Creighton Campus Development

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Raraavis
Library Board

Post by Raraavis »

When I went to the University of Iowa in the early 1990's they had a dinning area in the Student Union that served beer.   You could even charge the beers on you student ID and they added it to your monthly bill.   They also had an upscale restaurant in the same building that had a full bar.  They didn't have any trouble.  It was much easier to drink underage off campus.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

It's just a matter of time before Creighton makes its way to the top of Playboy's Jesuit Party Schools.

-Big E
Stable genius.
Vince Furlong
Home Owners Association

Post by Vince Furlong »

Commenting on Twistd above.....

I hope you are right about the connections outside of CU.  The story noted that they were hoping to attract "alumni, students, and
downtown workers".  I hope CU will also be inviting to North Omaha.... and maybe let a homeless body or two stop by to rest?

Further, I hope the bookstore, coffee shop, etc that will be located in the Harper Center will be community-oriented as well
as CU oriented.  Our local universities really need to tie into their local communities more constructively in a social and
economic way.

(extending this note a little further)  Does anyone know if Starbucks has a policy in how they handle the homeless or
"loiterers" who may hang inside the shop?  I stop at the SB across from the downtown library in the early AMs occasionally,
and I have noticed a few "homeless types" sitting around, while the store staff does not seem to mind....

Vince Furlong
OMAHA MAIN STREETS
annad
Home Owners Association

Post by annad »

Raraavis wrote:When I went to the University of Iowa in the early 1990's they had a dinning area in the Student Union that served beer.   You could even charge the beers on you student ID and they added it to your monthly bill.   They also had an upscale restaurant in the same building that had a full bar.  They didn't have any trouble.  It was much easier to drink underage off campus.
And, from the OWH article quoted earlier:
University officials say they will force patrons of the new watering hole to be responsible drinkers.

No shots will be served. The bar will close at 10 p.m. weekdays and midnight on weekends. Drinkers must wear wrist bands. Underage students caught trying to drink there could be suspended from school.
Interesting.  I wonder how this is setting with some of Creighton's more conservative donors and board members.  While I don't think the Jesuit faith is overly conservative, I would imagine some controversy exists around this issue.  I don't know if Creighton would implement the charging alcohol to your monthly bill deal, but I know my parents would have been livid if I tried to charge beer to my scholarship fund!

Additionally, "in keeping with Creighton and Jesuit values," the Student Services department offers a fairly extensive (at least on-line) alcohol education program (http://www2.creighton.edu/studentservic ... /index.php).  

Possibly my favorite quote from the Creighton website:  Don’t let alcohol and drugs block your creative genius and your unique, powerful contribution to humankind.

Really.  Think of the children.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

annad wrote:Interesting.  I wonder how this is setting with some of Creighton's more conservative donors and board members.  While I don't think the Jesuit faith is overly conservative, I would imagine some controversy exists around this issue.  I don't know if Creighton would implement the charging alcohol to your monthly bill deal, but I know my parents would have been livid if I tried to charge beer to my scholarship fund!
You ever been to a Catholic Fish Fry during Lent?  I think some serve more beer than fish!
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

annad wrote:Possibly my favorite quote from the Creighton website:  Don’t let alcohol and drugs block your creative genius and your unique, powerful contribution to humankind.
However, we are even more concerned about it not letting you not block giving us all kinds of money.

-Big E
Stable genius.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

annad wrote:Really.  Think of the children.
I am sorry, it just might be me, but once you are 21 you aren't really a child.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

OmahaJaysCU wrote:
You obviously have never met my ex! :)

(Seriously, we're still very good friends!)
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Omababe wrote:
OmahaJaysCU wrote:
You obviously have never met my ex! :)

(Seriously, we're still very good friends!)
Well, I guess more in the respect of being able to make your own decisions not acting childish...
omaja
Library Board

Post by omaja »

annad wrote:Interesting.  I wonder how this is setting with some of Creighton's more conservative donors and board members.  While I don't think the Jesuit faith is overly conservative, I would imagine some controversy exists around this issue.  I don't know if Creighton would implement the charging alcohol to your monthly bill deal, but I know my parents would have been livid if I tried to charge beer to my scholarship fund!

Additionally, "in keeping with Creighton and Jesuit values," the Student Services department offers a fairly extensive (at least on-line) alcohol education program (http://www2.creighton.edu/studentservic ... /index.php).  

Possibly my favorite quote from the Creighton website:  Don’t let alcohol and drugs block your creative genius and your unique, powerful contribution to humankind.

Really.  Think of the children.
You kind of took the "in keeping with Creighton and Jesuit values" thing out of context.  The only real controversy would arise from a legal and safety point of view.  But there are events on campuses which follow the same type of setup (wristbands, validation of college ID, etc.) with alcohol present.  Not to mention, it is easier to find alcohol on a campus than to receive a C in a class, so take that for what it's worth.

But anyway, I am glad that Creighton is finally going for a more cohesive architectural style for its campus.  The hodgepodge of styles along the mall doesn't lend itself to making Creighton an attractive campus, even though it has all the potential in the world.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

I thought I would mention, that on Creighton's website there is now a page with information about the Sokol Arena, as well as what looks to be an updated rendering, which looks much better in my opinion.

http://www.gocreighton.com/ViewArticle. ... R_CONTENT=

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

That looks great.  

Just north of the Soccer Field?
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Yeah, I haven't been down there in a while, but it sounds like construction is well underway.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I think they still have buildings to bash in... namely Mystery Manor.
jat
New to the Neighborhood

Post by jat »

construction has not started, but will in the next few weeks.  Mystery Manor will remain.  The Owner will net sell to Creighton at this time.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Council to View CU Projects

http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/15520652.html
If the Omaha City Council gives the green light, a couple of projects could improve the safety and the aesthetics near the Creighton campus.

Several resolutions go before the council on Tuesday concerning some Creighton projects. The biggest would happen on 24th Street in the form of a raised pedestrian bridge. It would help keep traffic flowing and keep students safer.
In addition to the pedestrian bridge the council will also review plans to improve sidewalks and lighting and add landscaping along Burt Street along the campus.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

I agree wholeheartedly. While the bridge will keep the students safer, this seems like a fix leaning in favor of vehicular traffic, the the pedestrians. One of the cool things about Creighton's campus is the "ped mall" thing they have going on there.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

A ped bridge across 24th St. is a ridiculous idea, for the reasons that were just presented.  I hope it's at least a good design.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Omaha council OKs pedestrian bridge near Creighton
Omaha World Herald wrote:The Omaha City Council approved a plan for a pedestrian bridge near Creighton University’s campus Tuesday. Creighton spokeswoman Cindy Workman said the university hopes to begin work on the pedestrian bridge by the end of the year.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Re: ..

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Creighton's new building to draw crowds

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2 ... d=10381409
KHRISTOPHER J. BROOKS WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:The Harper Center is Creighton's new student and conference center, slated to open when classes begin Aug. 27. The dark-red brick building has a distinctive octagonal main entrance.

Creighton officials hope the building — with its student lounges and welcome center — will serve as a recruiting tool and also entice alumni, particularly the 14,000 Creighton grads in the Omaha area, to spend time on campus.
KHRISTOPHER J. BROOKS WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:The four-story, 214,000- square-foot building also will include six classrooms, a 500-seat movie theatre, a ballroom, a coffee shop, a fitness center, a bookstore and a restaurant-style sports cafe and bar.

Creighton gained approval to serve alcoholic beverages at its bar from the State Liquor Control Commission in April.
Uffda
County Board

Building boom intensifies at Creighton

Post by Uffda »

Creighton University has started raising money to build an $18 million fitness and wellness center that will continue the eastward expansion of the campus.

The building, projected to open in the spring or summer of 2010, will be just east of the Ryan Athletic Center already under construction.

The new fitness center, which will have about 65,000 square feet of space, will have an open indoor area covered with turf of about 150 by 220 feet. It also will have an elevated running track.

http://omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1200&u_sid=10392938
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

This sounds like it will be a very impressive facility.  The fact that they are moving the Softball and baseball locker rooms and indoor practice facility to that end of campus probably means that the softball team will have a new stadium close by, and baseball will at least have a practice field near by (Ras said a while back that even if Creighton plays in the downtown stadium or not, they will at least build their own practice field).
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

If you look back to the first post on this topic, you can see where the fields will be located.
psl25201
Home Owners Association

Post by psl25201 »

Next on the list of major projects for Creighton is a new business school.  I talked to a couple people who had knowledge of the situation and they believe that if Creighton can find a major donor for the project, then it will move quickly.  

Also, I believe the master plan has changed and we should see a revision within the year.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

they said the soccer locker rooms are in the new building...how far is that from the soccer stadium?
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

hrabik11 wrote:they said the soccer locker rooms are in the new building...how far is that from the soccer stadium?
This building and the Sokol arena will be directly north of the stadium.  They will practically touch.
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

OmahaJaysCU wrote: baseball will at least have a practice field near by (Ras said a while back that even if Creighton plays in the downtown stadium or not, they will at least build their own practice field).
heck lets hope they build their own stadium on campus so they dont have to play in front of 20,000 empty seats every game.
Hellenistic Kshatriya
Home Owners Association

Post by Hellenistic Kshatriya »

OmahaJaysCU wrote:
hrabik11 wrote:they said the soccer locker rooms are in the new building...how far is that from the soccer stadium?
This building and the Sokol arena will be directly north of the stadium.  They will practically touch.
Awesome... I think this might be one of the sticking points on Omaha getting a Minor League Soccer team... locker rooms.. the stadium is perfect just need the locker rooms.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Hellenistic Kshatriya wrote:
OmahaJaysCU wrote:
Awesome... I think this might be one of the sticking points on Omaha getting a Minor League Soccer team... locker rooms.. the stadium is perfect just need the locker rooms.
Yeah, there's an open concourse and everything, too!  /snark
agibson95
Home Owners Association

