Capitol District (NWC 10th & Capitol)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Re: Official: Capitol District

Post by Coyote »

Garrett wrote:
Coyote wrote:According to this map, 5 bays have already been leased.
This is the first time I'm noticing the office component has been replaced
This is only a first level map...
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Kinda disappointing that the mixed use space is only 3 stories. Originally it was proposed to be 8.
lmdramos
Library Board

Post by lmdramos »

I noticed a few updated renderings (I think, unless they were posted earlier) of the buildings.

Here is the 2 story retail by the parking garage.

And here is the 3-story mixed use building.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

skinzfan23 wrote:Kinda disappointing that the mixed use space is only 3 stories. Originally it was proposed to be 8.
There was rumor that it was going to be taken out, so I would rather have a sustainably sized 3 stories that will be filled than a 3/4ths empty 8 story, or have an open gap in the lot.

The rendering of the 3 story looks good...the 2 story is....er... Hmm.
No posts exist for this topic
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Thanks for posting those renderings. I agree, the 3 story looks good, but the 2 story building with it metal paneling looks like something from the 80's or 90's.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Hmm, I guess this looks okay. The previous office buildings looked quite a bit nicer though.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

MadMartin8 wrote:
skinzfan23 wrote:Kinda disappointing that the mixed use space is only 3 stories. Originally it was proposed to be 8.
There was rumor that it was going to be taken out, so I would rather have a sustainably sized 3 stories that will be filled than a 3/4ths empty 8 story, or have an open gap in the lot.

An extra large entertainment commons would have been far more preferable than these squatty things. City charter amendment; the parking facility should never be taller than the shortest building.
15-17, 26, 32
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

I was hoping for somethi g that would cover that empty east wall on the apartment building. Oh well.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

They really do know how to take an opportunity and ruin it by designing visually boring, or plain ugly buildings!
#gohawks
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I love the overall idea and design of the space, but I agree I wish the buildings were more visually appealing. The Marriott looks nice but it even was originally shown to have approx 15 floors with a high peak. Instead we end up with a 12 floor rectangular shaped building.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

MadMartin8 wrote:

I actually like the 3 story buildings look. Should be a nice replacement for the larger office buildings that could have sat undeveloped for years waiting for a tenant.

Not quite understanding the look of the 2 story retail though. Maybe the rendering isn't doing it justice.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

As of today 38 apartment units have been spoken for. Ground level should have a Breakfast joint, a Taco place and a Fitness Center. The first two apartment floors (level 3 and 4) will be ready July 15th. Notice one balcony has plants, which is one of the model units they are showing.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (114.15 KiB) Viewed 2553 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (137.4 KiB) Viewed 2553 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (56.99 KiB) Viewed 2553 times
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

The Parking Garage is being used for the CWS ($5.00), the first two levels are open and the East Elevator is functional.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (77 KiB) Viewed 2554 times
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

The two story retail building is well underway and expected to be open September 15. It will have an Irish Pub, a Country Bar and a bar called the Exchange, a Wall Street themed bar like the one in Des Moines. ("The Exchange operates on a dynamic pricing system. Prices are always fluctuating; the more popular a drink is, the higher its cost. This is how the market works, and that means you need to keep your eyes on the ticker (and on select TVs located throughout the bar). You can choose your drinks strategically based on the money you’re willing to invest in your alcohol portfolio. The market is a fickle mistress, and The Exchange is no exception. Market crashes are guaranteed to occur, so buy up during the periodic crash windows when everything is available for rock bottom pricing.")
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (87.28 KiB) Viewed 2549 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (39.75 KiB) Viewed 2549 times
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

One last tidbit... The three story mixed use building will break ground next Spring.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

One last, last tidbit... There will not be a Jumbotron on any walls, but they may bring one in for occasions. The courtyard will not have Greenspace but lots of tables and umbrellas.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Great photos!..

Since there is, I believe, no CWS game today.. I think I'll take a drive around the area to check it out in person. I've been trying to keep up in doing this at least 1 or 2 times a month, but life keeps getting in the way...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Thanks for the photos...and information Coyote!

Interesting that they won't go with a permanent screen, but I suppose it is understandable.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Coyote wrote:One last, last tidbit... There will not be a Jumbotron on any walls, but they may bring one in for occasions. The courtyard will not have Greenspace but lots of tables and umbrellas.
I can't believe they are not going to have a Jumbotron. Incredibly short sighted. I am thinking about all the events I have been to at Power and Light and the Railyard where they have been used. My enthusiasm for the district just plummeted.

Greg
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Well there can always be a retrofit but thankfully there are more entertainment districts coming maybe they’ll have them.
15-17, 26, 32
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

MadMartin8 wrote:Thanks for the photos...and information Coyote!

Interesting that they won't go with a permanent screen, but I suppose it is understandable.
Why is it understandable? I thought it was one of the main selling points.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Overall, I still love this development for replacing what was there, but that is a pretty big disappointment to not have a video screen.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:Thanks for the photos...and information Coyote!

Why is it understandable? I thought it was one of the main selling points.
Because they have been scaling back since day one due to costs and demand. They will likely have screens for events, and it wouldn't surprise me if they eventually went with one later on. To me, guess it is not a big deal...a bummer, sure, but when I go out of my house I don't need to be tied to a TV screen wherever I go.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I guess I don't see much of a need for a permanent one and I am not sure that they ever really committed to one either.

