Capitol District (NWC 10th & Capitol)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

iamjacobm
City Council

Re: Official: Capitol District

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/2 ... r-Concepts
Society 1854 – Omaha Eatery

Society 1854, named for the year Omaha was founded, will offer a regionally inspired menu featuring handcrafted recipes focusing on “all things local.” The culinary leaders are creating an authentically Midwestern seasonal breakfast, lunch and dinner menu. The menu will feature familiar American cuisine, while incorporating a unique, creative flair that highlights the region’s finest ingredients. The eatery will also tap into Omaha’s local breweries, offering a thoughtfully curated craft beer list from some of the best brewers in the state.

A selection of wines from some of the world’s finest appellations will also be available by the glass and bottle. Throughout the day, Society 1854 will feature a “sharing table” that highlights local food and tastings.

“Society 1854 represents a timeless eatery inspired by Omaha’s charm and will offer a space for guests to enjoy popular Midwestern staples with a modern twist. Our commitment to farm-to-table style preparations can be seen in every dish we create. We take great pride in working with local farmers, butchers, creameries and brewers to bring our guests a powerful culinary experience,” said Hockenberry.
Burdock + Bitters – Omaha Bar & Lounge

Omaha’s newest bar and lounge, Burdock + Bitters, will offer an array of spirits and cocktails, select beer and wine, and delectable small plates sure to take guests on a sensory food and beverage journey. Named for the two prominent ingredients in the classic American drink, The Old Fashioned, Burdock + Bitters will be perfect for after work happy hours, unwinding or a fun night on the town. Guests can sample the bar’s international collection of whiskey through whiskey flights, or enjoy a beer from its vast collection of seasonal, local, craft, macro and import offerings. Handcrafted cocktails are prepared with fresh ingredients mixed with local and exotic flavors, and an approachable collection of wines will be available by the bottle or glass.

“During each visit, our bartenders will personally guide guests through Burdock + Bitters’ menu, helping them learn about all our fine cocktail and spirit offerings,” added Hockenberry. “Located in the new energetic Capitol District, Burdock + Bitters will provide an upscale and modern space for all to enjoy a drink before or after a concert, a sporting event, or just for fun. Guests and locals can also take advantage of our weekly happy hour specials and discounts.”

Burdock + Bitters will also feature unique snacks and small plates perfect for sharing, as well as larger plates for guests looking to dine at the bar.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

BTW I think these are in the hotel. Not totally sure though.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote:BTW I think these are in the hotel. Not totally sure though.
There are temporary signs for both on the east side of the Marriott so I would say you are correct.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Greg S wrote:
nebugeater wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:I guess I don't see much of a need for a permanent one and I am not sure that they ever really committed to one either.

Bring in a screen for a few Husker games, the NCAA tourney when its in town the Swim Trials and the CWS. The rest of the time they wont need it at all. Not like we have a pro team to watch all year, if anything a permanent one would just be a flashing billboard 90% of the time...

Sounds like trying to rationalize a decision for one not existing. The one in Lincoln at the rail yard gets used a LOT and not as a flashing billboard. My speculation is that if there is not one there permanently then it will be very rare that one gets brought in.
There are all kinds of events this could be used for. Obviously you'd have it going going for the CWS, Swim trials, Husker games (all day on Saturdays), the Olympics, World Cup, NBA finals, NHL finals, etc.

Greg

I would add out of town Bud Crawford fights to the video boards (obviously they'd have to pay to be able to show them like bars do).

Greg
EricHaley
Human Relations

Post by EricHaley »

Is it just me, or is the “o” of the Marriott sign (that’s visible the construction cam) out of alignment with the other letters? Looks like it’s too low and too far to the right.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

EricHaley wrote:Is it just me, or is the “o” of the Marriott sign (that’s visible the construction cam) out of alignment with the other letters? Looks like it’s too low and too far to the right.
No way they would mess up something with this development. /s
swgiust
Library Board

Post by swgiust »

From reading the article, these will be in the hotel. God, I hope they have a nice outside street entrance. I will not go to a bar that I have to walk through the lobby of a hotel to get to.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

I did a cursory look and couldn't find a thread about the new Des Moines Hilton convention center hotel. I AM NOT trying to start a flame war! Having said that I saw some pics on the UrbanDSM web site and I sincerely have one thing to say. That hotel looks like a jail. I'm sure it's nice on the inside but wow. Jail.

The preceeding was in its entirety MY PERSONAL OPINION.
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

It definitely has an ounce more of less boring design than our Hilton I will say.
#gohawks
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

NovakOmaha wrote:I did a cursory look and couldn't find a thread about the new Des Moines Hilton convention center hotel. I AM NOT trying to start a flame war! Having said that I saw some pics on the UrbanDSM web site and I sincerely have one thing to say. That hotel looks like a jail. I'm sure it's nice on the inside but wow. Jail.

