Capitol District (NWC 10th & Capitol)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Re: Official: Capitol District

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

iamjacobm wrote:
thenewguy wrote:It could be that i was attempting to browse on my phone, but for the life of me, i could not locate the actual floor plans (besides pricing and then 'contact us' when you click 1 bed, 1 bath, etc)
I wasn't able to find actual floor plans either.
http://www.livecapitoldistrict.com/floorplans.aspx
Floorplans are up. No clue how long they have been live.

Looks like TINY kitchens, okay/smallish sized bedrooms, and HUGE living rooms
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:
thenewguy wrote:It could be that i was attempting to browse on my phone, but for the life of me, i could not locate the actual floor plans (besides pricing and then 'contact us' when you click 1 bed, 1 bath, etc)

Whoever did those kitchens has clearly never cooked a day in their lives. Holy moley they're bad. I get they're going for the loft experience that's still not worth it to me.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

RNcyanide wrote:
Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:

Whoever did those kitchens has clearly never cooked a day in their lives. Holy moley they're bad. I get they're going for the loft experience that's still not worth it to me.
Holy |expletive| those apartments are expensive! I agree about the kitchens, they're super small. I think the largest unit looks like a duplex with no wall separating the two sides.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

I've always thought it was weird when you had to pass through a closet to get to the bathroom. Some of the more expensive units here seem to have this layout.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

daveoma wrote:
RNcyanide wrote:
Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:

Holy |expletive| those apartments are expensive! I agree about the kitchens, they're super small. I think the largest unit looks like a duplex with no wall separating the two sides.
I wonder if the idea is to encourage the people who have enough money for the exorbitantly high rents to go down to the district and spend money at the restaurants down there for food.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Charge a ton, get no Creighton party boys and no Section 8. Your apartments become sellable to new people moving in from other cities where big $ rents are normal, but living in a Frat or in a welfare hotel is not.
Trips
Library Board

Post by Trips »

So they only have one model with a balcony and it just so happens to have two? $2,900 - $3,000 and you can get some fresh air.

On a side note, I was looking at a condo on Friday and it looked like the hotel pool was ready for tile work. I think that will be a cool feature if they do it right.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Noticed that they installed a large "Capitol District" sign on the north side of the apt building.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Glass on the 11th floor is all installed. Only a few more panels to go on the 12th floor and all exterior glass should be done.

They are also installing the Marriott sign on the south part of the hotel.
Last edited by skinzfan23 on Thu May 04, 2017 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

skinzfan23 wrote:Glass on the 11th floor is all installed. Only a few more panels to go on the 12th floor and all exterior glass should be done.
Taking advantage of the nice weather the next few days...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

skinzfan23 wrote:Glass on the 11th floor is all installed. Only a few more panels to go on the 12th floor and all exterior glass should be done.

They are also installing the Marriott sign on the south part of the hotel.
The must have taken one back down because there was one window missing on the 11th today.

The sky walk from the parking garage to the new building is also up, and the construction elevator on the hotel is gone.

Here is a crappy cell phone pic of the sign going up today.
Cap.JPG
Cap.JPG (127.84 KiB) Viewed 5405 times
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Excellent Pic update Brad! :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
nebraska
Library Board

Post by nebraska »

Brad wrote:Here is a crappy cell phone pic of the sign going up today.
Whoa now. Crappy is my skill level, I have a monopoly on it. You take your fancy whirlybird and $8000 camera back up to the pro-level and leave us amateurs alone.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Looks like they poured some concrete in front of the hotel too. Would be great to get the sidewalk open by CWS time.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I was going to try to get a few photos of the Capitol District this morning, but I forgot it was the Berkshire 5K or whatever its called, so I went to Iowa to get a progress photo. Had the real camera this time too.

Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Brad wrote:I was going to try to get a few photos of the Capitol District this morning, but I forgot it was the Berkshire 5K or whatever its called, so I went to Iowa to get a progress photo. Had the real camera this time too.

That pic is freakin awesome Brad.. Bravo :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: That pic is freakin awesome Brad.. Bravo :thumb: ...
Thanks Lou! I went back this afternoon when the light was around to the west more and got a photo of the new sign.

Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Brad wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote: That pic is freakin awesome Brad.. Bravo :thumb: ...
Thanks Lou! I went back this afternoon when the light was around to the west more and got a photo of the new sign.

Love it! :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

Thank you for the photos! :-) :-)
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

I forget how lame our skyline is.
15-17, 26, 32
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

I agree that the skyline could be much improved. Lost opportunities such as HDR.

On the other hand, this development adds so much to the marketability of the CLink. Over 300 more class A rooms in a "District" immediately next to the CLINK. Between this and the Hilton gives the CLink almost 1,000 rooms next to it and add in the other nearby hotels and you have a lot of marketing muscle. Not to pour gas on the fire but compare it to Des Moines even with their new hotel. Their arena & convention center have zero local flavor in the area...restaurants, bars, shopping, etc. With North Downtown and the market the CLink is almost guaranteed NCAA events and even larger conventions & other events. Capitol District may not add 30 or more stories to the skyline but to those attending events at the CLink it only adds to the area. And THAT is impressive.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

MTO wrote:I forget how lame our skyline is.
Awww. Do you need a hug?..

Read Novak's post above ^ and you'll feel better...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

NovakOmaha wrote:I agree that the skyline could be much improved. Lost opportunities such as HDR.

On the other hand, this development adds so much to the marketability of the CLink. Over 300 more class A rooms in a "District" immediately next to the CLINK. Between this and the Hilton gives the CLink almost 1,000 rooms next to it and add in the other nearby hotels and you have a lot of marketing muscle. Not to pour gas on the fire but compare it to Des Moines even with their new hotel. Their arena & convention center have zero local flavor in the area...restaurants, bars, shopping, etc. With North Downtown and the market the CLink is almost guaranteed NCAA events and even larger conventions & other events. Capitol District may not add 30 or more stories to the skyline but to those attending events at the CLink it only adds to the area. And THAT is impressive.

The goal of this development was never to be a "skyline changer". It was to do exactly as Novak stated above, create a thriving new district/neighborhood in a once blighted area. So far, it seems like they will succeed.
No posts exist for this topic
symphie
New to the Neighborhood

Post by symphie »

Those are beautiful photos Brad, and I agree that this is going to be a huge improvement for the area. It already seems to be bringing life to the area and it isn't even completed yet. With this project and the developments in North Downtown I am really excited and hopeful for what's to come!
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

From the World Herald story today about restaurants:
Also expected to drive more restaurant growth this year are two major developments: The Capital District at 10th and Capitol Streets, and the Boys Town West Farm development near 144th Street and West Dodge Road, said Boh Kurylo, a senior vice president and broker who focuses on retail and restaurants at Lerner Co.

Kurylo said he already has signed four new restaurants, bars or entertainment concepts for the Capitol District, meant to be a shopping and entertainment hub, but said he’s not at liberty to announce who they are yet.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Permit for the "Entertainment District" before city council tomorrow.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

skinzfan23 wrote:From the World Herald story today about restaurants:
Also expected to drive more restaurant growth this year are two major developments: The Capital District at 10th and Capitol Streets, and the Boys Town West Farm development near 144th Street and West Dodge Road, said Boh Kurylo, a senior vice president and broker who focuses on retail and restaurants at Lerner Co.

Kurylo said he already has signed four new restaurants, bars or entertainment concepts for the Capitol District, meant to be a shopping and entertainment hub, but said he’s not at liberty to announce who they are yet.
Grow Omaha mentioned the continual rumor... Here... McCormick & Schmick's
Please. Please. Please.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

That would be an awesome addition to our restaurant mix. I have eaten at M&S restaurants in several other cities and always had a nice dining experience. The one in KC is particularly beautiful, and always packed.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I meant to post this before but I wish the north side of hotel would match the south side with the windows jetting out. It looks pretty plain when being flat when driving by on 480. Still much better than the Swanson plant that was there previously though.
Last edited by skinzfan23 on Tue May 23, 2017 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

skinzfan23 wrote:I meant to post this before but I wish the north side of hotel would match the south side with the windows jetting out. It looks pretty plain when being flat when driving by on 480.
I was about to ask you to take a picture of it but I'd rather not be responsible for you shooting a picture while driving on 480.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Although this was a picture taken back in October, you can see that it is flat without protruding out.

Here is the view from of the construction from the south:

OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

I've heard three bars are committed. And starbux.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Coyote wrote: Grow Omaha mentioned the continual rumor... Here... McCormick & Schmick's
Please. Please. Please.
McCormick & Schmick's would be a fantastic "get" for this development..

Fingers crossed...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

iamjacobm wrote:Permit for the "Entertainment District" before city council tomorrow.
This was approved for a two year period and will be reviewed by the city at that point to see if the policy needs any fixes.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I was driving on 480 Friday night/Saturday morning and noticed the rooms up to the 4th floor were done and already had pictures hanging on the wall.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Looking forward to official tenant announcements. Should be cool.

Greg
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I wonder how close to complete the Marriott will be by CWS time in 3 weeks.. As Maxwell Smart would say- "missed it by THAT much"...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
OmahaFan
Home Owners Association

Post by OmahaFan »

It look's like it's moving along at a Swift pace. I doubt they will have the new Hotel completed by then but you never know. Looks great though!
Spatial77
Home Owners Association

Post by Spatial77 »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:I wonder how close to complete the Marriott will be by CWS time in 3 weeks.. As Maxwell Smart would say- "missed it by THAT much"...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I checked the Marriott website last week and they are not taking reservations until the end of September.
"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." -- Niels Bohr
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

When I looked at the Marriott website earlier in the year, they were taking reservations for August. I might have even seen July before that IIRC. So in the time since, I wonder if they delayed the opening or if they are booked up for August and possibly July.
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.