Blackstone Business Improvement District

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Busguy2010
County Board

Re: Blackstone Business Improvement District

Post by Busguy2010 »

It's not like that particular area is actually lacking in public transportation. The 2, 3, and 15 are among the best and most used routes Metro has. People just have to open their eyes. Standing at 40th and Farnam, you'd see 15 different buses in an hour.
nebraska
Library Board

Post by nebraska »

Parking in Blackstone District is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo horrible?!?!?!?! Wherever shall I park? Fook it, if I can't park 10 feet from the door then might as well give up and go home.

Don't give me any lip about "some of that is private parking". There are several lots in the area, including UNMC, Clarkson College, Kiewit Tower, and Dundee Bank, that all have time-sharing agreements with Blackstone businesses. The area needs to step up its parking game -and- people need to stop complaining about parking in Blackstone.

There's more parking than parks in Blackstone. Pave the planet and they still complain!

Thank you.
nebraska
Library Board

Post by nebraska »

Same thing, but with bus lines, as was pointed out just a few posts up.

iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I just leave my car parked in my driveway and walk, takes less than 10 mins.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

iamjacobm wrote:
TitosBuritoBarn wrote:Have Uber/Lyft caught on much in Omaha? In Chicago that’s mostly all people use to get around when going out on the weekend but here in St. Louis many still expect to drive to nightlife.
We use it all the time, pretty much everyone in my group has 0 interest in risking a DUI. It is worth the ten bucks.
Honestly I find it bizarre when I hear that someone has driven to one of the bar hotspots. Uber is so convenient for a city as spread as Omaha can be.
TwoPups
New to the Neighborhood

Post by TwoPups »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:Have Uber/Lyft caught on much in Omaha? In Chicago that’s mostly all people use to get around when going out on the weekend but here in St. Louis many still expect to drive to nightlife.
We use Uber on a weekly basis. If you are going somewhere and there is any chance you'll consume alcohol, there is zero reason to drive. Pay the $8-15.

Also, I've read this forum for years, but finally registered because of the unbelievable insanity that is people complaining about parking in Blackstone. If you have a problem walking 2-3 blocks from a readily available parking spot to whatever restaurant/bar/coffeeshop you are going to, then you are lazy. That isn't the city's fault.

Go spend some meaningful time in Chicago, Minneapolis, Denver, Milwaukee or Kansas City and then let's discuss Omaha's "parking problems". Either you want to live in an actual city, enjoy the city's amenities/opportunities, and put up with the completely manageable inconveniences, or you don't want to live in a city. Choose one.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Welcome to eOmahaForums TwoPups!
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

TwoPups wrote:
We use Uber on a weekly basis. If you are going somewhere and there is any chance you'll consume alcohol, there is zero reason to drive. Pay the $8-15.

Also, I've read this forum for years, but finally registered because of the unbelievable insanity that is people complaining about parking in Blackstone. If you have a problem walking 2-3 blocks from a readily available parking spot to whatever restaurant/bar/coffeeshop you are going to, then you are lazy. That isn't the city's fault.

Go spend some meaningful time in Chicago, Minneapolis, Denver, Milwaukee or Kansas City and then let's discuss Omaha's "parking problems". Either you want to live in an actual city, enjoy the city's amenities/opportunities, and put up with the completely manageable inconveniences, or you don't want to live in a city. Choose one.
You have a good point. My thought is that a market they will miss is the 5000 people working at UNMC who have cars and are going to need to get dinner, but will want to move their car from 45th and Leavenworth to somewhere closer. Ubers won't take them 6 blocks to dinner, the car has to be moved, my ultimate destination is say 90th and Blondo, and I want to go home after dinner. Early enough that I can get other things done. Pretty hard to use UNMC's parking whilst it is still at least partially full. Tickets are given and they get enforced. Blackstone becomes an inconvenience. It never gets on our list. Better to go to MTC or the OM.

