Blackstone Business Improvement District

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Re: 40th and Farnam Cheaters Building

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote:That bar has been closed for a while, but they have been gutting it for a few days now.  Anyone know any plans here?
We saw that last night.  That place was completely gutted.  It doesn't surprise me since it was condemned.
byrdrules
Home Owners Association

Post by byrdrules »

The ownership of Sullivans is currently renovating the property and will be moving the bar across the street as soon as it is finished.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

byrdrules wrote:The ownership of Sullivans is currently renovating the property and will be moving the bar across the street as soon as it is finished.
Cool thanks for the info.  I hope something else can take the other empty storefront on that corner.  I am always kind of surprised that corner isn't more popular.
lisanstan
Library Board

Post by lisanstan »

Cheaters tainted that corner. Ill never forget coming home about 2:30a and wating at the red light on farnam as two guys from cheaters beat the |expletive| out of each other in the intersection. The shooting not long before closed sealed its fate.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

iamjacobm wrote:
byrdrules wrote:The ownership of Sullivans is currently renovating the property and will be moving the bar across the street as soon as it is finished.
Cool thanks for the info.  I hope something else can take the other empty storefront on that corner.  I am always kind of surprised that corner isn't more popular.
Looks like someone has already been working on upgrading that area.

http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/Blac ... 13821.html
The success the Blackstone Group wants to emulate is Midtown Crossing. In the beginning some questioned the ability to create a neighborhood but Midtown Crossing as become a destination and now businesses west of Midtown Crossing want to extend that magic.
This is also interesting.  I would support making Farnam two way all the way to Saddle Creek.
One of the first things on the Blackstone Business Improvement Board’s list is to extend Farnam's two way street to include the area in front of their businesses, in Midtown.
CFA Jay
New to the Neighborhood

Post by CFA Jay »

iamjacobm wrote:
This is also interesting.  I would support making Farnam two way all the way to Saddle Creek.
One of the first things on the Blackstone Business Improvement Board’s list is to extend Farnam's two way street to include the area in front of their businesses, in Midtown.
I disagree.  I think that Farnam one way is too important for rush hour traffic to go two way.  Would you make Harney two way as well?

Interesting nonetheless.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I don't see having two westbound lanes and one eastbound having too much negative effect on rush hour traffic.  Consider that it is already two way for a portion east of 36th street and two way west of 42nd I don't think making that half mile match those other two sections would hurt traffic too much.  Making the street safer and growing the economic opportunities that two way streets bring would outweigh the bit of traffic slowdown for one hour a day.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

I always though it would be a good idea to make Farnam two-way to Saddle Creek.  I wondered why when they made Farnam two-way at MC, they made two westbound and one eastbound, but now it's clear to me.  If they end up doing this, however, I think they should also make Harney two-way to the extent they do it with Farnam.
pseudoprometheus
New to the Neighborhood

Post by pseudoprometheus »

I had been wondering about what was going on at this intersection.  I walk through it pretty much daily, and have noticed the work being done.

As of this posting, the former Cheaters is still seeing a good deal of interior work, the former Reading Grounds has been seeing activity inside too (work lighting, lots of plastic sheets, scaffolding, a full rental dumpster out back, etc.).  The building two spots east of Sullivan's has scaffolding in front of it.  Anyone have any idea what plans might be for the other two buildings (other than Cheaters) seeing activity?

Either way, it'll be interesting to see what changes come about.  :)
... wait, what?
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

pseudoprometheus wrote:the former Reading Grounds has been seeing activity inside too (work lighting, lots of plastic sheets, scaffolding, a full rental dumpster out back, etc.).  The building two spots east of Sullivan's has scaffolding in front of it.  Anyone have any idea what plans might be for the other two buildings (other than Cheaters) seeing activity?
I got a quick look at this area today.  It looks like one of the buildings on the north side of the street, east of Farnam, has been completely stripped back to the brick.
where the corn meets the concrete
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Benson Brewery guys must be involved in something going on at this corner.  They posted a few pictures on their facebook saying "Mystery Location 2.0" I would guess it is the storefront with the scaffolding in front as they completely replaced the roof structure.  This is so close to my place...I can't wait to see this corner updated.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

North side under new owners.  Redeveloping totally and looking for new tennants.  Bar moving across to south side, will look 100% better than we're all used to!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Brad Iwen from Iwen exposures was on Grow Omaha this past Saturday to talk about the Blackstone BID.

