Official: Capitol District

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, Omaha Cowboy, Brad, nebugeater

User avatar
Garrett
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1815
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Official: Capitol District

Postby Garrett » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:31 pm

Coyote wrote:According to this map, 5 bays have already been leased.

image.jpeg

This is the first time I'm noticing the office component has been replaced
From Omaha to Chicago
From Axel to Garrett

Still the same guy

User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 20804
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Three floors down
Contact:

Re: Official: Capitol District

Postby Coyote » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:47 pm

Garrett wrote:
Coyote wrote:According to this map, 5 bays have already been leased.

This is the first time I'm noticing the office component has been replaced

This is only a first level map...
Image

User avatar
skinzfan23
County Board
Posts: 5246
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Omaha/Bellevue

Re: Official: Capitol District

Postby skinzfan23 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:02 am

Kinda disappointing that the mixed use space is only 3 stories. Originally it was proposed to be 8.

lmdramos
Library Board
Posts: 301
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:26 pm
Location: Berlin, Germany & London, UK

Re: Official: Capitol District

Postby lmdramos » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:54 am

I noticed a few updated renderings (I think, unless they were posted earlier) of the buildings.

Here is the 2 story retail by the parking garage.
Image

And here is the 3-story mixed use building.
Image

MadMartin8
Planning Board
Posts: 2167
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:48 pm
Location: Beyond Thunderdome

Re: Official: Capitol District

Postby MadMartin8 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:10 am

skinzfan23 wrote:Kinda disappointing that the mixed use space is only 3 stories. Originally it was proposed to be 8.


There was rumor that it was going to be taken out, so I would rather have a sustainably sized 3 stories that will be filled than a 3/4ths empty 8 story, or have an open gap in the lot.

The rendering of the 3 story looks good...the 2 story is....er... Hmm.
No posts exist for this topic

User avatar
skinzfan23
County Board
Posts: 5246
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Omaha/Bellevue

Re: Official: Capitol District

Postby skinzfan23 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:46 am

Thanks for posting those renderings. I agree, the 3 story looks good, but the 2 story building with it metal paneling looks like something from the 80's or 90's.

User avatar
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board
Posts: 2092
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:08 pm
Location: St. Louis

Re: Official: Capitol District

Postby TitosBuritoBarn » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:57 am

Hmm, I guess this looks okay. The previous office buildings looked quite a bit nicer though.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert

MTO
City Council
Posts: 7890
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:49 am
Location: Dundee

Re: Official: Capitol District

Postby MTO » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:05 am

MadMartin8 wrote:
skinzfan23 wrote:Kinda disappointing that the mixed use space is only 3 stories. Originally it was proposed to be 8.


There was rumor that it was going to be taken out, so I would rather have a sustainably sized 3 stories that will be filled than a 3/4ths empty 8 story, or have an open gap in the lot.

The rendering of the 3 story looks good...the 2 story is....er... Hmm.



An extra large entertainment commons would have been far more preferable than these squatty things. City charter amendment; the parking facility should never be taller than the shortest building.
15-17, 26, 32

User avatar
RNcyanide
Planning Board
Posts: 2748
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:37 am
Location: Chalco

Re: Official: Capitol District

Postby RNcyanide » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:00 am

I was hoping for somethi g that would cover that empty east wall on the apartment building. Oh well.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride

buildomaha
Home Owners Association
Posts: 206
Joined: Tue May 31, 2016 7:06 pm

Re: Official: Capitol District

Postby buildomaha » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:21 am

They really do know how to take an opportunity and ruin it by designing visually boring, or plain ugly buildings!

User avatar
skinzfan23
County Board
Posts: 5246
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Omaha/Bellevue

Re: Official: Capitol District

Postby skinzfan23 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:38 am

I love the overall idea and design of the space, but I agree I wish the buildings were more visually appealing. The Marriott looks nice but it even was originally shown to have approx 15 floors with a high peak. Instead we end up with a 12 floor rectangular shaped building.

User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 8936
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Midtown

Re: Official: Capitol District

Postby iamjacobm » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:23 am

MadMartin8 wrote:
skinzfan23 wrote:Kinda disappointing that the mixed use space is only 3 stories. Originally it was proposed to be 8.


There was rumor that it was going to be taken out, so I would rather have a sustainably sized 3 stories that will be filled than a 3/4ths empty 8 story, or have an open gap in the lot.

The rendering of the 3 story looks good...the 2 story is....er... Hmm.


