Capitol District (NWC 10th & Capitol)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Admin
Law Enforcement

Post by Admin »

Official: Shamrock Development (10th and Capitol)

Shamrock Development Inc.
Hotel rooms: 350
Hotel operator: Marriott Hotels & Resorts
Apartments: 200 market rate units, 80 affordable units
Office/residential space: 140,000 square feet
Entertainment/retail space: 61,300 square feet
Cost: $176 million
Anticipated completion: December 2014

WEB CAM:
http://www.workzonecam.com/projects/sha ... orkzonecam
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

This was a news story on KETV last night. Nothing really new from what we already know...

MECA Plans More Development Near CenturyLink Center

Hotel, Office Space, Restaurants In Master Plan
OMAHA, Neb. -- A parking lot just southwest of the CenturyLink Center could one day be home to a brand new hotel, among other things.
The Metropolitan Entertainment and Convention Authority gave KETV Newswatch 7 the detailed request for proposals for the lot between 10th and 12th streets, just south of downtown Omaha's biggest hotel, the Hilton.
As more events take place in the area, MECA said it is moving forward with its master plan. That plan includes hundreds of new hotel rooms, office space and many more restaurants and shops
Read more: http://www.ketv.com/news/29100236/detai ... z1XH8v7HJv
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Nice to see MECA being aggressive in developing this.

A few thoughts...

They should shoot for at least 400 rooms in the new hotel. That would give Qwest... err.. Centurylink 1000 rooms. 1000 rooms sounds like much more than 950, even if it isn't. Its likely a magic number for landing conventions of size.

I'd love to see the lot east of Park 8 tied in as suggested. Really go after making Capital the entertainment district. I'd like to see a 12+ screen theater, a comedy club, a bowling alley, etc in this project.

Then build the 11th street ped bridge across GLM to connect the OM and the Cap District.
swgiust
Library Board

Post by swgiust »

I second a bridge on 11th across the lake.
swgiust
Library Board

Post by swgiust »

Heard through the grapevine that this hotel will be a Hyatt and they are not going to build by
13th & howard
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

swgiust wrote:Heard through the grapevine that this hotel will be a Hyatt and they are not going to build by
13th & howard
That seems strange since they are requesting a hotel with a minimum with at least 350 rooms.  The Hyatt was proposed for 155 which is significantly less.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Also the fact that there are likely multiple developers vying to win the RFP...Hyatt is probably not the hotel on some of them...
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Maybe the OM hotel will be a Hyatt Place and the one at 10th and Cap will be a full on Hyatt or Hyatt Regency. One can hope right? :cheers:
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

the1wags wrote:Maybe the OM hotel will be a Hyatt Place and the one at 10th and Cap will be a full on Hyatt or Hyatt Regency. One can hope right? :cheers:
One like the Denver one?  :)
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Axel wrote:
the1wags wrote:Maybe the OM hotel will be a Hyatt Place and the one at 10th and Cap will be a full on Hyatt or Hyatt Regency. One can hope right? :cheers:
I think a 1,100 room hotel may be a little much.   :thumb:
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

iamjacobm wrote:
Axel wrote:
I think a 1,100 room hotel may be a little much.   :thumb:
Never.  :lol:
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
2Adam29
Home Owners Association

Post by 2Adam29 »

http://www.omaha.com/article/20111028/N ... ntown-site

anyone else drooling a bit here?

Proposal 1: Shamrock

Proposal 2: Buckingham

Proposal 3: Nexus

Globochem
Home Owners Association

Post by Globochem »

It seems hard to believe that we could lose here.  Unless nothing gets developed, this is a truly landmark turn of events for downtown!
ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

I vote for the first one.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I vote for the first one as well, however the second design may be better for pedestrian friendliness.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I like 2 the best, but #3 may be better for Pedestrian access to the Century Link Center with that diagonal path point at the arena.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

I like the layout of #2's the best, but #3 is the best design.
HollywoodOmaha
New to the Neighborhood

Post by HollywoodOmaha »

Design #2 seems to be the one that will fit in best with other buildings around it, plus seems very pedestrian friendly.

