Blue Barn moving to 10th and Pacific

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130807/M ... t-corridor
A five-story condo building designed for creative types to live and work — and even mix in a ground-floor bar and restaurant — is planned as a neighbor to the new Blue Barn Theatre south of downtown Omaha.

Called Boxcar 10, the 28,500-square-foot structure shares the same design team as its theater neighbor. The idea is for the two to complement each other architecturally.

Behind them to the west, a unique outdoor event area is to emerge and will be the focus of a national contest seeking the most ingenious ways to make that public green space pop.
The hope, Mammel said, is for the condos to become home to progressive and arts-minded residents who would live and work out of them.

A dozen units, each about 1,000 square feet, are to be “bare-bones lofts,” with concrete floors, simple kitchens and bathrooms and mostly open space that each owner can shape to meet specific needs.

Mammel said she wants them to be affordable, under $200,000 apiece. “These aren't for the person who wants granite countertops and foo-foo appliances,” although amenities could be added by owners if they so choose.
“This will be like no other building in Omaha,” Mammel said. “I'm not scared of color. It will be fun, a nice vibe, cool and contemporary.”
Really excited for this block now.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

What happened to the original design penned by Jeanne Gang of the world-renowned Studio Gang architects from Chicago?

Min|Day does some great stuff too though.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

I don't get this... they are marketing this towards artists which have notoriously been broke as shizz but saying that these condo's will be 'affordable' at less than 200k?
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

She hasn't figured that out yet.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

What other new condo space can you find in the neighborhood for less than 200k?
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

Not a lot I'm sure but she definitely doesn't make these sound that nice saying how they'll have concrete floors and be bare bones for a cool 200k. If I was to spend that kind of money I would at least want some amenities is it part of the artist community to live in places that suck? How about instead of trying to sound hip and cool by saying these are for 'Artists' just saying we have these condo's.. they're 200k.. anyone can buy one...
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Because this is as much if not more a hobby for Mrs. Mammel than it is a money making venture.  She is very into theater and the arts in Omaha and wants to seem them grow.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

guitarguy wrote:Not a lot I'm sure but she definitely doesn't make these sound that nice saying how they'll have concrete floors and be bare bones for a cool 200k. If I was to spend that kind of money I would at least want some amenities is it part of the artist community to live in places that suck? How about instead of trying to sound hip and cool by saying these are for 'Artists' just saying we have these condo's.. they're 200k.. anyone can buy one...
You're right....I'm sure she's only looking for the cool artist-types to rent to....to enhance her cool image. I guess if 2 two artists buy 1 condo, they could live there for about $500/mo a piece if they get a 30yr loan at 4.5%. Or maybe they could live there 4 per condo.

Achieving the bare-bones look is not as cheap as people think. The more raw materials you leave exposed, the greater the attention to detail has to be, to make things look neat & tidy. The cheapest way to build is to hide imperfections and guts as much as possible behind faux finishes, drywall, carpet, etc. It depends on what your definition of "nice" is.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

guitarguy wrote:I don't get this... they are marketing this towards artists which have notoriously been broke as shizz but saying that these condo's will be 'affordable' at less than 200k?

That's what I was thinking as well, but I don't know the "artist" community at all...so I can't begin to speculate.
No posts exist for this topic
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

iamjacobm wrote:Because this is as much if not more a hobby for Mrs. Mammel than it is a money making venture.  She is very into theater and the arts in Omaha and wants to seem them grow.
She must have a lot of money to throw around by creating a project that is geared towards only one demographic.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Linkin5 wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:Because this is as much if not more a hobby for Mrs. Mammel than it is a money making venture.  She is very into theater and the arts in Omaha and wants to seem them grow.
She must have a lot of money to throw around by creating a project that is geared towards only one demographic.
There is a reason UNO's business school is in Mammel Hall...  She was behind CO2 on Tenth too.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I noticed that the lot to the west - 11th and Pacific has been leveled.
What was here and what is going in here - I can't remember if this has been mentioned.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Coyote wrote:I noticed that the lot to the west - 11th and Pacific has been leveled.
What was here and what is going in here - I can't remember if this has been mentioned.
To the west?  Went by there earlier today and it looked like there were piles of mulch being stored inside of a fenced in area to the west.
ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

The lot to the west is used by Lanoha to store landscape materials and nothing more.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Soil samples being taken today.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Site plan:

RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

http://www.omaha.com/article/20131116/M ... reen-space

A design competition is being held for a lot adjacent to the future home of Blue Barn and Boxcar 10.
The winner will get $200,000 to turn an urban parcel near 10th and Pacific Streets into a space for the public to enjoy. The parcel is adjacent to two developing projects: the future home of the Blue Barn Theatre, and the planned five-story Boxcar 10 condo and retail building.
The five finalists now enter the conceptual design phase and will present their visions in January to an Omaha panel, said Connie Spellman of Omaha By Design, the project manager for the contest. The space ultimately will become Blue Barn’s to maintain and manage.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations

Re: Blue Barn moving to 10th and Pacific

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

Expect construction to begin May 2014, it will still have an indoor/outdoor design but you can forget about that toothpick looking structure shown in the earlier renderings.
Also, a restaurant will occupy the retail space located on the lower level of the new condo's that will be adjacent to the theatre.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

ItsAllAboutMe wrote:Expect construction to begin May 2014, it will still have an indoor/outdoor design but you can forget about that toothpick looking structure shown in the earlier renderings.
Also, a restaurant will occupy the retail space located on the lower level of the new condo's that will be adjacent to the theatre.
Have any info on the new design?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://greeninthecityomaha.com/
The public will be able to view the proposals of the five Green in the City finalist teams at an open house set for Tuesday, Jan. 21. The event will be held at KANEKO, 1111 Jones St., from 5:30 to 7:00pm. Following the event, the proposals will be on display at KANEKO through Friday, Jan. 24, from 9:00am to 5:00pm.

Green in the City, launched in September, is a national design competition to create an innovative urban community space in downtown Omaha. The site is adjacent to two projects under development in the 10th and Pacific block – the new home of the BLUEBARN Theatre and Boxcar 10, a mixed use building with a small parking area.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.omaha.com/article/20140119/G ... anent-home
Developer-philanthropist Nancy Mammel, who donated land for the Blue Barn, has announced plans to build Boxcar 10, a four-story condo building with suitable work-live spaces for artists and a ground-floor restaurant, just south of the new Blue Barn. Landscapers are vying for the contract to create a public green space just west of the theater. Competing designs for Green in the City will be unveiled in The World-Herald's Money section Tuesday.

The Blue Barn has raised $4.4 million in the large-donor phase of its $7 million capital campaign for the new space and will begin the public phase later this month. The total includes $1 million for an operating budget and a $1 million endowment.

“While many small theaters around the country are closing their doors, this really shows Omaha is a thriving arts community,” said Susan Clement-Toberer, the Blue Barn's artistic director.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Here is the rendering the World Herald posted:
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

.... Not feeling it.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Garrett wrote:.... Not feeling it.
Yeah I was thinking the same thing....I think the first rendering from 2012 looks much better, especially from the street view.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Agreed. This looks pretty lame.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Well, it is a step up from the Popsicle stick rendering. :roll:
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

Guess they're really committed to the name? Looks like a joke rendering tbh :koko:
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

I think they got a little too literal with the term 'Barn.'
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Maybe the model was right...it does look like it is going to be made from Popsicle sticks.
No posts exist for this topic
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

First off it was definitely Blue Barn renderings that the last of us stragglers got a glimpse of at Borgata last weekend. 2nd this is a very exciting project over all, will really make 10th Street a place to be. I love the thin condo building. Theater design I like, not love. The front with the Blue Barn words and their door logo in large wood cutouts will be cool. The side I actually like the zig zagging roofline, the blank wall is a little plain. Looking forward to seeing what kind of designs that come out for the park this week.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

iamjacobm wrote:First off it was definitely Blue Barn renderings that the last of us stragglers got a glimpse of at Borgata last weekend.
How did you find that out? My picture didn't turn out well in the light. :P
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Coyote wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:First off it was definitely Blue Barn renderings that the last of us stragglers got a glimpse of at Borgata last weekend.
The second picture on the OWH article with the render of the inside all painted blue was the one I saw pulled up on the other table's ipad.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

You have much better eyesight than I do. We should have moved to the table next to them and eves drop on their conversation.
ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

I really like it.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

iamjacobm wrote:
Coyote wrote:
The second picture on the OWH article with the render of the inside all painted blue was the one I saw pulled up on the other table's ipad.
Nice catch, I remember pointing out the ipad but I didn't remember what the renderings on them looked like. But now that you mention it, I believe these were it.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Ok, this angle is pretty damn cool. I didn't realize the theater and condos were all connected.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

Definitely a fan of this.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I predict that we will all grow to appreciate this development. But it will take some time.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Looks much better from that angle. Is that grass on the roof?
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

Oh I'm thrilled Blue Barn has this opportunity and I would take something like this any day over an empty lot, but the renderings are kinda meh. The most recent one is better, though.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC