Downtown parking update?

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Re: Downtown parking update?

Post by Coyote »

skinzfan23 wrote:Yes the Landmark garage is always open to the public. During the day, there aren't many open spaces since they are mostly used for monthly parking, but there are some. At night and on the weekends most of the garage is available. There are 525 spaces in the Landmark garage, but probably only around 300-400 (at most) are available because so many spots are reserved.
What is the charge there?
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

The current pricing: I am not sure if they recently changed it.

1st Hour - $2.00
Each Additional Hour - $1.00
Daily Maximum - $7.00
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

The Landmark garage is where my wife and I usually park when we go to Downtown or Old Market. It's a good location, convenient (well, except for one time when the machine tried to eat my credit card), and reasonably-priced.

The city needs to push to get more garages downtown to offer similar off-hours parking, and then publicize it with prominent signage.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Seth wrote:The Landmark garage is where my wife and I usually park when we go to Downtown or Old Market. It's a good location, convenient (well, except for one time when the machine tried to eat my credit card), and reasonably-priced.

The city needs to push to get more garages downtown to offer similar off-hours parking, and then publicize it with prominent signage.
Thanks guys.

I agree, I did not know this was open to the public, and not only convenient, but covered parking. It wasn't until this OWH article that I found this out, maybe the city can help in promoting these alternative options...
schumatt
Home Owners Association

Post by schumatt »

skinzfan23 wrote:The 10 hr meters will be cheapest, but if a game runs long, you wouldn't be able to just walk out and add more money to the meter.
If you use the ParkOmaha app or mobile site, you can extend your parking time via the app/site, so long as it doesn't exceed the maximum of the meter. So, if you park at a 10 hour meter but initially only pay for 4 hours through the app/site when you park, you could extend it online in increments (30 or 60 mins at a time, if I remember correctly), up to a total of 10 hours.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

schumatt wrote:
skinzfan23 wrote:The 10 hr meters will be cheapest, but if a game runs long, you wouldn't be able to just walk out and add more money to the meter.
If you use the ParkOmaha app or mobile site, you can extend your parking time via the app/site, so long as it doesn't exceed the maximum of the meter. So, if you park at a 10 hour meter but initially only pay for 4 hours through the app/site when you park, you could extend it online in increments (30 or 60 mins at a time, if I remember correctly), up to a total of 10 hours.
NICE!!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/do-we-n ... 143ef.html
Omaha’s parking ratio — a little less than two downtown stalls for every downtown worker — contrasts with the parking situation in Denver and Minneapolis, which have a third or half as many stalls as workers.

“We are so far beyond everyone else, it is unbelievable,” said City Engineer Todd Pfitzer.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Here is the map from the article:
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

YIKES! That's egregious. We should chill on parking unless it's incorporated like the Old Market Hyatt's.
15-17, 26, 32
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

MTO wrote:YIKES! That's egregious. We should chill on parking unless it's incorporated like the Old Market Hyatt's.
I can't comprehend why that's such a hard concept to grasp. So what it costs more. It's so grating that these entities can be so selfish and stifle future development so every employee and visitor can have 5 spaces to choose from. I worked downtown for a short period of time at Gavilon, and the garage they had me park in was 3 blocks away. If it was cold, I brought a coat. If it was hot, I dressed lightly (it was IT stuff, so I could bend the rules a bit more), if it snowed, I packed some boots and left early. I seriously don't understand what these people expect.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I think its too early to tell because the End of the Farmers Market, Husker Football, and the new parking rules all hit about the same time. That said, there are several people saying the new parking rules have hurt business in the Old Market.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

RNcyanide wrote:
MTO wrote:YIKES! That's egregious. We should chill on parking unless it's incorporated like the Old Market Hyatt's.
I can't comprehend why that's such a hard concept to grasp. So what it costs more. It's so grating that these entities can be so selfish and stifle future development so every employee and visitor can have 5 spaces to choose from. I worked downtown for a short period of time at Gavilon, and the garage they had me park in was 3 blocks away. If it was cold, I brought a coat. If it was hot, I dressed lightly (it was IT stuff, so I could bend the rules a bit more), if it snowed, I packed some boots and left early. I seriously don't understand what these people expect.

