Leavenworth's Bright Future

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

iamjacobm
City Council

Leavenworth's Bright Future

Post by iamjacobm »

Leavenworth is often called a drug dealer and prostitute dominated area.  Which to be fair has been true for a while now, but it has made some big big moves recently that bode well for its future.

The massive $10 million improvements just west of the interstate.

Dedicated bike lanes later this month.

Large mural on Avanza.

The Trugs.

The new Shucks and Blue Flamingo, a vintiage/thrift retail store.

Ferguson's Bike Shop opened recently.

Back in the Day Antiques was voted best in the city.

Some really fantastic improvements over the past year, can't wait to see the momentum keep rolling.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Having lived within 3 block of Leavenworth for the past 2 years, I have seen a lot of progress.  With the new development at the southwest corner of Old Market and the significant redevelopment at Park Ave, that entire stretch is primed for continued progress.  Even with the remaining pocket of sketchiness near the public housing towers, it's far from the den of vice and crime some may associate it with.  I'm excited to see how it continues to transform.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

I wasn't aware of the new bike shop. Has anyone been yet?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

ShawJ wrote:I wasn't aware of the new bike shop. Has anyone been yet?
I haven't, but they are pretty much the only dealer of Public Bikes in a huge area.  Definitely sets them apart from other shops.

ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

That's pretty cool. I checked out their Facebook page and it seems like a neat place.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

The marquee on the old Kraft Furniture building said a dog boarding and daycare business is moving in.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

iamjacobm wrote:The marquee on the old Kraft Furniture building said a dog boarding and daycare business is moving in.
"Downtown Hound"
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

iamjacobm
City Council

Re: Leavenworth's Bright Future

Post by iamjacobm »

Both Blue Flamingo and the bar Connections are closed with their space up for lease. Hope something goes in there to partner with Shucks.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.omaha.com/money/after-fire-c ... ada7c.html
Fisher said the urban shift to 25th and Leavenworth Streets also seemed fitting for the family-owned company that has evolved from a production-focused operation that once churned out thousands of stackable chairs a month to today’s more creative business that custom-makes “Vegas glam” and other furniture styles for restaurants, bars and waiting areas.

“Leavenworth was a really art-infused street back in the day,” said Fisher, 37. “What we do is creative and artistic, and we think it’s a good fit.”

The move to the 21,000-square-foot former Paragon Printing building gives General Manufacturing about 7,000 square feet of more work space than the Carter Lake site where it had operated for five decades, much of that under the leadership of Fisher’s late father, James.

It puts the company that employs 12 people and averages about $1 million in annual revenue in a transitional corridor that area merchants and homeowners say is on an upswing.
Excited rather than afraid of the neighborhood’s history, Fisher paid $275,000 for the building and parking lot. He said the overall project, including the equipment, renovation and structure, is projected to cost about $750,000.

Plans call for the original part of the structure to be transformed into a showroom — highlighted by the early 1900s stamped tin roof, exposed brick and arched windows that were uncovered during interior demolition work.
When renovation is complete, the outside of the Leavenworth site also should look markedly different. A green and white block pattern will cover a main exterior wall, and special lighting will bounce off the company’s stenciled logo.

Also new will be windows on the upper level, as the original openings will be exposed.
SaveOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by SaveOmaha »

Amazing! It really does blow my mind how many old buildings are completely masked by mid/late 20th century "improvements."
Last edited by SaveOmaha on Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

SaveOmaha wrote:Amazing! It really does blow my mind how many old buildings are completely masked by mid/late century "improvements."
Yeah that building is a real head scratcher. Who would of ever thought that was a good idea. I think a green and white block design could be really cool for that dead space above the brick.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

A mural above the brick would look cool. Plus it would be high enough that the lazier vandals might not bother it.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Not sure what is happening at 1516 Leavenworth, but the entire front of this building is ripped out and new steel is jutting up from the space.

iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Woop, "Gallery 1516"

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

There is a thread for this project, I can't post it from my phone though...
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Shoot I missed that, my bad.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Shucks is getting a concert venue as a neighbor. "Milk Run"

http://www.thereader.com/story/new_conc ... uts_nov._7
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

iamjacobm wrote:Shucks is getting a concert venue as a neighbor. "Milk Run"

http://www.thereader.com/story/new_conc ... uts_nov._7

Sometimes you just have to get down and dirty with venues like this. I recently caught a show at Sokol and did it ever bring back memories. Ranch Bowl, Peony Park, the Swing, Lift Ticket, etc. Sometimes bigger isn't always better. Glad to see this space being used in such an awesome way!

-Casey
Brad
City Council

20th & Leavenworth (20th Street Liquor)

Post by Brad »

I thought we had a thread on this little building. Anyways it closed up and brand new windows have been put it. I think its going to be a nice little building when its done. Lots of potential. The windows are the right size too, not some cheap half |expletive| retrofit...
Lillian Bean
Home Owners Association

Post by Lillian Bean »

http://www.omaha.com/money/momentum-is- ... 8b5fc.html
The Leavenworth corridor east of I-480 sandwiched between downtown and midtown goes by a variety of names. At the intersection of the Park East and Columbus Park neighborhoods, the area has homelessness and empty buildings. It is known by commuters as a gateway to downtown.

But over the past few years the growing movement of urban revitalization has slowly found its way to this section of Leavenworth Street.
Thinking there's not a whole lot to say anymore now that people listen & she has to make sense.