Official: Magnolia Hotels in the Aquila Building

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Official: Magnolia Hotels in the Aquila Building

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I thought I would check in on an add I saw in the OWH a couple months ago saying that Magnolia Hotels was looking for financial partners in developing a hotel property in downtown Omaha.  The company is known for its restoration of historic hotels in Denver, Dallas, and Houston.  Here is the e-mail I received in response:

Good afternoon Aaron,

Thank you for your interest in Magnolia Hotels and our growth plans for Omaha. We are working diligently on our due diligence coordinating with the Seller. It is a wonderful historic building - the Aquila Court and we feel with proper renovation and updates it will make a strong addition to the Magnolia family. We are hopeful to move forward with the deal and as all deals go, nothing is final until the deal has been signed and thus yes, you are correct; the specifics are truly confidential.

We appreciate your inquiry and look forward to adding Omaha as our 4th Magnolia.

Sincerely,

Scot Cameron

THE MAGNOLIA

Denver•Dallas•Houston

Scot Cameron
Magnolia Hotels
818 17th Street
Denver, Colorado 80202
(p) 303-607-1218
(f) 303-607-1001
(c) 303-521-0557
(e) scameron@magnoliahotels.com
(W) http://www.magnoliahotels.com

I think this is really cool, although I was hoping to see them maybe restore a building downtown that is not already a hotel.  My best idea would have been the old Hill Hotel, currently Kensington Tower Apartments.  Oh well, all the more buzz on downtown Omaha's southern end.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
projectman
Human Relations

Post by projectman »

Cool. Sounds like this deal is more than a rumor. I'm getting real tired of rumors around here.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Me too. Although it seems like more rumers have been being put to rest lately.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
UNOstudent
Human Relations

Post by UNOstudent »

im not familiar w/ the Aquila Court, where is it at? how big is it? how many rooms, etc?[/code]
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Well, it's currently a Sheraton Hotel. It's on 16th and Howard Streets, just before Howard breaks off into St. Mary's Avenue.

Here are some pictures from their website,

It's already a fabulous hotel, so I'm sure Magnolia Hotels could really do some amazing things with it. It would definitely be at least another 4 diamond hotel for downtown Omaha.

Here are some photos I've taken of the actual building.

This is a side view looking east. There is a BEAUTIFUL courtyard in between the two wings.

Aquila Court is the building on the far left of this 16th Street picture.

Howard Street Facade.

West facade and courtyard entrance. All the land directly to the west and south of this building are just BEGGING to be developed....I really really love this area for its potential.

Here it is with its two beautiful neighbors, Kensington Tower and The Flatiron.

Looking west as St. Mary's Avenue splits off form Howard Street.

The Stately north facade

From the square at Howard and St. Mary's. This photo looks very Euro to me.

A little graphic I made a while back.

If you can't tell by how much the building has shown up in my photography...I really love this building, and its neighborhood.
Last edited by StreetsOfOmaha on Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
UNOstudent
Human Relations

Post by UNOstudent »

oh wow i feel dumb, i was just there for new years eve. i didnt know that the aquilla was the sheraton. i know height isnt everything, but its still in the back of my mind, could/would they do anything to make it taller and add rooms?
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Well, I certainly hope they don't "make it taller", because that would ruin a gorgeous building. There's certainly parking lot space to the south that could be used for an addition, but it seems like new construction is not their specialty. They do restorations/remodels of historic buildings.
Alt(Bayern)München
Home Owners Association

Post by Alt(Bayern)München »

Actually the Aquila has changed hands several times in the last 15 to 20 years.
It was a Westin for awhile, then OMNI was buying it, but backed out.
At one point it was the only 4 star - 4 diamond hotel in Omaha.
Then after one of the ownership changes, it lost that rating.
It's a really cool building on the inside.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Yes, it's a gorgeous building.

I found that it has 145 rooms in its current condition.

No doubt, if Magnolia does buy it and update it, it will reclaim its 4 diamond rating.
Ingersoll1978
Library Board

Post by Ingersoll1978 »

It would be sad though to see no Starwood Hotels in the Omaha market. Hopefully they would build something new then.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

That's what I was thinking, too, Ingersoll.

I asked the Magnolia guy if he knew anything about Sheraton's plans if/when they vacate that building, and he didn't know.

I think it would be awesome if they used that as an excuse to build a larger/taller/impressive/new building downtown.

Let's hope for that!
Sodak
Home Owners Association

Post by Sodak »

Magnolia looks like a good operator. I gotta admit though, I was hoping that they were considering the Reddick. That place really needs some money spent on it. We would have had two historical hotels downtown that way.
OmahaDevelopmentMan
Human Relations

Post by OmahaDevelopmentMan »

Hopefully Sheraton will find another vacant historic building to use so that our vacancy rate can be lowered.
AZCorey
Home Owners Association

Post by AZCorey »

I have a special affinity for the Aquila Court bldg, as I used to live in both Kensington Tower, and Union Plaza on 16th st when it was being converted into a hotel....I love that building.

