Blackstone Business Improvement District

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

skinzfan23
City Council

Re: Blackstone Business Improvement District

Post by skinzfan23 »

Mapguy wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:58 am

I would love to see the streetcar take the center lane of the road with platforms that serve both directions in the middle.
I think that is a great idea, although probably won't happen, but that allows for parking still and access to the streetcar!
TransitOriented
Library Board

Post by TransitOriented »

Mapguy wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:58 am I would love to see the streetcar take the center lane of the road with platforms that serve both directions in the middle.
Why? Where will they plow the snow to? I'd rather have the stations on either side so I can wait on the sidewalk, and not be stuck on the median. I also hate crossing the street to get to the station because I have to cross street and track. I've never read any papers or studies on station location, but in my experiences, I do not like middle stations in the median.

Further reading : https://nacto.org/publication/transit-s ... ansitways/
Mapguy
Home Owners Association

Post by Mapguy »

Well if the tracks are in the middle theres

1. Less obstructions---people parking cars people stepping out from parked cars that can be hit. Doors swinging open from cars.

2. Faster service. The tracks will share a lane with cars but if its in the center theres an opportunity to widen the road and make the track area dedicated with fening mid block in the future; this would make the service faster and safer.

3. Instead of 2 stations at every stop theres 1 station. 1 station to shovel 1 station to sweep and clean 1 station to build a roof and lighting or heat.

4. A central meridian station would probably slow traffic a bit because drivers would be aware of a razed flatform on their left. It would make the street feel more closed in and pedestrian friendly. It would divide people waiting for a train from those who are walking to their destination. The sidewalks arent wide in blackstone, nothing worse than trying to get through a bloodclot of people standing around blocking the sidewalk.

I agree it wont happen. It would be the best outcome if it was configured like this though.
stadsborgare
Home Owners Association

Post by stadsborgare »

They could eliminate parking spots on Farnam in the busy Blackstone area with no problem. People can park their cars in a less congested area, like on say...26th & Farnam... and take the streetcar the rest of the way. That's kind of the idea of the streetcar.
Athomsfere
Planning Board

Post by Athomsfere »

stadsborgare wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 3:38 pm They could eliminate parking spots on Farnam in the busy Blackstone area with no problem. People can park their cars in a less congested area, like on say...26th & Farnam... and take the streetcar the rest of the way. That's kind of the idea of the streetcar.
I'm on board with this. Center lane stations have always felt the worst to me too. Especially for ADA considerations. But Ita or Garret could come in and shoot that in the foot for me.
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

Post by PotatoeEatsFish »

I hope we can get some parking garages on some of the further west stops on the streetcar. It would allow people to park then travel through Blackstone/The Old Market all in one line and still get to their car. It could really solve a lot of traffic issues in Blackstone and the Old Market.
#SaveTheUglyGrainSilos2024
halgy
Home Owners Association

Post by halgy »

PotatoeEatsFish wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 5:41 pm I hope we can get some parking garages on some of the further west stops on the streetcar. It would allow people to park then travel through Blackstone/The Old Market all in one line and still get to their car. It could really solve a lot of traffic issues in Blackstone and the Old Market.
I assumed that the parking at Midtown Crossing would be used for that. I'm not sure how full they get on busy days, but they one by Wohlner's always seems pretty empty.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

halgy wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:15 am
PotatoeEatsFish wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 5:41 pm I hope we can get some parking garages on some of the further west stops on the streetcar. It would allow people to park then travel through Blackstone/The Old Market all in one line and still get to their car. It could really solve a lot of traffic issues in Blackstone and the Old Market.
I assumed that the parking at Midtown Crossing would be used for that. I'm not sure how full they get on busy days, but they one by Wohlner's always seems pretty empty.
The 9 story Blackstone project will have a few hundred public parking spots that should help with that. Like Halgy said, midtown crossing parking garages can absorb a lot of car users that use the streetcar to get to Blackstone as well. I imagine turner park east will have some substantial parking facilities as well.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

