Blackstone Business Improvement District

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

iamjacobm
City Council

Re: Blackstone Business Improvement District

Post by iamjacobm »

http://hearnebraska.org/new-full-servic ... -craig-fi/
Ground Floor Guitar opens mid-April In Omaha’s Blackstone District, 3909 Farnam St. In addition to guitar and accessory inventory, the shop plans to offer instrument and amp repair, as well as a back-lined rehearsal space.

Its Midtown location means it has the potential to serve much of the Omaha music community.

“It’s so exciting to open up a shop like this in the Midtown area,” says general manager Josh Soto, who also plays in indie/soul band High Up. “Our central location will make it easy for both local musicians and touring acts to grab a quick pack of strings or [other supplies].”

Owner Philip Schaffert says the rehearsal room, in addition to being fully furnished, will house a digital mixer into which bands can plug in to record practices or demos. Similar to radio station environment, players will use headphones to monitor each other.
nwenn
New to the Neighborhood

Post by nwenn »

From Dundee Cycles FB Page:
"Dear Dundee Cycles Friends & Customers,
We are proud to announce our new headquarters at 3924 Farnam Street Omaha, Nebraska. As of April 1, 2016 we will focus only on the Dundee Cycles brand and establishing new Dealerships within the United States. Our new headquarters is still in the Blackstone District in Omaha, Nebraska -- with a storefront located between Scriptown Brewing Company and Archetype Coffee. This space will be a showroom floor, custom build studio, and meeting place for future and current owners of our bicycles. A new shop, Ponderosa Cyclery + Tour will move into the current location at 4011 Farnam Street and will continue as a full service local neighborhood bike shop. We are proud and excited about this next chapter and look forward to your continued support. - Christopher Halbkat"
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Great before and after pics. Would be even better if they tore off the corragated metal siding and changed the paint color or clean it off to expose the natural brick.
Taco
Human Relations

Post by Taco »

This link says that the renovations have begun at the Colonial Hotel. Can anyone confirm or deny? Didn't seem like there was any other new information, but a nice summary.
blackstonefan
New to the Neighborhood

Post by blackstonefan »

Yes, work has begun on the Colonial! All residents have moved out and the house to the north will be demolished in the coming week or so to make way for site work. Interior discovery has been happening for two months or so to make sure historic information is accurate. Given the permitting timeline currently it may be 6-10 weeks before interior remodeling begins.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Coneflower Creamery is going into the location that was going to have the deli. Also the Black Squirrel space was being gutted. The renovated duplexes on Farnam looking good.

Not just get that street put back together.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Taco wrote:This link says that the renovations have begun at the Colonial Hotel. Can anyone confirm or deny? Didn't seem like there was any other new information, but a nice summary.

$1.8M renovations
Taco
Human Relations

Post by Taco »

From OWH:
- the WCA will be moving to 3801 Harney and remodeling the building extensively. Hopes to move in by Dec 2017.
- Korean pop up restaurant opening at Nite Owl.
Taco
Human Relations

Post by Taco »

OWH article today states that Greenslate/Clarity is about to acquire more property along Farnam that will see new construction rather than rehabilitation. Any idea what this could be?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Taco wrote:OWH article today states that Greenslate/Clarity is about to acquire more property along Farnam that will see new construction rather than rehabilitation. Any idea what this could be?
The Joseph's Barbershop building on the NE corner of 38th and Farnam sold this summer. Could see a demo there and a new build potentially.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

It also looks like Kiewit also doesn't own one of the parking lots that I thought they did. Could make it more developable in the future.
nebraska
Library Board

Post by nebraska »

I would love something big on that parking lot west of the Blackstone Hotel. Even better if it includes a large public plaza.

About the barbershop building, if it's been sold, then what's the deal with Hi-Fi?
http://www.omaha.com/columnists/kelly/k ... 3fbfa.html

What I'm looking forward to the most is the NY style deli going into Noli's current space.

- signed future Blackstone resident
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Here is the story:

Blackstone District makes leap from run-down to revitalized in record time
» Set to open later this year are the Blackstone Flats, 3814 Farnam St. The GreenSlate and Clarity $2.5 million project features six high-end lofts and a ground-level restaurant carved out of the century-old former Central Distribution Co. warehouse. A restaurateur, who does not yet want to be identified, has signed a lease for the space that will have an outdoor patio fronting Farnam.

» The 45,000-square-foot former Colonial Hotel, just east of the Flats, is set to open in about one year as 40 upscale apartments and a ground-level pub. The $8.2 million historic restoration project is led by GreenSlate and Clarity.