Ramp that up with people at Children's, UNO, HDR,etc and you see their point.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

bigredmed1 wrote:
TwoPups wrote:

Ubers won't take them 6 blocks to dinner, [...]
It's my understanding that they will take you any distance you want to go. The driver does not know your final destination until you get into the car and they push a button that signals they have picked you up and to start your route. That way they cannot pick and choose which riders will provide the most profitable fares. They could cancel the ride if they wanted to find someone who will provide a more profitable ride, but, besides being an awkward conversation to have with the rider they've just accepted, I'm pretty sure they could quickly get dropped as a driver for too many cancellations.

That said, the fare structure is set up so short rides will still turn a profit. According to the fare estimator on Lyft's website, a Lyft from UNMC to Blackstone will cost you $6. Compared to $7 to the Old Market.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:
bigredmed1 wrote:
TwoPups wrote:

It's my understanding that they will take you any distance you want to go. The driver does not know your final destination until you get into the car and they push a button that signals they have picked you up and to start your route. That way they cannot pick and choose which riders will provide the most profitable fares. They could cancel the ride if they wanted to find someone who will provide a more profitable ride, but, besides being an awkward conversation to have with the rider they've just accepted, I'm pretty sure they could quickly get dropped as a driver for too many cancellations.

That said, the fare structure is set up so short rides will still turn a profit. According to the fare estimator on Lyft's website, a Lyft from UNMC to Blackstone will cost you $6. Compared to $7 to the Old Market.
There is a minimum fare on Uber, I believe. Like $5ish.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Louie wrote:
TitosBuritoBarn wrote:
bigredmed1 wrote:
TwoPups wrote:

There is a minimum fare on Uber, I believe. Like $5ish.
That might vary based on city, but yes there is a minimum fare for ubers/taxis etc.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

bigredmed1 wrote:My thought is that a market they will miss is the 5000 people working at UNMC who have cars and are going to need to get dinner, but will want to move their car from 45th and Leavenworth to somewhere closer.
Let's make this a real-life scenario.

You are parked at 45th and Leavenworth, you walk out the door at 5:00 pm, here are your options:

A) You can get in your car at 5:05 and it takes you 5 minutes to get to 40th and Farnam. You drive east on Farnam to find no open spots, turn around at Dundee Bank, drive west to find no spots. Turn left at 40th, head east on Harney and best case scenario find on street parking at 38th Ave. Your walk to Meatball is three blocks. It is now 5:20, stay there 35 minutes, walk back to your car and drive home to 93rd & Blondo. With traffic on your side, you get home at 6:20.

B) Uber picks you up at the door at 5:10 between putting in your request and waiting for them to show up. You get dropped off at the door of Meatball at 5:14, stay 35 minutes, get back to the parking lot and you're back home by 6:24. You've also spent $12 extra on transportation.

C) You walk to 42nd and Emile and the first bus to show up is the 15 at 5:08. You're in the door of Meatball by 5:13, stay 35 minutes, catch the 15 at 5:51, get off at 42nd & Leavenworth, walk to your car and you're home by 6:20.

D) You walk to Meatball, get there at 5:12, stay 35 minutes, walk back to your car and you're home by 6:25.

Which do you choose?

Honestly, after I put all the options together, I'd probably walk most often. And I'm surprised by how comparable they all are. I thought the Car would be fastest by a long shot and the bus or walking would take at least a half hour longer. Would never take the Uber. I'd drive if there's snow or its super cold and windy, and I'd take the bus when it's super hot.
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

I love the breakdown, but the real thing the buses need to be competitive is GPS. It would eliminate all of the uncertainty in waiting at the stop on an unfamiliar route or location.

All of the other 3 options are predictable. With the bus you don't know if it's going to be 3 or 15 minutes. (This from someone who takes the bus to and from work on average 2 times a week)
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Point I gather is your average adult who works at UNMC doesn't need a parking spot to enjoy Blackstone. Just gotta think outside the box, er outside the driver's seat.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Dundeemaha wrote:I love the breakdown, but the real thing the buses need to be competitive is GPS. It would eliminate all of the uncertainty in waiting at the stop on an unfamiliar route or location.