300 parking spots open in Blackstone, attempt to alleviate parking struggles
The new Blackstone parking costs $5 and is a short walk from businesses

Three-hundred parking spots are now open in Blackstone and available to customers. They come from the old Mutual of Omaha employee parking lot off 36th and Farnam. But, it will cost you $5 to park there. For couples celebrating a night out in Blackstone, you might have to drive around a bit before breaking open a bottle of red. Sydney Kading manages Corkscrew Wine and Cheese. She's happy to see a 300-spot parking lot open Tuesday.

skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

That is nice that they finally opened that up, but the story is pretty stupid because they only showed the parking lot once the rest of the time they’re showing people parking at meters or in the street. Haha
Flyer14
Home Owners Association

Post by Flyer14 »

Noticed today the Physical Therapy on the corner of 39th and Farnam had its signage removed from the building, it was Fyzical Therapy & Aquatics. I'm not for sure when or if they announced a move.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Flyer14 wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 6:05 pm Noticed today the Physical Therapy on the corner of 39th and Farnam had its signage removed from the building, it was Fyzical Therapy & Aquatics. I'm not for sure when or if they announced a move.
Not seeing any recent transactions on the property but I'm also not sure I'm looking in the right place. Hopefully it ends up with some good development in the core of Blackstone!
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Garrett wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:16 pm
Flyer14 wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 6:05 pm Noticed today the Physical Therapy on the corner of 39th and Farnam had its signage removed from the building, it was Fyzical Therapy & Aquatics. I'm not for sure when or if they announced a move.
Not seeing any recent transactions on the property but I'm also not sure I'm looking in the right place. Hopefully it ends up with some good development in the core of Blackstone!
I looked today too. Apparently, the people behind Bright Ideas still own that whole stretch including their old building that got redeveloped. I had assumed they sold it all.

There was a rendering for an apartment building on this site and the parking lot next door a decade ago when Blackstone was first starting, maybe they needed to wait out the lease and are moving forward with that plan.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Glad to see that get redone hopefully. Was an odd bird in the middle of Blackstone.
Mapguy
Home Owners Association

Post by Mapguy »

Can we please get rid of the center turning lane on Farnam? With the bollards its basically dead space. I hope that with the streetcar they widen all the sidewalks 2-4 feet and give that road a diet.

Make it 2 lanes. Make left turns illegal nix the parking and make the sidewalks 10' wide on bith sides.

I dont think forcing people to use the streetcar and park on side streets will kill the neighborhood. Its mind boggling how little space pedestrians have on Farnam despite them being everywhere!!!!
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Mapguy wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:01 pm I don't think forcing people to use the streetcar and park on side streets will kill the neighborhood. Its mind boggling how little space pedestrians have on Farnam despite them being everywhere!!!!
In one of the popular areas here there is a HUGE problem with people parking on side streets. Granted, it's much larger than the Blackstone district but those who actually live on the side streets have nowhere for visitors to park and have to deal with drunks, trash, cars parked blocking driveways, cars parked on sidewalks, etc.
First 50 years in Omaha, last 50 in Detroit. Yes, I'm that crazy.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

NovakOmaha wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:35 pm
Mapguy wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:01 pm I don't think forcing people to use the streetcar and park on side streets will kill the neighborhood. Its mind boggling how little space pedestrians have on Farnam despite them being everywhere!!!!
In one of the popular areas here there is a HUGE problem with people parking on side streets. Granted, it's much larger than the Blackstone district but those who actually live on the side streets have nowhere for visitors to park and have to deal with drunks, trash, cars parked blocking driveways, cars parked on sidewalks, etc.
Taking parking out of the core of Blackstone would probably sacrifice around 28 or so spaces per block, so a little over 100 parking spaces total in a
4 block run. The city could even build a small parking garage on 40th/farnam with some on street uses if it really wanted to make up for the lost parking.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
EricHaley
Human Relations

Post by EricHaley »

They need to do something to manage the line for Coneflower Creamery. Literally have to walk in the street because they take up the entire sidewalk.
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

