Blackstone Business Improvement District

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

iamjacobm
City Council

Re: Blackstone Business Improvement District

Post by iamjacobm »

Parking meters coming to Blackstone?
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

iamjacobm wrote:Parking meters coming to Blackstone?
I didn't have parking problems when I went there a couple times but have heard other people did, might be a good idea.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Linkin5 wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:Parking meters coming to Blackstone?
I didn't have parking problems when I went there a couple times but have heard other people did, might be a good idea.
The lot behind Mula is actually pretty large. Never have trouble back there.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

136 more parking meters being added along Farnam and some side streets.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Midwestern wrote:I can't believe nobody took color photos of the Jobber's Canyon buildings before they were demolished? Same with Hotel Fontenelle? And actually, even the old Post Office?
I was at an event at the Durham several years ago and they said they have lots of photos pre-1930's or 1940's but then it really drops off.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

In other news. The Feta's sign is up along with a huge "Drive Though" sign.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Ok, thanks to Brad for excising the non Blackstone posts from this thread for us..., so back to real news...

I talked to Benson Brewery reps (head brewer) at the Great Nebraska Beer Fest yesterday... Their taproom/deli project is officially dead, they sold the building to a 'realtor', and it seems that North End is dead also, they still have 'first dibs' but it seems out of their hands right now.
mr. omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by mr. omaha »

Coyote wrote:I talked to Benson Brewery reps (head brewer) at the Great Nebraska Beer Fest yesterday... Their taproom/deli project is officially dead, they sold the building to a 'realtor', and it seems that North End is dead also, they still have 'first dibs' but it seems out of their hands right now.
Is Benson Brewery itself in any jeopardy?
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Coyote wrote:Ok, thanks to Brad for excising the non Blackstone posts from this thread for us..., so back to real news...

I talked to Benson Brewery reps (head brewer) at the Great Nebraska Beer Fest yesterday... Their taproom/deli project is officially dead, they sold the building to a 'realtor', and it seems that North End is dead also, they still have 'first dibs' but it seems out of their hands right now.
I wonder if their expansion in their main location is going to happen as well, last time I checked there was no updates.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Linkin5 wrote:
Coyote wrote:Ok, thanks to Brad for excising the non Blackstone posts from this thread for us..., so back to real news...

I wonder if their expansion in their main location is going to happen as well, last time I checked there was no updates.
The space was mostly built out when I saw it last. That was a month or so ago.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:I talked to Benson Brewery reps (head brewer) at the Great Nebraska Beer Fest yesterday... Their taproom/deli project is officially dead, they sold the building to a 'realtor', and it seems that North End is dead also, they still have 'first dibs' but it seems out of their hands right now.
That's too bad. However the Blackstone is so hot right now, I'm sure it wont take long for that space to get snapped up. Assuming they don't ask to much for the spot.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

iamjacobm wrote:
Coyote wrote:The Craigslist help wanted adds for Mula mentioned a coffee shop in the neighborhood. Jacob, you are filling in a few blanks spaces today!
Found another one!

16 apartments going into this building. They will take the awnings off the front and punch windows in the west side of it.
Finally took the awful awnings off this one. Already looks a lot better.
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

iamjacobm wrote:Found another one!
So this is at 3814 Farnam St.?
The owner of record looks like a RE Broker, I don't see projects on their website. So who is proposing the rehab?
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

I like the way the rendering of the building at 41st & Harney makes it look like it floats on a country like windows backdrop. It completely ignores the surrounding building that it will be setting next to it including this 16 unit conversion. http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews ... =300%2C169
SaveOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by SaveOmaha »

U R my Helix wrote:
The owner of record looks like a RE Broker, I don't see projects on their website. So who is proposing the rehab?
Monte Froehlich with U.S. Property out of Lincoln. Prior experience with historic rehabs. Also owns the Quartermaster Depot off 22nd/Woolworth.
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

