Super Walmart on 50th and Ames

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Trenton said on last Saturday's Grow Omaha, he heard a rumor that Super Walmart will build on 50th and Ames where the old Baker's was.
justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

I |expletive| hate WalMart but this is the best thing I have heard happening in North Omaha for YEARS. please let this be true.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I would be happy if ANYTHING goes in to this dead zone.

Post by Guest »

Possibly it will be a Neighborhood Market. According to the District Manager for the local Walmarts, there will be a total of 10. 6 have been announced and I know that they were looking at property in Northeast Omaha. That would be a perfect location.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

The site is not being considered for a neighborhood market at this point.  Its big enough for the whole enchilada.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

nativeomahan wrote:I would be happy if ANYTHING goes in to this dead zone.
Agreed, but this will keep ANYTHING else from ever coming into the neighborhood.

Still better than nothing, I guess.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

GetUrban wrote:
nativeomahan wrote:I would be happy if ANYTHING goes in to this dead zone.
Agreed, but this will keep ANYTHING else from ever coming into the neighborhood.

Still better than nothing, I guess.
It will bring traffic.  You will get others that will be attracted to that.  The keeping ANYTHING else from coming is not true.

Greg
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Yeah, I disagree with the notion that it will prevent anything else.  Most new super walmarts are platted with outlots specifically for standalone restaurants and strip malls.  Sure, you won't get fantastic high-end stores, but they do draw business.

Most of the people who would shop here probably just drive to the next store out west or on 72nd anyway, so I don't think it would drastically change the shopping market at 50th and Ames.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Walmart wouldn't invest in this neighborhood if they didn't think it was a good place to build a store.  It actually is a positive statement about north Omaha from a business standpoint.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Looks like this can move from the rumors on Monday.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote:Looks like this can move from the rumors on Monday.
What did I miss?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Brad wrote:
What did I miss?
Suttle has a press conference with a Wal-Mart rep at 11 today.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Walmart could bring new jobs to north O

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120407/NEWS01/704079878
Leia Mendoza WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Mayor Jim Suttle has called a press conference for Monday with Walmart representatives to announce a "major business development" in north Omaha, apparently at 50th Street and Ames Avenue.

Suttle has invited Ryan Irsik, a spokesman for Walmart, and Larry Jobeun, a local attorney who has often represented the retail giant in local proposals, to attend the press conference in the mayor's office at 11 a.m.
Leia Mendoza WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Asked in February about reports that Walmart would locate a store at the former Baker's site, Suttle said, "You're not supposed to know about that,"
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

iamjacobm wrote:
Brad wrote:
What did I miss?
So it looks like at 11 today we can finally move this to the Urban Developments section.

On a side note, someone I know told me that the building where this is just had new AC units installed two years ago and have never been used. And that chances are Walmart will just tear down the building and throw them away. Seems like such a waste!
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

It's official:

http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/Walm ... 73425.html
WOWT wrote:Walmart has its eye on 50th and Ames Avenue for its next store in the Omaha metro area. The retail giant announced plans Monday morning to build a supercenter at the site of a former Baker’s Supermarket store.

Walmart says construction will begin once its plan is approved by the city. The hope is to have the store open in 2014 providing about 275 jobs.
http://www.omaha.com/article/20120409/N ... on-by-2014
Leia Mendoza, World-Herald Staff Writer wrote:The plan is to tear down a vacant Baker's Supermarket and an existing Family Dollar Store to make way for the 184,000-square-foot, full-service discount store.
justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

good news for the hood, yo.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

OSILayer8Support wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:
Brad wrote:
What did I miss?
So it looks like at 11 today we can finally move this to the Urban Developments section.

On a side note, someone I know told me that the building where this is just had new AC units installed two years ago and have never been used. And that chances are Walmart will just tear down the building and throw them away. Seems like such a waste!
I'm sure area small business owners who collect and sell scrap metal might have some use for them.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Seth wrote:Yeah, I disagree with the notion that it will prevent anything else.  Most new super walmarts are platted with outlots specifically for standalone restaurants and strip malls.  Sure, you won't get fantastic high-end stores, but they do draw business.

Most of the people who would shop here probably just drive to the next store out west or on 72nd anyway, so I don't think it would drastically change the shopping market at 50th and Ames.
Yeah, ANYTHING was too broad of a word to use. I was talking more about the inability of other retail to compete with Walmart once they come in. I hope we don't see other businesses within a few miles fail or relocate because of it.  You have to be careful not to overestimate the drawing power of a big anchor store. Take Sorensen Park Plaza at 72nd and Sorensen Parkway as an example. It has a Target, Movie Theater, Petsmart, Office Max, Marshalls, Big Lots, Dress Barn, Famous Footware, etc., but many outlots and already-constructed retail bays have been very slow to fill, slower than you'd expect.....at least compared to the new density and selection of retail you see out on the West Center corridor, beyond 156th St. Even with several new subdivisions going in northwest of 72nd & Sorensen, the place has been surprisingly slow to fill-in.

But I really hope the new Walmart at 50th & Ames does become the catalyst for additional development in the area. It has the perception of the area being unsafe working against it though, however false that perception is.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

GetUrban wrote:But I really hope the new Walmart at 50th & Ames does become the catalyst for additional development in the area. It has the perception of the area being unsafe working against it though, however false that perception is.
If you read some of the comments on the World Herald article, you'd think this was being built in Somalia or something.  I don't know how the World Herald decides which articles comments are permitted on and which are not, but there is little insight gained in the comments that do get posted.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Seth wrote:
GetUrban wrote:But I really hope the new Walmart at 50th & Ames does become the catalyst for additional development in the area. It has the perception of the area being unsafe working against it though, however false that perception is.
If you read some of the comments on the World Herald article, you'd think this was being built in Somalia or something.  I don't know how the World Herald decides which articles comments are permitted on and which are not, but there is little insight gained in the comments that do get posted.
I agree. Most of the commenters are freaking idiots. As someone who's lived in west Omaha their entire life, I found most of their comments completely ridiculous.
mchine73
Home Owners Association

Post by mchine73 »

Lest we recall a 22 year old was shot less than three blocks from this location awaiting a bus not more than a week ago. . . At 11:30 in the morning.  Granted, gang violence here in Omaha is 99% of the time a targeted crime, but the store will certainly serve a purpose for the community.

To gloss over the fact that this stretch of Ames has seen it's fair share of violence is just as ignorant as those idiotic posters on WOWT and the World Herald.  Large stores like this attract a lot of people.  And should someone have a "beef" with someone and run into them at the local WalMart, what stops them from doing something dumb?  Clearly daylight and high traffic thoroughfares have a negligible effect on those perpetrating these horrible crimes.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

WalMart wears a hoodie.
Stable genius.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

A couple parking lot shootings here and there isn't going to stop Wal-Mart from flooding North Omaha with cheap goods, and why should it? I don't think any Wal-Mart could set a worse example than the CB Wal-Mart anyhow.
OldGeorge
New to the Neighborhood

Post by OldGeorge »

I don't know when the last time I was in a WalMart was, but this is good news - especially for that area.

I assume they'll completely tear the old Bakers' Store down, and start from scratch?
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

That's what I would expect. A lot of businesses move into old Wal-Marts, but I've never hear of Wal-Mart moving into an existing building.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Thanks for the site plan!  That's basically the same as it is now, only with the Wal-Mart replacing the Baker's building, right?
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Seth wrote:Thanks for the site plan!  That's basically the same as it is now, only with the Wal-Mart replacing the Baker's building, right?
It looks like it will extend back further towards Grand Ave compared to the current Baker's building:

Other than that, it is basically the same as it is now.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

There will definitely be a Popeye's Chicken in this Wal Mart.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

S33 wrote:There will definitely be a Popeye's Chicken in this Wal Mart.
I dunno, are you sure it won't be robbed too often to stay in business?
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Not sure, that me be a bit more racist than simply making light of a certain ethnicity's food favorites. So I won't go there. (Plus, I don't think it's possible rob a WalMart out of business)
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

S33 wrote:Not sure, that me be a bit more racist than simply making light of a certain ethnicity's food favorites. So I won't go there.
Yeah, good point.  Let's leave that to the Omaha.com commenters.
koberaptor
Home Owners Association

Post by koberaptor »

S33 wrote:There will definitely be a Popeye's Chicken in this Wal Mart.
Better hold on tight to your buckets, guys

advcomp2019
Home Owners Association

Post by advcomp2019 »

iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Good news.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

City Council Approves Plans for North Omaha Walmart
WOWT wrote:The City Council approved plans to move forward with a new full-service Walmart store at 50th and Ames at Tuesday's City Council meeting.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

I cant say who they will hire, or who will even apply but  if any of those in the parts of north O where unemployment is 25-30% get jobs here, and may still need public assistance, so be it.  It will have been an improvement.  Sometimes what we might consider a pretty crappy job is all there is or even all you're qualified for.  But, I know, its not as fun as bashing everything and acting as if you are more enlightened so carry on.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

It's not about being more "enlightened," it's common |expletive| sense.

You speak of North Omaha's unemployment at 25-30% like they're in some sort of isolated region without job opportunity, Metro Detroit if you will, when, in reality, they are smack dab in a region with less than 4% unemployment.

The point is, a Wal-Mart-type job can be found all over the metro, even in North O. It's about the lack of willingness to work, lack of job skill programs, and lack of upward mobility available to the low-income residents in the immediate area. So let's stop trying to make catchy headlines and call it what it is, more low-paying sh*t jobs with stagnant wages while cost-of-living increases.

But I get where you might be coming from, there is a chance this project could increase sales tax revenues for the city.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

S33 wrote:It's not about being more "enlightened," it's common |expletive| sense.

You speak of North Omaha's unemployment at 25-30% like they're in some sort of isolated region without job opportunity, Metro Detroit if you will, when, in reality, they are smack dab in a region with less than 4% unemployment.

The point is, a Wal-Mart-type job can be found all over the metro, even in North O. It's about the lack of willingness to work, lack of job skill programs, and lack of upward mobility available to the low-income residents in the immediate area. So let's stop trying to make catchy headlines and call it what it is, more low-paying sh*t jobs with stagnant wages while cost-of-living increases.

But I get where you might be coming from, there is a chance this project could increase sales tax revenues for the city.
Ah, so really the problem is every retail job in the city that is damn near the same?  We're in trouble.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

I'm just saying, every job that Wal-Mart will bring is already existing in the city, in some capacity. Open a Wal-Mart, close a K-Mart.  So, let's not tout this as economic development, because it's not.

Sorry, not trying to sounds like a dick. But I'd like to see a business expand, or a factory or distribuiton warehouse built, or a local start-up.