Creighton Campus Development

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Creighton expansion continues...

The basic soccer field was completed last year for the soccer stadium...

Phase II completes the 5,000 seat stadium...

and of course the new student housing is coming right along...

What will be the most appealing part of Creightons new expansion... is
all the green space, walkways, plazas and fountains which
they intend to add.  In addition to new benches, lampposts
and signs campus wide.  Right now... it's hard to figure out where exactly the campus ends at in the east... once this is all completed, it will be well defined... and much more attractive.

DMRyan
Human Relations

Post by DMRyan »

Wow, I hadn't seen much of this before. The streetscaping looks great! It'll be nice to see a whole district with its own look and feel carved out that corner of downtown.

Is Creighton building any other buildings currently?
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Mostly stuff wrapping up...

This project is nearing completion... just south of the Creighton University Medical Center hospital... which is on the extreme west end of the campus...

Of course the new Creighton Science Center finished last year... it will anchor a new pedestrian plaza named for alum/passed away Columbia shuttle astronaut Michael Anderson (Michael Anderson Memorial Plaza).

StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Ha! I was actually just looking at this on Creighton's website yesterday! Crazy.

But yeah, the new stadium, the beautiful new student housing, combined with the development of North Downtown all the way to the riverfront will make for quite an amazing district. This is all very exciting!
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
sokkerdewd
Home Owners Association

thanks

Post by sokkerdewd »

Thanks for the pictures! I had no idea...
sokkerdewd
eomaha
County Board

Creighton Soccer Stadium update

Post by eomaha »

From the World Herald...

Some assembly required for Jays' soccer future

Where others see concrete and bare steel, Creighton Soccer Coach Bob Warming sees a jewel rising on the east end of campus.

Construction continues on the second phase of the school's new $12 million soccer stadium, a 5,000-seat complex just north of Interstate 480. Much of the work on the main grandstand, press box and some of the second-level suites is expected to be complete by the time the Bluejays open exhibition play in late August.

When all the work is finished, Warming said, Creighton arguably will have the finest on-campus soccer stadium in the country and a facility in which the community can take great pride.

"The stadium will give all the different club and high school teams in this area a rallying point," Warming said. "They'll know that in their city they have the very best soccer stadium in the country. It's going to be a great help for the sport."

But sport will not be the only activity at the facility. The Omaha Symphony plans an outdoor concert there Sept. 11. Creighton Athletic Director Bruce Rasmussen said preliminary talks have been held to attract everything from band competitions to street festivals to the stadium and its adjacent property.

Creighton will partner with the Omaha Public Schools in a bid to bring the Nebraska high school soccer tournament to the city, Rasmussen said. The school also will seek to host club tournaments and professional exhibitions.

The stadium will be the site of this season's Missouri Valley Conference men's championships in November. Valley Commissioner Doug Elgin said the artificial playing surface was an overriding factor in moving the semifinals and final from their neutral site in St. Louis.

"It can be challenging playing on grass fields in November in our area," Elgin said. "We shouldn't have that problem at Creighton."

The stadium's playing surface, a soccer-specific brand called Arena Grass, drew raves from coaches during its first season of play last fall.

"Fortunately, our timing was right that we were able to take advantage of the technology in surface design," Warming said. "If we would have done this eight or 10 years ago, we probably would have ended up with a very nice grandstand and a not-so-nice field."

The first phase of the stadium, which included the playing field and terraced seating on the east side, was completed last August. Construction began in the spring on the second phase, which includes 2,500 chairback seats and a suite level.

A canopy will cover the west stadium.

"Ours will be the first college soccer stadium built in the more traditional European design," Warming said. "Everyone knows that the weather in this area during soccer season can be challenging. We decided to do what they do in northern Europe and try to protect the fans from the elements with the canopy. It also helps us honor the tradition of the game."
Greg S
City Council

Creighton

Post by Greg S »

I saw where Creighton has launched a $350 million fund raising campaign. It mentioned that part of it will be used to continue their eastern expansion. It would be nice if part of this is used to fund a new baseball stadium for that area.

Greg
SolitaryMan
New to the Neighborhood

Not Likely

Post by SolitaryMan »

Creighton is not going to use any of the money they've raised - and are in the process of raising - for a baseball stadium. The master plan does call for moving the current ball fields further east, but I think that's probably ten years out still. If the city could come to some agreement with the Royals, maybe you could have a Creighton-Royals-Omaha funded stadium, but CU certainly isn't going to do it by themselves.
mchine73
Home Owners Association

Post by mchine73 »

solitary man, sorry, but I think you're |expletive| backwards on this one. Yes, Creighton would love to play in a "city" owned facility but will put no money up. They will however, build there own. Being somewhat close to both parties (working for Creighton baseball, and usually talking with Doug Stewart at least once a month). I know the boosters are really tired of the Creighton Baseball Stadium and have been putting some pressure on the athletic dept.

