Blackstone Business Improvement District

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

ita
County Board

Re: Blackstone Business Improvement District

Post by ita »

Busguy2010 wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:35 pm
nativeomahan wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:25 pm So, they are replacing 3 story brick buildings with one 3 story non brick building? How exactly is this “progress”?
Good question.

Blackstone has not been my favorite "improvement district" for the fact it seems to be just tearing down building after building. History doesn't seem to be of much value to most of the developers in the neighborhood. I'm always wondering which building will be next.
They knock down buildings quite a bit here. The building that the rendering seems to be in place of, the one that fronts Farnam, isn't the most attractive building, but maybe it could have just used a refacing. Maybe the building in the back won't be demolished? Based on Overbrook's twitter feed, they aren't really new construction developers. They are wholesalers. Sterling Anderson looks to be primarily involved in mulitfamily acquisitions. In any case, despite another old building going down, which stinks, I am glad another property owner will be in the Blackstone district to give Lund and his crew some competition there.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

A couple months ago, I walked around the Blackstone at Sunrise. Here are some photo from that morning.

Padre
Human Relations

Post by Padre »

Nice pictures. It's the only time I've seen it when there was somewhere to park!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Padre wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:17 am Nice pictures. It's the only time I've seen it when there was somewhere to park!
Thanks. I tried to go in the evening when the businesses were open and lit up, but the cars parallel parked on the sides were just too distracting so I had to go in the morning.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Great pics!
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

Thanks. Always enjoy your keen eye.
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.
SiliconFarmer
New to the Neighborhood

Post by SiliconFarmer »

Cheeseburgers - A Take-Out Joint opens today. https://www.ineedcheeseburgers.com/
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

SiliconFarmer wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:55 am Cheeseburgers - A Take-Out Joint opens today. https://www.ineedcheeseburgers.com/
I love the straightforward-ness of the name.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Louie wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:48 pm
SiliconFarmer wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:55 am Cheeseburgers - A Take-Out Joint opens today. https://www.ineedcheeseburgers.com/
Probably lost me with RC Cola and the choice of cola's
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

nebugeater wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:54 pm
Really? It's just pop, who cares.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

They are not hiding the inspiration of the theme. "Joint"? "Peaked"? "Munchies"? Psychedelic fonts? Are the servers going to be wearing tie dye? I do like the simple menu and they are open fairly late, really late on the weekend. We could always use places open late.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Louie wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:29 pm
Guess I do :;):
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

nebugeater wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:41 pm
Not that it matters, but Royal Crown Cola is my favorite.
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

guy4omaha wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:13 pm
I am one of those that prefers the Pspsi products and Coke products as an also ran. When you get to the smaller names or store brands typically I have no issues but with Pop it doesn't work for me. Someone likes them or they would not hold any market share.

I guess par of the issue if you are serving this in a restaurant is that they are lower cost but if you are still charging me $1.50 - 2.00 for the drink I don't like that part of it either.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

With nationwide pop consumption going down, I guess I didn't realize it mattered to anyone. Plus its just so dang sugary. Like sand on my teeth.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

nebugeater wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:55 am
guy4omaha wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:13 pm
I am one of those that prefers the Pspsi products and Coke products as an also ran. When you get to the smaller names or store brands typically I have no issues but with Pop it doesn't work for me. Someone likes them or they would not hold any market share.

I guess par of the issue if you are serving this in a restaurant is that they are lower cost but if you are still charging me $1.50 - 2.00 for the drink I don't like that part of it either.
When I drink soda, Dr Pepper is my favorite. As long as they’re carrying that, I’m good. If no, water is fine :) ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

I don’t drink much soda pop anymore either. But I had to speak up for dear old RC. lol
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Busguy2010 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 12:26 pm Such a big, ugly building, though. Yeah I know, its no use fighting the forces at work in this neighborhood, but it does not fit the neighborhood. It fits the blueprint of what the neighborhood is to be. Bye bye Blackstone.
Yeah the neighborhood is really going to miss a giant surface lot with a dilapidated old mansion that’s been cut up into little apartments. I understand a lot of criticisms but some of the time you guys are just reaching and looking for stuff to be p*ssed about.
stadsborgare
Home Owners Association

Post by stadsborgare »

There's no real aesthetic to the Blackstone neighborhood. It's a hodge-podge of housing and buildings with all kinds of different uses and dimensions, some coming up to the street, some set back from the street, there's no real unity to the place.

So any kind of talk about this "not being a fit," I don't know what is a fit, really. I do think more urban density is a good thing considering it is close to the ORBT line, and there's a push for future developments to not be so dependent on the automobile, and so this kind of big structure therefore is a fit, if you ask me. Greater urban density is what should be strived for, considering the location within the city.
Last edited by stadsborgare on Sun May 02, 2021 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Linkin5 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 2:15 pm Yeah the neighborhood is really going to miss a giant surface lot with a dilapidated old mansion that’s been cut up into little apartments. I understand a lot of criticisms but some of the time you guys are just reaching and looking for stuff to be p*ssed about.
No really, I like the idea, and I like the "problem solving" aspect of it. But it is unimaginative. I would highly prefer the block had been split in two or three and have two or three separate buildings with separate budgets, separate ideas, separate designs. I wouldn't have cared if it took 10 extra years.
The way the plan looks now, it reminds me of those big block Legos from when I was like 4. I liked Blackstone before, but I'm starting to not like it as the influx is actively occurring.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

stadsborgare wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 2:25 pm So any kind of talk about this "not being a fit," I don't know what is a fit, really.
It will be right next to the Blackstone Hotel, one of the city's most revered buildings. That's most the reason why. Among other reasons. At the very least I feel like this new giant building should attempt to somewhat cue off of the Blackstone building. Ya'll know how I feel about the way many of these new apartment buildings are designed, and this particular building is a prime example of why I feel the way I do about them.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

stadsborgare wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 2:25 pm There's no real aesthetic to the Blackstone neighborhood.
That is just not true. There are multiple mansions south of Harney, and multiple brick apartment building that have been there for probably a hundred years.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Has anyone walked the neighborhood other than on Farnam in the last 5 years or so? There is a lot of historic stock that I feel is being brushed aside because it isn't on Farnam where the people are hanging out. Blackstone to me is really bound by 36th, Dodge, Leavenworth, and 40th. And if you've only really been on Farnam or Harney, then you are really are not seeing the aesthetic of the neighborhood.
Taco
Human Relations

Post by Taco »

Busguy2010 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 2:57 pm Has anyone walked the neighborhood other than on Farnam in the last 5 years or so? There is a lot of historic stock that I feel is being brushed aside because it isn't on Farnam where the people are hanging out. Blackstone to me is really bound by 36th, Dodge, Leavenworth, and 40th. And if you've only really been on Farnam or Harney, then you are really are not seeing the aesthetic of the neighborhood.
I live in the neighborhood and walk it frequently. You are conveniently omitting the ugly worn-down apartment buildings spread throughout as well. There are many nice mansions, mansions in disrepair, university buildings, halfway houses, and 80s apartment buildings. It's a hodgepodge.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Taco wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:08 pm I live in the neighborhood and walk it frequently. You are conveniently omitting the ugly worn-down apartment buildings spread throughout as well. There are many nice mansions, mansions in disrepair, university buildings, halfway houses, and 80s apartment buildings. It's a hodgepodge.
This is what I quoted.
stadsborgare wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 2:25 pm There's no real aesthetic to the Blackstone neighborhood.
I didn't disagree that there were other previously constructed buildings that dilute the original character of the neighborhood. These are the aesthetic of Blackstone:

And this new building will be in sight of all of them.
stadsborgare
Home Owners Association

Post by stadsborgare »

By "aesthetic" I didn't mean there aren't individual structures with aesthetic value, but that as a whole the neighborhood has no unifying aesthetic. It is a hodgepodge. So the new development therefore wouldn't look out of place. I don't want the historic mansions to go, either, but losing a surface parking lot would be no great loss.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. My main concern is the sheer volume of this new building and the fact that it will dwarf the neighboring Blackstone without taking any cues from it. If my estimates are close, the area of this new building will be over double the Blackstone, and it will be 1 or 2 stories taller. This building will be so present and prominent that whatever aesthetic it is could very well become the aesthetic of Blackstone. And from the renderings so far, I don't care for it. I'd prefer something more classic that would fit better with the surrounding buildings such as the ones I pictured above.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

It would be really cool if there was zoning rules which required all new buildings in the Blackstone neighborhood to have brick facades like those on the buildings in the photos you shared. Omaha is perceived as lacking identity, so encouraging this kind of distinct architecture in my opinion would enhance the character of a neighborhood, and add to the appeal and charm of the city overall.

I still like the new building, but I'd like it more if its aesthetic was consistent with the early 1900s brick buildings that the area is famous for. You got my vote busguy 👍🏻
Cermak
Parks & Recreation

Post by Cermak »

I think part of the problem is the renderings are not the best. It’s hard to tell what the dark parts are on the sides of the building and it’s also difficult to tell what color the building is. And why does it need to be so boxy looking. If not done right this could have a negative impact on the Blackstone district, which has seen such a wonderful transformation in recent years.
BIGO88
Home Owners Association

Post by BIGO88 »

The former Oxide design building in between blackstone social and Scriptown is being turned into a new place called “Bar 39” a new skee ball and cocktail bar and is opening tonight.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

There is absolutely no reason why they all can't include parking on the lower levels like this. It is ridiculous that a ton of developments have a separate parking structure. Sure, cost might be an issue, but especially in the denser parts of the metro, this is needed. I would like to more of this in Turner Park area as well as just west of downtown.
Athomsfere
Planning Board

Post by Athomsfere »

skinzfan23 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 10:33 am There is absolutely no reason why they all can't include parking on the lower levels like this. It is ridiculous that a ton of developments have a separate parking structure. Sure, cost might be an issue, but especially in the denser parts of the metro, this is needed. I would like to more of this in Turner Park area as well as just west of downtown.
Except, we should be hoping for a more multi-modal or mass transit friendly city... So I'm good with separate structures that can be torn down as mass transit gets better.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Construction fence around the two old apartment buildings they are about to get torn down.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

Omaha's Blackstone District proposes wider sidewalks, new lights
Cindy Gonzalez
The Blackstone District has revealed plans for a streetscape makeover expected to boost pedestrian safety and commerce by widening sidewalks and narrowing driving lanes along the trendy midtown Omaha strip.

A burst of sparkle — in the form of light strands across a stretch of Farnam Street — also is part of the $4.4 million package.

The plan comes on the heels of a Blackstone apartment dweller getting struck and seriously injured by a hit-and-run driver in June as she crossed Farnam between 39th and 40th Streets.

Blackstone leaders say proposed changes have been in the making a few years, though, dating back to a merchant's search for signature lighting for the area. They describe the streetscape proposal as the next major infrastructure upgrade since car flow through the district turned from one way to two way in 2014.
Also, quotable from the article; there has been $250 million in investments in the district since the street went from one to two way in 2014. If that doesn't convince the City of converting downtown streets to two way, I don't know what will.

Also, the light idea looks interesting, but what about the streetcar? Are we going to have electrified rails? :;):

TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

That’ll be some solid streetscaping. I kinda wish they’d find something a little more unique than string lights, but it’ll still look good I’m sure.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
Athomsfere
Planning Board

Post by Athomsfere »

Off the top of anyone's heads:

What's the traffic counts here? Isn't this too busy for a turning lane to be done correctly?
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

Athomsfere wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:28 pm Off the top of anyone's heads:

What's the traffic counts here? Isn't this too busy for a turning lane to be done correctly?
To not answer your question, my guess is that with the parking garage being built on the east end, they anticipate less cars driving through the district. A lot of people driving through, especially during the evening, are people looking for parking.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

I always had hoped Benson would do something like those string lights over the street. Looks great!
Taco
Human Relations

Post by Taco »

Very happy to see this. Surprised there haven't been more crashes given the intersection between partiers and speeding. I do wish they would add another crosswalk by Nite Owl still.
PWL73316
Library Board

Post by PWL73316 »

Yup, need a crosswalk with stop lights on 39th and 38th Ave. That will make the area very unattractive to speed through or to use as a transit corridor, while making it much safer and easier on pedestrians.

Back in the good ol' days when there was no foot traffic in Blackstone and Farnam was one-way I would bomb down Farnam as a much easier/faster way to get to southbound Saddle Creek than Dodge. A lot of cars are still doing that, even though it's not at all appropriate for the area anymore. But since Dodge is nearly impossible to use to get on Saddle Creek, they should make Farnam as painful as possible to encourage use of Leavenworth or some other alternative, IMO.