Creighton Campus Development

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, Omaha Cowboy, Brad, nebugeater

eomaha
County Board

Postby eomaha » Wed Feb 11, 2004 2:37 pm

Creighton expansion continues...

The basic soccer field was completed last year for the soccer stadium...

Phase II completes the 5,000 seat stadium...

and of course the new student housing is coming right along...

What will be the most appealing part of Creightons new expansion... is
all the green space, walkways, plazas and fountains which
they intend to add.  In addition to new benches, lampposts
and signs campus wide.  Right now... it's hard to figure out where exactly the campus ends at in the east... once this is all completed, it will be well defined... and much more attractive.

DMRyan
Human Relations

Postby DMRyan » Wed Feb 11, 2004 9:29 pm

Wow, I hadn't seen much of this before. The streetscaping looks great! It'll be nice to see a whole district with its own look and feel carved out that corner of downtown.

Is Creighton building any other buildings currently?

eomaha
County Board

Postby eomaha » Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:54 pm

Mostly stuff wrapping up...

This project is nearing completion... just south of the Creighton University Medical Center hospital... which is on the extreme west end of the campus...

Of course the new Creighton Science Center finished last year... it will anchor a new pedestrian plaza named for alum/passed away Columbia shuttle astronaut Michael Anderson (Michael Anderson Memorial Plaza).

StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Postby StreetsOfOmaha » Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:27 pm

Ha! I was actually just looking at this on Creighton's website yesterday! Crazy.

But yeah, the new stadium, the beautiful new student housing, combined with the development of North Downtown all the way to the riverfront will make for quite an amazing district. This is all very exciting!
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963

sokkerdewd
Home Owners Association

thanks

Postby sokkerdewd » Fri Feb 13, 2004 5:17 pm

Thanks for the pictures! I had no idea...

Finn
Parks & Recreation

Postby Finn » Tue May 23, 2006 11:52 am

We have talked about construction/development on CU's campus before (Living/Learning Center, soccer stadium, new parking garages, new housing, etc). However, the information is spread across several topics and I thought Creighton deserved its own topic with all the campus improvements underway!

Here is the latest:

Construction should commence on the $50 million, 200,000-square-foot, 4-story Living/Learning Center this fall. It will be located northeast of 21st and California Streets (former location of the Epsen Hillmer Graphics building). It will include a sports café, indoor/outdoor latte bar, 500-seat multi-use auditorium, 10 standard size classrooms, 10 seminar rooms, a bookstore and a 7,000-square-foot exercise space. The Living Learning Center is anticipating a Fall 2008 completion.

Finn
Parks & Recreation

Postby Finn » Tue May 23, 2006 12:15 pm

It is great that the expansion and architecture has Creighton becoming more of a traditional "campus."

Greg S
County Board

Postby Greg S » Wed May 24, 2006 10:50 am

Creighton has been great to this city's development the last few years. I just wish they would get on board with the DT baseball stadium with the Royals.

Greg

Vince Furlong
Home Owners Association

Postby Vince Furlong » Wed May 24, 2006 11:23 am

Looking at Finn's specs above, I am wondering.....

1. How friendly will these buidlings be to the street and the surrounding buildings, i.e., will they face the street, be easily accessible from the sidewalks, limit parking in front, etc.?

2. Will these be public-use facilities, i.e, the sports cafe, latte spot, bookstore, etc?

Hopefully, we will see Creighton become "neighborhood-friendly" with these sites. Omaha needs a better connect between its universities and the surrounding public.

Vince Furlong

omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Postby omahastylee459 » Wed May 24, 2006 1:23 pm

for the most part, the majority of creighton buildings are right up to the street. I know they just built a parking garage and have plans for more, so surface lots are minimal, and becoming more scarce as more buildings are being erected. Also, as with other universities, I am pretty sure that the new student center will be open to the public. I have never had any problems walking into the current student center there. If anyone has any other information, feel free to interject.

OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Postby OmahaChef » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:02 pm

A shiny yellow crane was erected last week, and is spinning daily!  It's nice to see a "real" crane again.
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.

Brad
City Council

Postby Brad » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:35 pm

OmahaChef wrote:A shiny yellow crane was erected last week, and is spinning daily!  It's nice to see a "real" crane again.