How did we revive a this old photo post.... Time warp thread?
time warp.jpg
time warp.jpg (12.89 KiB) Viewed 4277 times
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

SaveOmaha wrote:
U R my Helix wrote:
Monte Froehlich with U.S. Property out of Lincoln. Prior experience with historic rehabs. Also owns the Quartermaster Depot off 22nd/Woolworth.
Yes I noticed that I saw that the web site says "for lease" it looked like commercial space leasing, not an apartment for lease site. Will look closer next time. I loved his reference in the Quartermaster property article about it being zombie proof. I think we need a thread on zombie proof sites in Omaha. Just in case!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

iamjacobm wrote:Food vendor rig that will offer "Gourmet Waffle Sliders" is a few days away from their Kickstarter ending. I have seen the kitchen parked behind Scriptown for a while now.

And it looks like they are done, on to a catering business.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Surly Chap Barbers adding online appointments, adding a fourth barber and extending their hours to 8-7 during the week. They are bumping the price though. A haircut there for $15 was a steal though.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Sullivan's patio looking great! Too bad they are just getting it done in time for winter.

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

3910 Farnam, the last bay to the east of Oxide is being renovated into a bar...
mr. omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by mr. omaha »

Lazy-i.com mentioned today the rumored music venue slated for Blackstone. I would not be surprised at all, given the apparent rift between him and Saddle Creek, that this is a new venture backed by Conor Oberst and it will be at the Hotel Frank location.
mattl181
Home Owners Association

Post by mattl181 »

A bunch of new developments announced for the Blackstone area today. Via the OWH:

» At 3921 Farnam St., a 107-year-old inactive storefront previously filled with junk is to be transformed into 1,050 square feet of retail space. Its exposed brick walls, creative floor tile and small outdoor area makes it suitable for a deli, ice cream parlor or unique store, developers said. Redevelopment cost is estimated at $232,000.

» At 3913-3919 Farnam St., a four-unit town home project is to be remodeled, along with a back courtyard area. Rents for the three-bedroom dwellings in the middle of the commercial strip could run up to $1,700. Estimated redevelopment cost is $844,000.

» At 3909 Farnam St., a day care structure built on a slope is to be revamped to provide two levels of shops, some that open onto Harney Street and others to Farnam. Lund likened the tiered look, the French-doored shops and the future facade to that of a downtown New Orleans-style structure. The 5,500-square-foot transformation is to cost about $1.5 million.

» At 124 S. 39th St., a rundown apartment complex built in the early 1960s is being gutted and turned into 30 one-bedroom apartments fashioned with a retro vibe, including black-and-white floors. Features include covered parking and an open-air interior courtyard to be strung with lights. Rent is about $750. The project cost is about $2.3 million.

» At 404-406 S. 40th St., a nine-unit apartment complex will be renovated and leased to UNMC tenants.

» At 3814 Farnam St., a two-story 1916 brick historic building is to become 5,500 square feet of ground-level commercial space and six high-end loft apartments on the upper level. For years it’s been used for storage. Redevelopment cost is about $2.5 million.

http://www.omaha.com/money/blackstone-d ... ca7f5.html
Taco
Human Relations

Post by Taco »

Great projects. Curious (and a little disappointed) as to why so many renovations instead of new construction. I'm all for preserving historical character, but some of those buildings are nothing special. Are there zoning restrictions in place keeping things from going over 2/3 stories? Or is it because the lots are so small?
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Taco wrote:Great projects. Curious (and a little disappointed) as to why so many renovations instead of new construction. I'm all for preserving historical character, but some of those buildings are nothing special. Are there zoning restrictions in place keeping things from going over 2/3 stories? Or is it because the lots are so small?
Mike Harper, is that you??
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Taco wrote:Great projects. Curious (and a little disappointed) as to why so many renovations instead of new construction. I'm all for preserving historical character, but some of those buildings are nothing special. Are there zoning restrictions in place keeping things from going over 2/3 stories? Or is it because the lots are so small?
The neighborhood has good bones, just needed some TLC. They are currently building two new apartment buildings with another larger one announced to begin in a year or two as well. Should be a great mix of new and old.
Taco
Human Relations

Post by Taco »

RNcyanide wrote:
Mike Harper, is that you??
Look at the apartment building on 39th that they are redoing and tell me it has any unique historical value. Other projects, like the one described as "New Orleans-esque" seem far more promising to me.