Notes from the Grow Omaha Show:
1.  Farnam 36th to 40th.
2.  Historically called the "West Farnam District" is now becoming the "Blackstone District".
3.  Better geographical fit than "The Gold Coast Neighborhood".
4.  Goal of slowing traffic down, making it more pedestrian friendly and converting Farnam back to 2 way.
5.  Improved lighting
6.  looking at streetscaping.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Workers were pulling off the exterior on the building on the NE corner of 40th and Farnam today.  Original brick being exposed.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote:Workers were pulling off the exterior on the building on the NE corner of 40th and Farnam today.  Original brick being exposed.
They pulled off some other exteriors the other day.  I was going to snap a photo but there was a broken down car in the way all piled up in snow.  I was going to come back and try again later, but never got to it.

What I saw so far looked good.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Photo Update:

iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Thanks for the picture updates everywhere Brad, always appreciated!  This will be my corner if it develops like I hope.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

iamjacobm wrote:This will be my corner if it develops like I hope.
How much you charge?
Stable genius.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Big E wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:This will be my corner if it develops like I hope.
How much you charge?
I expect to end up in the red.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Couple's enthusiasm to reclaim 40th and Farnam area energizes others

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130321/M ... zes-others

Great story on the Blackstone District.

The People opening the Besnon Brewery and the Omaha Brewery in North Downtown are also opening a Brewery in the Blackstone district.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Pretty incredible how many different people and development teams have come together at basically the same time to change this area.  Could easily be Dundee-esque in a year or two.
pseudoprometheus
New to the Neighborhood

Post by pseudoprometheus »

Brad wrote:Couple's enthusiasm to reclaim 40th and Farnam area energizes others

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130321/M ... zes-others
Great article, thanks for posting Brad!  The momentum behind this revitalization project is exciting - a Dundee-esque transformation would be great to see here.
... wait, what?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

They have some of the crappy wood pulled off of the old Cheaters building, brick is back!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Another Amazing Transformation!

Photo Update!

guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

I know I've said it before but watching these rehab projects happen is just amazing for our city. There is so much historical beauty under years of halfA'd renovations that you wonder if we could actually have a thriving new area of the city that was left for dead years ago. The best part about it is the costs are minimal and the pay offs huge. Keep it coming Omaha.

-adam
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

guitarguy wrote:I know I've said it before but watching these rehab projects happen is just amazing for our city. There is so much historical beauty under years of halfA'd renovations that you wonder if we could actually have a thriving new area of the city that was left for dead years ago. The best part about it is the costs are minimal and the pay offs huge. Keep it coming Omaha.

-adam
I completely agree.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

skinzfan23 wrote:
guitarguy wrote:I know I've said it before but watching these rehab projects happen is just amazing for our city. There is so much historical beauty under years of halfA'd renovations that you wonder if we could actually have a thriving new area of the city that was left for dead years ago. The best part about it is the costs are minimal and the pay offs huge. Keep it coming Omaha.

-adam
I completely agree.
I was talking to the1wags a little bit ago and its like these beautiful old buildings have had a bad Halloween costume on for the past couple years!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Windows are in.

iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130820/L ... -on-farnam
Four blocks to the west, John Fahrer and Scott Stephens are in the midst of renovating what will soon be Scriptown.

Stephens is one of the owners of Lot 2 and Baxter’s in Benson, and Fahrer makes small batches of beer for both restaurants. At both places, Fahrer’s brews have been very popular.

"We cannot keep up with the product," Stephens said.

Stephens and Fahrer began discussing plans for a brewery about a year ago and signed the lease on their space earlier this summer. Fahrer, who has been a homebrewer since 1986 and was named the national homebrewer of the year in 1996, can make just about anything. He’ll continue to make beer specially for Lot 2 and Baxter’s — which won’t be available at Scriptown or elsewhere — and to cycle through small batches of a diverse variety of beers at Scriptown. They’ll begin with four or six taps, Stephens said, and slowly add more as they get going.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Planning board passed the two way conversion 7-0.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

iamjacobm wrote:Planning board passed the two way conversion 7-0.
Are you talking about converting a one-way to two-way? If so, which street?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

HR Paperstacks wrote:
Farnam.  Needs to go before the City Council before it happens.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

iamjacobm wrote:
HR Paperstacks wrote:
Farnam.  Needs to go before the City Council before it happens.
Hopefully it happens.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

So I'm guessing 36th through 40th? Or will they go all the way to 42nd?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

HR Paperstacks wrote:So I'm guessing 36th through 40th? Or will they go all the way to 42nd?
I hope 42nd all the way though Midtown Crossing.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Sullivan's posted this awesome picture of what 40th and Farnam looked like back in the day.

MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Will this re-dev effort get a new restaurant in where that dirt hippy place cafe is?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

MTO wrote:Will this re-dev effort get a new restaurant in where that dirt hippy place cafe is?
Lol... McFosters?
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Brad wrote:
MTO wrote:Will this re-dev effort get a new restaurant in where that dirt hippy place cafe is?
Lol... McFosters?
Yes, is it inside of the redevelopment boundaries?