Design #1 would be my next favorite and Design #3 would be last.  Design #3 reminds me of the design for the new Apple campus in California and doesn't seem to fit that spot.

I wish one of these designs would've been able to incorporate the purposed Marriott hotel design where the Hilton eventually was built (thanks Fahey  :roll: )
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

I like design 1 and 2 about the same, but design 1 has a leg up because of it's size, but I really dislike design 3. It's architecture is just a bit too.... blegh for me. But just the same, I will be thrilled if any of them get built. Oh, and here are the stats from Omaha.com.
The proposals (1)
Shamrock Development Inc.
Hotel operator: Marriott Hotels & Resorts
Apartments: 200 market rate units, 80 affordable units
Office/residential space: 140,000 square feet
Entertainment/retail space: 61,300 square feet
Cost: $176 million
Anticipated completion: December 2014

Buckingham Cos. (2)
Hotel rooms: 250 (plus 150 for extended stay)
Hotel operator: Dolce Hotels and Resorts
Apartments: 231
Office space: 20,100 square feet
Entertainment/retail space: 41,406 square feet
Cost: $148 million
Anticipated completion: May 2014

Nexus team (Noddle Cos.) (3)
Hotel operator: not yet selected
Apartments: 100
Office space: 122,200 square feet
Entertainment/retail space: 84,200 square feet
Cost: $168.5 million
Anticipated completion: December 2016

Previous development experience
Buckingham Cos. of Indianapolis is developing the mixed-use CityWay in downtown Indianapolis. It also has developed mixed-use projects in Columbus, Ohio; Lexington, Ky.; and South Bend, Ind., near the University of Notre Dame.

Shamrock Development developed the Paxton at 14th and Farnam Streets, buildings along 10th Street between Dodge and Capitol that house restaurants and lounges, and the Papillion Professional Park at 72nd and Halleck Streets.

Noddle Cos. has had its hand in numerous Omaha projects, including Aksarben Village, the Gallup University riverfront campus, the First National Business Park at 144th Street and West Dodge Road and the Harvey Oaks Plaza, 144th Street and West Center Road.

Sources: Jay Noddle of Noddle Cos.; Mike Moylan of Shamrock Development and http://www.buckingham-co.com
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Where's the Taco Bell?
Stable genius.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

The height obsessed vote for #2
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Stargazer wrote:The height obsessed vote for #2
I would think that the height obsessed would vote for 1, it's layout it the largest and it has 4 towers.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

I like the looks of 3, myself, but whats with the 2 year delayed date for construction completion? Maybe Noddle already has their hands full with other projects like the old Ironwood golf course.

Edit: oops, forgot noddle wasn't part of that.
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

#1 Shamrock

Likes - Design, completion date, hotel brand, parking tucked under the bridge

Dislikes - Based on the bio, there's no "major" development experience compared to the other two other than remodels

#2  Buckingham

Likes - various building heights, seems "green", pedestrian friendly, more hotel rooms, completion date

Dislikes -  Not a well known hotel chain, less office/retail/entertainment space

#3 Nexus

Likes - Design, amount of entertainment space

Dislikes - No hotel brand selected yet, not many apartments, mostly office space, Although i like the design I dont see it fit for the Omaha DT area
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Omaha_Gabe wrote:

#3 Nexus

Dislikes - No hotel brand selected yet, not many apartments, mostly office space, Although i like the design I dont see it fit for the Omaha DT area
And about 1/3 of the proposal is reserved for "future" use.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

#2 is my favorite because it feels like the most "complete" one. Although, that could be because it's the only rendering that shows the project in entirety. I also think it would add the most density.
Last edited by ShawJ on Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I love how different all the proposals are.

I don't like Shamrock's layout very much.  I think they showed their inexperience with projects like this.

Look at how the other two projects curve and have a flow, Shamrocks have those right angles that turn me off to it.

Buckingham's looks really amazing.  Their completion date is the best too, done May 2014 would be amazing.  I wish they committed to the other two towers above the parking though, I hate when they say future phases it takes so long to get done.

Nexus would be unique to say the least.  I am almost leaning there just to have something different in Omaha, something people would remember and say wow look at that.  The two year delay is the major downside there.  This one would include a gym and spot for a grocery store as well.  