Some people are skyscraper size queens, im a density guy.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

These recent rehab and infill projects are great examples of healthy incremental development, which shows that the area is making a strong come back. It's great to see buildings get reused even if they aren't historic, assuming the development is worthwhile.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

The rendering for the 3909 Farnam St location where the day care is shows the North side of the building, with two story shops. The caption indicates apartments on the South side but does not indicate the number of units. The property has a lot of parking lot and playground in the rear. Any one know the proposed unit count for this one?
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

These small-scale projects are exactly what a vibrant neighborhood needs to both retain it's character and remain resilient. The large-scale apartments that take 4 or more lots and fill it with one large building are good anchors, but if you build an entire neighborhood of them, you loose the variety and street presence of a mix of smaller buildings with different uses, prices points, and style.

I'm liking the redevelopment of the Blackstone more and more with each new project.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

I totally agree. This thinking should apply to downtown too. So much of the variety it used to have has been lost by "superblock" or whole-block scaled developments, wiping out the rich variety of small-scaled buildings.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

iamjacobm wrote:Not sure if they are reclaiming some of the materials from the homes they are tearing down behind the Dundee Bank location. They seem to be demoing awfully delicately.
That would be a very responsible thing to do.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

iamjacobm wrote:Not sure if they are reclaiming some of the materials from the homes they are tearing down behind the Dundee Bank location. They seem to be demoing awfully delicately.
Yeah, last time I walked past, they had crews of guys removing siding by hand. It clearly wasn't necessary for demolition safety, and any hazardous materials (asbestos siding, etc) had already been removed. I would be interested to know what they're doing.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

I believe the company hired to tear the houses down recycles all of the materials. More of a "deconstruction" rather than demoing it and throwing it all in a landfill.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

I had to run a bike errand down this way last night and noticed they're starting on a new facade on the front of one of those crappy-looking buildings on the south side. It looks like construction is going to keep a pretty steady pace here.
jjjjhskr
Human Relations

Post by jjjjhskr »

I joined the Blackstone Business Association last week and the following was discussed.

The purchaser or 3909 Farnam is putting a restaurant and guitar shop on the north side where the day care was.

5 of the "acorn style" lights that are being put all over downtown and other areas are being put on Farnam St between 39th and 40th this year. There are plans for 30 to be placed on Farnam between midtown crossing and the med center.
Back Home in Omaha!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Just a little north of the Nite Owl, this residence is being renovated into a restaurant:
image.jpg
image.jpg (255.41 KiB) Viewed 3880 times
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

The Garden Court Apartments just north of The Night Owl will be redeveloped by Greenslates into The Slips in Blackstone, 30 affordable ($750) one bedroom apartments.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

frankt wrote:Almost Music from Benson is moving to 3925 Farnam.
And an ice cream store will be going in the brick building to the east (3921 Farnam). I guess the Tap Room is done...
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (180.76 KiB) Viewed 6677 times
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Speaking of Blackstone Improvements... This will be 3907 Farnam (where Ground Floor Guitar is going), a part of Clarity's BD3 projects. They also own 3921 Farnam, where the Ice Cream store will go as well as the two story fourplex building in between (I have to wonder what they might have planned for here). Blackstone Station is also part of the BD3 LLC. Blackstone Station is part of their Blackstone 38-41 LLC Project.

Clarity Development is also involved in the South Hill Rowhouses, 30 Metropolitan, and Blair Commons
iamjacobm wrote:Rendering for the old daycare building. That balcony will be cool.