All of the other 3 options are predictable. With the bus you don't know if it's going to be 3 or 15 minutes. (This from someone who takes the bus to and from work on average 2 times a week)
This is a super valid point. I have an app that tells me how far away buses or trains are here in Chicago, and it also works in NYC, SF, and a lot of other transit heavy cities. It really helps me plan better, particularly around the uncertainty of buses.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Matching holiday lights on all four corners of 40th and Farnam is a nice touch for the Blackstone District.
nebraska
Library Board

Post by nebraska »

• The former Noli's location that is becoming a deli has a name on the window, but I forget what it is.
  • Two story building next to Meatball is almost done with exterior work. (Blackstone Knoll)
  • Dante's Pizza seems to be taking forever to open, but at least they are in the final stages.
  • Bob's Donut and Early Bird have opened. (holy |expletive| look at those donut prices...)
  • WCA's new home is almost finished with exterior work.
  • Colonial Hotel Apartments looks move in ready.
  • Third in a series for Greenslate, the Blackstone Depot, has first floor walled in.
  • Blackstone Corner (the mortuary turned frat house) has dug in pretty good and is getting ready for cement.
  • Dewey 3700 apartments look move in ready.
  • Farnam West renovation has done window replacement, and interior work is coming along.
jjjjhskr
Human Relations

Post by jjjjhskr »

nebraska wrote:
  • The former Noli's location that is becoming a deli has a name on the window, but I forget what it is.
  • Two story building next to Meatball is almost done with exterior work. (Blackstone Knoll)
  • Dante's Pizza seems to be taking forever to open, but at least they are in the final stages.
  • Bob's Donut and Early Bird have opened. (holy |expletive| look at those donut prices...)
  • WCA's new home is almost finished with exterior work.
  • Colonial Hotel Apartments looks move in ready.
  • Third in a series for Greenslate, the Blackstone Depot, has first floor walled in.
  • Blackstone Corner (the mortuary turned frat house) has dug in pretty good and is getting ready for cement.
  • Dewey 3700 apartments look move in ready.
  • Farnam West renovation has done window replacement, and interior work is coming along.
The deli that is going in at the old Noli's is owned by the same people that own Noli's
Also, the bar in the basement of the colonial has a sign up now. Wonder how close it is to opening.
Back Home in Omaha!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I wonder what the district would be like if the Admiral was still there. Why did they bulldoze that?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Coyote wrote:I wonder what the district would be like if the Admiral was still there. Why did they bulldoze that?
Anyone know a bit more about the demo details? All I can really find is that it came down in the mid 90s.

As a general comment on the neighborhood the new apartment project off of Harney by the Dundee Bank is one floor from topping out and the Women's Center for Advancement building looks really sharp thanks to the remodel. I like the new dark look a lot.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I think I read that the Admiral was torn down in 1997 after being vacant for 13 years.
I left Omaha in 1982 when they were still doing crazy Rocky Horror Shows there.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (163.64 KiB) Viewed 6205 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (161.28 KiB) Viewed 6207 times
asherballa
New to the Neighborhood

Post by asherballa »

Ground Floor Guitar (below Meatball) looks like it moved to a new location in Blackstone further west (I think either by or in the old Noli's location).