I wont complain if any of these get built.  Right now I am liking 2,1,3 though.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Buckingham's includes another building by Farell's!!  Ok I am for sure on number 2.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Regardless, I doubt any of the final products would look anything like the rendering. I remember in '98 (I think), when the OWH featured an article with a rendering of the FNB tower, and it looked nothing like the finished product.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

Regardless, a classic win-win-win situation in my opinion.

http://www.nbc.com/the-office/video/con ... ion/116196
mrdwhsr
Library Board

Post by mrdwhsr »

I vote for Shamrock's proposal. There are enough curves with the river, pedestrian bridge, I-480 and Century Link. I'd like to feel like I'm downtown when I'm downtown. Give me some straight lines. There are enough curves in the suburbs to feel like you're walking around in circles (heretic that I am - suburbanites must always drive everywhere :;):).
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I thought that the city was wanting an enclosed walkway between the new hotel and the Hilton, but it doesn't appear that any of these designs show that incorporated.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I would think that the height obsessed would vote for 1, it's layout it the largest and it has 4 towers.
Two 'future' buildings.

Eh, I'll take any of these proposals.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

Stargazer wrote:
Two 'future' buildings.

It looks like the three layouts at the bottom are not consistent with the ones up top. The first layout is actually the second rendering shown, and the second layout is the first rendering shown. So #2 is the one with the future buildings rather than #1.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

It's interesting to see how all over the board everyone is on their likes and dislikes.  Is there a clear consensus?  Let's add a poll!

A couple thoughts...

I don't see anyone evaluating the proposals based on their stats:

Number of hotel rooms
Shamrock: 350
Buckingham: 250 (plus 100 extended stay rooms)
Nexus: 350

Apartments
Shamrock: 200(market rate) 80(affordable)
Buckingham: 231
Nexus: 100

Office Space
Shamrock: Office/residential space: 140,000 square feet
Buckingham: 20,100 square feet
Nexus: 122,200 square feet

Entertainment/Retail space
Shamrock: 61,300 square feet
Buckingham: 41,406 square feet
Nexus: 84,200 square feet

As for the designs, we're evaluating these proposal with limited renderings.  I agree Buckingham has a nice layout from above, but statistically speaking it should be in last place.  It would be nice to see rendering of Shamrock from an angle that showed more than just the hotel.  The Nexus design is inspired for sure, but from post-modern art deco Miami?

At this point I'd have to give the early advantage to Shamrock:

1. 350 room Marriott
2. 280 Apartments
3. Projected completion date
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Stargazer wrote:
Two 'future' buildings.

Ok, to make it clear, when saying number 1, I thought it was shamrock. Sooo..... Shamrock is my favorite.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

The Shamrock looks to be my favorite at first glance, but like others, I'd be excited to see any of them actually built.  I'd guess that's the first criteria the city will be using when evaluating their proposals too.
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

Given Shamrock's successful projects downtown so far, I definitely am rooting of that proposal to be accepted!  Plus, with his investment to date, in the Capitol District, he has a vested interest is seeing this project become reality.
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
Fromaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Fromaha »

Stargazer wrote:
Two 'future' buildings.

As an admittedly height obsessed person, my vote is for the Shamrock proposal. From the limited view in the rendering, the architecture also seems to 'fit' Omaha the best, as Moylan says in the WH article.

The 'future' buildings in the Buckingham proposal makes me nervous. Call it a Wall Street Tower hangover.

The Nexus architecture looks like a future moon settlement. A bit strange IMO. With all that said, like most others, any of these would be great, versus the current parking lot.

I just hope the city does a MUCH better job of looking at these proposals and the companies to make sure that we don't get another stalled or lackluster project.

In response to Adam's original question...yes, I am drooling over this. I can't wait to be down there for a concert, UNO or Jays game. Will be sweet!
Professor Woland
Library Board

Post by Professor Woland »

I like the Moylan one the most.  Call me crazy but I don't mind extreme architectural juxtaposition, it makes things more interesting.  A city shouldn't be like your living room, where everything "goes together", part of the excitement of a city is how all sorts of different things (people, cultures, building styles) run into eachother and produce something great.