or hear anything on this property.
It's really been that long? It seems like just yesterday...
city11
New to the Neighborhood

Post by city11 »

Has anyone heard anything about this project? Hoping this doesn't go much longer without any word.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

city11 wrote:Has anyone heard anything about this project? Hoping this doesn't go much longer without any word.
In 60-90 days, you should be receiving the project newsletter.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Patience!  Its still a ways off.  We don' need 60-90 day jokes every week.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

[youtube][/youtube]

Its fine.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Brad wrote:Patience!  Its still a ways off.  We don' need 60-90 day jokes every week.

What's the time frame when we can...?  A year and a half with zero news and movement? Two years?

I suspect by year three with zero movement we might want to throw in the towel, and be too tired to make 60-90 day jokes.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

Just from rumblings on this board, it sounds like this project may have changed a bit from the original plans which would naturally cause more of a delay. But, who knows. Maybe we'll just end up with a gas station.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

There is an article in today's Omaha World Herald (well at least online) saying that there is still life to this project. There is still hope!

Here's the story (now that I am on my computer):

MECA gives new fuel to north downtown Omaha development plan

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130207/M ... pment-plan
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

MadMartin8 wrote:MECA gives new fuel to north downtown Omaha development plan

Erin Golden WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote: In addition to the 14-story hotel, the project would include nearly 300 apartments, as well as office and retail space. He said the priority — and the biggest reason for the delay in schedule — was landing a hotel operator in a tough economy.

With that out of the way, Moylan expects his team could begin construction by the end of the year. The hotel and some of the other parts of the development would likely be completed within the following two years.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

What are we thinking, the planning board, city council and TIF are pretty sure bets correct?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

MTO wrote:What are we thinking, the planning board, city council and TIF are pretty sure bets correct?
I sure hope enough leg work has been done over the last year to make all of those more of a formality than anything.
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

Construction by the end of the year though... what's keeping them?
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Ordinance to approve sale of the property in the agenda.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Brad wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:MECA gives new fuel to north downtown Omaha development plan

Erin Golden WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote: In addition to the 14-story hotel, the project would include nearly 300 apartments, as well as office and retail space. He said the priority — and the biggest reason for the delay in schedule — was landing a hotel operator in a tough economy.

With that out of the way, Moylan expects his team could begin construction by the end of the year. The hotel and some of the other parts of the development would likely be completed within the following two years.

Ooops, sorry if I didn't format the link correctly. My bad!
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

There was a comment at the bottom of the article by some dum bass complaining about not finding a parking spot.  I wanted to leave a comment to dispute her statement, but she wouldn't have gotten the point anyway.
Go Cubs Go
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

I'll have my hoverboard by the time this thing takes off.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

thenewguy wrote:There was a comment at the bottom of the article by some dum bass complaining about not finding a parking spot.  I wanted to leave a comment to dispute her statement, but she wouldn't have gotten the point anyway.
He's not really the new guy anymore is he?