Creighton Campus Development

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Re: Creighton Campus Development

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Personally I think it would be better if Creighton expanded eastward. They could definitely help jump start the slow redevelopment of North Downtown.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Coyote wrote:So it is going in on the NW corner of 24th & Cuming, leaving the McDonalds, but taking out that strip mall and the Soccer practice field. From the pics it should add a nice presence to the campus, but with only outpatient rooms, it doesn't address the need St Joseph's will leave behind.
I didn't realize how large the plot of land was for this. I suppose they will have room for parking, but the lot still seems really big for a 90K SF building and the parking for it.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

The plot of land that this calls for is 1,680,000 sq ft.... I wonder if other stuff is going to come along with this.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Garrett wrote:The plot of land that this calls for is 1,680,000 sq ft.... I wonder if other stuff is going to come along with this.
From 24th St. to 25th Ave., from Cuming to Indiana, 12 acres!

iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

We they are referring to the project as "University Campus." That might suggest they have more long term plans for the area.
Al Buterol
Home Owners Association

Post by Al Buterol »

iamjacobm wrote:We they are referring to the project as "University Campus."  That might suggest they have more long term plans for the area.
Or it could just set the stage for the University Campus, and the Bergan Mercy Campus, since both are part of the Academic Medical Center proper.

As far as the old hospital, the University owns it and not Alegent Creighton Health, so they are kind of in a bind as to what to do with it since Boys Town is part of the deal.

New name for ACH comes out tomorrow I think......
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

iamjacobm wrote:We they are referring to the project as "University Campus."  That might suggest they have more long term plans for the area.
If this is the area the CUMC is going on, and, looking at the building as defined...

iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Unless I am looking at this wrong I don't think this will front Cuming. I think there will be a parking lot in front.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

iamjacobm wrote:Unless I am looking at this wrong I don't think this will front Cuming.  I think there will be a parking lot in front.
I was trying to orient the building myself. Is the front facing 25th? And the parking along Cuming?
I thought you may have been right. But then thinking of the slope going north...
I'll have to drive by again to see the elevation differences...
Notice the stairwell on the left of the first rendering.
But if it fronts 25th ave, that drive up circle means...
Of course no emergency entrance...
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

This was the quote from the article attached to the second rendering you posted.
This rendering of Creighton University Medical Center’s University Campus looks north down 24th Street from Cuming. The facility will be on a 12-acre site, most of which already has been acquired by Alegent Creighton.

Based on that wording I feel like that rendering is looking from the intersection with the McD's out of frame to the left. If I had to guess I think the building will be about as far back from the street as the NE part of the strip mall is.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I missed that quote. But I did read that they wanted to add to the 24th St. streestscape. Again, I'll have to do a drive by.
So it will be regressed behind McD and the BP on the other side of 24th?... Parking all along Cuming?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Yeah I can't really tell right now, just guessing. I personally would much rather see it front Cuming and have parking on 24th if I had to chose between the two. Cuming could use some street frontage to make the street more attractive.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

You know, just thinking off the top... I can see the positives for both options.
The North Omaha projects would love to see a cool front on the 24th St Streetscape there.
(Although the streetscape sucks until Hamilton?)
The Creighton Campus would look way cooler with a Cuming St front.
The more I think about it, its all about that slope. Would street level parking be easier to incorporate into the project along Cuming?
SaveOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by SaveOmaha »

I'm upset about all the little houses being demolished, but I'm excited about the potential this project has to make a positive impact on Cuming St.
Last edited by SaveOmaha on Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blueblood
Home Owners Association

Post by blueblood »

Next decision for Creighton is the dental school. It currently is connected to the hospital, loaded with asbestos and needs work. There are plans on the table to either remodel it or build an entire new one. Estimates in the 60 million to remodel and 90 million to build new. Decision will be made this year. If they build new it will be East of interstate. They are in the initial stages of assessing funding and donations that could support either option. Could be Fr. Lannon's last contribution. Dental alumni do not have $$ levels to pull it off so selling point will be the enormous contribution the school makes to the surrounding area in regards to dental care. Some big boys are on board already. The dental and pharmacy schools currently operate profitably.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

blueblood wrote:Next decision for Creighton is the dental school. It currently is connected to the hospital, loaded with asbestos and needs work. There are plans on the table to either remodel it or build an entire new one. Estimates in the 60 million to remodel and 90 million to build new.  Decision will be made this year.  If they build new it will be East of interstate. They are in the initial stages of assessing funding and donations that could support either option. Could be Fr. Lannon's last contribution. Dental alumni do not have $$ levels to pull it off so selling point will be the enormous contribution the school makes to the surrounding area in regards to dental care. Some big boys are on board already. The dental and pharmacy schools currently operate profitably.
So potentially a part of this "University Campus" Medical land do you think?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

So what happens to the attached Boystown Hospital?
blueblood
Home Owners Association

Post by blueblood »

Brad wrote:So what happens to the attached Boystown Hospital?

There is also a really nice library connected to the dental school. Not sure on that either. The hospital has been looked at to house the dental school but was deemed not workable

Someone mentioned above about some sort of a "connector" going over the interstate. Actually there were plans for that. We are talking about maybe 30 or 40 years ago but there were plans for a building or bridge over the interstate. It was serious enough that i remember an article in the OWH with drawings. One of the issues was who owned the air space above the interstate.
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

Brad wrote:So what happens to the attached Boystown Hospital?
My understanding is that they're staying put where they are. I have several friends that are researchers there, and they haven't said anything about relocating. I'll inquire more though.

