Creighton Campus Development

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

all i know is creighton's campus is blowin up.  They should give tours to the public...without having to lie and say you want to enroll.
Go Cubs Go
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I see. Gosh the fitness center building looks almost identical to the athletics complex that is nearing completion (probably intentionally).
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:I see. Gosh the fitness center building looks almost identical to the athletics complex that is nearing completion (probably intentionally).
I would say it was intentional.
The Rasmussen Center is the second phase of the Ryan Center project. The first phase, scheduled for completion in August, consists of the Ryan Center, which will house athletic department offices, locker rooms and strength and conditioning facilities, and the D.J. Sokol Arena, which will seat about 3,000 for women's basketball and volleyball.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Thanks Brad. I guess I didn't read it close enough. :)
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

Sounds like quite the center, 150X200 indoor sheet of grass , a rock climbing wall.
where the corn meets the concrete
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

The Ryan Center and Sokol Arena are open to the public today until 6.  I just checked it out, nice place.

Morrison Stadium also open too.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

were you able to snag any photos?
Go Cubs Go
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

They are downloading now.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Here are a couple panos and an exterior shot:

thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

Creighton is cool.
Go Cubs Go
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Looks really nice, but very "high school".
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Looks really nice, but very "high school".
Few things:
1. High schools don't have video replay boards.
2. High schools are all bleachers, here only the one end is bleachers.
3. Its women's basketball and volleyball, the Civic was way too large.  This is the perfect size for the sports that will use it.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

I think the men's team should play a game or two in there. Imagine that atmosphere!  :lol:
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Brad wrote:
StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Looks really nice, but very "high school".
Few things:
1. High schools don't have video replay boards.
2. High schools are all bleachers, here only the one end is bleachers.
3. Its women's basketball and volleyball, the Civic was way too large.  This is the perfect size for the sports that will use it.
You're absolutely right on all three counts. I was just saying it looks "high school". Not to say it's not the appropriate size or a much higher caliber/quality.
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

Fantastic addition.
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

From sources within Creighton, I have confirmed the baseball fields will be demolished to make room for more dorms and the Teams will be playing at Ameritrade.

Plus, in the distant future the two shorter dorms, Deghlman and Gallager will be demolished and redeveloped.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Axel wrote:Haha sorry I never saw that, thats why I posted, and yes my source is very reliable, they are quite high up...............
I wouldn't really say this is "news."  This is talked about at the Complex for games all the time, and has been for years.  It was in the campus master plan released a few years ago.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

After the UNO Hockey game last night I went out for a drink and ran in to an old friend that knows a lot about whats going on at Creighton.  He said that Anderson Excavation will tear down Mystery Manor and SEVEN other buildings starting December First.  I was also told that The next phase of the athletic center will not start for another year.  Finally I was told that Markoe Hall and the Old Gymnasium (Vinardi Athletic Center) will eventually be torn down.

Here is a photo of the older part of the Creighton Campus.  The Vinardi Athletic Center is the long brick building in the foreground of this photo, Markoe Hall is just right of it.
RegisResident
Home Owners Association

Post by RegisResident »

I doubt that Creighton will be tearing down the Old Gym anytime soon- along with athletics it houses the university's IT department and data center. The university just finished a several million dollar upgrade to the data center so I doubt they will be tearing down the building anytime soon. I've heard that the plan for the building after athletics leaves (if they ever do), will be to add additional classrooms and possibly try to consolidate all of IT to one building.

Markoe hall is definitely a possibility although I heard they will just turn the area into green space.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

With as many open lots as Creighton owns, and as many lots directly adjacent that they COULD own, why on god's green earth would they ever consider tearing down such a substantial, historic structure?!!!!

The Mystery Manor building is actually a really cool rowhouse that deserves to be saved. It's a pity they're planning on tearing it down.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:The Mystery Manor building is actually a really cool rowhouse that deserves to be saved. It's a pity they're planning on tearing it down.
I am going to guess, that the haunted house owners have TRASHED the inside of that house to the point there is nothing but part of the shell left.  There is a huge really ugly addition on the back, so I am going to guess they chopped the original back full of holes.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Well, sure. So it's a great historic shell that could be completely retrofitted with modern style on the inside.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Well, sure. So it's a great historic shell that could be completely retrofitted with modern style on the inside.
I am sure if someone was willing to pay, the would let you move it.
blueblood
Home Owners Association

Post by blueblood »

Vinardi will not be torn down. Eventually it is to be remodeled into a premier men's basketball practice facility. The funds are available but the timing is not right.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

What is Creighton building on its parking lot just south of Cuming?  I could be crazy but it looks like solar panels?
omaja
Library Board

Post by omaja »

Saw that today on my way to the airport and that's what it looked like to me, too, Brad.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

There was an article in the OWH about it a month or two back. I can't remember all the details, but it's a pretty ambitious plan and they were awarded some big grant to do it, I think.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

It is not only solar panels but the "Largest solar array in Nebraska" and Wind Turbines!  Really cool!