Oh no I'm with you 100% I enjoy seeing people bîtch as much as the next I'm only saying it would add height...
15-17, 26, 32
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

If they keep adding parking at the current/proposed pace, there will be nothing left to do downtown but park. Maybe they should add some long-term airport parking downtown too....and why not add some long term storage for RV's and boats while they're at it?
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

MTO wrote:
RNcyanide wrote:

Oh no I'm with you 100% I enjoy seeing people bîtch as much as the next I'm only saying it would add height...
An infantile part of me hopes that this kind of pushes HDR to revise their plans and incorporate parking into the base of their new offices. I'm actually shocked they didn't do that from the start.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

If your an architectural firm building a brand new HQ to impress you'd think so especially since it would t take much to stand out in downtown Omaha.
15-17, 26, 32
Varsity
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Varsity »

I have to agree. It's absolutely ridiculous to drive or walk through downtown and see so many massive stand alone garages and surface lots. I'm specifically thinking of the stretch of Howard between 13th and 18th. YES, I know the garages service OPPD, the Orpheum, and the Old Market...but on the north side of Howard between 13th and 18th it goes: surface lot, garage, Patrick's Market, surface lot, garage, garage, surface lot. That's four and a half city blocks, almost half a mile, with nothing but parking on one side with the exception of Patrick's.

This is all in the heart of downtown, with beautiful buildings like the Magnolia Hotel, Flatiron, Orpheum Theater, and even Kensington Tower to a lesser extent right there...but it really takes away from the vibe and pedestrian friendliness. Who wants to walk 4 blocks on a barren sidewalk next to nothing but parking? It's a joke. Sorry... rant over.
Last edited by Varsity on Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Lol...

From the OWH:
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

I've been really impressed with the OWH political cartoons lately, They're quite impressive for a media market of our size.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

15-17, 26, 32
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

iamjacobm wrote:http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/do-we-n ... 143ef.html
Omaha’s parking ratio — a little less than two downtown stalls for every downtown worker — contrasts with the parking situation in Denver and Minneapolis, which have a third or half as many stalls as workers.

“We are so far beyond everyone else, it is unbelievable,” said City Engineer Todd Pfitzer.
I'm calling bull-excrement on that figure.

Call Central Parking or Park Omaha and inquire about finding parking downtown during the workday, and you'll find out something COMPLETELY different.

How do I know? I just lost my parking spot that I had been using for over 12 years; my contract was pulled because the building owner (the Omaha World-Herald) needed the spots. I started calling around, and found most other parking garages had long waiting lists. One probably had a list longer than the number of spots that actually exist in the garage.

The only spots I found were in the Old Market and north of the Civic Auditorium.

I suspect that the city may have included MECA's parking lots in their totals, but those spots are not available for workday parking.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

HskrFanMike wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/do-we-n ... 143ef.html

I'm calling bull-excrement on that figure.

Call Central Parking or Park Omaha and inquire about finding parking downtown during the workday, and you'll find out something COMPLETELY different.

How do I know? I just lost my parking spot that I had been using for over 12 years; my contract was pulled because the building owner (the Omaha World-Herald) needed the spots. I started calling around, and found most other parking garages had long waiting lists. One probably had a list longer than the number of spots that actually exist in the garage.

The only spots I found were in the Old Market and north of the Civic Auditorium.

I suspect that the city may have included MECA's parking lots in their totals, but those spots are not available for workday parking.
The stat doesn't say each stall is available to any joe (you). Part of the problem indeed is that many stalls are very limited in access and therefore sit empty.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

Thing is, if you are a 5 day a week, 8-to-5 worker, you pretty much need your spot and have a pretty good idea where it is. You can't spend 20 minutes each day driving around downtown, going from garage to lot to garage, looking for a spot. The CenturyLink Center has enough daytime events (CWS, NCAA basketball, conventions) that they can't really open their lots to downtown employees. So yes, office employees need some sort of assured parking. Maybe you can overbook by 1%, but the day when everybody shows up to park and there is no room at the inn, there will be heck to pay. The boss isn't going to accept "my parking garage was full" as an excuse for not showing up to work.
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

We still need like two surface lots for the college world series. Not necessarily for the parking only, but to allow the tailgaiting and vendor space which help the series be as great as it is.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I spoke briefly with Dana Bradford this week and mentioned the Lot B development. He said MECA would start talking about this in the near future and when I asked about parking, he mentioned that the NCAA would be very concerned if they took away parking without replacing it elsewhere. When I mentioned the map that showed a possible garage to the SE of the CLink, he was quick to talk about Lot D, almost as if this would be built before the Lot B development.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Coyote wrote:I spoke briefly with Dana Bradford this week and mentioned the Lot B development. He said MECA would start talking about this in the near future and when I asked about parking, he mentioned that the NCAA would be very concerned if they took away parking without replacing it elsewhere. When I mentioned the map that showed a possible garage to the SE of the CLink, he was quick to talk about Lot D, almost as if this would be built before the Lot B development.
The wording in the last MECA meeting make that sound true.
Step two would be to move forward on the Lot B development
plan. Subject to the above step being achieved, MECA will lead a collaborative and interactive process
with its tenants, the City of Omaha, and other geographic and financial stakeholders. The objective of
this effort will be to arrive at specific development parameters that will serve to define the development
and uses on Lot B. Some examples of these parameters will include restrictions on business uses,
building height/parking ratios, the public cost to parking and the prohibiting of advertising banners.
Development of Lot B will commence only after the selected CC&R’s have been recorded against the
property and the requirements determined in step one built and available for use by MECA and its
tenants. We have a sense from the OSC, Creighton University and others as to what the parking
requirements need to be on Lot A and Lot D in order for them to feel comfortable that they can run their
businesses.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

HskrFanMike wrote:Thing is, if you are a 5 day a week, 8-to-5 worker, you pretty much need your spot and have a pretty good idea where it is. You can't spend 20 minutes each day driving around downtown, going from garage to lot to garage, looking for a spot. The CenturyLink Center has enough daytime events (CWS, NCAA basketball, conventions) that they can't really open their lots to downtown employees. So yes, office employees need some sort of assured parking. Maybe you can overbook by 1%, but the day when everybody shows up to park and there is no room at the inn, there will be heck to pay. The boss isn't going to accept "my parking garage was full" as an excuse for not showing up to work.
If you work and have difficulty finding parking downtown then it might be worth while to take the bus.
Athomsfere
Planning Board

Post by Athomsfere »

daveoma wrote:
HskrFanMike wrote:Thing is, if you are a 5 day a week, 8-to-5 worker, you pretty much need your spot and have a pretty good idea where it is. You can't spend 20 minutes each day driving around downtown, going from garage to lot to garage, looking for a spot. The CenturyLink Center has enough daytime events (CWS, NCAA basketball, conventions) that they can't really open their lots to downtown employees. So yes, office employees need some sort of assured parking. Maybe you can overbook by 1%, but the day when everybody shows up to park and there is no room at the inn, there will be heck to pay. The boss isn't going to accept "my parking garage was full" as an excuse for not showing up to work.
If you work and have difficulty finding parking downtown then it might be worth while to take the bus.
Or the trolly, light rail, subway... etc. that we really want.
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

Post by PotatoeEatsFish »

You might have to wait a few hundred years for a subway in Omaha.
#SaveTheUglyGrainSilos2024
mcarch
Library Board

Post by mcarch »

100% Totally Agree! I've been saying this for years.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

daveoma wrote:
You can't really address a parking vs. transit issue on a micro level. It shouldn't be framed as "if there is no parking you should just take alternate transportation." What the conversation should be like is if we invested more into our bus system spending or other forms of active transit that we could raise the % of people willing to commuting to work in other ways from 1% to 5% and unlock hundreds if not thousands of stalls DT on any given day.

The vast majority of people still need their cars in Omaha. There is a happy medium in between a parking spot for every car and that car's potential twin DT and completely stopping new parking options. The issue is are we as a city willing to find it because that is harder to figure out than the status quo of massive parking garages for peak times in every urban zone of the city and that parking can be shared at different times of day.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

City of Omaha working on updating downtown parking meters
What you pay for parking in certain spots in downtown Omaha depends on where you park your vehicle.

The city of Omaha is working on updating the parking situation in the downtown area and has plans to buy 5,000 new parking meters. Omaha city officials say downtown parking meters are outdated and need to be replaced.

Parking meters downtown need to catch up with technology. Right now, there are three different looks for parking meters downtown and if you look closely there are two different prices.
Omaha city officials are thinking about buying 5,000 new meter caps and making all the meters uniform. City parking officials say the new meters will be part of the new parking ecosystem wrapped around the street car system that will run thru downtown streets.

Even though city officials say parking meter technology is outdated you can still pay for parking with cash, card, or through an app. They will look at parking prices across the board to manage supply and demand.
City officials say there are still working on a contract to purchase the new meter caps, when the process is complete, officials will send out information to the public.
The streetcar project is really an all-inclusive effort. I am glad this will push the City to develop a more comprehensive parking plan, including developing new, shared parking structure, for urban Omaha.
Athomsfere
Planning Board

Post by Athomsfere »

ita wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:16 am City of Omaha working on updating downtown parking meters
What you pay for parking in certain spots in downtown Omaha depends on where you park your vehicle.

The city of Omaha is working on updating the parking situation in the downtown area and has plans to buy 5,000 new parking meters. Omaha city officials say downtown parking meters are outdated and need to be replaced.