The rumor mill has it that a karaoke bar and sushi restaurant will be the latest additions to the burgeoning Blackstone scene.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

That would be nice. I know of no other Asian restaurants in that neighborhood.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

asherballa wrote: The rumor mill has it that a karaoke bar and sushi restaurant will be the latest additions to the burgeoning Blackstone scene.
I hear it all be Blackstone Knoll Wok & Sushi Restaurant
indigo
New to the Neighborhood

Post by indigo »

a friend of mine is involved in this, i believe he told me it will be called Butterfish
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Just saw that The Pella is for sale for just under $2m.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

I lived right off that district in Omaha for awhile. Love that area. I used to walk down to a trendy coffee shop there.... Can't remember the name.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

RockHarbor wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:36 pm I lived right off that district in Omaha for awhile. Love that area. I used to walk down to a trendy coffee shop there.... Can't remember the name.
The only trendy one I can think of in that neck of the woods was Caffeine Dreams. They shut their doors about 18 or so months ago..

Pretty good place though..

Today, the Blackstone District is phenomenal. It used to be a depressed sh!thole. Now it's one of the most vibrant mixed use districts in the city. A massive success story...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Not Caffeine Dreams -- I know that place, and like it, too. This one is near that old "Black Squirrel" business (now a pizza place). This place is diagonally across the street. Oh, what was it called? It has wood floors & this rack of bowling alley type chairs when you walk in. Real nice baristas...
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Yeah- I'm drawing a blank on that one.

I lived in the general area from 1989 through 1995 (the Gold Coast neighborhood).. Even back then, that entire area had a nice vibe...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

I lived near the Taco Bell on 37th & Dodge. I could look out my window (very late on weekend nights) and see a non-stop line of cars/tail lights for HOURS, and I would feel sorry for the workers within, constantly hearing "I'll take 2 tacos..." and "I'll take your number 4..." and "I'll take a burrito...hold the cheese" and "Please put a lot of hot sauce in the bag" thru the speaker, late into the wee hours of the morning. Oh, working there would drive me up a wall...I think. :) I'll find the name of that coffee place. It's a simple little name.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

ARCHETYPE COFFEE. Finally looked it up... (Not my fav coffee in the world, but a cute place...imo)
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Going into the space below Meatball what the guitar shop used to be.

https://www.omaha.com/omahadines/rent-a ... 10f73.html
Reno's Karaoke, a private room karaoke bar, will open this summer near 39th and Farnam Streets.

The bar will include themed rooms that customers can rent by the hour. The room themes include "Christmas party, "green room," a 1960s room and a 1970s disco room and "Karaoke Kan," named after the famous Tokyo karaoke bar that appeared in "Lost In Translation."

The private rooms vary in size and can accommodate both small groups and groups up to 20. Each room has a karaoke system that can either be used with a traditional remote or through a smartphone.
Taco
Human Relations

Post by Taco »

2 questions...

1. Is anything happening with the physical therapy building and parking lots? I remember the brite ideas guy wanted to develop them into a 4 story or so mixed use building, but we are past his intended time line.

2. I believe the building on the NE corner 40th and Harney has a new for sale/lease sign up. Did Barchen fall through?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Small building at 140 South 40th Street to get a renovation.

https://planning.cityofomaha.org/images ... ber/19.pdf
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Another restaurant is slated to go into this building.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

So, they are replacing 3 story brick buildings with one 3 story non brick building? How exactly is this “progress”?
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

nativeomahan wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:25 pm So, they are replacing 3 story brick buildings with one 3 story non brick building? How exactly is this “progress”?
Good question.

Blackstone has not been my favorite "improvement district" for the fact it seems to be just tearing down building after building. History doesn't seem to be of much value to most of the developers in the neighborhood. I'm always wondering which building will be next.
Cermak
Parks & Recreation

Post by Cermak »

Agree, that last building looks perfectly fine and doesn’t need to be “torn down”. Unless it’s going to be replaced with something much much better. And the new building doesn’t qualify as anything that much better. Blackstone won’t be Blackstone if they keep tearing down all its cool old buildings.
ScrattyB
Library Board

Post by ScrattyB »

nativeomahan wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:25 pm So, they are replacing 3 story brick buildings with one 3 story non brick building? How exactly is this “progress”?
Nobody is requiring developers to make progress.

This is a project to make the developer money. The city benefits by earning more property tax by having more expensive buildings.