Probably has not been one in DTO since the Holland.  I think I have a picture of it I took last sunday somewhere?
Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
http://www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
http://www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
@bradwphoto on Twitter
Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce Member

Brad
City Council

Postby Brad » Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:38 pm

Here is the crane and the construction site:

@bradwphoto on Twitter

StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Postby StreetsOfOmaha » Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:52 am

Thanks for those pics.

I'm so happy to see Creighton's continued expansion and growth.  I wish UNO was expanding as fast.

I can't believe how tall that crane is!!!
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."

Brad
City Council

Postby Brad » Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:34 am

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Thanks for those pics.

I'm so happy to see Creighton's continued expansion and growth.  I wish UNO was expanding as fast.

I can't believe how tall that crane is!!!

Wait until spring... The baseball Highlights! that crane is just past the right field fence at Creighton's Stadium!
@bradwphoto on Twitter

ModestMouse
Home Owners Association

Postby ModestMouse » Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:28 pm

As far as UNO goes, I honestly think that until they break away from the University of Nebraska system they won't be able to grow.

Just too much politicking around for UNO to really grow. Thats just how I feel about it.

StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Postby StreetsOfOmaha » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:51 pm

ModestMouse wrote:As far as UNO goes, I honestly think that until they break away from the University of Nebraska system they won't be able to grow.

Just too much politicking around for UNO to really grow. Thats just how I feel about it.

I totally agree.

MTO
City Council

Postby MTO » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:40 pm

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:
ModestMouse wrote:As far as UNO goes, I honestly think that until they break away from the University of Nebraska system they won't be able to grow.

I totally agree.

If only we had enough powerful people thinking that way.  It would be cutting the chains loose to say the least.
15-17, 26, 32

Uffda
Planning Board

Postby Uffda » Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:55 am

how do you cut a public university out of the public education system? Even if you name it Omaha State University (and I think there already are a few OSUs)  -- it is still under the same funding umbrella.

Raraavis
Library Board

Postby Raraavis » Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:42 pm

Other states have multiple independent Universities that aren't part of a single University system.  The Board of Regents would simply Administer a second University System in addition to the University of Nebraska System.  

I always thought UNO and UNMC should be combined into one University independent of UNL.

HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Postby HskrFanMike » Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:52 pm

Cutting off UNO from the rest of the University system would be a death sentence for UNO.  UNO wouldn't receive more money, and likely would end up being cut off from state funding.  The city wouldn't fund it either, and UNO would slowly starve.
Blog:  http://huskermike.blogspot.com

Uffda
Planning Board

Postby Uffda » Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:56 pm

Other states have multiple independent Universities that aren't part of a single University system

just curious --- which states?

Asten
Human Relations

Postby Asten » Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:50 pm

Uffda wrote:
Other states have multiple independent Universities that aren't part of a single University system

Iowa for one.  U of Iowa, Iowa State, and University of Northern Iowa are all independent universities under one state board of regents.

Uffda
Planning Board

Postby Uffda » Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:51 pm

OK so not being a NE native how is the NE system different?  does everything go through UNL to get to all the other colleges -- UNL UNO UNK Chadron?

ModestMouse
Home Owners Association

Postby ModestMouse » Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:52 pm

yes, iowa has the system

as does Kansas, etc.

most states around nebraska has public universities besides it.

in fact, in nebraska, Wayne State, public university, isn't a part of the University of Nebraska university, but a public university within nebraska.

There are TWO public university systems in Nebraska.

the university of nebraska system and the nebraska state college system

Honestly, UNO will not just simply die if it breaks away.

Most universities don't die, they become smaller, but most of them are still there.

Admin
Law Enforcement

Postby Admin » Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:12 pm

OK - enough about UNO on a Creighton thread. Let us continue discussing Creighton's development here.

Harpoon
Human Relations

Postby Harpoon » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:52 pm

Uffda wrote:

Minnesota is another. You have Minnesota State-Mankato, Moorhead State, Southwest State, Bemidji State, St. Cloud State, and Winona State. All of these are separate from the University of Minnesota system which has campuses in Crookston, Duluth, Morris, Twin Cities, and formerly Waseca before it was sold and became a prison.

Coyote
City Council

Postby Coyote » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:02 pm

Creighton? Creighton? Isn't  this a CU thread?

mchine73
Home Owners Association

Postby mchine73 » Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:41 pm

Being a senior, it crazy how much this place has changed in four years.  I remember my senior year of high school we got ripped EERRR buzzed from soda, and watched the implosion of the old PJs on 20th just about four years ago this week or last. Go to 20th and Burt today and it's hard to believe that in like 1996 someone was found shot to death in the bus shelter in front of that building. Since then they've really been on a tear in development.  Now there seems to be a real push on improving the academic programs at least the business school.  I know the new business dean and Fr. Shlegel want to bring Creighton down from the ivory hill.

Coyote
City Council

Postby Coyote » Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:26 pm

[font=Georgia]Harper's gift to benefit Creighton[/font]

Omaha World Herald wrote:The former chairman of ConAgra Foods Inc. has given Creighton University one of its largest-ever gifts, school officials said today. Charles "Mike" Harper's donation will be used to operate a 214,000-square-foot student union under construction on the eastern edge of the campus. The building, which is scheduled to open in the summer of 2008, will be named for Harper and his late wife, Josie.

The Harper center, at 21st and California Streets, also will serve as the new "front door" to campus as Creighton grows toward downtown. "I greatly admire Father Schlegel's and other leaders' strategic vision expanding the campus eastward," Harper said in a statement. "This downtown renaissance certainly reinforces the decision made years ago to anchor ConAgra on the edge of the Missouri River." The school also hopes to use the drive to build a $1 billion endowment.

Big E
City Council

Postby Big E » Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:53 pm

I'm sure I don't have to point out the irony in any of this.

But hey... cool building at least.

-Big E
"The above statement was not intended to be factual."

Vince Furlong
Home Owners Association

Postby Vince Furlong » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:33 pm

I note in the WH story that this student building will contain a 2-story bookstore and a coffee shop.
Does anyone know if these will be accessible to the public?  I hope so....this would be a plus for the "west side" of North Downtown and help make CU more accessible to the city.  Further, this kind of "retail" might encourage additional non-CU commercial development in the immediate area - small restaurant(s), used bookstore, music store, funky clothier.....you know, the usual "college town" suspects.

Our local universities need to foster more local economic development a la Penn U.  Ohio State....

Vince Furlong
OMAHA MAIN STREETS

Big E
City Council

Postby Big E » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:58 pm

Uffda wrote:

Actually, I don't think you could find a state that DOESN'T have multiple independent universities (MAYBE Alaska?).  Now, be sure you're defining university, college, etc, the same.

-Big E

Uffda
Planning Board

Postby Uffda » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:49 pm

state that DOESN'T have multiple independent universities

Wyoming   :lol:  oops and South Dakota

Big E
City Council

Postby Big E » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:54 pm

Uffda wrote:
state that DOESN'T have multiple independent universities

Wyoming   :lol:  oops and South Dakota

Is your criteria based on receiving funds from the state?

-Big E

Uffda
Planning Board

Postby Uffda » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:08 pm

All I asked a lonnnnnnnnng time ago was which states....  you seemed to have resurfaced it....... Wyoming has one university. South Dakota has one Board of Regents for all the colleges and universities (soon to have two Div 1 schools). I don't know what other states have.... those are the two states I have lived in besides NE.

Big E
City Council

Postby Big E » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:36 pm

Sorry...  wasn't attacking you or intentionally participating in a thread revival.  

-Big E

mchine73
Home Owners Association

Postby mchine73 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:33 pm

I would assume this would be open to the public.  I know currently you see quite a few Central students in the student center after school now.  That being said, I would expect it to be very "accessible" to anyone other than those making a specific trip to Creighton because the site is essentially surround for several blocks on each side by Creighton property.  As it is I think this is a great project and will make a statement, but really may turn into an inconvenience as I would suspect most students(those freshmen and sophomores who live in the dorms and upper classmen who live off campus) hardly make it east of 24th.[/quote]

Coyote
City Council

Postby Coyote » Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:21 pm

[font=Georgia]Creighton's president outlines an ambitious plan[/font]

Omaha World Herald wrote:Schlegel hopes to start new graduate programs in the health sciences, social sciences and nursing fields in 2007, he said.  He'd like to continue to increase enrollment by creating new graduate programs. Creighton's total enrollment is nearly 7,000 this year, an all-time high. Schlegel wants to replace the university's run-down freshman residence halls with a combination of new and renovated buildings during the next few years.

Finn
Parks & Recreation

Postby Finn » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:23 pm

but really may turn into an inconvenience as I would suspect most students(those freshmen and sophomores who live in the dorms and upper classmen who live off campus) hardly make it east of 24th

That will change soon!

Return to “Urban Omaha Development”