Post by agibson95 »

Hellenistic Kshatriya wrote:
OmahaJaysCU wrote:
In April, I emailed the president of MLS and told him about the stadium and that we were looking for a tenant. I gave him the city council numbers and addresses, as well as Fahey's info. So, it might as well be a done deal. The stadium will be larger than most of the MLS stadiums. Omaha is a Soccer Town!
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

agibson95 wrote:Omaha is a Soccer Town!
?
Stable genius.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Big E wrote:
?
Not only was I thinking that... I was also thinking that if we can't support a AHL team.... Minor league Soccer?
agibson95
Home Owners Association

Post by agibson95 »

Brad wrote:
Big E wrote:
?
Not only was I thinking that... I was also thinking that if we can't support a AHL team.... Minor league Soccer?
We all love our Creighton soccer teams, dont we? Im sure we would support an MLS team with the same enthusiasm.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

agibson95 wrote:
Brad wrote:
Big E wrote:
?
We all love our Creighton soccer teams, dont we? Im sure we would support an MLS team with the same enthusiasm.
I know lots of people to go to all the Creighton Baseball and Basketball.  I don't know a single person that has gone to a soccer match.
agibson95
Home Owners Association

Post by agibson95 »

Brad wrote:
agibson95 wrote:
Brad wrote:
Big E wrote:
?
I know lots of people to go to all the Creighton Baseball and Basketball.  I don't know a single person that has gone to a soccer match.
I dont either, but they have that nice stadium downtown. Someone has to be watching those games.

Here are some facts from the Creighton webpage:

Three players were drafted by the MLS in 2008 from the Creighton Soccer team, the most of any team in the country!

In 2007, four Creighton seniors signed professional contracts, the most of any university in America!

Creighton has been to a record sixteen consecutive NCAA Div I tournaments.  The only other three schools to accomplish this feat are UCLA, Virginia, and Indiana.

Creighton has captured the Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Championship a record ten times.

Creighton is the only school in America to have at least one player selected in every MLS draft since the league began.

Creighton finished second in the nation in NCAA attendance in 2007, and has finished in the top ten in attendance in the last five seasons.

Morrison Stadium, the primary training site for the Creighton Soccer Academy and the Creighton Bluejays Soccer team is recognized as the finest collegiate soccer stadium in the nation.

Creighton has produced twenty MLS draft picks since 1996.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

agibson95 wrote: I dont either, but they have that nice stadium downtown. Someone has to be watching those games.

Here are some facts from the Creighton webpage:

Three players were drafted by the MLS in 2008 from the Creighton Soccer team, the most of any team in the country!

In 2007, four Creighton seniors signed professional contracts, the most of any university in America!

Creighton has been to a record sixteen consecutive NCAA Div I tournaments.  The only other three schools to accomplish this feat are UCLA, Virginia, and Indiana.

Creighton has captured the Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Championship a record ten times.

Creighton is the only school in America to have at least one player selected in every MLS draft since the league began.

Creighton finished second in the nation in NCAA attendance in 2007, and has finished in the top ten in attendance in the last five seasons.

Morrison Stadium, the primary training site for the Creighton Soccer Academy and the Creighton Bluejays Soccer team is recognized as the finest collegiate soccer stadium in the nation.

Creighton has produced twenty MLS draft picks since 1996.
I understand what your getting at, but that doesn't make Omahans soccer fans.  Sure, a lot of great players have played here, but that doesn't mean enough people care to go watch it.  Didn't they average like 2,000 last season?  That wouldn't even touch  the top 30 for baseball, let alone the top 200 for basketball.
Hellenistic Kshatriya
Home Owners Association

Post by Hellenistic Kshatriya »

In all seriousness I think a soccer team in this city could do fantastic.  I'd love to own it... but i don't have the money yet.  If there's still not one in 3 or 4 years I may have a go.  The Hispanic population in this city is perfect for a soccer team.  They would jump behind the opportunity for one and to support it.  Is Morrison to far away from South O?  Maybe. That might be a bit of a problem.. but I dunno.  USL-PDL (Premier Development League) is amateur players and 1,000 fans per game is a good number for attendance (516 was the average last year).  They have teams in Colorado, Des Moines, KC, St. Louis, Springfield... so lots of good areas for around here.  That kind of a team doesn't take a lot of money to run and if you got the Latino population behind it would go great.  There could be Spanish radio broadcasts of games... that would be a huge appeal to that community.  Imagine, a team aimed at them!!!

If the team was successful they could someday make the move up to USL Second or First Division (I think Morrison is big enough for both leagues...).  I really think it could work.  It wouldn't actually be Minor League Soccer, it'd be lower level leagues... but not minor league.. you're not housing players for a larger team, you have your own players and could move up to higher leagues... I think it'd be great.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Hopefully we see more demolition/construction soon:
Commercial real estate transfers, Nov. 10
• Modern Equipment Co. to Creighton University, 1701 Cuming St., $11,001,000.
http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1 ... d=10483256