Blackstone Depot (38th Avenue and Harney Street)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

iamjacobm
City Council

Blackstone Depot (38th Avenue and Harney Street)

Post by iamjacobm »

A few single family homes that have been chopped into apartments that front Harney will go away for a 56 unit apartment building developed by Greenslate.

http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/neighbo ... 350ae.html
A neighborhood leader in the resurgent Blackstone District and a historic preservationist also opposed a rezoning for apartments at 38th Avenue and Harney Street.

Developer Matt Dwyer of GreenSlate Development proposes to build a 56-unit apartment building northeast of the intersection. The project would demolish three large houses that have been subdivided into apartments.
Re: Blackstone Depot (38th Avenue and Harney Street)
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

GreenSlate normally does pretty good stuff, but these are pretty nice houses. I'd hate to see them go.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

iamjacobm wrote:A few single family homes that have been chopped into apartments that front Harney will go away for a 56 unit apartment building developed by Greenslate.

A neighborhood leader in the resurgent Blackstone District and a historic preservationist also opposed a rezoning for apartments at 38th Avenue and Harney Street.

Developer Matt Dwyer of GreenSlate Development proposes to build a 56-unit apartment building northeast of the intersection. The project would demolish three large houses that have been subdivided into apartments.
Wow the look of that block is going to be all new except the one on the corner. This is 3812-3820 Harney, proposed 56 units.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

U R my Helix wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:A few single family homes that have been chopped into apartments that front Harney will go away for a 56 unit apartment building developed by Greenslate.

Wow the look of that block is going to be all new except the one on the corner. This is 3812-3820 Harney, proposed 56 units.
TIF for this is before the planning board.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

U R my Helix wrote:

Plans are being submitted right now for the 'Blackstone Depot' - 42,189sf (56-unit Apts) - 10,627sf (Parking).
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

The homes are torn down where Blackstone Depot will rise. As mentioned before 56 units, 23 indoor parking spaces. Asking for $860,000 in TIF.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Blackstone Depot. Only rendering we haven't seen of this round of projects.
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

The Greenslate website reports that these are now leasing for August 2018 move-in's Blackstone Depot
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Don't get me wrong, I really like this project, and I am a big fan of underground parking, but as of right now, this building just looks funny. Hopefully the addition of that sign and landscaping really help break up the large brick wall that's currently in place at street level.

Taco
Human Relations

Post by Taco »

Brad wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:38 pm Don't get me wrong, I really like this project, and I am a big fan of underground parking, but as of right now, this building just looks funny. Hopefully the addition of that sign and landscaping really help break up the large brick wall that's currently in place at street level.

Agreed on the poor interaction with the street. It's too late, but more glass into the garage (a la the Yard) would have really helped. Right now it seems like storage units for people.
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

The addition of the balcony's should soften the box look quite a bit.
FirebirdEngineer
Home Owners Association

Post by FirebirdEngineer »

It would look more at home on UNO's Scott Campus.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Are any of these units being built with functional balconies? If the answer is no then the obvious question is why not? The occupants don’t all have yards or patios to enjoy. The least thing I would require if I lived there would be a large enough patio for entertaining a small dinner party, or to haul out my lounger in nice weather.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

nativeomahan wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:43 pm Are any of these units being built with functional balconies? If the answer is no then the obvious question is why not? The occupants don’t all have yards or patios to enjoy. The least thing I would require if I lived there would be a large enough patio for entertaining a small dinner party, or to haul out my lounger in nice weather.
They probably maximized their lot by building to the property line. It is the case in a lot of cities and I imagine in Omaha as well that you cannot build over your property line. Look at anything downtown with balconies, they are set into the building not overhanging the sidewalk.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

Maybe they'll have a deck on the roof.
EricHaley
Human Relations

Post by EricHaley »

Based on the rendering, they’ll have Juliet balconies (AKA false balconies). If I recall correctly, city ordinance does not allow balconies to overhang any portion of sidewalks or other public right of way.
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

I think that if a small balcony just large enough to stand on is called a Juliet … then the tiny ones that you can not stand on should be called a Capulet.

Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

This also came up with the highline 2, many other cities allow overhanging balconies, we just need someone to care enough to get the city code updated. At the time I grabbed this from another city, don't remember which:
Balconies, including railings and supporting brackets, no parts of which are less than 10 feet (3048 mm) above the ground or sidewalk level, may be constructed to project not more than 22 inches (559 mm) beyond the street line.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Dundeemaha wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:31 am This also came up with the highline 2, many other cities allow overhanging balconies, we just need someone to care enough to get the city code updated. At the time I grabbed this from another city, don't remember which:
Balconies, including railings and supporting brackets, no parts of which are less than 10 feet (3048 mm) above the ground or sidewalk level, may be constructed to project not more than 22 inches (559 mm) beyond the street line.
Actually, very few do. Balconies can’t hang over sidewalks because they’re public right of way, so the public owns the air rights. Balconies are usually only allowed over spaces within the propert line for good reason.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

Garrett wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:47 am
Dundeemaha wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:31 am This also came up with the highline 2, many other cities allow overhanging balconies, we just need someone to care enough to get the city code updated. At the time I grabbed this from another city, don't remember which:
Actually, very few do. Balconies can’t hang over sidewalks because they’re public right of way, so the public owns the air rights. Balconies are usually only allowed over spaces within the propert line for good reason.
https://www2.iccsafe.org/states/newyork ... of-Way.pdf
3202.2.1.3 Balconies. Balconies, including railings and
supporting brackets, no parts of which are less than 10
feet (3048 mm) above the ground or sidewalk level, may
be constructed to project not more than 22 inches (559
mm) beyond the street line. When permitted by the pro-
visions of this code, fire escapes that are part of a
required exit may be constructed to project not more than
4 feet 6 inches (1372 mm) beyond the street line provided
no part, including any movable ladder or stair, is lower
than 10 feet (3048 mm) above the ground or sidewalk
level when not in use.
Found roughly the exact text that NYC used from the International Code Council, which from what I understand is the organization most cities in the US base their codes on

edited because I found a non-pdf:
https://codes.iccsafe.org/public/docume ... ght-of-way
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

Some other city's allow the balcony to overhang public sidewalks and they charge a special assessment. I see no reason that we could not do that in Omaha.