Downtown parking update?

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Big E
City Council

Downtown parking update?

Post by Big E »

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120217/N ... wn-parking
Led by the recommendations of a nationwide parking consultant, city officials are considering lower rates for city-owned garage spots and low-demand parking meters.
The flip side: Meter enforcement hours could stretch into evening hours — potentially as late as 9 p.m., instead of the typical 5 p.m. weekday cutoff.
So basically they paid someone $15,000 to tell them to read what we've been posting on here for the last 7 years.
Stable genius.
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Downtown Parking Changes

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

Big changes proposed for downtown parking

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120217/N ... wn-parking
The hunt for elusive street parking on a busy evening in the Old Market could get easier, if sweeping changes proposed for the downtown parking system work as intended.

Some of the changes could save you money. Others could cost you.
Led by the recommendations of a nationwide parking consultant, city officials are considering lower rates for city-owned garage spots and low-demand parking meters.

The flip side: Meter enforcement hours could stretch into evening hours — potentially as late as 9 p.m., instead of the typical 5 p.m. weekday cutoff.
While dozens of cars burn gas in search of free on-street parking on a typical Friday night in the Old Market, open spots at nearby city-owned garages sit empty.
"Our system is just broken," said City Traffic Engineer Todd Pfitzer. "The highest demand spots are free, and the lowest demand ones cost the most. It's completely backwards."

City Council members have been briefed on the consultant's report, which was paid for by the city and other interested parties, including the Metropolitan Entertainment and Convention Authority, the Omaha Downtown Improvement District Association, the Metropolitan Area Planning Agency and the Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce.

The City of Omaha put $15,000 toward the roughly $84,500 study, said Joe Gudenrath of the downtown improvement district.
Under its recommendations, high-demand parking meters in the Old Market could jump to $2 or more per hour, if credit card readers are installed and restrictions on the length of time people can stay
Dusty
Human Relations

Post by Dusty »

I think they should convert a few parking spots for bike parking. One parking spot can generally hold up to 10 bikes. Place them around downtown.

StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I have suggested this in the past. This would be SO easy for the City to do, and the positive externalities would be exponential.

This is partly what's so crazy to me; that other modes of transportation seem completely absent from this study. It seems nothing more than a pricing scheme. The high ups in our city really haven't realized the immense power they hold with how they carry out their parking policy.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

I would definitely appreciate some bike parking in the downtown area.  I'm always left with finding the least-obnoxious streetlamp or signpost to lock up to.

The library is ridiculous; they have one tiny bike rack which is usually full, and signs all over warning you not to lock up to the handrail on the west side.  Wouldn't that indicate they need a bigger bike rack?  I'll bet a bike rack costs less than their electric bill for one day.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Best way to tell if someone in the Old Market is visiting or from Omaha?  When you overhear them getting more excited to get the street parking back around the Hyatt and new apartment than they are about the actual buildings.
swgiust
Library Board

Post by swgiust »

The parking situation in the Old Market just shows how out of touch local government can be.

Let charge people to park on the lowest demand times, 8-5 M-F. But give it away for free on
the highest demand times. Evenings and weekends.

If you have ever walked around the Old Market early on a Saturday or Sunday morning, most
of the parking spots are already filled. This means either people who work or live in the OM are
using them. Those cars will take up valuable parking all weekend.

If I ran the parking authority I would lower the cost of parking in the HUGE parking garage to
$ 3 or $ 4 per NIGHT. Make it so cheap the everybody will park there.

Then I would take the meters to $ 4.00 an HOUR on evenings and weekends. Want to park
right in front of your restaurant, fine, but its gonna cost you.

If you truly understand the parking situation in the OM, you will realize that the on street parking
does not move. This is not helping anybody's business.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

swgiust wrote:The parking situation in the Old Market just shows how out of touch local government can be.

Let charge people to park on the lowest demand times, 8-5 M-F. But give it away for free on
the highest demand times. Evenings and weekends.

If you have ever walked around the Old Market early on a Saturday or Sunday morning, most
of the parking spots are already filled. This means either people who work or live in the OM are
using them. Those cars will take up valuable parking all weekend.

If I ran the parking authority I would lower the cost of parking in the HUGE parking garage to
$ 3 or $ 4 per NIGHT. Make it so cheap the everybody will park there.

Then I would take the meters to $ 4.00 an HOUR on evenings and weekends. Want to park
right in front of your restaurant, fine, but its gonna cost you.