» Thirteen loft-style apartments, 38 St. Lofts, opened in August in the renovated former Brite Ideas building on the northwest corner of 38th Avenue and Farnam Street. A salon and restaurant are set to open on the ground floor next summer, said owner Travis Freeman. He’s now planning to construct 112 apartments to the west.

» Two commercial tenants, including a full-service restaurant, are expected soon in the retail portion of the Blackstone Station on the northeast corner of 38th Avenue and Farnam Street. The 51 Station apartments, along with the 39 units at the Union at 41st and Harney Streets bring to about 200 the number of units that GreenSlate and Clarity built or rehabilitated in the area.

Also thought this quote was interesting:
Slusky expects that the next step for such an area could be a residential tower.

“With available land and buildings in short supply, and because Blackstone has all the attributes of a truly outstanding real estate location supported by good access, strong employment and central location, the next step should be the addition of high-rise multifamily buildings.”
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Here are a few pics from the World Herald as well:

iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

nebraska wrote:I would love something big on that parking lot west of the Blackstone Hotel. Even better if it includes a large public plaza.

About the barbershop building, if it's been sold, then what's the deal with Hi-Fi?
http://www.omaha.com/columnists/kelly/k ... 3fbfa.html

What I'm looking forward to the most is the NY style deli going into Noli's current space.

- signed future Blackstone resident
Pure speculation on my part. Just that usually when a property sells to a generic named LLC for almost a half million there are bigger plans than a single use commercial bay is all I am thinking.
jelizh
Home Owners Association

Post by jelizh »

Does anyone know what is going in the ground level bay of the blackstone hotel (fronting farnam)? I think it was a fed ex or something a while back, there is quite a bit of work going on in it now.
MSizlack
Home Owners Association

Post by MSizlack »

Was told the national indemnity building will be ground floor retail with condos above. Pointed out to that person property is owned by UNMC. said it will be owned by them.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

MSizlack wrote:Was told the national indemnity building will be ground floor retail with condos above. Pointed out to that person property is owned by UNMC. said it will be owned by them.
Is that building pictured just above called the National Indemnity building or are you talking about their former building on Harney and Turner Blvd?
ShaneofCal
New to the Neighborhood

Post by ShaneofCal »

MSizlack wrote:Was told the national indemnity building will be ground floor retail with condos above. Pointed out to that person property is owned by UNMC. said it will be owned by them.
Will the condos be built on top of the existing structure or will the existing structure be leveled?
MSizlack
Home Owners Association

Post by MSizlack »

Don't know anything specific. An owner of one of the buildings in Blackstone said, he was told, ground retail with condos. Being the lot is owned by NEMed, he was a bit surprised, but with their plans West of Saddle Creek, said he wouldn't doubt what he heard.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

New website for The Blackstone District
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

That barbershop website looks awesome! I wish I could go!
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Looks fantastic!
nebraska
Library Board

Post by nebraska »

Something something about the empty space under the Blackstone Station apartments. The words used were "breakfast spot".

Also the pizza place in the Bright Idea's old spot is finally getting interior work done. I saw some walls going up.

To the east, Stiranella still looks on track to open for Valentine's day. But why someone would go to a new spot for such a busy holiday is beyond me. Can you imagine how overwhelmed that staff will be?
nebraska
Library Board

Post by nebraska »

As mentioned by Brad here, Omaha is on Cheap Eats on the Cooking Channel tonight. 3 of the 4 spots are in Blackstone.
* Meatball
* Crescent Moon
* Coneflower

Also, the name of the salon going in the Bright Ideas building is Oliver and Tate, oliverandtate.com
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

iamjacobm wrote:I wonder with more space if they will get a bigger/second pizza oven. Can get a little backed up sometimes in the one they have now.
Got the answer last night. They are doubling the size of their oven when they move.

On a general note. Blackstone is almost too popular for its size right now, I am not worried about a bubble here. Nite Owl was PACKED last night. Mula was busy. 30 min wait for Pizza at Noli's. Even the ice cream shop had a line almost 10 people deep on a below freezing night. Blackstone Social is always packed to the seams in such a small place. And every time I go by Stirnella it seems to be really full, and that looks like a pretty big place.

