Capitol District (NWC 10th & Capitol)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

MTO
City Council

Re: Official: Capitol District

Post by MTO »

They jewel us on the overall height of the place but at least they seam committed to the out-building caddy-corner to the hotel.

"Capital Place: A stand-alone parcel with frontage on Dodge Street, Capitol Avenue and 9th Street will stand in the southeast corner of the project. This site’s prominent location will house additional retail, of ce space and 75 Residential Apartment units."
15-17, 26, 32
ShaneofCal
New to the Neighborhood

Post by ShaneofCal »

Any photo updates on this project. It's been a little over two weeks since the last pic updates. I bet it's lookin' mighty sexy.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

ShaneofCal wrote:Any photo updates on this project. It's been a little over two weeks since the last pic updates. I bet it's lookin' mighty sexy.
Will these do? :;):

Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Bravo Brad! Absolutely stunning photography..

Every time you go up, your shots get better and better (if that's possible) :clap: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Sweet pics :banger:
ShaneofCal
New to the Neighborhood

Post by ShaneofCal »

:yes: Even sexier than I imagined. Great pics. Thank you for posting.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Amazing pics Brad!!!
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Wasn't there supposed to be a parking structure built in association with this project? Is it pictured somewhere in these photos? Thanks.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

nativeomahan wrote:Wasn't there supposed to be a parking structure built in association with this project? Is it pictured somewhere in these photos? Thanks.
Supposed to be near the overpass, and it looks like they may be driving pilings now, from those photos.
No posts exist for this topic
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

How close are they to the topping out point?

Greg
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Greg S wrote:How close are they to the topping out point?

Greg
From looking at their "Construction Cam" a couple days ago, it appears they are about 80% complete (height wise) on the Hotel tower and completely topped out on the residential...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Greg
From looking at their "Construction Cam" a couple days ago, it appears they are about 80% complete (height wise) on the Hotel tower and completely topped out on the residential...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Thanks.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Greg

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Yes, they are working on the 11th floor of the hotel, which should have 14 once completed. If you count the upper glass part, it might stretch to 15.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

15.5 if you count the glass and part.
15-17, 26, 32
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

The apartments are looking good. Can't wait to see once they start working on the exterior things.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Greg S wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Greg

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Thanks.
You're welcome!...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I think the NE side of the apartment building has the finished siding on.
Spatial77
Home Owners Association

Post by Spatial77 »

I think the hotel may be close to its final height. I am basing that on two observations. The tower crane does not have the mechanism in place to add additional segments to the tower. This is as high as this crane is going to be. They can't go much higher without additional crane height. The thing that is most telling is the latest column rebar that went in. The rebar does not continue up vertically, but turns 90 degrees to horizontal. This indicates that the concrete columns terminat at that level when they pour the next floor.

Of course they could change construction techniques and materials and go to lightweight steel framing for the rest of the floors, if there are "rest of the floors".
"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." -- Niels Bohr
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Spatial77 wrote: The thing that is most telling is the latest column rebar that went in. The rebar does not continue up vertically, but turns 90 degrees to horizontal. This indicates that the concrete columns terminat at that level when they pour the next floor.

Of course they could change construction techniques and materials and go to lightweight steel framing for the rest of the floors, if there are "rest of the floors".
Looking back and the renderings, the main core of the hotel only goes up to 12 floors, which would be the highest floor with rebar right now. Maybe you are right about the top floors containing lightweight framing.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Photo from the World Herald of this morning's fog:

Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

skinzfan23 wrote:Photo from the World Herald of this morning's fog:

Very VERY nice :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
asherballa
New to the Neighborhood

Post by asherballa »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
skinzfan23 wrote:Photo from the World Herald of this morning's fog:

Very VERY nice :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
That fog was unreal. It was like driving into the clouds when I rolled into downtown this morning. Apparently it's due to warm water and frosty air.
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

So now that it looks like both buildings are about topped out, what's the plan as we get into the ground becoming colder? Interior work for the hotel/apartments and start building the parking garage? Then start on the office buildings in the spring?
2Adam29
Home Owners Association