If you truly understand the parking situation in the OM, you will realize that the on street parking
does not move. This is not helping anybody's business.
Parking for the OM condo people is a choice of sketchylley parking, streets, or long term lots.   I think you may be on to something.
byrdrules
Home Owners Association

Post by byrdrules »

swgiust wrote:If you have ever walked around the Old Market early on a Saturday or Sunday morning, most
using them.
Those cars will take up valuable parking all weekend.
This could also mean that the people frequenting the bars downtown did the safe thing and took a cab home the night before as well...
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

byrdrules wrote:This could also mean that the people frequenting the bars downtown did the safe thing and took a cab home the night before as well...
:lafcry:
Stable genius.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

byrdrules wrote:This could also mean that the people frequenting the bars downtown did the safe thing and took a cab home the night before as well...
Ever try getting a taxi in downtown Omaha around bar closing time?
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

Omababe wrote:
Ever try getting a taxi in downtown Omaha around bar closing time?
You ever try getting a decently priced cab in Omaha?
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

You ever been in a Turkish prison?
Stable genius.
byrdrules
Home Owners Association

Post by byrdrules »

Big E wrote:You ever been in a Turkish prison?
I would take a Turkish prison over attempting to use our "cab service" any day of the week.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

I take cabs all the time when I'm back in Omaha. Granted it's usually around Christmas time so I'm using the Safe Ride Home free cab deal. But when I have paid for cabs it's been reasonably priced compared to cabs in other similar sized cities. Or at least, that's what I seem to remember...:cheers:  :barf:

I have street-hailed cabs in Omaha before, but usually I just program the number into my phone at the beginning of the night, knowing I'll probably need to call them at some point.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

byrdrules wrote:I would take a Turkish prison over attempting to use our "cab service" any day of the week.
I can count the times I've used a taxi in Omaha on one hand, but I've never had any issues except getting one at certain times.

I've never considered Omaha taxis to be overpriced. In my 30-some years here I think I've heard a grand total of one case of long-hauling.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

New parking meters bring convenience to downtown Omaha
Meters allow drivers to pay with credit, debit cards instead of change

KETV wrote:About 300 of the new meters are in the budget for this year. Drivers can adjust the amount of time with the touch of a button and pay with a swipe of their credit or debit card.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

In this week's Old Market Business Owner meeting, they mentioned that they are looking at technology that will be able to tell you where empty meters are at via a cell phone app!
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

Brad wrote:In this week's Old Market Business Owner meeting, they mentioned that they are looking at technology that will be able to tell you where empty meters are at via a cell phone app!
Please tell me this would somehow work even after 5 and on weekends when meters are free because I would pay any amount for this app.

I think I did 3 laps of the Old Market Friday looking for a spot before finding a meter in front of Rock Bottom.

Also is there a better feeling in the world than driving down a Old Market street looking for a spot and seeing reverse lights come on. That feeling will rank higher than my first born child in my book.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I have no idea how it would work after 5pm or on the weekends.

I am the opposite (if my wife isn't with me),  I usually go where I know there will be empty spots and walk.  I get too frustrated circling the Old Market.  Usually head to the 10th street bridge or Farnam and park and walk.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

cp jay 07 wrote:
Brad wrote:In this week's Old Market Business Owner meeting, they mentioned that they are looking at technology that will be able to tell you where empty meters are at via a cell phone app!
Please tell me this would somehow work even after 5 and on weekends when meters are free because I would pay any amount for this app.

I think I did 3 laps of the Old Market Friday looking for a spot before finding a meter in front of Rock Bottom.

Also is there a better feeling in the world than driving down a Old Market street looking for a spot and seeing reverse lights come on. That feeling will rank higher than my first born child in my book.
If that is in fact how they are inteded to be set up what in your wildest dream makes you think that would keep someone from parking there?
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Take out the street parking on Friday and Saturday.  Sprawl chairs and tables into the streets and let you carry your cups in the street.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Sounds like a good idea for an app....but in reality you'd probably end up with a bunch of people blocking lanes while staring at their phones looking for a spot....or worse, not looking where they are driving.  Circling like a vulture will probably remain the best way to find a spot. We gave-in and parked at a $5 pay lot on the NE corner of 11th and Harney last night...The new (for us) pay system worked pretty slick. I hadn't been to the OM for a few months, so I was also surprised to see a stop light/crosswalk at 11th and Harney....welcome change, although I wish they would have added some brick planter nodes like 11th & Howard to shorten the perceived distance across the intersection...sorry, I'm drifting off-topic.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

nebugeater wrote:
cp jay 07 wrote:

If that is in fact how they are inteded to be set up what in your wildest dream makes you think that would keep someone from parking there?
Oh I drive like Dale Earnhart when I see an open spot, its like blood in a pool of Sharks. Don't stand between me and my free parking.
Take out the street parking on Friday and Saturday.  Sprawl chairs and tables into the streets and let you carry your cups in the street.

Now that's a good idea and even something I won't |expletive| about giving up free parking for.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Brad wrote:I have no idea how it would work after 5pm or on the weekends.

I am the opposite (if my wife isn't with me),  I usually go where I know there will be empty spots and walk.  I get too frustrated circling the Old Market.  Usually head to the 10th street bridge or Farnam and park and walk.
My IQ drops into the negative digits when trying to find a parking spot, so I do what you do when I'm downtown and park by Durham. I need the exercise anyways.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

jessep28 wrote:
Brad wrote:I have no idea how it would work after 5pm or on the weekends.

My IQ drops into the negative digits when trying to find a parking spot, so I do what you do when I'm downtown and park by Durham. I need the exercise anyways.
I've seen the 10th street bridge fill up pretty quick. South of Jackson is gold mine for free parking though, if all else fails I go south of Jackson and can usually snag a spot.

I have also figured out if I know I am not going to drink that much and will drive home or have a DD for my car that on Friday nights they bag the meters in front of Spaghetti Works for the Famers Market and as long as your car is moved by 4 AM Saturday morning you can still park there Friday night. Those spots are always open cause people see the no parking bags and drive right by, if you are drinking to forget though, which I am most Frisday, those spots don't work obviously.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

cp jay 07 wrote: I have also figured out if I know I am not going to drink that much and will drive home or have a DD for my car that on Friday nights they bag the meters in front of Spaghetti Works for the Famers Market and as long as your car is moved by 4 AM Saturday morning you can still park there Friday night. Those spots are always open cause people see the no parking bags and drive right by, if you are drinking to forget though, which I am most Frisday, those spots don't work obviously.
I understand the bagging of meters for preparing for something like farmers market but last Friday I went to taste of Omaha and saw several bagged meters on 13th and 14th street around dodge. Nothing was going on just not sure why they bagged them. I when I eft that some had parked at the bagged meters.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Bagged meters just indicate some entity reserved the spot from the city for an extended period of time.  Very common around construction sites for dumpsters, safety, etc.

I don't know the details on how one reserves a spot.  I'm under the impression it is up to the person/entity that has reserved the spot to call and have someone towed/ticketed if it's being used without permission.
Stable genius.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Big E wrote:Bagged meters just indicate some entity reserved the spot from the city for an extended period of time.  Very common around construction sites for dumpsters, safety, etc.

I don't know the details on how one reserves a spot.  I'm under the impression it is up to the person/entity that has reserved the spot to call and have someone towed/ticketed if it's being used without permission.
I understood one set as they were across the street fro gallivanting construction. The other block bagged. There was nothing going on at 6:00 on a friday night
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Uffda wrote:
Big E wrote:Bagged meters just indicate some entity reserved the spot from the city for an extended period of time.  Very common around construction sites for dumpsters, safety, etc.

I understood one set as they were across the street fro gallivanting construction. The other block bagged. There was nothing going on at 6:00 on a friday night

They were staged there for emergancy use if you needed it for that late night bar pickup
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

nebugeater wrote:
Uffda wrote:

They were staged there for emergancy use if you needed it for that late night bar pickup
:lol:
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Used the new Credit Card Meters today!  Love them!

My change has permanently been retired!
lisanstan
Library Board

Post by lisanstan »

I always park in the Harney St garage. It's never full and brings you right out where you need to be in the Old Market. Cheaper than parking lots.
Coyote
City Council

Re: Downtown parking update?

Post by Coyote »

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Awesome! I love the new meters and this is even better!

I hate when I get stuck at one of the old Coin Only meters like over by the Flatiron...
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Downloaded the app today. I am going to give it a try this afternoon when I head down to the gallery.
brick
New to the Neighborhood

Post by brick »

It is great. All you do is type in the meter number into the app and select the time (you also have to enter credit card info the first time).

It sends you a text when your time is about to expire and you have the option to extend.
schumatt
Home Owners Association

Post by schumatt »

My first experience with the new parking system yesterday didn't go so well.

Got to the Upstream at 3:30 PM and used the mobile site to pay for an hour. That all went well. I was definitely keeping an eye on the time, and logged back into the site about 5 minutes before my hour expired (confirmed by the countdown displayed when I logged back in). Knowing I was at least 10-15 mins from leaving (server was trying to split up our bill), I tried to extend my time, which is a feature the site offers. The site, however, kept timing out with a message that I had a poor connection. I didn't; all other data traffic on my phone was working fine, and I could navigate everywhere else on the parking site, just not complete the renewal transaction. I thought there was a feature that was supposed to send me a text when my time was about to expire, but that never came. So, I figured I'd just let it expire and immediately start a new hour... except the meter number was nowhere to be found in the history. [I did later find it buried in the history.]

I got out to the meter 11 minutes after my time expired, just in time to see the enforcement van pulling away after leaving me a $16 ticket. I definitely plan to protest it. If they're going to offer the mobile payment, all the advertised features need to work. I'm an IT guy, so I understand there can be glitches, but the renewal transaction failed, the expiration warning text never came, and the UI doesn't properly expose the one piece of information that I needed to avoid a ticket.

All that said, I love the idea of the system and I'll probably try it again, but it was a really bad first experience.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I wasn't able to get it to work yesterday either.

At first I was getting the poor connection error so I moved and then I couldn't get past the pin. It told me to establish a pin, then confirm the pin and hit save. I would hit save and nothing would happen. So I just got out and stuck my card in it. Yesterday was a perfect day to use the mobile app because it was wet and cold outside and my arms were full...
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

brick wrote:It is great.  All you do is type in the meter number into the app and select the time (you also have to enter credit card info the first time).  

It sends you a text when your time is about to expire and you have the option to extend.
My two biggest complaints with the app are that you cannot select a time interval equal to the smallest coin that the meter can accept (e.g. most 10-hr meters take nickels, dimes, quarters, but app only lets you select time in 1 hr increments), and the other being if you neglect to clear the reminder that you get when your time is about to expire, the display never dims and it sucks the life out of your cell phone battery in short order.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan