Joslyn District

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Omahanerd
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Omahanerd »

What's the timetable for this project to come to fruition and they break some ground? It seems down the road, but it would be a nice project, and would significantly help midtown and downtown connect.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

They are still working on the neighborhood study.  We probably wont seem much until the current tower renovation is done and mostly occupied.  Hopefully by 2014 we can see some more infill projects being announced on the parking lots in the area.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

iamjacobm wrote:They are still working on the neighborhood study.  We probably wont seem much until the current tower renovation is done and mostly occupied.  Hopefully by 2014 we can see some more infill projects being announced on the parking lots in the area.

Which all in all would be pretty quick given how aggressive NuStyle has been, virtually single-handed, in transforming this area into an actually neighborhood.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Pretty cool addition to the area.  "Bench" a collaborative workshop at 24th and Harney.  Looks like they offer classes or you can just rent out space if you need to use tools or need work space.

http://benchomaha.com/

omadweller
Home Owners Association

Post by omadweller »

That's a great idea to get startup artists a foot in the door.  There's someone I'll be referring this to.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

City officials have big plans to transform area west of downtown

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130214/N ... f-downtown
Erin Golden WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:This month, the Omaha Planning Board approved the Joslyn Neighborhood Development Study. It's the result of a year-long process of surveys, public open houses and planning meetings. The 73-page report, which will go to the City Council for a vote, includes a long list of recommendations planners think would give the area an identity: “the new heart of downtown Omaha.”
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Will the report be on the city's website?  Either way I hope most of those 73 pages say residential.  The last thing we need is another "entertainment" district.  We would be much better served with 1000 new residents and neighborhood amenities.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

Was this ever posted anywhere? It's the 73 page study.

http://www.cityofomaha.org/cityclerk/im ... sc/316.pdf
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

iamjacobm wrote:Will the report be on the city's website?  Either way I hope most of those 73 pages say residential.  The last thing we need is another "entertainment" district.  We would be much better served with 1000 new residents and neighborhood amenities.
An entertainment district without the quotations would be nice, seeing how Lincoln beat us to the punch to have Nebraska's first, full-fledged entertainment district.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

RNcyanide wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:Will the report be on the city's website?  Either way I hope most of those 73 pages say residential.  The last thing we need is another "entertainment" district.  We would be much better served with 1000 new residents and neighborhood amenities.
An entertainment district without the quotations would be nice, seeing how Lincoln beat us to the punch to have Nebraska's first, full-fledged entertainment district.
If anything the Shamrock Development should try and get the open carry district inside it's courtyard.  I liked how in the report they went hard after the family friendly potential in this area.
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

Gun Slingers Alley? haha I assume you mean open drinks.. I suppose it will depend on the establishments in there if it ever got rowdy I assume they wouldn't have any in there that would get too out of control.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Re: Joslyn District

Post by ShawJ »

I'm not sure if this belongs in this thread because I'm not positive what the boundaries of the "Joslyn District" are, but I didn't really want to create a new thread.

However, one building I've noticed a lot lately is the old Hupmobile building.
Streeview link: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.257662, ... WWIUfQ!2e0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Property record: http://douglascone.wgxtreme.com/java/wg ... 0746210002" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

According to Wikipedia, this building was built in 1917 is on OMaha's list of endangered buildings. Does anyone know more about this building? I'd love to see it renovated with some of the progress happening near the area.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

ShawJ wrote:I'm not sure if this belongs in this thread because I'm not positive what the boundaries of the "Joslyn District" are, but I didn't really want to create a new thread.

However, one building I've noticed a lot lately is the old Hupmobile building.
Streeview link: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.257662, ... WWIUfQ!2e0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Property record: http://douglascone.wgxtreme.com/java/wg ... 0746210002" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

According to Wikipedia, this building was built in 1917 is on OMaha's list of endangered buildings. Does anyone know more about this building? I'd love to see it renovated with some of the progress happening near the area.

Hupmobile renovations
Midwestern
Home Owners Association

Post by Midwestern »

I wish there was more going on in this stretch. I was hoping The Highline would spur some projects in this area. The hotel on 24th is a good start but improving the look of the stretch between 20th street and Midtown Crossing should be super high on the priority list for the city. It kinda sucks that there are no north-south streets between 20th and 24th. How many years has it been like that? It'd be nice to return to some semblance of a working grid instead of the jumbled mess this whole area is street-wise. And I don't mean because of cars, I mean to make it pedestrian-friendly for future development.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Midwestern wrote:I wish there was more going on in this stretch. I was hoping The Highline would spur some projects in this area. The hotel on 24th is a good start but improving the look of the stretch between 20th street and Midtown Crossing should be super high on the priority list for the city.
It would be nice to see this area filled in so it's much more continual between DT and Midtown. What I consider "West Downtown" (which is 480 east) is not as dense as I'd like to see.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

150 more units u/c just SE of 24th and Harney.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

iamjacobm wrote:150 more units u/c just SE of 24th and Harney.
What's that one called?
15-17, 26, 32
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

MTO wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:150 more units u/c just SE of 24th and Harney.
What's that one called?
We've got it under Howard Street Apartment District. Not sure if they have a marketed name yet.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

I think it's just a matter of time before this area is built out. With available property in Old Market for apartment conversions or new builds getting pretty slim, this is a natural direction for growth. I think it's the same reason we're seeing more investment in 10th St. south of the Pacific.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

asherballa
New to the Neighborhood

Post by asherballa »

Senate candidate/Cupcake owner!

That house is a wonder on the inside. Intricate wood-working you won't see anywhere else outside of these old homes.