Baxter Arena (67th & Center Street)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Re: UNO's "Baxter Arena" @ Aksarben

Post by Brad »

Photo Update from Tonight:

Fresh03
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Fresh03 »

Great pics, Brad. I think they did a really good job with the landscaping as well. I can't wait to see the inside.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

This is really looking nice.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

This place looks great lit up at night.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Looking good. Great photos.

Some of the shapes on the outside of the building resemble hockey sticks...especially the red piece over the entry.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Thanks guys. And yes, they totally look like hockey sticks!

By the way, for those of you that are excited about "Lot B" downtown, you need to quit hating on this place. After driving the new roads twice yesterday, once in the afternoon and once in the evening when I shot these photos, the "Lexus Lot" and the "Infiniti Lot" could bu just like "Lot B" some day. They are totally set up perfectly for it and still have a great view of the Baxter from the intersection of center and 67th street.

Parking Lots:
http://www.nmnathletics.com/pics33/0/PG ... M_ID=31410
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Are the seats in the arena leather?

Also really like the look of the concession stand:
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/baxter- ... cc80b.html
Some UNO hockey fans were concerned the school wasn’t thinking big enough with its plans to build a 7,500-seat arena.

Now as the University of Nebraska at Omaha prepares today to formally cut the ribbon on the $82 million Baxter Arena, it turns out the venue is actually bigger than anyone had thought.

The recently completed final seat manifest for Baxter shows there are actually 7,898 seats — some 398, or 5 percent, more than originally planned.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

398 extra seats?
I can understand maybe 3, but how do you under estimate 398?
Did they actually have an extra 398 chairs on order they didn't account for?
Will there be a special auction for tickets?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

The article says the moved the press box up to add more suites, the student section ended up with a larger capacity and they have rail seats that are stools with a little table around the concourse.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Yeah I think UNO got creative. They know they undersized the seating capacity. This will help a little on the demand.

Greg
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Coyote wrote:398 extra seats?
I can understand maybe 3, but how do you under estimate 398?
Did they actually have an extra 398 chairs on order they didn't account for?
Will there be a special auction for tickets?
If you read the story it will answer all your ??? I believe, including ordering more seats and adding some stool seating on one end.

edit:
Sorry, didn't see the other post that basicly said the same thing in a nicer way.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Official capacity should be over 8,000 when counting athletes, officials, media, smart move by UNO.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

I laughed when I saw the headline in the paper this morning. They seriously didn't know how many seats they had? Didn't they think it was odd how they had to order a few hundred more seats? Yes I read the article, they explained where the extra space come from, but they didn't account for the extra seats? Hilarious
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

Also they mentioned how they gained dozens of extra "seats" from the rollout bleachers. I really don't know how that one is possible. Perhaps they just changed the seat measurement from 18 inches to 16 inches.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:I laughed when I saw the headline in the paper this morning. They seriously didn't know how many seats they had? Didn't they think it was odd how they had to order a few hundred more seats? Yes I read the article, they explained where the extra space come from, but they didn't account for the extra seats? Hilarious
Or they just made changes and didn't make it public until now...
Original
Home Owners Association

Post by Original »

Really excited to go to a Mavs basketball game here. I think it will be an excellent basketball arena, and nicely sized. They may not draw a lot to begin with, but if they can build on last year's successes, I think they'll get a pretty decent crowd.
twiztid1
Home Owners Association

Post by twiztid1 »

I think it's ugly on the outside with a poor layout. From pictures, it looks kind of basic on the inside. Did they really not construct the ribbon board to go a full 360 degrees? But it is awesome to have an arena branded for the home team in Omaha. All of our arenas have been generic multipurpose facilities. It's really cool to see UNO and hockey-themed finishes. It already feels more like home for the Mavericks than the CenturyLink ever did. They'll have a real home ice advantage again.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Here are a few quick pictures I took tonight during the Alumni open house.

iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Dang that is a heck of a venue. UNO has a home for decades to come!
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Looks great with the ice down.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Nice pcis! I really like the red kick plate and the black top cap! Seems like most kick plates are yellow, but the red looks sharp.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Open House tonight. Wave if you see me :;):
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:Open House tonight. Wave if you see me :;):
What number is this? Open house #7 or 8? Seems like there is one every day. I am glad to see them promoting the place!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brad wrote:
What number is this? Open house #7 or 8? Seems like there is one every day. I am glad to see them promoting the place!
Info being handed out about Aksarben Village and OPD will be there talking about traffic concerns...
bmt
Home Owners Association

Post by bmt »

I don't know if I have seen a rink with the teams benches on opposite sides. The penalty boxes are not quite in the center and will be closer to one of the benches. It will be interesting to see if this will effect play at all.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Brad wrote:

Is this a community open house? Open to the public? I went to the season ticket holder pickup but was wondering when UNO would invite the general public to show up.

Greg
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Greg S wrote:
Brad wrote:

Is this a community open house? Open to the public? I went to the season ticket holder pickup but was wondering when UNO would invite the general public to show up.
I believe so.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brad wrote:By the way, for those of you that are excited about "Lot B" downtown, you need to quit hating on this place. After driving the new roads twice yesterday, once in the afternoon and once in the evening when I shot these photos, the "Lexus Lot" and the "Infiniti Lot" could bu just like "Lot B" some day. They are totally set up perfectly for it and still have a great view of the Baxter from the intersection of center and 67th street.
I spoke with Jay Noddle tonight and he said there are no intentions on developing these lots in the future, that it will always be free parking, open to all, except lots 21 and 22 and a portion of lot 24, will be reserved for Suite and Club ticket holders.
riceweb
Library Board

Post by riceweb »

Coyote wrote:
Brad wrote:By the way, for those of you that are excited about "Lot B" downtown, you need to quit hating on this place. After driving the new roads twice yesterday, once in the afternoon and once in the evening when I shot these photos, the "Lexus Lot" and the "Infiniti Lot" could bu just like "Lot B" some day. They are totally set up perfectly for it and still have a great view of the Baxter from the intersection of center and 67th street.
I spoke with Jay Noddle tonight and he said there are no intentions on developing these lots in the future, that it will always be free parking, open to all, except lots 21 and 22 and a portion of lot 24, will be reserved for Suite and Club ticket holders.
That's the case for now. There's probably no need anytime in the next 20 years to further develop the parking lots at the arena, but at some point in the future, they'd be easy targets for infill.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

riceweb wrote:
Coyote wrote:
That's the case for now. There's probably no need anytime in the next 20 years to further develop the parking lots at the arena, but at some point in the future, they'd be easy targets for infill.
Yes, maybe years down the line when the principles are no longer around... Jay Noddle was very proud of the fact that all the parking will be free, as will parking in the AV garages... And there will be 300 more spaces in the Broadmoor at Aksarben project and 200 more when MUD vacates the land to the south of that, so that makes close to 3000 free parking spaces south of Center.

And... With Pauli's wanting to become the official AV party central, I have to wonder what handshake arrangements they have with Noddle (ahem, someone may want to look into this), but they are a Cubs bar... Oh wait, the Cubs are good this year...
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

UNO's Baxter Arena app is among first of its kind in college sports

http://www.omaha.com/uno/uno-s-baxter-a ... 68227.html
Henry J. Cordes / World-Herald staff writer wrote:The app appears to put the University of Nebraska at Omaha on the front end of a growing national trend.

A number of professional sports teams have developed apps specific to their stadiums or arenas. But UNO appears to be among the first college teams to devise a venue-specific app.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Hope they take  pay aswell.
15-17, 26, 32
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Just wondering...are they going to put up UNO logos or at least ads on the boards? The all white looks pretty plain.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

skinzfan23 wrote:Just wondering...are they going to put up UNO logos or at least ads on the boards? The all white looks pretty plain.
Yeah, but they always do it last. Until a few years ago, they would even wait until after the exhibition game to do it.

Ii am guessing they want everything "Perfect" on opening night.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I just noticed in their latest video on facebook, they have ads painted on the boards.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

OPENING DAY!!!!!!

Can't wait to see that Frozen Four Banner tonight!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Great Article by Tom Shatel!

Shatel: UNO hockey opener brings more than its share of goose bumps for sold-out crowd

http://www.omaha.com/uno/shatel-uno-hoc ... 24711.html
Tom Shatel / World-Herald columnist wrote:Before they opened the first door on this dream house, before they engraved Don Leahy’s name in the ice, before John Cornelison gave everyone chills, before Steven Spinner caused the first real noise in this new barn, the night was already won.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

UNO Homecoming 2015 at the Baxter

All Hail the King

All Hail the Queen

Student Section celebrating a goal

UNO Band (I wish we played hockey when I was in the UNO Band!)

skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Noticed that they have been installing this on the exterior of the building the past few weeks. I am assuming that they are doing it to cover up the a/c units.