Parking meters downtown need to catch up with technology. Right now, there are three different looks for parking meters downtown and if you look closely there are two different prices.
Omaha city officials are thinking about buying 5,000 new meter caps and making all the meters uniform. City parking officials say the new meters will be part of the new parking ecosystem wrapped around the street car system that will run thru downtown streets.

Even though city officials say parking meter technology is outdated you can still pay for parking with cash, card, or through an app. They will look at parking prices across the board to manage supply and demand.
City officials say there are still working on a contract to purchase the new meter caps, when the process is complete, officials will send out information to the public.
The streetcar project is really an all-inclusive effort. I am glad this will push the City to develop a more comprehensive parking plan, including developing new, shared parking structure, for urban Omaha.
It's be nice if those caps showed you more info when you park from the app... Random thought.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with parking is heading. Adding them to Benson is still on, right?
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Please tell me someone in the city is progressive enough to think about some sort of dynamic parking rate model, similar to this:

https://www.itskrs.its.dot.gov/its/bene ... 7600521371

Monday nights in February when its 0 degrees out and zero events going on, meter parking could be basically free. Friday nights in the fall during a CHI concert and a Steelhouse show and a Orpheum show and a Holland show, or basically any time during the CWS make it $5/hr, or more if demand dictates.
Stable genius.
Athomsfere
Planning Board

Post by Athomsfere »

Big E wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:34 pm Please tell me someone in the city is progressive enough to think about some sort of dynamic parking rate model, similar to this:

https://www.itskrs.its.dot.gov/its/bene ... 7600521371

Monday nights in February when its 0 degrees out and zero events going on, meter parking could be basically free. Friday nights in the fall during a CHI concert and a Steelhouse show and a Orpheum show and a Holland show, or basically any time during the CWS make it $5/hr, or more if demand dictates.
Didn't they do that during CWS and everyone was up in arms over the prices?

That said, parking downtown should never be any cheaper than what it is now, IMO. We should be encouraging walking, biking, busses and soon the streetcar. We should never encourage driving. The sooner we get cars out of the city when non-essential the sooner our downtown is a healthy core.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Athomsfere wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:19 pmDidn't they do that during CWS and everyone was up in arms over the prices?
It's Omaha. If it isn't paid for by someone else or within half a block, people will |expletive| about it.
Stable genius.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Big E wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:14 pm
Athomsfere wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:19 pmDidn't they do that during CWS and everyone was up in arms over the prices?
It's Omaha. If it isn't paid for by someone else or within half a block, people will |expletive| about it.
I literally just read an article today for my grad classes about how SF did this and had similar results. Also helps people find parking easier so they spend less time cruising around looking for it.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Athomsfere
Planning Board

Post by Athomsfere »

Garrett wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:29 pm
I literally just read an article today for my grad classes about how SF did this and had similar results. Also helps people find parking easier so they spend less time cruising around looking for it.
Are you saying there is a real reason to use this demand parking pricing?
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Athomsfere wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:48 pm
Garrett wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:29 pm
Are you saying there is a real reason to use this demand parking pricing?
Pretty much. 10 different studies in central cities conducted between 1974 and 2011 in various downtowns found on average 34% of cars on the road were looking for parking. A 2011 study in 15 blocks of downtown LA found that people driving around just looking for parking drove a combined 1.5 million kilometers, or 38 trips around the earth or 4 round trips to the moon. A lot of these programs have helped under used blocks attract more parkers, while freeing up more in demand spaces. If I'm gonna pick up something in the Old Market, I may be ok with spending $1 for 15 minutes of parking, whereas if I'm going for a night out I may want to park a couple blocks away and spend $5 for 5 hours.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

We already have tiered pricing based on proximity to destinations. I assume it will be part of the plan and refined. It's referenced in the article:
Downtown on Farnam between 12th and 13th Street, if you park on the south side of the street and use the older meters it will cost you 75 cents an hour to park. But if you pull up right across the street on the north side to a newer parking meter, it will cost you $1.25 to park.
Mapguy
Home Owners Association

Post by Mapguy »

What I never got on the parking app is why every zone is 115. Whats the point of inputting a zone to pay if the entire city is in zone 115?

Here's a novel idea ive wanted for a while. Lets meter all the side streets in blackstone and make those meters start from 4pm-2am. Its impossible to find off street parking in Blackstone when you visit because all those spots are taken by residents.

To me the point of street parking should never be to park your car for 12 hours---it should be a temporary thing.

With a new streetcar and ORBIT bus I dont see why some Blackstone residents cant start to jettison their cars---paying a meter nightly would make it just inconvenient enough for residents to find off street parking or get rid of their cars.

Ive never had an issue parking downtown. Blackstone is a nightmare to find parking.