Creighton's Sustainability Efforts Increase with New Alternative Energy Project

http://www.creighton.edu/publicrelation ... /index.php
www.creighton.edu wrote:Creighton University will harness Nebraska's sunshine and wind this spring as the University begins assembling a large array of solar panels and wind turbines at various locations across campus. When completed, the solar array will be the largest in the state.

The alternative energy project will be part of a new degree program for students studying technology and applied science in the College of Arts and Sciences. They will have research opportunities to assist with the building of the solar array, which will be located in a University parking lot.

The $1.4 million project is a collaborative effort with Omaha Public Power District (OPPD); 1.14 million of that will be funded by federal funds requested by Rep. Lee Terry and Sen. Ben Nelson. The U. S. Department of Energy will administer the money as part of its mission to promote renewable energy. An additional $1.2 million will fund the development of the curriculum for the degree program. Creighton will also serve as a resource for OPPD customers contemplating the use of alternative energy projects on commercial sites.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

There is something strangely familiar about this story?  Can you help me figure out what it is?    :;):

http://www.omaha.com/article/20100707/B ... /707089847

Brent Vigness was looking forward to a good night’s sleep Wednesday.

It’s been almost two weeks since Vigness had rested peacefully. First, he found himself tossing and turning as he wrestled with the decision whether to leave the Creighton softball program after 17 years as coach to accept a similar job at Wisconsin.

Then, after taking the Wisconsin position, Vigness badgered himself about whether he had made the right decision.

“I had a sense of relief for about one day, the day they made the announcement,’’ said Vigness, referring to July 1. “Since then, things just did not feel right.’’

Wednesday morning, Vigness made an unscheduled visit to his former boss, Creighton Athletic Director Bruce Rasmussen. By the time the two men were finished talking, Rasmussen was again Vigness’ boss.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

nebugeater wrote:There is something strangely familiar about this story?  Can you help me figure out what it is?    :;):

http://www.omaha.com/article/20100707/B ... /707089847

Brent Vigness was looking forward to a good night’s sleep Wednesday.

It’s been almost two weeks since Vigness had rested peacefully. First, he found himself tossing and turning as he wrestled with the decision whether to leave the Creighton softball program after 17 years as coach to accept a similar job at Wisconsin.

Then, after taking the Wisconsin position, Vigness badgered himself about whether he had made the right decision.

“I had a sense of relief for about one day, the day they made the announcement,’’ said Vigness, referring to July 1. “Since then, things just did not feel right.’’

Wednesday morning, Vigness made an unscheduled visit to his former boss, Creighton Athletic Director Bruce Rasmussen. By the time the two men were finished talking, Rasmussen was again Vigness’ boss.
How long til Altman comes back again? :)
Go Cubs Go
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

On the NW corner of 19th and Cuming Street, it looks like they tore down a building and a parking lot. Anything interesting happening there?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

It looks like they will still be parking in the lot, the solar panels are raised!
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Brad wrote:It looks like they will still be parking in the lot, the solar panels are raised!
Raised or razed?
Stable genius.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Big E wrote:
Brad wrote:It looks like they will still be parking in the lot, the solar panels are raised!
Raised or razed?
Solar Panels elevated above surface parking.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Photo Update 7/21/2010

Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

I wouldn't mind seeing something along those lines as a requirement of any new surface lot development in the city over X square feet.

Maybe even require during redevelopment/repair of existing (similar to how ADA rules work).
Stable genius.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

it's such a simple and great idea.  You'd think something like that would take off like crazy because (aside from collecting the sun's energy), it provides shade for people to park under and keep their cars cool which is a big plus right now.  It's just too bad that it costs about 7x as much as oil or gas.
Go Cubs Go
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

I went past there last weekend; it really does look great.  I wouldn't be surprised to see more of these as solar prices continue to decline (and especially if oil prices rise and LEED credits become more flexible for this type of project).
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

What a fantastic development on the Creighton campus.  Shows what some forward and progressive thinking can do.  I too hope to see much more of this around town.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Creighton will tap solar power

http://www.omaha.com/article/20100812/N ... olar-power
Zack Colman WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Creighton University — here comes the sun.

Solar panels are now permanent fixtures in a Creighton parking lot along Cuming Street, on the roof of the campus fitness center and next to the school's theater, part of a $2.6 million project funded mostly by the federal government.

The juice on the solar panels will start to flow Friday when the project is complete.

The panels will produce approximately 110 kilowatts of power on a sunny day, enough energy to power about 30 average houses.

The project will also make the university Nebraska's largest supplier of solar power.