It is great to see the area doing so well and great to see what went from a seedy corner when I moved into the area 5 years ago turn into a nightlife anchor for the city.
nebraska
Library Board

Post by nebraska »

Omaha's Blackstone District nears $55 million in total investment, nearly 250 jobs added to neighborhood

"... not a single storefront is vacant right now. Newly constructed spaces have commercial tenants waiting to move in."
Gopher
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Gopher »

Cool story on the district, especially since I was at Coneflower last night! (they have some seriously good flavors). Initially went to Blackstone to get food/drinks at Nite Owl, but had time to get some bike gear at Ponderosa Cycle and dessert at Coneflower. There's much to do in that area.

Plus I learned about Camp n' Rides, where you take all your camping gear with you on your bike to a camp ground. The folks at Ponderosa host a monthly camp trip.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Coyote wrote:Pulp Boutique is about to open to the west of Nite Owl:
Paperie and Gifts in the Blackstone :: Opening February 2015
Express yourself and enrich personal connections in a memorable and distinctive way with our ink and paper created by independent designers and produced by artisinal methods. Our sophisticated and stylish selection of gifts, decor, jewelry and sundries are made in the USA with an emphasis on sustainable practices and social giving.
Did Pulp close? I think that bay in Blackstone Corner is now being marketed as a new restaurant...
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

Developers plan to modernize, restore West Farnam Apartments in renewed Blackstone area

http://www.omaha.com/money/developers-p ... 37a27.html

People in the comments and on Facebook are upset, lol. I think this is great news.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Another midtown close to Blackstone project...
In March Milestone Property bought 3817 Dewey for $750k
And is now putting in $525k to renovate this building:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (97.32 KiB) Viewed 4599 times
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Blackstone District’s ‘3.0’ development includes trio of projects that add apartments, retail space

I was in the Blackstone area for the first time last night and I was completely impressed. I love the rehab of the old buildings but also all the new growth that has come from the surrounding area. We first went to Scriptown Brewery and also had pizza from Noli's. Then I had some ice cream from Coneflower Cremery and then finally we finished at Blackstone Social. All great buildings. I believe someone else mentioned this, but you have to wonder if the Old Market is ever going to update their sidewalks and walkways. The Blackstone area looks clean, fresh and inviting. The Old Market could use a little revitalation and sprucing up while still maintaining it's character. I still despartly want 1113 Howard to get renovated on the ground floor. Right now it is such a dead space right in the middle of the Old Market. At least the space above Stokes is finally being renovated into residences and will no longer be vacant.
nebraska
Library Board

Post by nebraska »

Now's the time to push for a return of sidewalks. (Pedestrian Lives Matter!) There are many places where two people can't pass each other. The return to a two-way street was the first step the neighborhood needed to rebuild, but now we need to take the next step.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Now that the Dundee Bank has finished their renovations to McFoster's they are turning their attention to the other building they bought, the former Danish Brotherhood of America building on the SE corner of 38th & Harney with a $250k office renovation project.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (181.16 KiB) Viewed 4167 times
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/some-sa ... f46b2.html
When University of Nebraska at Omaha student Alexandria Wilson goes to the Blackstone District, she often uses a ride-hailing service because of the hassle of parking.

“You’re wasting more gas driving around trying to find somewhere,” Wilson said.

In fact, if you drive down Farnam Street near 40th on a Friday night, you’ll likely see many cars circling to find a spot near Nite Owl, Mula or Coneflower.

And as visitors to the area compete for spots, there are also residents in the mix. Many of the new apartments in the area feature roughly one stall for every two units, or less than half of what’s required in other parts of the city.

Wilson said when she goes out she expects “a decent amount of public parking to be available, especially in Omaha, where public transit is rather limited.” But she says the Blackstone parking situation forces her into a Lyft or Uber car.

Many Omahans share her expectation of abundant nearby parking, but city planning experts and Blackstone’s developers argue that the area has more of a parking perception problem than an actual shortage. They say that as Omaha grows, the parking situation in more places is going to look a lot more like Blackstone’s than Westroads’.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

So when you create an in demand urban neighborhood people will find alternatives to driving their own car and parking? Shocking.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

They are making the case for better mass transit ie streetcars beautifully.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Have Uber/Lyft caught on much in Omaha? In Chicago that’s mostly all people use to get around when going out on the weekend but here in St. Louis many still expect to drive to nightlife.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:Have Uber/Lyft caught on much in Omaha? In Chicago that’s mostly all people use to get around when going out on the weekend but here in St. Louis many still expect to drive to nightlife.
We use it all the time, pretty much everyone in my group has 0 interest in risking a DUI. It is worth the ten bucks.