Downtown parking update?

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

PrismA3D
New to the Neighborhood

Re: Downtown parking update?

Post by PrismA3D »

Just used the new app, and just got my first parking ticket ever! not cool! The app states that the meter reader will verify whether or not you are using the app, since the meter does not show that it has been paid, before deciding to give a ticket. Well I had half an hour left on my paid time and I still received a ticket. Now I have to dispute the ticket. While this app would be a great tool, I certainly can't continue receiving and disputing tickets just so I can use the app.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Why could it not be programmed to start the meter once you park, and then stop the meter and pay by credit card once you leave, instead of prepaying for a specific time allotment. Even if the credit card takes out a $5 charge at the beginning and then credits you back the amount overdrawn...
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:Why could it not be programmed to start the meter once you park, and then stop the meter and pay by credit card once you leave, instead of prepaying for a specific time allotment. Even if the credit card takes out a $5 charge at the beginning and then credits you back the amount overdrawn...
Its a good idea, but I am guessing people would forget to stop it when they leave, then drive off, and later call and want a refund.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Out shooting photos this morning when someone placed this on my car's windshield at Heartland of America Park.

iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

So does that mean under 3 hours is still free? Or is there an hourly fee for the park too?
schumatt
Home Owners Association

Post by schumatt »

3 hours max for parking at a city park seems kind of ridiculous. I can understand a limit on weekdays during the day, but at night and on weekends? This doesn't really encourage people to come downtown and enjoy the parks, restaurants, shopping, etc. Maybe they want to encourage people to use Lyft or Uber instead. Oh wait...
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Not sure, it seems kind of vague. I just assumed it was Monday - Friday like the meters.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Sounds like meters that have a 3 hour limit to them. I wonder how much that 3 hours will cost though...
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

schumatt wrote:3 hours max for parking at a city park seems kind of ridiculous. I can understand a limit on weekdays during the day, but at night and on weekends? This doesn't really encourage people to come downtown and enjoy the parks, restaurants, shopping, etc. Maybe they want to encourage people to use Lyft or Uber instead. Oh wait...
I believe that the story in the World Herald stated that the 3 hour time limit was on the weekdays. It is to discourage people from parking there for work since the lot is meant for the park. It did mention that you can purchase a monthly pass that needs to be displayed in the vehicle if you want to park there all day during the week.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

There were close to 20 cars parked there this morning around 8am. All on the far west end.

There were zero people in the park besides me.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

skinzfan23 wrote:
schumatt wrote:3 hours max for parking at a city park seems kind of ridiculous. I can understand a limit on weekdays during the day, but at night and on weekends? This doesn't really encourage people to come downtown and enjoy the parks, restaurants, shopping, etc. Maybe they want to encourage people to use Lyft or Uber instead. Oh wait...
I believe that the story in the World Herald stated that the 3 hour time limit was on the weekdays.  It is to discourage people from parking there for work since the lot is meant for the park.  It did mention that you can purchase a monthly pass that needs to be displayed in the vehicle if you want to park there all day during the week.
The parking lot as made for the HoA Park patrons, but during the workday the lot is full of DT employees. To make it harder for the latter to park there they are making it a 3 hour limit to deter people from using it as their working parking lot, so that visitors to the park can actually find a spot to park there. I had mentioned this in the HoA Park thread...
schumatt
Home Owners Association

Post by schumatt »

skinzfan23 wrote:I believe that the story in the World Herald stated that the 3 hour time limit was on the weekdays.  It is to discourage people from parking there for work since the lot is meant for the park.
That's good, as it should be.
schumatt
Home Owners Association

Post by schumatt »

According to the new signs, the 3 hour limit is Monday - Friday, but no mention of specific hours. I guess it's assumed that it would be during normal enforcement hours, but nothing specifically says that. Typical of Omaha to almost get it right!
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

That's where I've been parking for years for UNO hockey.

Greg
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Anyone else use the Parking App on their phone?

It's really seems to work great. However the actual meter never shows the time you put in it. I am guessing the City Parking Truck's computer shows it? I have never got a ticket when using the phone app, but the blinking red lights always makes me wonder....

The only other "problem" is when you use the app, if the person before you still has 20 min, you loose that time when you use the app.
schumatt
Home Owners Association

Post by schumatt »

Yep, I have a Windows Phone, so no app for me... but the mobile website works really well. My only issues was the first day I used it, as I mentioned earlier in this thread. (It failed to let me back in to extend my time and I got a ticket; the site for paying tickets online SUCKS, especially if you protest the ticket as I did.) I have used it probably 8-10 times since then and it has been flawless since then. I like the text reminder a few minutes before the session expires.

You are correct that the meter enforcement crew's device shows the active session through the app/website even though the meter doesn't reflect it. I read that in an FAQ on the website, I think.

The only strange thing I've found is that not all meters have the zone/meter # stickers on them yet. The 19th street block between Dodge & Douglas was missing them... and that was the one day I was counting on using the app. Managed to dig out some nickels from the bottom of the storage bin in my car, thankfully. :)

I was cautiously skeptical, especially given my first experience, but overall I'd say this is something Omaha got right.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Everyone ready for plugging meters until 9 and on Saturdays?

I love the move to make garages more affordable while street parking becomes a premium. I am sure John Q Public will throw a fit though.
mr. omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by mr. omaha »

What needs to happen is this:

Make all the garages available for daily/hourly parking and make all of the signage and ticket vending machines the same - I know they are starting/trying to brand these things, but it irritates the OCD in me to no end that the brand is PARKOMAHA and all the garages are OMAHAPARK - why are they not the same!?!?!?!? Also, there are SO many unused outdated hand painted janky looking signs and busted machine kiosks at the garages. If it's broke or doesn't work GET RID OF IT! Clearly mark and clean up the entrances and make them look appealing and safe and inviting and people will be ok parking there. Make the first hour free too, or something, then a buck an hour after that. Make it as simple as a meter. Additionally, the garages that are now monthly only - at least offer up SOME daily parking. That way EVERY garage that you pull up to provides the option to park there. Make the Union Pacific garage available for daily parking too. That thing is empty after 6 and is a city block size joke if it's not being offered for daily. Finally, and this is HUGE, get rid of the trolls that run the surface lots under I-480 that have those crappy signs and shacks and who don't maintain the landscaping. Clean those lots up, get new branded signs and kiosks, install lighting, clean up the landscaping, and make those lots look inviting. Walking from the city core to north downtown past those lots is an absolute embarrassment.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

iamjacobm wrote:Everyone ready for plugging meters until 9 and on Saturdays?

I love the move to make garages more affordable while street parking becomes a premium. I am sure John Q Public will throw a fit though.
So does this mean that the public will be able to park in any city parking garage? I thought only certain garages were open for new cars in the evening.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

mr. omaha wrote:What needs to happen is this:

Make all the garages available for daily/hourly parking and make all of the signage and ticket vending machines the same - I know they are starting/trying to brand these things, but it irritates the OCD in me to no end that the brand is PARKOMAHA and all the garages are OMAHAPARK - why are they not the same!?!?!?!? Also, there are SO many unused outdated hand painted janky looking signs and busted machine kiosks at the garages. If it's broke or doesn't work GET RID OF IT! Clearly mark and clean up the entrances and make them look appealing and safe and inviting and people will be ok parking there. Make the first hour free too, or something, then a buck an hour after that. Make it as simple as a meter. Additionally, the garages that are now monthly only - at least offer up SOME daily parking. That way EVERY garage that you pull up to provides the option to park there. Make the Union Pacific garage available for daily parking too. That thing is empty after 6 and is a city block size joke if it's not being offered for daily. Finally, and this is HUGE, get rid of the trolls that run the surface lots under I-480 that have those crappy signs and shacks and who don't maintain the landscaping. Clean those lots up, get new branded signs and kiosks, install lighting, clean up the landscaping, and make those lots look inviting. Walking from the city core to north downtown past those lots is an absolute embarrassment.
Let me know when you decide to run for mayor, I'll vote for you.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

daveoma wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:Everyone ready for plugging meters until 9 and on Saturdays?

So does this mean that the public will be able to park in any city parking garage? I thought only certain garages were open for new cars in the evening.
I think the end game of the study is to use all of our parking resources more efficiently. There is a report somewhere that shows day time vs night time usage for Omaha garages.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

iamjacobm wrote: There is a report somewhere that shows day time vs night time usage for Omaha garages.
I know what you are talking about, but I couldn't find that. Here is a link to a map with all the parking spaces in downtown though.

http://www.mapacog.org/images/stories/d ... ng_map.pdf
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Found this gem in the OWH's Public Pulse today:
Downtown parking just gets worse

Why do downtown areas die? One answer is a lack of convenient parking. Even malls can die if they are too small and have limited parking.
If Omaha’s city government wants more people to come downtown, do they really think the answer is to increase the hours that the meters have to be fed?

Loy Schneider, Omaha
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

This will be a growing pain for people in this city no doubt. I actually think this should only be implemented in the crazy high demand OM and leave the street parking on the outside streets as it is. I have mentioned before that if people want to pay a premium for no walk more power to them, the people willing to park and walk a few blocks should be rewarded with free parking.