It will be interesting to see how they unravel BTNRH and the dental school from the main hospital building. Besides what I'd assume are shared physical plant type stuff, there's also cafeteria, etc that would all need to be sorted out...
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Requested $265K in tax credits due to the Historic Tax Credit program for St. John's church.
Lillian Bean
Home Owners Association

Post by Lillian Bean »

iamjacobm wrote:Requested $265K in tax credits due to the Historic Tax Credit program for St. John's church.
It seems weird to me that a group that doesn't pay taxes can apply for tax credits. I realize they will just sell them off if awarded, it just doesn't seem fair.
Thinking there's not a whole lot to say anymore now that people listen & she has to make sense.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

How much longer until the transient shelter is relocated?
15-17, 26, 32
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

iamjacobm wrote:Requested $265K in tax credits due to the Historic Tax Credit program for St. John's church.
Are there plans for this structure? I did a search and didn't come up with anything in past discussions.
Lillian Bean
Home Owners Association

Post by Lillian Bean »

Seth wrote:
Are there plans for this structure?  I did a search and didn't come up with anything in past discussions.
They just completed an approximately $1,000,000 elevator addition. I believe there are also plans to restore/repair some of the exterior masonry. That's all I know about.
Thinking there's not a whole lot to say anymore now that people listen & she has to make sense.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Coyote wrote:
If this is the area the CUMC is going on, and, looking at the building as defined...

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Did CHI every release new renderings. The renderings in this thread are the old renderings.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

$35M CHI Health clinic in north Omaha hits speed bump; owner of 5 lots says he deserves more for his land
CHI Health has begun demolition and earthwork at 24th and Cuming Streets, but five vacant lots nearby could pose a legal speed bump to plans for a $35 million medical building at the site...The city is considering seeking eminent domain authority to forcibly acquire the properties if an agreement can’t be reached with Morello.

CHI Health officials have said they expect to complete construction in late 2016. They don’t expect the land-acquisition wrangling to change that.
Morello’s lots are in an area that CHI Health site plans show as a parking garage for a second phase of the development.

jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Not to hijack the thread, but this quote from the article interested me.
“We’ve got people who are sitting on things for 20 years or more, thinking they’re going to get a huge payday,” City Councilman Ben Gray said.

For example: http://web.archive.org/web/201305300551 ... roads.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

I'll bet Morello, the owner of several small lots in the proposed CHI development area, would protest loudly if the county assessor valued his property, for tax purposes, close to the same amount he wants to sell it for. What a tool. Mort is a piece of work too. They should just build around his property.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
mr. omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by mr. omaha »

I agree. Build around the lots, put up a 6' privacy fence where they can to fence in the detritus, then have the City start dropping fine after fine on the property owner for failure to maintain his grounds (grass cutting, trash, dumping, etc.)... Just a thought.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

jessep28 wrote:For example: http://web.archive.org/web/201305300551 ... roads.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Was that website for real? If I had $2 million to invest in property development, I'm pretty sure that would have scared me away.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Seth wrote:
jessep28 wrote:For example: http://web.archive.org/web/201305300551 ... roads.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Was that website for real?  If I had $2 million to invest in property development, I'm pretty sure that would have scared me away.
I have no doubt that it was real. Mort's website even advertises the land: http://www.mortsullivan.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Oh mylanta I needed that website today.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

So is this land wanted now for parking or for future buildings? That is a pretty big swath of land that won't have the building on it.

I suppose they just want to lock it down now at the lower price b/c the value will surely go up with a new building sitting right next door.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

jessep28 wrote:I have no doubt that it was real. Mort's website even advertises the land: http://www.mortsullivan.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Is that for real, or a total joke?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Planning board approves the vacation of 21st and 22ns streets from Burt to Cuming on CU's campus.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Creighton's new sculpture honoring Jesuits is 20 feet tall, features flame that will remain lit day, night
School officials unveiled on Thursday a sculpture by artist and Creighton professor Littleton Alston called “The Flame.”
The stainless steel sculpture stands over 20 feet tall and features a flame that will remain lit day and night.
“The Flame” is located near 20th and Cass Streets within the campus’s pedestrian mall. An inscription etched in Latin and English — “Go set the world on fire” — is attributed to St. Ignatius of Loyola, the 16th century founder of the Society of Jesus.

Alston said he chose cast stainless steel for the sculpture because of the way the material will interact with the flame. During daytime, he said, the polished surface will be bright in appearance. At night, it will become more subdued as the fire inside becomes more visible and reflects off the surface.

iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Creighton was busy knocking down more buildings on Cuming today.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote:Creighton was busy knocking down more buildings on Cuming today.
Coyote is out getting photos of it right now. SW corner of 20th and Cuming.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

iamjacobm wrote:Creighton was busy knocking down more buildings on Cuming today.
You beat me to the punch:

1) The building on the NW corner of 21st and Burt is gone as seen in the second pic.
2) The buildings on the north side of the 2000-2100 Cuming/Burt block are being demoed right now as seen in the third pic