Post by PotatoeEatsFish »

EricHaley wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:25 am They need to do something to manage the line for Coneflower Creamery. Literally have to walk in the street because they take up the entire sidewalk.
A video about it went viral on Tiktok so it’ll just get busier
#SaveTheUglyGrainSilos2024
Trips1
Home Owners Association

Post by Trips1 »

I hate parking lots and love trees but the Clarkson College park at 4012 Farnam needs to go. Than combined with the lot next to it would an extra 60+ spots. The American Red Cross lot to the south also sits empty at night and could be used. I would only support the new lot if the street parking was removed.
Flyer14
Home Owners Association

Post by Flyer14 »

Anyone know anything about the bay that held Butterfish? They were working on new windows it looked like.
skip
Home Owners Association

Post by skip »

Flyer14 wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 5:28 pm Anyone know anything about the bay that held Butterfish? They were working on new windows it looked like.
new 90's theme bar. same owners as Social. I forget the name, but I heard its intended to be a bar you go to before the other bars. has small plates, drinks, and closes earlier than the other bars.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

Trips1 wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 2:36 pm I hate parking lots and love trees but the Clarkson College park at 4012 Farnam needs to go. Than combined with the lot next to it would an extra 60+ spots. The American Red Cross lot to the south also sits empty at night and could be used. I would only support the new lot if the street parking was removed.
That whole area needs to be redeveloped. I posted in another thread about all the parking lots right around Clarkson College that Clarkson owns, many used by Nebraska Medicine. Anyway, it's the eastern terminal for the streetcar and already boasts an ORBT stop. I am hoping they do build parking garages, mixed use/residential buildings where there are currently surface parking.
BIGO88
Home Owners Association

Post by BIGO88 »

The 90s theme bar will be called "First Round"

The new building that just went up down the street has a "Now Leased" sign. Anybody know anything about that one?
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

PotatoeEatsFish wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:35 pm
EricHaley wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:25 am They need to do something to manage the line for Coneflower Creamery. Literally have to walk in the street because they take up the entire sidewalk.
A video about it went viral on Tiktok so it’ll just get busier
One option is to go to the Millwork location.
Dusty
Human Relations

Post by Dusty »

ita wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:57 am That whole area needs to be redeveloped. I posted in another thread about all the parking lots right around Clarkson College that Clarkson owns, many used by Nebraska Medicine. Anyway, it's the eastern terminal for the streetcar and already boasts an ORBT stop. I am hoping they do build parking garages, mixed use/residential buildings where there are currently surface parking.
NO PARKING GARAGES! If you want people to support transit, then you have to make it less convenient for cars. By adding a garage you are encouraging more people to drive and clog up the area. Why build a streetcar if you keep dangling easy car parking in front of them? We need to stop pampering to the "Where will I park" crowd.

Maybe the city can start a helping hand program where they show people how board a bus, a streetcar, etc. Most people have driven a car their entire life. The don't ride the bus because they don't know how or get caught up on absurd misconceptions. It's time we show them how and stop wasting money on unnecessary parking.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Dusty wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:55 am NO PARKING GARAGES! If you want people to support transit, then you have to make it less convenient for cars. By adding a garage you are encouraging more people to drive and clog up the area.
So, I'm a suburbanite who wants to check out Blackstone. For the foreseeable future I will need to drive my car there. What's your solution since parking sucks in Blackstone?

I could take transit, but to meet my friends at Blackstone at 8pm tonight, the OMetro trip planner tells me to start with a 1.7mi walk to the nearest bus stop, then take an 11min bus ride to 114th & Center, wait a half hour, take the Downtown bus 30min to 40th & Farnam so I can get there at 7pm and wait another hour for my friends to arrive.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

almighty_tuna wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:05 am
Dusty wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:55 am NO PARKING GARAGES! If you want people to support transit, then you have to make it less convenient for cars. By adding a garage you are encouraging more people to drive and clog up the area.
So, I'm a suburbanite who wants to check out Blackstone. For the foreseeable future I will need to drive my car there. What's your solution since parking sucks in Blackstone?

I could take transit, but to meet my friends at Blackstone at 8pm tonight, the OMetro trip planner tells me to start with a 1.7mi walk to the nearest bus stop, then take an 11min bus ride to 114th & Center, wait a half hour, take the Downtown bus 30min to 40th & Farnam so I can get there at 7pm and wait another hour for my friends to arrive.
I agree, public transit is only one piece of the bigger picture. Garages will be needed, and garages are way better than surface parking. While the streetcar will benefit a lot of people, the people who live and work in that area will see a greater benefit than people like you that want to pop downtown or midtown for an evening out with friends. Not sure about you, but standing at 114th and Center for a half hour on a cold dark Friday Night sounds awesome. I would assume you are more likely to drive to Blackstone, park in a garage and then have dinner in the Blackstone before hopping on the streetcar to head downtown for a show.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Brad wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:14 am

I agree, public transit is only one piece of the bigger picture. Garages will be needed, and garages are way better than surface parking. While the streetcar will benefit a lot of people, the people who live and work in that area will see a greater benefit than people like you that want to pop downtown or midtown for an evening out with friends. Not sure about you, but standing at 114th and Center for a half hour on a cold dark Friday Night sounds awesome. I would assume you are more likely to drive to Blackstone, park in a garage and then have dinner in the Blackstone before hopping on the streetcar to head downtown for a show.
Yeah I’m super pro transit but I can acknowledge an easier solution to get cars out of Blackstone proper would be to build a parking garage rather than a light rail line down Dodge street.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

Dusty wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:55 am
ita wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:57 am That whole area needs to be redeveloped. I posted in another thread about all the parking lots right around Clarkson College that Clarkson owns, many used by Nebraska Medicine. Anyway, it's the eastern terminal for the streetcar and already boasts an ORBT stop. I am hoping they do build parking garages, mixed use/residential buildings where there are currently surface parking.
NO PARKING GARAGES! If you want people to support transit, then you have to make it less convenient for cars. By adding a garage you are encouraging more people to drive and clog up the area. Why build a streetcar if you keep dangling easy car parking in front of them? We need to stop pampering to the "Where will I park" crowd.

Maybe the city can start a helping hand program where they show people how board a bus, a streetcar, etc. Most people have driven a car their entire life. The don't ride the bus because they don't know how or get caught up on absurd misconceptions. It's time we show them how and stop wasting money on unnecessary parking.
I appreciate your enthusiasm, but I am sorry to disappoint you that parking garages along the streetcar route is part of the city's streetcar plan. As others have already said, for suburbanites, going into the core, like myself, car travel is really the only reasonable option. I mean you could get to it by bus from some places in the suburbs, but it's so inconvenient that unless your can't afford it, you're going to choose to drive. And before you go into expanding suburban bus service, OMetro is mostly limiting future expansion of service in urban Omaha. And rightfully so; it is better built to support transit than the burbs and OMetro will be able to better serve those who would benefit from public transit the most. While I love to dream about extensive public transit, I am also trying to keep expectation level with reality. Thankfully, there are steps being taken to improve it where dollars will be most effectively spent.

Last thought, I would be disappointed if every future parking garage along the route is a freestanding one. If they are mixed used buildings like the 37th West mixed use building in Blackstone, I am all for it.
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

Bars close at 2am. ORBT is spotty past about 10:30pm. Build the parking garages.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Uber
TransitOriented
Library Board

Post by TransitOriented »

nativeomahan wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:22 pm
Uber
Maybe the visitors should also Uber
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

TransitOriented wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:37 pm
Are you an executive at Uber? Perhaps an Uber driver?
First 50 years in Omaha, last 50 in Detroit. Yes, I'm that crazy.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

TransitOriented wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:37 pm
nativeomahan wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:22 pm
Uber
Or use public transpo god forbid.
Dusty
Human Relations

Post by Dusty »

Well, I glad I got some lively reactions! LOL! I'm just frustrated with the city because they are going crazy building so many parking garages. Too many downtown, Aksarben Village, Crossroads, Civic Square, etc. It just seems to never end. We can't spend a penny on busing and bikes, but as soon we get 6 cars circling for premium parking we open the checkbook and build an expensive garage. We need to be more resourceful with our spending. If it was already planned, then fine.