I actually like the 3 story buildings look. Should be a nice replacement for the larger office buildings that could have sat undeveloped for years waiting for a tenant.

Not quite understanding the look of the 2 story retail though. Maybe the rendering isn't doing it justice.

User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 20804
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Three floors down
Contact:

Re: Official: Capitol District

Postby Coyote » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:12 pm

As of today 38 apartment units have been spoken for. Ground level should have a Breakfast joint, a Taco place and a Fitness Center. The first two apartment floors (level 3 and 4) will be ready July 15th. Notice one balcony has plants, which is one of the model units they are showing.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (114.15 KiB) Viewed 1066 times


image.jpeg
image.jpeg (137.4 KiB) Viewed 1066 times


image.jpeg
image.jpeg (56.99 KiB) Viewed 1066 times
Image

User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 20804
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Three floors down
Contact:

Re: Official: Capitol District

Postby Coyote » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:25 pm

The Parking Garage is being used for the CWS ($5.00), the first two levels are open and the East Elevator is functional.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (77 KiB) Viewed 1067 times
Image

User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 20804
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Three floors down
Contact:

Re: Official: Capitol District

Postby Coyote » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:41 pm

The two story retail building is well underway and expected to be open September 15. It will have an Irish Pub, a Country Bar and a bar called the Exchange, a Wall Street themed bar like the one in Des Moines. ("The Exchange operates on a dynamic pricing system. Prices are always fluctuating; the more popular a drink is, the higher its cost. This is how the market works, and that means you need to keep your eyes on the ticker (and on select TVs located throughout the bar). You can choose your drinks strategically based on the money you’re willing to invest in your alcohol portfolio. The market is a fickle mistress, and The Exchange is no exception. Market crashes are guaranteed to occur, so buy up during the periodic crash windows when everything is available for rock bottom pricing.")

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (87.28 KiB) Viewed 1062 times


image.jpeg
image.jpeg (39.75 KiB) Viewed 1062 times
Image

User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 20804
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Three floors down
Contact:

Re: Official: Capitol District

Postby Coyote » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:58 pm

One last tidbit... The three story mixed use building will break ground next Spring.
Image

User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 20804
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Three floors down
Contact:

Re: Official: Capitol District

Postby Coyote » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:03 pm

One last, last tidbit... There will not be a Jumbotron on any walls, but they may bring one in for occasions. The courtyard will not have Greenspace but lots of tables and umbrellas.
Image

User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 6278
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Official: Capitol District

Postby Omaha Cowboy » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:17 am

Great photos!..

Since there is, I believe, no CWS game today.. I think I'll take a drive around the area to check it out in person. I've been trying to keep up in doing this at least 1 or 2 times a month, but life keeps getting in the way...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!

MadMartin8
Planning Board
Posts: 2167
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:48 pm
Location: Beyond Thunderdome

Re: Official: Capitol District

Postby MadMartin8 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:15 pm

Thanks for the photos...and information Coyote!

Interesting that they won't go with a permanent screen, but I suppose it is understandable.
No posts exist for this topic

Greg S
County Board
Posts: 3647
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am

Re: Official: Capitol District

Postby Greg S » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:15 pm

Coyote wrote:One last, last tidbit... There will not be a Jumbotron on any walls, but they may bring one in for occasions. The courtyard will not have Greenspace but lots of tables and umbrellas.


I can't believe they are not going to have a Jumbotron. Incredibly short sighted. I am thinking about all the events I have been to at Power and Light and the Railyard where they have been used. My enthusiasm for the district just plummeted.

Greg

MTO
City Council
Posts: 7890
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:49 am
Location: Dundee

Re: Official: Capitol District

Postby MTO » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:00 pm

Well there can always be a retrofit but thankfully there are more entertainment districts coming maybe they’ll have them.
15-17, 26, 32

Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations
Posts: 522
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:16 pm

Re: Official: Capitol District

Postby Omaha_corn_burner » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:17 am

MadMartin8 wrote:Thanks for the photos...and information Coyote!

Interesting that they won't go with a permanent screen, but I suppose it is understandable.


Why is it understandable? I thought it was one of the main selling points.

User avatar
skinzfan23
County Board
Posts: 5246
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Omaha/Bellevue

Re: Official: Capitol District

Postby skinzfan23 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:01 am

Overall, I still love this development for replacing what was there, but that is a pretty big disappointment to not have a video screen.

MadMartin8
Planning Board
Posts: 2167
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:48 pm
Location: Beyond Thunderdome

Re: Official: Capitol District

Postby MadMartin8 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:16 am

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:Thanks for the photos...and information Coyote!

Interesting that they won't go with a permanent screen, but I suppose it is understandable.


Why is it understandable? I thought it was one of the main selling points.


Because they have been scaling back since day one due to costs and demand. They will likely have screens for events, and it wouldn't surprise me if they eventually went with one later on. To me, guess it is not a big deal...a bummer, sure, but when I go out of my house I don't need to be tied to a TV screen wherever I go.
No posts exist for this topic

User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 8936
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Midtown

Re: Official: Capitol District

Postby iamjacobm » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:20 am

I guess I don't see much of a need for a permanent one and I am not sure that they ever really committed to one either.

Bring in a screen for a few Husker games, the NCAA tourney when its in town the Swim Trials and the CWS. The rest of the time they wont need it at all. Not like we have a pro team to watch all year, if anything a permanent one would just be a flashing billboard 90% of the time...
Last edited by iamjacobm on Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 20804
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Three floors down
Contact:

Re: Official: Capitol District

Postby Coyote » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:20 am

Did they ever really announce a big screen, or has that all along been conjectured?
Image

User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 6278
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Official: Capitol District

Postby Omaha Cowboy » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:32 pm

I don't know that a big screen was ever written in as part of the District either.. Although I've seen at least one rendering on their web site showing one..

No mention of it as a permanent fixture of the development.. Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!

User avatar
nebugeater
County Board
Posts: 6149
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: Official: Capitol District

Postby nebugeater » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:08 pm

iamjacobm wrote:I guess I don't see much of a need for a permanent one and I am not sure that they ever really committed to one either.

Bring in a screen for a few Husker games, the NCAA tourney when its in town the Swim Trials and the CWS. The rest of the time they wont need it at all. Not like we have a pro team to watch all year, if anything a permanent one would just be a flashing billboard 90% of the time...



Sounds like trying to rationalize a decision for one not existing. The one in Lincoln at the rail yard gets used a LOT and not as a flashing billboard. My speculation is that if there is not one there permanently then it will be very rare that one gets brought in.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!

Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations
Posts: 522
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:16 pm

Re: Official: Capitol District

Postby Omaha_corn_burner » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:20 pm

nebugeater wrote:The one in Lincoln at the rail yard gets used a LOT and not as a flashing billboard. My speculation is that if there is not one there permanently then it will be very rare that one gets brought in.

Exactly. It's as if nobody in this thread has been there before.

User avatar
nebugeater
County Board
Posts: 6149
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: Official: Capitol District

Postby nebugeater » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:26 pm

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
nebugeater wrote:The one in Lincoln at the rail yard gets used a LOT and not as a flashing billboard. My speculation is that if there is not one there permanently then it will be very rare that one gets brought in.

Exactly. It's as if nobody in this thread has been there before.


As I think about it I do not know that I have ever seen the Rail yard board used as a billboard.....
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!

User avatar
GetUrban
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1867
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:07 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: Official: Capitol District

Postby GetUrban » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:38 pm

nebugeater wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:I guess I don't see much of a need for a permanent one and I am not sure that they ever really committed to one either.

Bring in a screen for a few Husker games, the NCAA tourney when its in town the Swim Trials and the CWS. The rest of the time they wont need it at all. Not like we have a pro team to watch all year, if anything a permanent one would just be a flashing billboard 90% of the time...



Sounds like trying to rationalize a decision for one not existing. The one in Lincoln at the rail yard gets used a LOT and not as a flashing billboard. My speculation is that if there is not one there permanently then it will be very rare that one gets brought in.


Yeah, it's probably not quite as easy to set one up for occasional use as one might think. It could be used to show movies too, and feeds from other local events.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.

Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations
Posts: 522
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:16 pm

Re: Official: Capitol District

Postby Omaha_corn_burner » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:55 pm

GetUrban wrote:It could be used to show movies too, and feeds from other local events.

Movies? No.
This is THE premiere development in Omaha right now. (Aksarben might try to argue that though)

User avatar
nebugeater
County Board
Posts: 6149
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: Official: Capitol District

Postby nebugeater » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:39 pm

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
GetUrban wrote:It could be used to show movies too, and feeds from other local events.

Movies? No.
This is THE premiere development in Omaha right now. (Aksarben might try to argue that though)


Movies... Why not. It can be something that draws in a different demographic for a few times a year
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!

MadMartin8
Planning Board
Posts: 2167
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:48 pm
Location: Beyond Thunderdome

Re: Official: Capitol District

Postby MadMartin8 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:39 pm

Outside of Husker games/sporting events, and other large events, what is usually shown on the screen in Lincoln? I don't go down there enough to be able to say, so I am just wondering. And don't they roll out a temporary screen at each Husker Football game near the track for the fan area? Or is that there permanently?

Exactly. It's as if nobody in this thread has been there before.


Or, or...we just don't think the whole development is a bust because people can't watch a giant TV. :shrug:
No posts exist for this topic

User avatar
nebugeater
County Board
Posts: 6149
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: Official: Capitol District

Postby nebugeater » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:41 pm

MadMartin8 wrote:Outside of Husker games/sporting events, and other large events, what is usually shown on the screen in Lincoln? I don't go down there enough to be able to say, so I am just wondering. And don't they roll out a temporary screen at each Husker Football game near the track for the fan area? Or is that there permanently?

Exactly. It's as if nobody in this thread has been there before.


Or, or...we just don't think the whole development is a bust because people can't watch a giant TV. :shrug:


Who says it a bust? Just missing another piece that can make it even better.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!

MadMartin8
Planning Board
Posts: 2167
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:48 pm
Location: Beyond Thunderdome

Re: Official: Capitol District

Postby MadMartin8 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:45 pm

nebugeater wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:Outside of Husker games/sporting events, and other large events, what is usually shown on the screen in Lincoln? I don't go down there enough to be able to say, so I am just wondering. And don't they roll out a temporary screen at each Husker Football game near the track for the fan area? Or is that there permanently?

Exactly. It's as if nobody in this thread has been there before.


Or, or...we just don't think the whole development is a bust because people can't watch a giant TV. :shrug:


Who says it a bust? Just missing another piece that can make it even better.



The reactions of some here point to us being so incredibly disappointed that there isn't a screen; "my enthusiasm plummeted", for example. Yes, it's the cherry on top of the cake, but the cake is still going to be pretty good I think, which is why I'm not too worried and thus am not complaining much.

Edit: Although a screen would have worked pretty well on the ginormous blank wall on the southeast side of the Apartments. Oh well.
No posts exist for this topic

Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations
Posts: 522
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:16 pm

Re: Official: Capitol District

Postby Omaha_corn_burner » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:47 pm

MadMartin8 wrote:Or, or...we just don't think the whole development is a bust because people can't watch a giant TV. :shrug:

It's not a bust, but I can answer your statement with a quote from yourself.
MadMartin8 wrote:Because they have been scaling back since day one due to costs and demand.

It's just disappointment from scale backs.

MadMartin8
Planning Board
Posts: 2167
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:48 pm
Location: Beyond Thunderdome

Re: Official: Capitol District

Postby MadMartin8 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:49 pm

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:Or, or...we just don't think the whole development is a bust because people can't watch a giant TV. :shrug:

It's not a bust, but I can answer your statement with a quote from yourself.
MadMartin8 wrote:Because they have been scaling back since day one due to costs and demand.

It's just disappointment from scale backs.


Understandable. That said, considering the market and the trouble it was even to get this thing started, I'm still jazzed for the final product. Then again, I'm easy to please.
No posts exist for this topic

User avatar
nebugeater
County Board
Posts: 6149
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: Official: Capitol District

Postby nebugeater » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:51 pm

Lets just hope it's Pre-wired !!!!
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!

Greg S
County Board
Posts: 3647
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am

Re: Official: Capitol District

Postby Greg S » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:13 pm

nebugeater wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:I guess I don't see much of a need for a permanent one and I am not sure that they ever really committed to one either.

Bring in a screen for a few Husker games, the NCAA tourney when its in town the Swim Trials and the CWS. The rest of the time they wont need it at all. Not like we have a pro team to watch all year, if anything a permanent one would just be a flashing billboard 90% of the time...



Sounds like trying to rationalize a decision for one not existing. The one in Lincoln at the rail yard gets used a LOT and not as a flashing billboard. My speculation is that if there is not one there permanently then it will be very rare that one gets brought in.


There are all kinds of events this could be used for. Obviously you'd have it going going for the CWS, Swim trials, Husker games (all day on Saturdays), the Olympics, World Cup, NBA finals, NHL finals, etc.

Greg


Return to “Urban Omaha Development”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests