Blackstone Business Improvement District

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Habits76
Home Owners Association

Re: Blackstone Business Improvement District

Post by Habits76 »

Coyote wrote:EOmahaForums meet.
I'll talk to him about it and keep you posted.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

cdub wrote:3824 Farnam has a new plan now as well.  2 story fronting the street I believe.  Nice addition.
That lot with the small auto shop is pretty big. Probably two stories on the street with parking behind?
Last edited by iamjacobm on Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I have talked with a local restaurant owner who was looking at a second location here along Farnam. It would fit well around 38th...
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Ok picture getting a little clearer. TIF request to rehab the retail bays SW of 40th and Farnam and the set of row houses behind the retail bays. The set of row homes will go from the current 12 units to the 6 as they were originally built.
SaveOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by SaveOmaha »

iamjacobm wrote:Ok picture getting a little clearer.  TIF request to rehab the retail bays SW of 40th and Farnam and the set of row houses behind the retail bays.  The set of row homes will go from the current 12 units to the 6 as they were originally built.
Looked like the building was being gutted when I walked by yesterday. I sure hope they keep any original woodwork.
Last edited by SaveOmaha on Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Lots of really good info in this article. A really eclectic mix of businesses are going in too.

http://www.omaha.com/go/business-is-boo ... 33584.html

Also this is really good to hear.
they intend to build a 50-unit apartment building with street-level retail to the east along the Farnam corridor.
The rapid pace of redevelopment here has been very impressive. By the time 2015 rolls around 40th and Farnam will hold its own with all the other established districts of the city.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

If I read it right, on the SW corner of 40th and Farnam, Greenslate expects a November opening for a wine bar, a bike shop, a florist and a barbershop, while Benson Brewery will finally fix up their 3921 property as a nano-brewery tap room by next spring.
lowplainsdrifter
New to the Neighborhood

Post by lowplainsdrifter »

Not sure if this has already been said, but I was in a neighborhood meeting with UNMC about a month ago and they confirmed that they are building a Marriott in the area of 42nd and Farnam. This will be a different hotel from the one being built on the sloping lot adjacent to Dodge Street.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

lowplainsdrifter wrote:Not sure if this has already been said, but I was in a neighborhood meeting with UNMC about a month ago and they confirmed that they are building a Marriott in the area of 42nd and Farnam.  This will be a different hotel from the one being built on the sloping lot adjacent to Dodge Street.
I believe you are talking about this, that MSizlack posted?:

MSizlack post: The Nebraska Medical Center
frankt
New to the Neighborhood

Post by frankt »

The Pella at Blakstone has a website
http://www.thepellaatblackstone.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

frankt wrote:The Pella at Blakstone has a website
http://www.thepellaatblackstone.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks Frank! Nice catch.

I saw a full dumpster out front the other day...
SaveOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by SaveOmaha »

The Pella should be a nice addition to the district.
Last edited by SaveOmaha on Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

The project on 39th is looking amazing.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Coyote wrote:If I read it right, on the SW corner of 40th and Farnam, Greenslate expects a November opening for a wine bar, a bike shop, a florist and a barbershop, while Benson Brewery will finally fix up their 3921 property as a nano-brewery tap room by next spring.
At the City Council meeting Greenslate also mentioned Dundee Cycle would be moving here, and a pizza by the slice place.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Love to have a pizza by the slice place!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Nite Owl to open November 18th.

Also work is well on its way along Farnam. Lots of curb bump outs and I have never really noticed, but most of the sidewalks hadn't been brought up to ADA levels so that is probably a big chunk of the budget replacing all those curbs. 40th and Farnam is a wreck right in front of Sullivan's right now so hopefully they make quick work of it.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Sullivan's getting their beer garden paved...

iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Corkscrew Wine Bar located in Rockbrook is opening another location in the Blackstone District.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote:Corkscrew Wine Bar located in Rockbrook is opening another location in the Blackstone District.
Nice. Which building?

Also, what's the hold up on the new location for the Benson brewery? That plywood has been up on the front forever!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Brad wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:Corkscrew Wine Bar located in Rockbrook is opening another location in the Blackstone District.
Nice.  Which building?

Also, what's the hold up on the new location for the Benson brewery?  That plywood has been up on the front forever!
East of Mula on that side of the street I think. Not sure which storefront. I hope they have patio space though, their outdoor area in Rockbrook is really nice.

No clue about the brewery, but since they are expanding their Benson spot maybe they are focused on that for now?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Corkscrew 2 will be part of the 144 S. 39th St (Katelman) project.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Two guys were working on the Benson Brewery Space today.

This whole stretch is really looking great!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Brad wrote:Two guys were working on the Benson Brewery Space today.

This whole stretch is really looking great!
Talked to someone that said Scriptown is getting close too.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

The Katleman project is about done it seems, Kleveland Clothing is having their Grand Opening on Nov 1st.
MavBridget
New to the Neighborhood

Post by MavBridget »

The Pella at Blackstone had their grand opening party on Wednesday. From the news release:

The former Pella Lutheran Church, 303 S. 41 Street (41st and Farnam), has been transformed into “The Pella at Blackstone,” a full-service event facility, opening in November. Located just east of the University of Nebraska Medical Center, the renovation is part of the revitalization of the Blackstone area of Omaha.

Abraham Catering is hosting an invitation-only grand opening on Wednesday, Oct. 22, from 4-7 p.m. to show off the remodeled space. Brad Iwen, owner of Iwen Exposures and president of the Blackstone Business District, purchased the building for $253,000 in March 2014. He has spent more than $300,000 on renovations and improvements to the building.

Originally built in 1952, the building has found new purpose hosting weddings, wedding receptions, holiday gatherings, parties, and fundraisers. The 6,500-square foot main floor space offers seating for 250 guests. A former choir loft functions as a lounge, offering additional cocktail/reception space.

For more information about the facility, visit http://www.ThePellaAtBlackstone.com or contact Chad Morford at (402) 415-8222 or email chad@abrahamcatering.com.

# # #

Fact Sheet: The Pella at Blackstone, 303 S. 41 Street

Located at 303 S. 41 Street, primary access to the building is off Harney Street at 41st Street.

History of the site (according to Omaha World-Herald archives):
Just east of the current church site was the home to McCabe Methodist Church, damaged in the Easter Sunday tornado of 1913. That same tornado wiped out Pella Lutheran Church, then located at 26th and Grant. The church relocated to 30th and Corby. After the tornado, the McCabe church bought lots to the west of the current church and, in 1916, constructed a concrete-brick basement. It remained only a basement until Pella built a church on top and dedicated the current building in 1952.

Architectural style: Combining elements of rustic, modern, and industrial architecture, the brick structure with stone details features a 50-foot ceilings (including a distinctive wooden arch design).

Abraham Catering contracted in July 2014 to lease the 6,500-square foot main floor for weddings, events, and parties. Rental fees range from $900-$1600. The facility is available for rental mornings, afternoons, and evenings until midnight.

Proximity to the University of Nebraska Medical Center offers ample free parking in UNMC lots during evening and weekend events.

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/thepellaatblackstone" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For facility rental/questions, contact:
Chad Morford, Abraham Catering, 402-415-8222, chad@abrahamcatering.com

Photos:

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Thanks for that info MavBridget! And welcome to eOmahaForums!
I need a good excuse to check out Brad's new place.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

MavBridget wrote:Originally built in 1952, the building has found new purpose hosting weddings, wedding receptions, holiday gatherings, parties, and fundraisers. The 6,500-square foot main floor space offers seating for 250 guests. A former choir loft functions as a lounge, offering additional cocktail/reception space.
I had no idea that building was so new. The basic exterior style looks much more like other 1920s churches in Omaha, but I'd never been inside. The glulam rafters are very 1950s, though, much like those in the vast swath of postwar suburban churches. I like the re-purposing of such an interesting building.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Also, I have to say that even I have been beyond surprised at the rate of redevelopment in this corridor. I've always thought this area had great potential, but I didn't expect it to take off so quickly. In less than two years, it's become more than North Downtown has in ten. I still remember driving past Cheater's when I came out to interview for a job in December 2009 and thinking "this looks like a sketchy area".

I also like the renovation of some of the historic housing stock. A neighborhood like this is going to be much more attractive with a good mix of historic and new construction. This whole area should make a nice, livable transition from the growing midtown business area to UNMC, and a very different feel from what it's been for the past 50 years, with steady demolition of homes to build surface parking.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

frankt
New to the Neighborhood

Post by frankt »

The Surly Chap Barbers is set to open this week at 4005 Farnam St.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Surl ... k=timeline" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Ribbon cutting for the eastbound lane Monday morning at 9:15.
SaveOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by SaveOmaha »

New windows in the building direct east of Iwen, and in the row house on 40th & Harney.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

SaveOmaha wrote:New windows in the building direct east of Iwen, and in the row house on 40th & Harney.
The Benson Brewery location?
SaveOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by SaveOmaha »

Brad wrote:
SaveOmaha wrote:New windows in the building direct east of Iwen, and in the row house on 40th & Harney.
The Benson Brewery location?
Yes!
Last edited by SaveOmaha on Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Was just at Beertopia this afternoon... No parking in front of building (how to get kegs...?) and the street to the west is now one way north, but you can now park on both sides of the street.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:No parking in front of building (how to get kegs...?)
Tuesday afternoon when I was at the Moon for Round 1 of Reuben Fest, the delivery truck just pulled up in front of Beertopia, flipped on the hazards and blocked the lane while it unloaded. After it finished, a second truck pulled up and did the same.

Wednesday night wend I went for Round 2 of Reuben Fest, there was a guy that pulled over in the back driveway, flipped on the hazards, and carried the keg around the building.

There is also still plenty of street parking across the street in front of Kewit/wowt.
E_L_Cut
New to the Neighborhood

Post by E_L_Cut »

Surly Chap Barbers just moved into 40th & Farnam from 60th & Woolworth (above Sidetrack Lounge, if that helps). They weren't able to meet demand at the original, cramped location. If anyone's in the neighborhood and needs a trim, shave or both I'd strongly recommend it.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Surl ... 735799589s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-surly-chap-barbers-omaha" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

The pizza place will be called "Nolee's Pizzeria."
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Apparently the two way conversion happened yesterday. I heard it on the traffic report on the radio this morning.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Officials, Blackstone businesspeople celebrate Farnam Street's return to 2-way traffic

http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/officia ... 9ac36.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Christopher Burbach / World-Herald staff writer wrote:“How’s this?” Jerram said to the group lingering outside the new Archetype Coffee shop. “From gunshots to espresso shots in six years.”