I am a little concerned though that it might be changing hands again....is it not a profitable hotel?? It's so beautifu, and elegant....I really hope that it makes money.

As far as renovation goes, I can't imagine what other renovations would need to be done....it was pretty well gutted and renovated when Westin first had it.....

Is Magnolia the class of Sheraton/Westin?? Never heard of them..... [/url]
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

About 20 years ago was the Aquila building used as and office building by chance?
AZCorey
Home Owners Association

Post by AZCorey »

Okay guys, correct me if I'm wrong...I've been in the desert too long, but if I recall, the Aquila was once apartments/private residences, once an office building (and I think that was the primary function), before it was a hotel, it was host of the Symphony Designer Showhouse....

For some reason I'm thinking that it was once maybe government or law offices?? Man I hate getting old....!!
projectman
Human Relations

Post by projectman »

I love that part of downtown. Almost like a bit of 5th Ave in New York. Just a little bit.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I remember seeing that article in the business section a few months ago about this chain desirng to be in Omaha. Their other buildings do look more like the Kensington and Orpheum Towers but since the Sheraton is in that type of neighborhood, the Magnolia will be in good company. I don't think they will or should add onto it. The courtyard on the inside is beutiful. It has a very old world feel and since the obly building you can see from the inside are older ones it really does take you away. I hope we see more hotels sporut up DT as it becomes a more attractive destination.
DTO
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

The Aquila Court building has a European feel about it. Definitely unique in downtown.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

That would be cool to see future construction around this site resemble a European style.
DTO
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

AZCorey wrote:I have a special affinity for the Aquila Court bldg, as I used to live in both Kensington Tower, and Union Plaza on 16th st when it was being converted into a hotel....I love that building.

I am a little concerned though that it might be changing hands again....is it not a profitable hotel?? It's so beautifu, and elegant....I really hope that it makes money.

As far as renovation goes, I can't imagine what other renovations would need to be done....it was pretty well gutted and renovated when Westin first had it.....

Is Magnolia the class of Sheraton/Westin?? Never heard of them..... [/url]
I definitely wouldn't be concerned that it is changing hands, at least not in this situation since it is Magnolia Hotels that is courting it. Check out their website. There's a link on the original post of this thread. If it were changing hands to a Holiday Inn, yes then there might be cause for concern. In fact, quite the contrary, I think this possible changing of hands is a signal that it IS a profitable hotel!!!

And, I suppose rennovation probably isn't the right word, because the building is in FABULOUS shape. I suppose "redecorating" and further imbelishing would be more appropriate descriptions.

If this happens, it would be cool if Sheraton DID move to the Redick. Especially since the Barker and Lerner Buildings are getting renovated. The Redick would be the icing on the cake for that block.
PapioGrandpa
New to the Neighborhood

aquila court

Post by PapioGrandpa »

This building has seen all of the uses mentioned over the years. Until a few years ago it had the last remaining human elevator opertor in the city.

I don't think there will be a lot of change to the outside. It seems to me I've seen a brass plaque with some reference to historic register. I could be wrong.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Has anyone heard anything new about this?
fourtotheside
New to the Neighborhood

Post by fourtotheside »

I stayed at the Magnolia in Houston this week and when I told the bartender I was from Omaha, she got all excited and said that was their next property. They've apparently already been sending people up in crews to figure out their personnel needs, etc.

A manager I spoke to said they will remain open and do a floor-by-floor renovation.

The Houston Magnolia is in a very similar neighborhood -- a couple of blocks one way, you're in the heart of downtown -- a couple blocks the other, not so much. It occupies the Houston Post-Dispatch building, which is a cool old building, though probably not as outright beautiful as the Aquila. The decorating is very upscale and hip -- similar in its contemporary feel to the Hilton Omaha, but much more warm and a little more funky. Still, the midweek rack rate I got -- $229 -- was very typical of what I expect to spend at a business-travel appropriate hotel in cities of comparable size.

They have live jazz for happy hour and put out milk and cookies at bedtime.

I'm excited this property is coming to Omaha.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

That's fantastic.

And I WILL be interested to see what, if anything, Sheraton decides to do in the market. I would really hope they would relocate downtown and renovate an existing building or build something new and impressive.

This really is an amazing step for Omaha. We're going to be Magnolia's FOURTH hotel, joining Dallas, Denver, and Houston.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I'm glad to hear it's still moving forward since I first heard about it a few years ago.
DTO
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

BTW, I stayed at the Magnolia in DT Denver when we went in August. Lovely place. High rise, right downtown, cool lounge on the first floor (it was even non-smoking before the statewide ban). If they can bring that quality to a smaller box, they'll be just fine.

-Big E
Stable genius.
Bellevue Kid
Home Owners Association

Post by Bellevue Kid »

I was looking at the Sheraton website, and i notice that it said.......

"The Sheraton Omaha Hotel will be leaving the Starwood system on November 29, 2006. Please contact the hotel directly for reservations after November 29, 2006."

Seems kind of odd for the Sheraton to leave there chain........
UNOstudent
Human Relations

Post by UNOstudent »

typed in 'magnolia hotel omaha' at yahoo and found this article
The Magnolia Hotels are upscale boutique hotels catering to the sophisticated traveler. Magnolia Hotels Corp. is a Denver-based real estate development and hotel management company concentrating on the redevelopment of historic properties into elegant hotels in central business districts. The company currently owns and operates four Magnolia hotels—in Denver, Dallas, Houston and Omaha. For more information, visit http://www.magnoliahotels.com.
http://www.hotel-online.com/News/PR2006 ... Execs.html
Ben
Human Relations

confirmation from the Magnolia group

Post by Ben »

All-
I've read this board for a while without joining/posting.  I found this article in a Denver paper which tells of Magnoilia execs talking about the Omaha property.

-Ben

http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/stori ... %5E1373898
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

This article is mostly talking about the dowtown Denver Magnolia, but could be what they are trying to do in Omaha as well. Thanks for your post Ben and welcome to this side of the forum.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Thanks for posting that, and for joining!!!

At least it confirms that they're looking to open "officially" this fall....so hopefully SOON, as well as the fact that this will be their FOURTH store among the likes of Dallas, Houston, and Denver.

Cool stuff.  I'll be watching for new signage and any other changes.
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

Bellevue Kid posted the following on the 13th of this month....

I was looking at the Sheraton website, and i notice that it said.......

"The Sheraton Omaha Hotel will be leaving the Starwood system on November 29, 2006. Please contact the hotel directly for reservations after November 29, 2006."

I would expect new signage pretty quickly.  Hotels like to have their brand recognized as soon as possible.
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
Asten
Human Relations

Post by Asten »

The deal closed today.  Big renovations planned totaling $14m.  

http://www.hotelinteractive.com/hi_inde ... le_id=6691
Hotel Interactive wrote:DENVER— Magnolia Hotels today announced the acquisition of the Sheraton Omaha Hotel, becoming the fourth property owned and operated by Denver-based Magnolia Hotels. The Magnolia Hotel will be the first upscale boutique hotel in downtown Omaha, contributing to the revitalization of the historic Old Market downtown neighborhood. The acquisition was effective at 3:30 p.m. MST today.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Wow. So 16th St. is the Old Market now. :) I don't know that I'd call it the Old Market but that area between there and Park East is about due for some attention.

So far we've got...

-Magnolia Renovations
- Kimball Lofts/Ice Cream Building condos
-jLofts
- Row 19 condos
- Other small building condo conversions
DTO
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Omaha latest site for 'boutique' hotel brings hip atmosphere to downtown
Omaha World Herald wrote:"When renovation is complete, there will be nothing like it," Hitz said. The tiled courtyard that the hotel is known for will be redone with what company officials described as a "modern, elegant design" and will feature a large fountain or water feature and potted plants. Hitz said it would continue to be a venue for weddings and other events.

The new hotel, she said, will have a "hip bar" for dining, socializing and live entertainment. The Club will feature a floor-to-ceiling, polished-concrete fireplace, lighted columns, mahogany club chairs and banquettes and a patio. It also will feature the "Library," where guests can select books, use a computer or hold small meetings...

Magnolia Hotels are owned and operated by Stevens Holtze Corp., which focuses on redeveloping historic properties in central business districts. Magnolia Hotels currently operate in Denver, Dallas and Houston. The company describes its properties as "upscale boutique hotels catering to the sophisticated traveler." Boutique hotels are independent, niche hotels that offer personalized services and usually have a luxurious or edgy design
Bellevue Kid
Home Owners Association

Post by Bellevue Kid »

I drove by last night after the Volleyball games at the Qwest. I tried to escape from some of the traffic. They had a temporary, I hope temporary sigh that said Magnolia Hotel.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

• Hmmm. Magnolia Hotels of Denver, which bought the downtown Sheraton Omaha, is promoting us as a "cow town."
The hotel chain is using a cow image in promotional materials. Under the (dairy) cow, it says: "We've moooved into Omaha."
Magnolia says Omaha long has been known as a cow town, and that Nebraska has more cows than people.
A press release says cows are a part of the city's charm, but that "Omaha is beginning to shed its image as a cow town."
Yes, it's been decades since the heyday of the old south Omaha stockyards, which are long gone.
BY MICHAEL KELLY
WORLD-HERALD COLUMNIST

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=1636&u_sid=2298031
We are the people our parents warned us about.

Jimmy Buffett
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Are there really more cows in Nebraska than people? I highly doubt that.

At least for what is currently available on the web-site for the Magnolia Omaha there is nothing about us being a "cow-town"

EDIT:  :shock: Nevermind....From the World Herald:
The estimated number of cattle on farms in Nebraska this year is 14.1 million, making it second only to Texas.

Nebraska cattle are so plentiful, they outnumber Nebraska's 1.7 million people eight times over. And Nebraska has more than three times the number of cattle as neighboring Iowa
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

There are more roaches than people in NYC but no one calls it a Roach Town. :roll:  

Wouldn't calling a city they're moving to a cow town hurt their business? Who would want to stay there? It's not like we're Dallas/Ft. Worth were cows roam the streets DT everyday.
DTO