Blue Barn moving to 10th and Pacific

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Re: Blue Barn moving to 10th and Pacific

Post by Brad »

Seth wrote:
Brad wrote:...I also have a liability policy in case my camera gear did any damage to the property I am photographing.
I'm chuckling a little trying to picture an instance where a camera could cause enough damage to submit a claim.
Some companies require it. One company in particular calls me every year and asks for a new copy of my policy.

One item that comes up a lot is if I am on a roof with my tripod, they worry my tripod is going to rip the vinyl roofing that they use all the time now. Not a worry for me because I have rubber feet on my tripod.

I guess, I could also break windows or scratch a floor if I am not careful, but I am always careful when on clients property.

I am also covered if someone trips over my tripod and breaks a leh. Or I drop a lens off a balcony or roof and it cracks someone's head open.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

I guess that's the world of liability sensitivity we live in these days.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

There is an open house on Thursday the 10th.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Blue Barn Theatre's new home has slightly larger capacity, one-of-a-kind features
But a long list of repurposed and handmade interior features make it one of a kind:
» Naturally rusting sheet metal and rebar cover the exterior, giving way to a tall glass lobby wall facing east on 10th Street. The same materials were used to finish both ends of a long, wood coffee bar, the first thing you see as you walk in. The wood for the bar came from local trees.
» Four-thousand salt-fired, handmade Nebraska clay bricks — in various shades of blue — line a vestibule and box-office facade. Philadelphia ceramics artist Michael Morgan numbered and placed each individual brick.
» Thousands of pieces of recycled wood cover the main lobby’s 22-foot-high gratitude wall, many containing the names of supporters. A hallway and interior walls of the theater’s seating area also are covered with wood, raising the total to 30,000 pieces donated by Integrity Architectural Millwork of Omaha. Other walls are painted the theater’s signature blue.
» The lobby’s maple floor was reclaimed from a demolished building at 27th and N Streets.
» Jim Woodfill of Kansas City created lobby lighting fixtures and made office desks and actor makeup tables from repurposed scenery and stage flooring from the old Blue Barn.
» In public restrooms, sinks custom-made by Hot Shops ceramic artist Daniel Toberer — Susan’s husband — rest atop South Dakota granite repurposed from the facade of Angie’s Steakhouse, which formerly sat on the theater site.
» Audience seating comes from the Omaha Community Playhouse, donated when its main auditorium got a face-lift five years ago. On either side of the seats are 12-by-12-inch wood pillars, which, like the coffee bar, are shaped from donated trees around the city. They recall support beams in the old space that framed the seating. Dan Toberer milled all the new beams either at the site where the trees were cut down or on the dock at Hot Shops. “I found a new hobby,” he joked.

The new auditorium itself seats 96, only about 10 more than the old. But the stage ceiling is 16-feet high, compared with 8 in the old building. And the stage is larger, giving actors more options for entering and exiting and creating more space on the sides for scenery or props.
Even though the lobby and performance space are similar in size to the theater’s former home, the new building has 12,728 square feet of space, nearly double that of the old space. Additions include a scene shop, better dressing rooms with toilets and a shower, added office and storage space, central air and heating, better noise control, a bigger light booth, a more adequate electrical system and easily accessible public restrooms — all features the old space lacked.

iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Really cool how every little touch of the building is artistic. Nothing was overlooked including the building they demoed, kudos on the project to Min|Day and Blue Barn.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

iamjacobm wrote:Really cool how every little touch of the building is artistic. Nothing was overlooked including the building they demoed, kudos on the project to Min|Day and Blue Barn.
Absolutely!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

They were welding more steel rebar to the front of the building yesterday afternoon, looked like it was a good be more artistic, like it had more of a design to it than all the straight up and down pieces. They were just starting so I don't have a good idea what they were doing.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

A few shots from this evening:

nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Thank you for sharing. I look forward to attending performances there in the coming year.
Otown88
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Otown88 »

The former Blue Barn theatre near 11th and Jackson is now a ballroom dance studio called Vintage Ballroom. They offer beginner classes to the public every Monday and Tuesday at 7:30. The dance floors are the original wood floors from 1887 when the space was a loading dock for the Bemis bag company.
JDJase
Home Owners Association

Post by JDJase »

Was running through here tonight and noticed they’re adding a sizable addition to the apartments here. Didn’t want to lose my momentum so I just snapped a quick pic while running so sorry for the poor pic.

Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

JDJase wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:52 pm Was running through here tonight and noticed they’re adding a sizable addition to the apartments here. Didn’t want to lose my momentum so I just snapped a quick pic while running so sorry for the poor pic.

Ah, I saw that too and was meaning to post this!