Bring in a screen for a few Husker games, the NCAA tourney when its in town the Swim Trials and the CWS. The rest of the time they wont need it at all. Not like we have a pro team to watch all year, if anything a permanent one would just be a flashing billboard 90% of the time...
Last edited by iamjacobm on Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Did they ever really announce a big screen, or has that all along been conjectured?
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I don't know that a big screen was ever written in as part of the District either.. Although I've seen at least one rendering on their web site showing one..

No mention of it as a permanent fixture of the development.. Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

iamjacobm wrote:I guess I don't see much of a need for a permanent one and I am not sure that they ever really committed to one either.

Bring in a screen for a few Husker games, the NCAA tourney when its in town the Swim Trials and the CWS. The rest of the time they wont need it at all. Not like we have a pro team to watch all year, if anything a permanent one would just be a flashing billboard 90% of the time...

Sounds like trying to rationalize a decision for one not existing. The one in Lincoln at the rail yard gets used a LOT and not as a flashing billboard. My speculation is that if there is not one there permanently then it will be very rare that one gets brought in.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

nebugeater wrote:The one in Lincoln at the rail yard gets used a LOT and not as a flashing billboard. My speculation is that if there is not one there permanently then it will be very rare that one gets brought in.
Exactly. It's as if nobody in this thread has been there before.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
nebugeater wrote:The one in Lincoln at the rail yard gets used a LOT and not as a flashing billboard. My speculation is that if there is not one there permanently then it will be very rare that one gets brought in.
As I think about it I do not know that I have ever seen the Rail yard board used as a billboard.....
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

nebugeater wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:I guess I don't see much of a need for a permanent one and I am not sure that they ever really committed to one either.

Sounds like trying to rationalize a decision for one not existing. The one in Lincoln at the rail yard gets used a LOT and not as a flashing billboard. My speculation is that if there is not one there permanently then it will be very rare that one gets brought in.
Yeah, it's probably not quite as easy to set one up for occasional use as one might think. It could be used to show movies too, and feeds from other local events.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

GetUrban wrote:It could be used to show movies too, and feeds from other local events.
Movies? No.
This is THE premiere development in Omaha right now. (Aksarben might try to argue that though)
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
GetUrban wrote:It could be used to show movies too, and feeds from other local events.
Movies? No.
This is THE premiere development in Omaha right now. (Aksarben might try to argue that though)
Movies... Why not. It can be something that draws in a different demographic for a few times a year
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Outside of Husker games/sporting events, and other large events, what is usually shown on the screen in Lincoln? I don't go down there enough to be able to say, so I am just wondering. And don't they roll out a temporary screen at each Husker Football game near the track for the fan area? Or is that there permanently?
Or, or...we just don't think the whole development is a bust because people can't watch a giant TV. :shrug:
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

MadMartin8 wrote:Outside of Husker games/sporting events, and other large events, what is usually shown on the screen in Lincoln? I don't go down there enough to be able to say, so I am just wondering. And don't they roll out a temporary screen at each Husker Football game near the track for the fan area? Or is that there permanently?
Or, or...we just don't think the whole development is a bust because people can't watch a giant TV. :shrug:
Who says it a bust? Just missing another piece that can make it even better.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

nebugeater wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:Outside of Husker games/sporting events, and other large events, what is usually shown on the screen in Lincoln? I don't go down there enough to be able to say, so I am just wondering. And don't they roll out a temporary screen at each Husker Football game near the track for the fan area? Or is that there permanently?
Who says it a bust? Just missing another piece that can make it even better.

The reactions of some here point to us being so incredibly disappointed that there isn't a screen; "my enthusiasm plummeted", for example. Yes, it's the cherry on top of the cake, but the cake is still going to be pretty good I think, which is why I'm not too worried and thus am not complaining much.

Edit: Although a screen would have worked pretty well on the ginormous blank wall on the southeast side of the Apartments. Oh well.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

MadMartin8 wrote:Or, or...we just don't think the whole development is a bust because people can't watch a giant TV. :shrug:
It's not a bust, but I can answer your statement with a quote from yourself.
MadMartin8 wrote:Because they have been scaling back since day one due to costs and demand.
It's just disappointment from scale backs.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:Or, or...we just don't think the whole development is a bust because people can't watch a giant TV. :shrug:
It's not a bust, but I can answer your statement with a quote from yourself.
MadMartin8 wrote:Because they have been scaling back since day one due to costs and demand.
Understandable. That said, considering the market and the trouble it was even to get this thing started, I'm still jazzed for the final product. Then again, I'm easy to please.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Lets just hope it's Pre-wired !!!!
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

nebugeater wrote:

There are all kinds of events this could be used for. Obviously you'd have it going going for the CWS, Swim trials, Husker games (all day on Saturdays), the Olympics, World Cup, NBA finals, NHL finals, etc.

Greg
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

MadMartin8 wrote:
Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
Understandable. That said, considering the market and the trouble it was even to get this thing started, I'm still jazzed for the final product..
This pretty much sums up my feelings about the Capitol District project. Giant TV screen or not, this will be a fantastic addition for Downtown Omaha..and I can remember times back in 2011-2014, I was wondering out loud if this development, in any form, would ever get off the ground.. it helps me keep a solid positive perspective.. especially knowing that we now have a project that will be seen through to 100% completion...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!