The preceeding was in its entirety MY PERSONAL OPINION.
Meanwhile, after taking my daily peek at the construction cam, our Capitol District Marriott Hotel is coming along quite nicely :) ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

The Starbucks signage is up on the SW corner of the hotel.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Blast I was hoping for locally owned Scooters.
15-17, 26, 32
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

MTO wrote:Blast I was hoping for locally owned Scooters.
So was I. Outbid by the empire.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Occupation tax passed 6-1. Will be the first in the city, Crossroads development perusing the same thing; The Railyard in Lincoln and NEX in Gretna already uses it.
EricHaley
Human Relations

Post by EricHaley »

Hotel looks to be open according to the construction cam.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

EricHaley wrote:Hotel looks to be open according to the construction cam.
Looks great on the construction cam with all the fencing and what not taken away. Still see lots of workers there though. Also looks like they have curtains (which I would assume is one of the final things to go in) all the way up to the second from the top floor.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I agree. The Marriott looks great on the cam. I drove by Capitol District Monday evening and the entire development looks even better in person...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Capitol District facebook posted some pictures saying the hotel passed city inspection today. The inside looks very high quality.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

I was looking at their Facebook page and came across this photo of the view from the pool:
19424070_242093386283457_4873096844051152308_n.jpg
19424070_242093386283457_4873096844051152308_n.jpg (26.84 KiB) Viewed 3478 times
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

That is a bad |expletive| view of Downtown Omaha!
EricHaley
Human Relations

Post by EricHaley »

HR Paperstacks wrote:I was looking at their Facebook page and came across this photo of the view from the pool:
So that’s how the Omaha skyline would look without the Woodmen Tower… :lol:
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

EricHaley wrote:
HR Paperstacks wrote:I was looking at their Facebook page and came across this photo of the view from the pool:
So that’s how the Omaha skyline would look without the Woodmen Tower… :lol:
:lol:

Agreed, it's a great view. :-)
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Maybe it’s a good thing those two office buildings will be on the shorter side.
15-17, 26, 32
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Very nice. They also have a picture with the pool all filled up as well, but that view is great.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

skinzfan23 wrote:Very nice. They also have a picture with the pool all filled up as well, but that view is great.
Interiors too:
Congratulations Omaha Marriott Downtown at the Capitol District on passing all of your inspections. We are one step closer to opening the hotel!
Photos:
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

Looks really nice!
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:I agree. The Marriott looks great on the cam. I drove by Capitol District Monday evening and the entire development looks even better in person...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Naw... the building's aren't tall enough, the Marriot sign isn't Marriot-y nor sign-y enough, and there isn't a big giant TV somewhere. You are actually disappointed and just don't realize it yet.
No posts exist for this topic
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

MadMartin8 wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:I agree. The Marriott looks great on the cam. I drove by Capitol District Monday evening and the entire development looks even better in person...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Naw... the building's aren't tall enough, the Marriot sign isn't Marriot-y nor sign-y enough, and there isn't a big giant TV somewhere. You are actually disappointed and just don't realize it yet.
LOL, exactly..

In the end, you can't please all people all the time :;): ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace
LOL, exactly..

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Frankly I don't think it's European enough, there's no light rail, no carousel, no ferris wheel, not nearly enough Macys, Saks, Nordstroms, Shake Shack, no canal, no Subway, no Runza, no domed stadium, and for Pete's sake no revolving restaurant on the 45th floor. What kind of Village Centre Pointe Placee is this joint?
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

NovakOmaha wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace
LOL, exactly..

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Frankly I don't think it's European enough, there's no light rail, no carousel, no ferris wheel, not nearly enough Macys, Saks, Nordstroms, Shake Shack, no canal, no Subway, no Runza, no domed stadium, and for Pete's sake no revolving restaurant on the 45th floor. What kind of Village Centre Pointe Placee is this joint?

And there is highly dubious walkability for the whole development.
No posts exist for this topic
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

MadMartin8 wrote:
NovakOmaha wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace
LOL, exactly..

Ciao..LiO...Peace

Well dang. Let's just bulldoze the whole thing. I'd rather see a fenced in city block with weeds growing out of control anyway..

:;): ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

MadMartin8 wrote:
NovakOmaha wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace
LOL, exactly..

Ciao..LiO...Peace

Walkability??? Walkability?!?!?! This is Omaha!!! Where are the acres of free parking surrounding the entire development??? Walkability.... You think I'm going to drive ALL THE WAY downtown and park more than 100 feet from wherever I'm going? This is DOWNTOWN! I'm not going to walk past some panhandler or other yucky person. Walkability. Seriously.
EricHaley
Human Relations

Post by EricHaley »

Looks like they’re now clearing the land for the office buildings.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (143.96 KiB) Viewed 2693 times
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I wonder why it wasn't all built at one time? The eventual central entertainment area will be a construction zone for another year or more from the looks of it.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Article on OWH with a video of hotel and one bedroom apartment

Marriott in Omaha's Capitol District gives a sneak peek of the nearly complete 333-room hotel

http://www.omaha.com/money/marriott-in- ... de4f7.html
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Uffda wrote:Article on OWH with a video of hotel and one bedroom apartment

Marriott in Omaha's Capitol District gives a sneak peek of the nearly complete 333-room hotel

http://www.omaha.com/money/marriott-in- ... de4f7.html
Article mentions that the hotel will open on Aug 8th and that the apartments are currently being moved into 60 rented out already.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

iamjacobm wrote:the apartments are currently being moved into 60 rented out already.
Wow, nice! That was quick. I hope these residents do not border the construction noise....but I guess it will be noisy every weekend on the interior side anyways.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:the apartments are currently being moved into 60 rented out already.
Wow, nice! That was quick. I hope these residents do not border the construction noise....but I guess it will be noisy every weekend on the interior side anyways.
Yeah the site will be busy for at least another year. They said the move ins are on the lower floors as the upper floors are still being finished up.

The smaller scale buildings along Capitol will hopefully be less intrusive to the development as a whole as they are being built.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

On KETV last night Mike Moylan said the plaza will have a screen. Maybe they changed their minds.