EDIT: One thing I do worry a little bit about making Saturday pay for parking is if it puts more drunk drivers on the road. A number of people leave their car DT after a night out, I have before. I hope parking tickets Saturday morning don't put people behind their wheels.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

I am slightly concerned this will have a negative impact. I don't care at all about it but can see how some would and make a decision to go elsewhere in town.
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

Kudos to the city of Omaha for doing the street overlays around 20th street downtown.
It was much needed.
:clap:
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

I don't know how practical it would be, but maybe the Old Market business district can enter into a validation agreement with the city parking garages. Customer eats at a restaurant, restaurant gives them reduced or free parking in a garage. Something like that may further reinforce that the meters are premium parking spots.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

jessep28 wrote:I don't know how practical it would be, but maybe the Old Market business district can enter into a validation agreement with the city parking garages. Customer eats at a restaurant, restaurant gives them reduced or free parking in a garage. Something like that may further reinforce that the meters are premium parking spots.
That's a really good idea.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

The garage on 10th & Jackson you pay upfront, like some other spots?
Omahan6301
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Omahan6301 »

As a resident of downtown this would be a terrible idea for downtown. I already pay for monthly parking so it doesn't matter for me directly but think anyone that wants to have guests over at night or people that stay in town for the weekend. I only have monthly fee garages near me so all guests have to park on the street. If I have a guest stay this means they have to either keep plugging a meter until 9pm at night and on Saturday or they have find another place to park. Omaha has a ton of momentum for apartment living but this ultimately could push me out of downtown and to Arkarben or Dundee. There has to be another alternative...

I often have friends that drive down to go to the bars on Friday, take an Uber home and come get their cars the Saturday. This would either mean people have to drive home or find a place they can leave their car over night. We don't want more drunk driving on the street.

In addition to residents, what about people that come downtown go out to eat then go to a show/concert/sporting event or museum. Aren't most of the meters for two hours? They would have to go plug meters multiple times during their downtown visit. One of the things nice about Omaha is that you can get a big city feel with the convenience of a smaller city, by making this change to parking I see it hindering the night life growth many of us are seeking..
Last edited by Omahan6301 on Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Midwestern
Home Owners Association

Post by Midwestern »

Doesn't Kansas City have a free parking garage for the Plaza district? Although that's probably a much different situation since it's pretty far from downtown so you wouldn't have people trying to park there all day for work.

I very much agree with making the parking meters more expensive than the garages but I don't think they should add Saturdays yet. They need to see what impact the 9 o'clock rule has before adding on Saturdays.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Midwestern wrote:Doesn't Kansas City have a free parking garage for the Plaza district? Although that's probably a much different situation since it's pretty far from downtown so you wouldn't have people trying to park there all day for work.
Several. Some are on the roofs of buildings and some are in the basements.
Midwestern
Home Owners Association

Post by Midwestern »

Brad wrote:
Midwestern wrote:Doesn't Kansas City have a free parking garage for the Plaza district? Although that's probably a much different situation since it's pretty far from downtown so you wouldn't have people trying to park there all day for work.
Several. Some are on the roofs of buildings and some are in the basements.
Does anyone have a map of which of the parking garages downtown are city-owned? We need to look into making certain parking garages free from 5:00 PM to 3:00 AM. If you want free parking, go to the free parking garage. If you want premium parking, pay the meter until 9 PM. That seems like a decent compromise.
Midwestern
Home Owners Association

Post by Midwestern »

Also parking garages probably seem less safe to people when it's just a parking garage, instead of a parking garage with some sort of retail/commercial activity on the bottom. Maybe this is the perfect opportunity for a free from 5PM-3AM Old Market parking garage that has retail and such on the bottom? 8)
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

Downtown Omaha is the most vibrant urban neighborhood between Chicago and Denver...I believe people will pay for parking for that very reason. Furthermore it's my understanding that these meters can be paid for using credit cards which is super easy. Swipe your card at 8 pm, then come back in the morning. If people don't want to pay a ton of money on parking, they'll take Uber or park at a cheaper meter.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

From Yesterday's Old Market Business Association Meeting.
Parking Plan:
-changes in the fall, media will be notified first / 60 to 90 days from now
-more people parking on street than in lots
-to change behaviors of residents and area staff, working on low price alternatives for residents and employees, but it wont be free
-better signage
-lower rates in garages, higher rates for street parking
-rates will be in flux until plan is accomplished
-30 days from announcement to implementation
-all meters have been or will be refurbished and new signage installed / some new lighting installed
-funds reinvested into program
-can use app and get a discount ($10 for $9)
-Merchants please remain positive with the media so that the public will receive as a positive change
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

I just learned last week cars with disability permits are exempt from metered parking.
15-17, 26, 32
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

MTO wrote:I just learned last week cars with disability permits are exempt from metered parking.
Makes sense.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

It's easy. Just avoid downtown. That's what I do. It's such a hassle for little benefit. Also everything is more expensive downtown.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:It's easy. Just avoid downtown. That's what I do. It's such a hassle for little benefit. Also everything is more expensive downtown.

No problem. Thanks for leaving a parking spot open for me.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!