Creighton Campus Development

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

Re: Creighton Campus Development

Post by PotatoeEatsFish »

guest2017 wrote:The dental clinic is 21st and Cuming. The university also owns the block north of Cuming from 19th-21st.

I'm curious what the move for the Boyne Building is? Demolish both Boyne and Bio Information Center and put something new in? Bio Information is used for several of their health programs. Sell it off and develop the land into something else - that's a pretty big piece of land. They also own the parking low to the west of the Roberts/Hiland Dairy facility. Just my opinion, but they made a great move nabbing up all those Modern Equipment buildings in 08. They probably got a heck of a deal too.

In non actual updates, but dreamland, I'd love to see them move the ROTC building off Cuming Street, get rid of the on-campus baseball field, build a nicer softball "stadium," and infill on the south side of the mall leading to the soccer stadium (across from the championship center), and infill across from Campion house (and put something in that building, which are kind of cool row houses from a while back).

To the people who want "high rises" from an urban college - trust me, students don't want those (and forgive me for pointing out that Creighton's focus is getting students to go there - not pleasing forum readers). The campus needs green/open space - and, I for one, believe Creighton has done a great job with campus development - the only buildings that look odd are the bunker-like library and the oddly paired McGloin and FPA building. One of the biggest complaints is waiting for elevators - you get rid of the mass need for elevators (read: students using them, not bypassing ADA) when you put in 2-4 story buildings. The Hixson-Lied Building is five floors (if I recall right) and I'd say that is the high-end for non-residential housing. Even with the new dorms (Opus/Davis), those are 4 floors.
My brother's dorm is in a high-rise in UNL. He doesn't mind it. Whats wrong with living in a high rise?
:what:
#SaveTheUglyGrainSilos2024
guest2017
Home Owners Association

Post by guest2017 »

PotatoeEatsFish wrote:
guest2017 wrote:The dental clinic is 21st and Cuming. The university also owns the block north of Cuming from 19th-21st.

I'm curious what the move for the Boyne Building is? Demolish both Boyne and Bio Information Center and put something new in? Bio Information is used for several of their health programs. Sell it off and develop the land into something else - that's a pretty big piece of land. They also own the parking low to the west of the Roberts/Hiland Dairy facility. Just my opinion, but they made a great move nabbing up all those Modern Equipment buildings in 08. They probably got a heck of a deal too.

In non actual updates, but dreamland, I'd love to see them move the ROTC building off Cuming Street, get rid of the on-campus baseball field, build a nicer softball "stadium," and infill on the south side of the mall leading to the soccer stadium (across from the championship center), and infill across from Campion house (and put something in that building, which are kind of cool row houses from a while back).

To the people who want "high rises" from an urban college - trust me, students don't want those (and forgive me for pointing out that Creighton's focus is getting students to go there - not pleasing forum readers). The campus needs green/open space - and, I for one, believe Creighton has done a great job with campus development - the only buildings that look odd are the bunker-like library and the oddly paired McGloin and FPA building. One of the biggest complaints is waiting for elevators - you get rid of the mass need for elevators (read: students using them, not bypassing ADA) when you put in 2-4 story buildings. The Hixson-Lied Building is five floors (if I recall right) and I'd say that is the high-end for non-residential housing. Even with the new dorms (Opus/Davis), those are 4 floors.
My brother's dorm is in a high-rise in UNL. He doesn't mind it. Whats wrong with living in a high rise?
:what:
Is he one of them that got stuck living in the common area of the dorm hall because they're over crowded? I didn't say anything was wrong with living in high rises - I don't think high rises are good buildings outside of dorm halls. Also, there's a big difference in expectations when you have 25,000 students and paying $6,500 a year vs. 8,000 students paying $36,000 a year.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Caught a little of the demolition of the last building on the CHI Parking property. McCarthy was using this building until they got the shell up on the hospital and then they moved inside and now will start building parking where this building was.

Bluejays93
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Bluejays93 »

Noticed that there is a construction trailer on the southwest corner of 20th and Cuming. I think this might be for the construction of the new dental school. I heard a rumor that construction is supposed to start next month and take approximately two years.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Bluejays93 wrote:Noticed that there is a construction trailer on the southwest corner of 20th and Cuming. I think this might be for the construction of the new dental school. I heard a rumor that construction is supposed to start next month and take approximately two years.
Thanks BlueJay 93, and welcome to eOmahaForums!
Bluejays93
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Bluejays93 »

Groundbreaking of the new dental school will take place next month with an estimated opening in August 2018.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Bluejays93 wrote:Groundbreaking of the new dental school will take place next month with an estimated opening in August 2018.
Groundbreaking was today.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

New CUMC facility is just what the doctor ordered for north Omaha

http://www.omaha.com/livewellnebraska/n ... b32c0.html
By Julie Anderson / World-Herald staff writer wrote:Creighton University’s Medical Center — the old St. Joseph Hospital — will soon close its doors, but it won’t be leaving the neighborhood behind: It’s opening day for the long-planned community health center at 24th and Cuming Streets.

Today, clinics and a retail pharmacy open on the second floor of the new 86,000-square-foot, $36.5 million Creighton University Medical Center University Campus at 2412 Cuming St. The clinics will be staffed by physicians and other health care professionals in family medicine, internal medicine, women’s health and cardiology.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Creighton dental

15-17, 26, 32
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Creighton upgrading the DJ Sokol Arena. Looks sweet!

http://www.gocreighton.com/sports/2015/ ... aspx?id=34

Here are some of the main renderings, there are a few more on the website.
Creighton wrote:1.

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

New Creighton Dental School.

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I did a quick search and didn't find much on this project, but,
Creighton's Brandeis Dining Hall is getting a $2.5 m makeover.
bones
New to the Neighborhood

Post by bones »

Coyote wrote:I did a quick search and didn't find much on this project, but,
Do you have any more info you can share on this? If I remember correctly, that dining hall underwent some major renovations relatively recently.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

bones wrote:
Do you have any more info you can share on this? If I remember correctly, that dining hall underwent some major renovations relatively recently.
That is what surprised me also... Another makeover? But as it stands today $2.5m. I have asked all of my Sodexo contacts and they couldn't say... It's a Creighton renovation.
Lillian Bean
Home Owners Association

Post by Lillian Bean »

Coyote wrote:
bones wrote:
That is what surprised me also... Another makeover? But as it stands today $2.5m. I have asked all of my Sodexo contacts and they couldn't say... It's a Creighton renovation.
It's primarily modifications to the kitchen and food prep areas. The College of Pharmacy was in the basement of Brandeis and moved out recently. The dining hall will take over this space and turn it into kitchen space. There will be some minor modifications to the dining space, but not a major renovation.
Thinking there's not a whole lot to say anymore now that people listen & she has to make sense.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

From the World Herald:

skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

A New Women's Practice Facility
A new, $4.5 million women's practice gym will complete the east campus athletic corridor. Fewer student-athletes will miss practice because of tight gym and classroom schedules, and all Bluejay student-athletes will benefit. Designed primarily for volleyball and women's basketball, this facility acknowledges the hardworking, talented coaches and student-athletes Creighton hopes to retain. Furthermore, Creighton Athletics is looking forward to sharing this facility with the entire Omaha community.

It will provide an alternative 16,109 square-foot space to ensure both programs have ample court time to develop as a team and individual athletes. Construction on the new facility is scheduled to begin in early 2018.

obvious2677
Library Board

Post by obvious2677 »

Creighton's new women's practice facility video
[youtube][/youtube]
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Say goodbye to these two buildings south of Cuming St,
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (103.97 KiB) Viewed 6311 times
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

What will be taking their place?
obvious2677
Library Board

Post by obvious2677 »

Louie wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 12:57 pm What will be taking their place?
The plan is athletics, I believe. When is the better question.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

obvious2677 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 8:44 pm
Louie wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 12:57 pm What will be taking their place?
The plan is athletics, I believe. When is the better question.
Hopefully soon.
bones
New to the Neighborhood

Post by bones »

CU will be building a new dorm pending board approval South East of Burt and 24th (currently surface parking), construction to begin this summer and conclude in 2022. 24th Street will also be reduced to one lane both ways through the campus with some beautification work going on, to be started this summer and concluded prior to classes resuming in the fall. Finally, there are rumors about CU announcing a master campus plan and an accompanying capital campaign project in the coming months.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

bones wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:40 pm CU will be building a new dorm pending board approval South East of Burt and 24th (currently surface parking), construction to begin this summer and conclude in 2022. 24th Street will also be reduced to one lane both ways through the campus with some beautification work going on, to be started this summer and concluded prior to classes resuming in the fall. Finally, there are rumors about CU announcing a master campus plan and an accompanying capital campaign project in the coming months.
https://www.creightonian.com/news/artic ... d0985.html

skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Looks great...really like the aesthetic look of the roundabout.
Taco
Human Relations

Post by Taco »

Design looks very nice. Will be interesting to see how the bike lanes work and if they connect to the other lanes planned to the north on 24th. In the article they mention ORBT stations, have they announced another route already?
bones
New to the Neighborhood

Post by bones »

Taco wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:24 am Design looks very nice. Will be interesting to see how the bike lanes work and if they connect to the other lanes planned to the north on 24th. In the article they mention ORBT stations, have they announced another route already?
I saw that too and figured it was a mistake or poorly worded and was referring to the ORBT stations at 24th and Dodge/Douglas, but the labeled rendering refers to transit stations right on CUs campus, so perhaps there is something more in the works
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

The article about ORBT in the OWH today said that if the Dodge line is successful a South 24th / North 30th line is next
BIGO88
Home Owners Association

Post by BIGO88 »

Here is a video of this new project. Should be a nice improvement for this area and Creighton.

skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Looks good, thanks for posting.
JDJase
Home Owners Association

Post by JDJase »

24th Street Project is complete.

S.O.Boy
Human Relations

Post by S.O.Boy »

This is good for Creighton.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Any new word on the aforementioned dorm?
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

I’ve heard nothing about the Dorm, but Wow what a great upgrade for the streetscape!
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Nice to see that done. Sometimes the areas under the 480 overpass can be forgotten but this is a nice upgrade to the whole area.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Creighton gets Werner donation to help erect $75 million health sciences building

Creighton University revealed a plan Tuesday to build a new $75 million health sciences facility at its downtown Omaha campus, with major funding from C.L. and Rachel Werner.

The building will house classrooms, a simulation center and other programs. It will stand south of Cuming Street and east of U.S. Highway 75 on what is now a faculty-staff parking lot. The building is scheduled for completion in fall 2023.

Creighton's health sciences and medical programs currently are in the Criss Complex near North 27th Plaza and Burt Street. The Criss Complex will get its own $10 renovation, so the total project cost is $85 million.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

skinzfan23 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:47 pm Creighton gets Werner donation to help erect $75 million health sciences building

Creighton University revealed a plan Tuesday to build a new $75 million health sciences facility at its downtown Omaha campus, with major funding from C.L. and Rachel Werner.

The building will house classrooms, a simulation center and other programs. It will stand south of Cuming Street and east of U.S. Highway 75 on what is now a faculty-staff parking lot. The building is scheduled for completion in fall 2023.

Creighton's health sciences and medical programs currently are in the Criss Complex near North 27th Plaza and Burt Street. The Criss Complex will get its own $10 renovation, so the total project cost is $85 million.
Just read the article. Another great addition to the campus. I love that it is off of Cuming and replacing some surface parking off the main thoroughfare.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

In addition to the image above, here is another view CU Provided with he media release, it's labeled "Northwest".

*Renderings credit: RDG Planning and Design
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

By the looks of it, it will take up the western portion of the parking lot, at the corner of 27th & Cuming, with much of the eastern part of the lot remaining.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

Brad wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:32 pm In addition to the image above, here is another view CU Provided with he media release, it's labeled "Northwest".

*Renderings credit: RDG Planning and Design
I like this additional angle. It looks reminiscent of the dental school building.