Right now you can drive to Aksarben Village and park in the garage. The bus goes from there to Blackstone.
Dodge St BRT is about 4 blocks from it. I'm sure extending service a few hours would be cheaper than building a garage.
Once the streetcar is built, you will have tons of empty garages downtown to park your car and ride up to Blackstone.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

I think there is still a disconnect for people who want parking at these destination areas. At the end of the day, public transportation works better when the population density of the area is higher. If we want these areas to succeed and have friendly/easy ways to access them (whether walking/bus/streetcar, etc), then guess what....MOVE CLOSER TO THEM. You want residential towers? You want areas with excellent walkability and storefronts that stay open? You want public transportation to succeed? You want to Omaha to have a better urban experience? Move closer to these areas and force developers' hands.

We can ask for everything under the sun in this forum, but people need to live in these areas to make it truly viable. I know this is simplifying the issue, but I am curious just how many people in this forum live in the areas we are so apt to want to grow and densify.
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

I don’t want to live in Blackstone. I want to occasionally go there with friends. You can push public options all you want, but if the choice is:

1. A mix of public transportation and parking garages, or

2. Only public transportation and if you don’t like it, tough!….

…..Option 2 is going to kill Blackstone. Sorry, but you need people beyond the surrounding area to help support a district like this.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Louie wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 5:03 pm I think there is still a disconnect for people who want parking at these destination areas. At the end of the day, public transportation works better when the population density of the area is higher. If we want these areas to succeed and have friendly/easy ways to access them (whether walking/bus/streetcar, etc), then guess what....MOVE CLOSER TO THEM. You want residential towers? You want areas with excellent walkability and storefronts that stay open? You want public transportation to succeed? You want to Omaha to have a better urban experience? Move closer to these areas and force developers' hands.

We can ask for everything under the sun in this forum, but people need to live in these areas to make it truly viable. I know this is simplifying the issue, but I am curious just how many people in this forum live in the areas we are so apt to want to grow and densify.
That’s part of it, but there also needs to be a continuing push to allow more housing types to accommodate different needs. Zoning reform should be pushed so that more areas can evolve into potentially being able to support transit.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Dusty
Human Relations

Post by Dusty »

NEDodger wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 5:49 pm I don’t want to live in Blackstone. I want to occasionally go there with friends. You can push public options all you want, but if the choice is:

1. A mix of public transportation and parking garages, or

2. Only public transportation and if you don’t like it, tough!….

…..Option 2 is going to kill Blackstone. Sorry, but you need people beyond the surrounding area to help support a district like this.
Oh the irony! Right now our infrastructure is forcing everyone to drive a car. If you don't like it, tough! This is why I'm always pushing for better transit and bike infrastructure to create options for those who are not privileged or choose not to own a car.

Regardless, I'm not taking all parking away from Blackstone. I'm not forcing you to ride the bus. I'm just saying we are jumping to conclusions to build a garage when we see a spike in activity. So we prematurely build an expensive garage not knowing the outcome. I believe when the streetcar is built you will see the crowd of cars disperse. They will park downtown and ride the streetcar to Blackstone. They will park at Aksarben and ride the bus to Blackstone. Some people will still drive and that's okay. The sky does not fall when you can't find parking 5 feet from the front door, you just find other ways to get there.

In my mind, Park Omaha should be pushing a campaign now. Limited parking in Blackstone, no fret! Park in one of own downtown garages and ride the Farnam bus to Blackstone.

I'll add...if we still feel the garage is still necessary, then fine. I would have to side with Ita then. Build a garage that is multi-purpose. Commercial/retail bays on bottom with cars on upper floors. I would even add bike parking on the ground level as well.