inCommon Development | 1324 Park Ave

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

inCommon Development | 1324 Park Ave

Post by ShawJ »

From Alley Poyner Macchietto:

"The Park Ave Commons will be a safe and hospitable place for low-income and vulnerable residents to come together to build community, receive critical services, and develop essential personal and professional skills"

http://www.incommoncd.org/capital-campaign/
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

:coolwoot: Park Ave is alive and well!  This place looks stunning!
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

That red car looks difficult to drive.
koberaptor
Home Owners Association

Post by koberaptor »

I see a bike rack :D
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Any one happen to know if they are going to leave their current 13th street location or run both together?
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

This is exactly what Park Ave needs. A far right fundamentalist group thinking they can end poverty with "possession of committed, authentic, and purposed relationships"... with Jesus Christ. I hope it doesn't go anywhere. The area was better served by Shari's than this disgusting attempt at grabbing grant money for evangelical fanaticism.
DTO
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

DTO Luv wrote:This is exactly what Park Ave needs. A far right fundamentalist group thinking they can end poverty with "possession of committed, authentic, and purposed relationships"... with Jesus Christ. I hope it doesn't go anywhere. The area was better served by Shari's than this disgusting attempt at grabbing grant money for evangelical fanaticism.
I am by no means religious but your far left scares me a lot more than this example of your "far right".
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

The dude takes nice pictures, but he's crazier than |expletive|.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

http://incommoncd.org/about/values/
inCommon wrote:Gospel: The most severe poverty is spiritual in form and can only be eradicated by faith in the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. The Gospel of Jesus Christ transforms us from the inside out and allows us to truly identify, suffer with, and care for the poor. True freedom from all kinds of poverty, comes only through the Gospel.
Groups like these are a front for collecting grant money or donations but don't do a goddamn thing to really address massive social problems. These groups exist to assuage the guilt of the wealthy. Isolation does not cause poverty, our current economic system set to favor one class of people does. People don't need Jesus, they need jobs.

From the founder of FCS' (inCommon) website he outlines this philosophy quite bluntly. http://fcsministries.org/who-we-are/
Dr. Robert Lupton wrote:Bob is a Christian community developer, an entrepreneur who brings together communities of resource with communities of need.
He's a social worker middle man who funnels money into front groups so the wealthy can get tax write offs and the poor people think someone is responding their needs. It's all a sham.
DTO
Fromaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Fromaha »

DTO Luv wrote:http://incommoncd.org/about/values/
inCommon wrote:Gospel: The most severe poverty is spiritual in form and can only be eradicated by faith in the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. The Gospel of Jesus Christ transforms us from the inside out and allows us to truly identify, suffer with, and care for the poor. True freedom from all kinds of poverty, comes only through the Gospel.
Groups like these are a front for collecting grant money or donations but don't do a goddamn thing to really address massive social problems. These groups exist to assuage the guilt of the wealthy. Isolation does not cause poverty, our current economic system set to favor one class of people does. People don't need Jesus, they need jobs.

From the founder of FCS' (inCommon) website he outlines this philosophy quite bluntly. http://fcsministries.org/who-we-are/
Dr. Robert Lupton wrote:Bob is a Christian community developer, an entrepreneur who brings together communities of resource with communities of need.
He's a social worker middle man who funnels money into front groups so the wealthy can get tax write offs and the poor people think someone is responding their needs. It's all a sham.
So it would be better for the wealthy not to feel guilty and then groups like this wouldn't exist? People are ONLY gonna have Jesus, because they sure as heck won't find jobs with all these no talent A$$ clowns in government running our country into the ground. I would rather have groups like this using money thats freely given by people than having the government take it from them, then skim 50% off the top for "administrative costs" and mis-manage/appropriate the remaining funds. You are somewhat right about one thing - the current economic system favors the government class.
Fromaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Fromaha »

DTO Luv wrote:http://incommoncd.org/about/values/

So it would be better for the wealthy not to feel guilty and then groups like this wouldn't exist? People are ONLY gonna have Jesus, because they sure as heck won't find jobs with all these no talent A$$ clowns in government running our country into the ground. I would rather have groups like this using money thats freely given by people than having the government take it from them, then skim 50% off the top for "administrative costs" and mis-manage/appropriate the remaining funds. You are somewhat right about one thing - the current economic system favors the government class.
michaelsjewel
Home Owners Association

Post by michaelsjewel »

who cares if they are religious (I for one am not really) - but if they are re-doing the building to make it more appealing and thus, bringing more positive vibe to the area... what's wrong with that idea?

I mean, if they were there to start trouble, that would be bad. But Park Ave needs some help. I do like all the Urban Village development of apartments and such on Park Ave, but it'd be nice to see businesses change as well.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Fromaha wrote:
What would be better is if the corporate class paid taxes at a higher rate than their lowest level employees do, instead of taking money away from the general pool in the form of taxes, giving it to religious fanatic middlemen to doll out. Having a community center is not going to change the neighborhood for the better: Jobs will, fighting stagnant wages will, better transportation options will. ANYTHING is better than giving hundreds of thousands of dollars to a staff who's real motive is mission work, not ending poverty. This is a waste and an insult to people who actually need help.
DTO
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

michaelsjewel wrote:who cares if they are religious (I for one am not really) - but if they are re-doing the building to make it more appealing and thus, bringing more positive vibe to the area... what's wrong with that idea?

I mean, if they were there to start trouble, that would be bad. But Park Ave needs some help. I do like all the Urban Village development of apartments and such on Park Ave, but it'd be nice to see businesses change as well.
This isn't a community housing project. It's a way for people with money to get tax right offs and save face on not doing their part to really combat poverty (aka pay your |expletive| taxes).
DTO
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

Yes. Lets divide ourselves into us and "Those rich bastards" and behold how well it works.

Like it or not this center has so much potential to do awesome work in the neighborhood. Do not close your mind to what is possible. Furthermore, to bring and sustain the jobs that are so vital to changing neighborhoods, you need people with the abilities and mindsets to fill them. Otherwise, you'll simply push the poor back out to another poor neighborhood. Simple city mechanics.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Axel wrote:Yes. Lets divide ourselves into us and "Those rich bastards" and behold how well it works.

Like it or not this center has so much potential to do awesome work in the neighborhood. Do not close your mind to what is possible. Furthermore, to bring and sustain the jobs that are so vital to changing neighborhoods, you need people with the abilities and mindsets to fill them. Otherwise, you'll simply push the poor back out to another poor neighborhood. Simple city mechanics.
HA! We are already divided among "those rich bastards" and everyone else. I was an ignorant evangelical teenage capitalist like you once, but it gets better.

So what are these "abilities and mindsets" that the community center will give people? You have to be a christian to get a job? What jobs would this community center bring, other than maybe a few part time jobs? Hardly what I would call lifting anyone out of poverty like their mission statement claims. This will provide nothing of value for the area except to add to the gentrification of the area a la Midtown Crossing, which is really pushing the poor people to other areas. Evaluations as well as rent prices have risen in the area. This will keep it up.
DTO
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

DTO Luv wrote:
What would be better is if the corporate class paid taxes at a higher rate than their lowest level employees do, instead of taking money away from the general pool in the form of taxes, giving it to religious fanatic middlemen to doll out.
Why do you continue to spew these inaccuracies?  I posted why this claim (basically, Buffet's claim) is BS on your little Occupy Omaha facebook page and your response was essentially "well, I am not a tax accountant, but things are still unfair."  Yet, you come here and post the same garbage and expect it to fly?

Additionally, why did you ignore my questions to you on the POS UNO report (you commented here 20 minutes after those questions were posed)?
byrdrules
Home Owners Association

Post by byrdrules »

DTO Luv wrote:I was an ignorant evangelical teenage capitalist like you once, but it gets better.
The instant you call the opposing viewpoint "ignorant", you've already lost in my mind.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

While I have no specific knowledge about the people behind this redevelopment project:
1). I am happy that someone is investing in this troubled neighborhood
2). I hope they aren't using tax money to do it, if the basis of their message is sectarian.
3). Many religious people do good works for their community, whatever the reasons are behind their efforts.
4). On balance, organized religion is, in fact, an opiate to those who subscribe to its siren song.  If anything, that is an insult to opiates.
5). Rodney King may be dead, but I still subscribe to his message.  Can't we all just get along?  Treat people with the respect for which we would expect to be treated.  
6).  I may be a dreamer.  But I'm not the only one.
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

DTO Luv wrote:
Axel wrote:Yes. Lets divide ourselves into us and "Those rich bastards" and behold how well it works.

HA! We are already divided among "those rich bastards" and everyone else. I was an ignorant evangelical teenage capitalist like you once, but it gets better.

So what are these "abilities and mindsets" that the community center will give people? You have to be a christian to get a job? What jobs would this community center bring, other than maybe a few part time jobs? Hardly what I would call lifting anyone out of poverty like their mission statement claims. This will provide nothing of value for the area except to add to the gentrification of the area a la Midtown Crossing, which is really pushing the poor people to other areas. Evaluations as well as rent prices have risen in the area. This will keep it up.
You assume what you do not know in an attempt to invalidate what you do not agree with
Furthermore, you make it seem what you assume me to be makes me less competent then you. Everything in life requires  balance. Neither side holds or will ever hold the perfect solution, such is our nature.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

So... I think the new facade they'll be putting in will really freshen up this building.  :lol:
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Wow, how this turned into fist-pounding ranting against religion, charity, and an effort to help the poor and troubled is beyond me.

Oh, and if organizations like this are such a golden tax scam, then I think the Cayman Islands would be a little more worried about their competition.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Seth wrote:Wow, how this turned into fist-pounding ranting against religion, charity, and an effort to help the poor and troubled is beyond me.

Oh, and if organizations like this are such a golden tax scam, then I think the Cayman Islands would be a little more worried about their competition.

Welcome to a DTO detoured thread, there used to be a lot more with DTO, streets, and OmahaCowboy admining/posting.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Linkin5 wrote:Welcome to a DTO detoured thread, there used to be a lot more with DTO, streets, and OmahaCowboy admining/posting.
I think I must have missed the OmahaCowboy era.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Seth wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:Welcome to a DTO detoured thread, there used to be a lot more with DTO, streets, and OmahaCowboy admining/posting.
OmahaCowboy was/is a great poster.  Too bad he doesn't come around anymore.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

I think he must have been before my time, also...
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Per the members page he last visited April 1, 2012.  Not sure when he last posted though  (Omahacowboy)
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

nebugeater wrote:Per the members page he last visited April 1, 2012.  Not sure when he last posted though  (Omahacowboy)
Feb 22, 2010
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Brad wrote:
Seth wrote:
OmahaCowboy was/is a great poster.  Too bad he doesn't come around anymore.
He was good as a poster, I'm just happier with the mods on here now as opposed to then.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

They cut the modern remodel, but this place still looks so much better than if did.  

Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Yeah, they really have been working on this hard.  It's my impression that they did a lot of the work themselves, and with volunteer help.  I'm definitely glad to have them in the neighborhood.
Historic Omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Historic Omaha »

This building is the historic Julius (Jules) Newman Grocery
Historic photo from the Durham:
http://durhammuseum.contentdm.oclc.org/ ... 4078/rec/1

This building is a close twin to the Wohlner's Grocery (which used to be the Ben Newman Grocery before Wohlner's bought it).  As many already know, the Wohler's Grocery building was recently restored (w/ JCoco and Legend Comics as tenants)

Learn more about the Newmans, Hinky-Dinky and the Wohlners) at:

http://hinkydinky.net/hinky-dinky-history/

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... 3115,d.b2I

I am so glad they are keeping the historic character of the building instead of creating something that is trendy now, but will be an eyesore in 20 years.  Why fix architectural design that doesn't need fixing?  remember people used to love putting faux wood awnings and roof in the 1970s and people used to like covering up old facades in the 40s-60s.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

I agree.  Classic design always beats trendy.  I do like some of the newer urban architecture, but it only really works if it's consitent with the surroundings.

Thanks for sharing that photo; it's always neat to imagine what that area used to look like, and great to see it beginning to return.  Now, if only they were adding the streetcar tracks back in!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

What did they end up doing to this property? I know the original plan fell through but it doesn't look like they did much of anything that I can see?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

guitarguy wrote:What did they end up doing to this property? I know the original plan fell through but it doesn't look like they did much of anything that I can see?
Did you see the before and after pics on the first post?
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

Haha well thats embarrasing.. picture must not have loaded..   :what:
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Right around the corner form this they bulldozed a couple buildings.  I shot photos of the hole a couple weeks ago before I left on my trip, but I never got them posted. (actually I shot a lot of different update photos before the trip that never got posted).

This is one of those areas that could change character really fast.  You have the Ford Birth site/Field Club to the west and the newly remodeled Urban Village to the north.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

There's other work going on in the area as well.  The buildings across the street from InCommon are being remodeled and cleaned up.  They removed the plywood and steel paneling covering the original brick and installed full-size storefront windows again.  It looks like they're re-doing the interior of at least one, but I'm not sure what for.  One block to the north at Poppleton, both apartment buildings on the west side have been remodeled and look really nice.  They're definitely a lot of work left, but that whole strip of Park could be really nice.  Getting rid of the Midtown Gas & Grocery would help a lot, but we'll see what happens.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

The Mexican bakery on the south end of this remodeled building is truly awesome, by the way.