Regarding the Royals stadium, I've seen the renderings(think victory park/autozone park) and this thing will be what really turns this area into a destination.

p.s. Heard some rumblings of more residential in North Downtown. Currently doing feasibility studies, announcement in spring? Let's hope
Brad
City Council

CU launches $350 million fund drive

Post by Brad »

CU launches $350 million fund drive

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=1640&u_sid=2076709
Creighton University launched a $350 million fundraising drive Saturday night, aiming to further the school's expansion plans, fund academic programs and raise its profile nationally among Catholic universities.

The Rev. John Schlegel, president of Creighton, said the campaign already has received $226 million in money and pledges. Million-dollar donors include 32 individuals, corporations, foundations and estates.

Two major gifts were $17 million from the Peter Kiewit Foundation and $25 million from the estates of Gilbert and Clinton Beirne, brothers who graduated from the Creighton School of Medicine in the 1940s and practiced dermatology in California.
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

We have talked about construction/development on CU's campus before (Living/Learning Center, soccer stadium, new parking garages, new housing, etc). However, the information is spread across several topics and I thought Creighton deserved its own topic with all the campus improvements underway!

Here is the latest:

Construction should commence on the $50 million, 200,000-square-foot, 4-story Living/Learning Center this fall. It will be located northeast of 21st and California Streets (former location of the Epsen Hillmer Graphics building). It will include a sports café, indoor/outdoor latte bar, 500-seat multi-use auditorium, 10 standard size classrooms, 10 seminar rooms, a bookstore and a 7,000-square-foot exercise space. The Living Learning Center is anticipating a Fall 2008 completion.

Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

It is great that the expansion and architecture has Creighton becoming more of a traditional "campus."
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Creighton has been great to this city's development the last few years. I just wish they would get on board with the DT baseball stadium with the Royals.

Greg
Vince Furlong
Home Owners Association

Post by Vince Furlong »

Looking at Finn's specs above, I am wondering.....

1. How friendly will these buidlings be to the street and the surrounding buildings, i.e., will they face the street, be easily accessible from the sidewalks, limit parking in front, etc.?

2. Will these be public-use facilities, i.e, the sports cafe, latte spot, bookstore, etc?

Hopefully, we will see Creighton become "neighborhood-friendly" with these sites. Omaha needs a better connect between its universities and the surrounding public.

Vince Furlong
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

for the most part, the majority of creighton buildings are right up to the street. I know they just built a parking garage and have plans for more, so surface lots are minimal, and becoming more scarce as more buildings are being erected. Also, as with other universities, I am pretty sure that the new student center will be open to the public. I have never had any problems walking into the current student center there. If anyone has any other information, feel free to interject.
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

A shiny yellow crane was erected last week, and is spinning daily!  It's nice to see a "real" crane again.
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

OmahaChef wrote:A shiny yellow crane was erected last week, and is spinning daily!  It's nice to see a "real" crane again.
Probably has not been one in DTO since the Holland.  I think I have a picture of it I took last sunday somewhere?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Here is the crane and the construction site:

StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Thanks for those pics.

I'm so happy to see Creighton's continued expansion and growth.  I wish UNO was expanding as fast.

I can't believe how tall that crane is!!!
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Thanks for those pics.

I'm so happy to see Creighton's continued expansion and growth.  I wish UNO was expanding as fast.

I can't believe how tall that crane is!!!
Wait until spring... The baseball Highlights! that crane is just past the right field fence at Creighton's Stadium!
ModestMouse
Home Owners Association

Post by ModestMouse »

As far as UNO goes, I honestly think that until they break away from the University of Nebraska system they won't be able to grow.

Just too much politicking around for UNO to really grow. Thats just how I feel about it.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

ModestMouse wrote:As far as UNO goes, I honestly think that until they break away from the University of Nebraska system they won't be able to grow.

Just too much politicking around for UNO to really grow. Thats just how I feel about it.
I totally agree.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:
ModestMouse wrote:As far as UNO goes, I honestly think that until they break away from the University of Nebraska system they won't be able to grow.

I totally agree.
If only we had enough powerful people thinking that way.  It would be cutting the chains loose to say the least.
15-17, 26, 32
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

how do you cut a public university out of the public education system? Even if you name it Omaha State University (and I think there already are a few OSUs)  -- it is still under the same funding umbrella.
We are the people our parents warned us about.

Jimmy Buffett
Raraavis
Library Board

Post by Raraavis »

Other states have multiple independent Universities that aren't part of a single University system.  The Board of Regents would simply Administer a second University System in addition to the University of Nebraska System.  

I always thought UNO and UNMC should be combined into one University independent of UNL.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

Cutting off UNO from the rest of the University system would be a death sentence for UNO.  UNO wouldn't receive more money, and likely would end up being cut off from state funding.  The city wouldn't fund it either, and UNO would slowly starve.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Other states have multiple independent Universities that aren't part of a single University system
just curious --- which states?

Jimmy Buffett
Asten
Human Relations

Post by Asten »

Uffda wrote:
Other states have multiple independent Universities that aren't part of a single University system
Iowa for one.  U of Iowa, Iowa State, and University of Northern Iowa are all independent universities under one state board of regents.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

OK so not being a NE native how is the NE system different?  does everything go through UNL to get to all the other colleges -- UNL UNO UNK Chadron?

Jimmy Buffett
ModestMouse
Home Owners Association

Post by ModestMouse »

yes, iowa has the system

as does Kansas, etc.

most states around nebraska has public universities besides it.

in fact, in nebraska, Wayne State, public university, isn't a part of the University of Nebraska university, but a public university within nebraska.

There are TWO public university systems in Nebraska.

the university of nebraska system and the nebraska state college system

Honestly, UNO will not just simply die if it breaks away.

Most universities don't die, they become smaller, but most of them are still there.
Admin
Law Enforcement

Post by Admin »

OK - enough about UNO on a Creighton thread. Let us continue discussing Creighton's development here.
Harpoon
Human Relations

Post by Harpoon »

Uffda wrote:
Minnesota is another. You have Minnesota State-Mankato, Moorhead State, Southwest State, Bemidji State, St. Cloud State, and Winona State. All of these are separate from the University of Minnesota system which has campuses in Crookston, Duluth, Morris, Twin Cities, and formerly Waseca before it was sold and became a prison.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Creighton? Creighton? Isn't  this a CU thread?
mchine73
Home Owners Association

Post by mchine73 »

Being a senior, it crazy how much this place has changed in four years.  I remember my senior year of high school we got ripped EERRR buzzed from soda, and watched the implosion of the old PJs on 20th just about four years ago this week or last. Go to 20th and Burt today and it's hard to believe that in like 1996 someone was found shot to death in the bus shelter in front of that building. Since then they've really been on a tear in development.  Now there seems to be a real push on improving the academic programs at least the business school.  I know the new business dean and Fr. Shlegel want to bring Creighton down from the ivory hill.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Harper's gift to benefit Creighton
Omaha World Herald wrote:The former chairman of ConAgra Foods Inc. has given Creighton University one of its largest-ever gifts, school officials said today. Charles "Mike" Harper's donation will be used to operate a 214,000-square-foot student union under construction on the eastern edge of the campus. The building, which is scheduled to open in the summer of 2008, will be named for Harper and his late wife, Josie.

The Harper center, at 21st and California Streets, also will serve as the new "front door" to campus as Creighton grows toward downtown. "I greatly admire Father Schlegel's and other leaders' strategic vision expanding the campus eastward," Harper said in a statement. "This downtown renaissance certainly reinforces the decision made years ago to anchor ConAgra on the edge of the Missouri River." The school also hopes to use the drive to build a $1 billion endowment.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

I'm sure I don't have to point out the irony in any of this.

But hey... cool building at least.

-Big E
Stable genius.
Vince Furlong
Home Owners Association

Post by Vince Furlong »

I note in the WH story that this student building will contain a 2-story bookstore and a coffee shop.
Does anyone know if these will be accessible to the public?  I hope so....this would be a plus for the "west side" of North Downtown and help make CU more accessible to the city.  Further, this kind of "retail" might encourage additional non-CU commercial development in the immediate area - small restaurant(s), used bookstore, music store, funky clothier.....you know, the usual "college town" suspects.

Our local universities need to foster more local economic development a la Penn U.  Ohio State....

Vince Furlong
OMAHA MAIN STREETS
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Uffda wrote:
Actually, I don't think you could find a state that DOESN'T have multiple independent universities (MAYBE Alaska?).  Now, be sure you're defining university, college, etc, the same.

-Big E
Stable genius.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

state that DOESN'T have multiple independent universities
Wyoming   :lol:  oops and South Dakota

Jimmy Buffett
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Uffda wrote:
state that DOESN'T have multiple independent universities
Wyoming   :lol:  oops and South Dakota
Is your criteria based on receiving funds from the state?

-Big E
Stable genius.