Post by 2Adam29 »

New rendering from KETV
Tornado
Home Owners Association

Post by Tornado »

So going back and looking at the original renderings it looks like they reduced the floor count by one and lowered the raised awnings on either end, which will lower the total height quite a bit. Overall though the hotel will look very similar to the original renderings which is great. The office buildings still look to be 7 stories but I'm sure thats subject to change depending on demand. Hopefully they stay in the 6 story + range otherwise it will look odd.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Interesting that the article didn't mention the office buildings...
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I think the biggest difference from the original renderings is the southeast corner of the apt building. The original rendering looked to be mostly glass, but I think we knew for a while, looking at the construction cam, that it was just going to be a blank wall. I hope that the office buildings get built soon because that looks a little odd with just a blank wall and no windows.

I also a little disappointed that the hotel looks to be completely flat on the top now. I think the other design made it stand out a little more. One nice positive change is that the east wall of the hotel looks to be all glass now compared the the early renderings which only had all glass on the edges of the building.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

MadMartin8 wrote:Interesting that the article didn't mention the office buildings...
There's no need for more office space downtown. Not trying to be negative either. You've got AV filling in, the new Boys Town development, and also Sterling Ridge. A lot of new office being built but just not necessarily downtown.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

choke wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:Interesting that the article didn't mention the office buildings...
There's no need for more office space downtown. Not trying to be negative either. You've got AV filling in, the new Boys Town development, and also Sterling Ridge. A lot of new office being built but just not necessarily downtown.
At present, this is a valid point..

As it relates to the way KETV presented this, I thought we had another new hotel proposed/going up.. then I read the article on their site..and it's, of course, the Capitol District project, lol...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

And yet some say AV, BT, CR...... won't have any effect on DTO.

And if they do ultimately forgo the office portion the plaza will be significantly larger and open up to the street. And it comes with it's own theater screen.
15-17, 26, 32
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

I get AV having an impact on downtown because it's kind of a "good enough" version of a downtown to appease one segment of employees while another group doesn't have to go all the way downtown.

Boys Town is so far out west it seems like it would have very little impact on downtown offices that wouldn't have just been moving out to 190th or 220th or wherever.
Tornado
Home Owners Association

Post by Tornado »

The office buildings will get built in some fashion, i have no doubts about that. Businesses that will locate in this development will WANT to be right there, and nothing going on at crossroads, AV, Boystown, etc will alter that at all.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

I like to think that since all of the projects will be built over fairly extensive time periods (the Atlanta Braves played in Turner Field for a shorter period of time than it's expected to take to build out Boys Town) the city will be able to absorb it all. If it means that plans for the office park at 192nd and cornfields is scrapped, i'd be okay with that.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Tornado wrote:The office buildings will get built in some fashion, i have no doubts about that. Businesses that will locate in this development will WANT to be right there, and nothing going on at crossroads, AV, Boystown, etc will alter that at all.

Those are my thoughts, and hopes, as well. These office buildings aren't exactly the large huge towers so I think they definitely have a market.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Hard to tell, but is the building topped out now, or is there one more floor to go?
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Er...so is that Southeast Corner of the apartments just going to be one solid wall? :sly:
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

skinzfan23 wrote:Hard to tell, but is the building topped out now, or is there one more floor to go?
Based on what I've seen on the construction cam today, it looks like they have one more floor to go :) ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

I could be wrong but I think the hotel is topped out.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
skinzfan23 wrote:Hard to tell, but is the building topped out now, or is there one more floor to go?
Based on what I've seen on the construction cam today, it looks like they have one more floor to go :) ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I thought I saw another floor for the elevator shaft the other day, but it is hard to tell now from the webcam.
Spatial77
Home Owners Association

Post by Spatial77 »

The elevator will have a "penthouse" where the cable works are located which sticks up above the highest occupied level. I am 99% sure that they are placing the last floor... this is as tall as it is going to get.
"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." -- Niels Bohr